Premed 101 Forums

so what do i do now?

I started my degree at UofT St. George and completed 2 years. In each of those 2 years, I only took 4/5 course load and my cGPA for those two years was 3.11. I was negatively affected by my situation at home and by my unsatisfaction with the student life at U of T. I transferred to McMaster and took a full courseload (5/5). My GPA for the year was 3.24. As a result of the transfer, I am required to do an extra year of undergraduate studies.

I know I can raise my GPA up in the next 2 years, but will it be enough? I didn't take a full load for two years and I won't be able to finish my degree in 4 years. I'm supposed to be studying for my DAT in November, but i'm not sure if it's even worthwhile, given my situation.

I'm considering american and australian schools and possibly doing a master's degree. Any advice?

I started my degree at UofT St. George and completed 2 years. In each of those 2 years, I only took 4/5 course load and my cGPA for those two years was 3.11. I was negatively affected by my situation at home and by my unsatisfaction with the student life at U of T. I transferred to McMaster and took a full courseload (5/5). My GPA for the year was 3.24. As a result of the transfer, I am required to do an extra year of undergraduate studies.

I know I can raise my GPA up in the next 2 years, but will it be enough? I didn't take a full load for two years and I won't be able to finish my degree in 4 years. I'm supposed to be studying for my DAT in November, but i'm not sure if it's even worthwhile, given my situation.

I'm considering american and australian schools and possibly doing a master's degree. Any advice?

First of all, not all hope is lost!! most Canadian schools will drop your worst year of school, and some (e.g. UWO) will look at your best two years - so if you can raise your GPA then that would improve your chances in Canada. Make sure to take a full course load though - otherwise schools can look down on those years!

Doing an extra year of undergrad will not hurt you either, esp if schools look at your best years, because it just gives you one more year to improve your marks.

I don't know very much about Australian schools, but I do know that American schools will accept people with GPAs that are even under 3.0. That being said, improving your marks can only better your chances, but it is definitely an option!

a master's degree may help you at certain schools (e.g. U of T), and it will ESPECIALLY help you in the states where they calculate your graduate GPA separate from the undergrad GPA. for other schools (e.g. UWO) it doesn't make as big of a difference as they still mainly look at your undergrad GPA.

finally, you need to sit down and look at your timeline, but you should be aware that DAT scores at schools expire (I think most expire after 2 years, but some could be after 3). if you write the DAT this november, just make sure it won't expire before you have time to raise your GPA!

good luck :)

hey thanks for the encouragement.

I have another concern. UofT and McMaster structure their first year chemistry curricula differently and so I had to retake Intro organic chemistry II at McMaster after I had completed it at U of T. Does anyone know if this will appear as a repeated course or if I should let admissions know that I had to retake organic chemistry II to fullfill that credit at McMaster?

Archived