Premed 101 Forums

Ireland

Guest Jimbo

Guest newbee

I see your dilema, Kara,

Alot to think about for you, that is for sure.

I was wondering Kara, did you complete the first degree and get less than ideal marks in all the years? Then did you opt for the second degree where you achieved the high marks? If so what did you do your second degree in and what do you think helped you make such an improvement? Anyways, it sounds like your doing great on on your way!!!

On a side note I have a friend in Pharmacy at UofT and she absolutely loves it. They just had a US pharmacy firm take the whole class to the US to woo them, show them around their stores and to talk about the incentives they want to offer such as signing bonuses etc.

anyways Good Luck to you friend ;)

Newbee

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

newbee,

During my first degree, I began university as part-time student and I only took 3 cources. I got a 2.0 GPA for those 3 courses. I did very little work. The next year I took 4 courses and did better but still was not studying much. In my third, fourth and fifth years I took a full course load (5 full courses/year) and worked harder and did pretty well. Improvement for me was simply taking school more seriously and spending more time studying.

Yep, pharmacy is a good field but that Pharmacy test coming up in less than 2 weeks is worrying me, because you need to get a minimum score on it or you get axed regardless of your GPA. I know of some individuals who had high GPAs who got outright rejections because of failing that component.

Guest newbee

Hey Kara,

The Pharmacy test is obviously as you know not the PCAT but more of a "skills" assessment test. My friend strongly suggested that you spend some time shadowing a pharmacist prior to the test. This will provide you with great insights into what they actually do (as a big part of the test is understading exactly what the role of the pharmacist is within the health care system and within society). I would also suggest really conceptualizing why you would like to be a pharmacist as this is also a big part of the test. Plan some well thought out answers before hand and you should be fine.

BTW Kara, How far along are you in your second degree? What subject was your first degree (ie the first five years ) in? IF the second is a BA so you think that a BA is easier than a Bsc?

Anyways if you like me to dig up more info about the Pharmacy test from my friends just say the word ;)

Take Care and Good Luck to you

Newbee:)

Newbee,

Thanks a lot for all the Pharm info. There were some useful posts on that topic in the U of T thread.

My first degree was BSc in Neuroscience. Wrt my second degree, I'm currently in the third year of a 5 year degree program (BSc- Radiation sciences). They transferred 10 courses from my first degree to use toward my second degree.This year they changed this degree program to 4 years.

My only experience with Arts courses are philosophy and English. I did well philosophy courses but got smoked in the only English course I took. So I guess it depends on what arts course you're taking just as it depends on what science course you're taking. Moreover, I think it's an individual thing.

Guest kellyl20

Is this offered at UT only? Would this lead to a technician radiation job treating oncology patients? ie docs write out the prescription and the technicians delivery the dosages?

Guest Badkarma25

hi there,

right now i think of u of t is the only school to have such a program but i know they are being set up at a bunch of schools (mac too) because the province has changed the regulations; in order to be a radiation tech you will now need a university degree instead of a college diploma so a lot of unis are setting up these b.sc. programs.

Kelly20;

Yep, it's at U of T. The radiation sciences has 3 options:

1. Rad Therapy-which is what you mentioned but also

2. Rad (x-ray) tech.

3. Nuclear Meds

Upon completion, you get a BSc from U of T and Rad Tech diploma from michener. Graduates also have the option to specialize in MRI, CT, ultrasound, Angiography, etc.

Guest newbee

Hey Kara:

Sounds like that will be a great career right there!!! Is it not? I guess you don't really have to worry about pharmacy school etc, b/c grads from the rad tech program have a 100% employment rate, do they not?

Is that what you are thinking about doing, staying with the career that the degree will offer you?

If I may ask, is it an expensive program? Are you finding it more difficult to pay for in comparison to the regular undergrad that you completed?

Thanks again

Have a great week ;)

Newbee:p

newbee,

It's a pretty good field but you don't have as much independence as a doc or pharmacist has. It's very hard to open your own x-ray clinic which is what I was interested in, at least in Canada (unless you're a radiologist). Anyway, that's what I've been told. I would have liked the option of being able to work for myself. I don't like working for somebody else.

Yes, you are pretty well guaranteed a job (there's a major shortage of all techs) even before you graduate but one complaint I hear from techs is that the pay is not that great (~$40,000 starting salary) although that may change in the near future as they are seeking a 23% pay increase to the same level as nurses.

Tuition is about $6000/year which isn't too bad especially since I live in Toronto. I'll definitely stay with this program if I don't get any other offers in pharm or med but it is my third choice.

Guest avaid

hey guys

just wondering has anyone else other than Moses got a reply.

did anybody else apply to the six year program like me because the wait is just killing me.

keep in touch and good luck to everybody

talk to youll soon

Guest DMacLach

Congratulations MOses! Hey guys, I called the AB the other day and asked about UCD...they told me that unfortunately I wasn't in the first round picks (but i wasn't rejected) and "this is often the case so hang in there and we'll let you know". So you can call and find out if you haven't received any word. They didn't know about Trinity decisions as of yesterday. Good luck to everyone!

Guest Badkarma25

hey all,

i'm wondering if someone out there can clarify something...i hear talk about how AB has a first and second round of decisions and that the first round has been sent out (to people like MOses)...my question is, are these offers being sent out to people who are more attractive (in terms of grades etc) or because these people applied back in nov/dec instead of jan/feb...i'm not saying that if you applied in nov/dec and received an offer that it's ONLY because you applied early, but i'm just wondering how much of a role that plays...i HATE waiting...i have never called AB once yet...i'm wondering if i should tomorrow...just for shits and giggles...last thing i need to hear is them saying "Sorry but no". later everyone.

Guest avaid

hey guys thanks alot for replying

i will call AB tommorow and find hopefully some good news take care and good luck keep in touch everybody

• 1 month later...
Guest redshifteffect

Hey guys,

I was in the same boat as most of you a couple of years ago...

I applied right of highschool and haven't done a degree in Canada.

I'm currently in my second year of Med at the University of Tasmania.

Point is that I applied to RCSI and Trinity college. I got in, and I got a year off my TC admission...but the thing about trinity college is that they didn't have a residence, and I wasn't sure I wanted to move to a city I knew nothing about without some confirmed place to live....RCSI doesn't have that problem but it's more expensive.

If you guys are really into a 6 year program why not consider australia? there are 6, 5 and even 4 year programs here...and it's a lot cheaper because our dollar is worth slightly more.

Anyway it's something to consider.

Archived