Premed 101 Forums

First year summer block

Guest rubberoduck

Guest rubberoduck

Hi all,

I read in the information package that the four months of summer for first years must be spent working for an MD or PhD. I have a research position in mind with an MD who is also a faculty at UofT. I was told during the tour that first years are not allowed to work for institutions/hospitals outside of the McMaster and its affiliations. I was wondering if upper year students can give me a hand on this? Am I allowed to work for this MD? I have a project with him this year that I would like to carry over to next year. If you can answer my question, I thank you for your time and effort; if not, can someone tell me who I should contact for this sorf of stuff?

Guest MDHopefully2005

Unfortunately you're not allowed working in other hospitals that are affiliated with another medical school during your first year electives. You CAN work outside of McMaster, just not at another medical school You ARE allowed working at other schools during clerkship but not before. You could continue to work with this doc doing a HORIZONTAL elective, which would be anytime from Sept to the end of June, but the July-Aug elective time (where you are "working" all day in a hospital or clinic) is the issue. Also, it's not four months in the summer, it's only two months of BLOCK elective time (July and August).

Not being allowed to work at a non-McMaster (but university-affiliated) hospital is because of the host school, and NOT McMaster. They don't want you taking spaces from their students, especially prior to clerkship.

I'm not positive, but there are ways around it though. For instance, you could contact the doctor directly, which you have, and bypass administration. However, your situation should be even easier since you're working on a research project...UT's issue is more with students taking valuable clinical positions.

My opinion? You should have no problem working for him.

Guest rubberoduck

Thanks guys! That was really helpful information. So the summer block is only two months? Does that mean I'm still in school taking classes from Sep to June?

Based on what you have said, that the problem working outside of McMaster lies with the host school (in this case, UT), I may have some problems getting this doctor to take me in, since that does literally take the spot away from another undergraduate/medical student. I will ask to find out.

If I can't work at UT, what places are available for me to work at during the summer elective? What type of work is usually involved?

Thanks again

Guest MDHopefully2005

Hey again,

Yeah we have class from Sep-Jun ( I assume it will be the same for your class) then the 2 months of elective, then back to "class" again.

If you don't work at U of T, you can pretty much go ANYWHERE (again not affiliated with another medical school). We have people going to Uganda, the US, Britain, Bahamas, Veitnam, Australia, all over Ontario, several in Nova Scotia, and really anywhere else you want. And they are doing all sorts of different specialties in these places, from plastics to peds to family medicine. Half way through the year they do a little talk for you about summer electives, how to find a preceptor and where to go. It's not nearly as scary as it sounds. I remember thinking wow I can choose anywhere and in anything, where do I start! But they really are good in helping direct you towards possibilities.

Hope this helps!

Guest MDWannabe

Things may have changed since my summer block, which was in 2003, but we were able to do our 2 month block anywhere. Getting U of T approval was a big pain in the butt, though. You do all the work to arrange it, and you must give U of T something like 4 months' notice of your intention to do the elective, and then you pay U of T something like $300/month for the privilege of doing the elective or block with them.

Just so you know....!

I doubt the doctor will care where you're from. It's just the UT administration that would care, but that's only if you're taking a spot on the ward (which you're not).

Guest MDWannabe

More I'm just making the point that they don't make it easy to get a spot there, even when you arrange it yourself and do all the work.

Archived