Premed 101 Forums

DAT prep package

I was going through all my dental prep stuff and figured I might as well sell it all now since I don't need them anymore.

Here's what I have (I'd like to sell it all as a DAT prep package, it should be pretty much all you'd ever need to prepare for the Canadian or U.S. DAT) :cool:

- Kaplan DAT 3rd ed. with CD-ROM: slight shelf wear, highlighting, notes galore

- Schaum's Outlines: Biology, 2nd ed., some highlighting

- Schaum's Outlines: General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry, a few notes

- IQ Publications: PAT Form A, very minimal pencil markings

- IQ Publications: PAT Form B, clean

- IQ Publications: PAT Form C, clean

- IQ Publications: Chemistry and Biology (3 full length tests), clean

- IQ Publications: Soap Carving (includes 10 sample exam figures), some pencil markings and notes

- DAT Secrets by MO Media 2004: Success strategies, how to guess, tips on PAT, tips on RC, tips on Quantitative reasoning (U.S.), Outline of Biology and Chemistry terms to know, sample questions, formulas, includes some highlighting and pencil marks

- 6 official untouched CDA soaps (light green)

- 8 untouched soaps from another Canadian company that no longer sells the soaps, same dimensions as the CDA just a little more waxy (light blue)

- 1 soap I made myself with very similar dimensions, a bit more waxy than they blue (white)

- 4 random soaps (includes CDA, blue, white) that I carved or started to carve, can still be used to practice on and finish up

- 1 carving X-ACTO knife, one new blade, and one of the older blades (fairly worn)

- 3 paper rulers (one official CDA-with backing torn off for extra traction, and two random rulers)

- ADA 2006 DAT prep book: contains full Natural Science (with Organic), full PAT, 1 passage for RC, full QR, clean

- CDA DAT prep manual: almost exact same thing as ADA but has a carving section, no organic, no QR

- Kaplan DAT practice test: full Natural Science, shortened PAT, 2/3 RC, 1/2 QR

- TopScore Canadian DAT cd (3 full tests)

- TopScore U.S. DAT cd (3 full tests)

- 1 full test with no markings

- Notes galore: test prep stuff, spiral bound book with animal physiology notes from undergrad, spiral bound book with general chem notes from undergrad, some biology notes I wrote out

- 6 or so random test copies from older books I found a while back, some have writing on them

- I probably also have some other random notes about some dental schools as well if you'd like them

Overall, this is a pretty large package. If you're in the London or Toronto area it would be easier to meet up to pick up the prep package.

I'm selling it all for 250$.

If you have any questions about the package pm me.

Good luck with all of your DAT preparations :D

• 2 weeks later...
Yup I made my own soap :rolleyes: I used an apple corer and some other kitchen tools to shape some pieces of white soap...it was fun!

At the moment I have the package on hold for another person, but I am away right now and can't ship it.

Hi AllSmiles,

would you be able to give us the exact receipe? what tools you needed, instructions, details, etc? it would be great if i didn't have to keep buying the soap from CDA. thanks!

Hi AnnaBanna,

Well I just went to the dollar store and bought the most rectangular soap I could find. You don't want one that has sloping sides, you want it to have sharper corners. Then I cut the soap longitudinally into three "fingers". Be careful that it doesn't ship by using a sharp knife and putting even pressure on the soap. Then I stood up one of the fingers and used an apple corer (which is made of metal and has a circular part in the middle to cut the core out of an apple)

Like this one: http://www.culliners.co.uk/images/NGKW10.jpg

The diameter was a bit too large still so I used a plastic spaghetti measurer to gradually shave down the diameter.

Like this one (there are also metallic ones): http://www.kitchenniche.ca/images/imagecache/spaghetty%20measurer%20fox%20run.jpg

Just make sure you push down straight otherwise your soap won't have the proper dimensions. And then I just trimmed up the edges to make it the proper length.

Obviously it won't be exactly like what CDA gives you but it is good to start working on. Experiment with different soaps since some are more waxy than others.

If you have any other instruments in your kitchen that will do the similar thing, then go for it. I just searched through the kitchen looking for something with a small circular cut-out.

Hope that helped ;)

Man you guys are nerds.....then again I guess we all are. Great to see the excitement about the whole application process. I didn't take the soap seriously and only practised on what the CDA sent me in my package. I barely got the soap marks I needed to get into the U of A. Anyway, I do recommend that those of you applying to schools that take the soap seriously do as much carving as possible. And good luck.

ps. Has anyone else used their extra soap to shave in the shower....works like a champ:) .

Alberta '12

Hi AnnaBanna,

Well I just went to the dollar store and bought the most rectangular soap I could find. You don't want one that has sloping sides, you want it to have sharper corners. Then I cut the soap longitudinally into three "fingers". Be careful that it doesn't ship by using a sharp knife and putting even pressure on the soap. Then I stood up one of the fingers and used an apple corer (which is made of metal and has a circular part in the middle to cut the core out of an apple)

Like this one: http://www.culliners.co.uk/images/NGKW10.jpg

The diameter was a bit too large still so I used a plastic spaghetti measurer to gradually shave down the diameter.

Like this one (there are also metallic ones): http://www.kitchenniche.ca/images/imagecache/spaghetty%20measurer%20fox%20run.jpg

Just make sure you push down straight otherwise your soap won't have the proper dimensions. And then I just trimmed up the edges to make it the proper length.

Obviously it won't be exactly like what CDA gives you but it is good to start working on. Experiment with different soaps since some are more waxy than others.

If you have any other instruments in your kitchen that will do the similar thing, then go for it. I just searched through the kitchen looking for something with a small circular cut-out.

Hope that helped ;)

Hi AllSmiles,

Thanks for the reply! I'll try it out. One question: I have a hard time judging my carvings. How did you judge your own carvings? Thanks again.

Hi AllSmiles,

Thanks for the reply! I'll try it out. One question: I have a hard time judging my carvings. How did you judge your own carvings? Thanks again.

Well I got my parents to look at them since both know a lot about design and I thought it would be a good idea to have an extra set of eyes look at my carvings. I also took ROCK the DAT in London, and the instructors graded a couple of my soaps and gave me some good feedback. So that really helped too.

I don't think i'd even want to attempt shaving with the CDA soap...doesn't smell that nice :P And yes, I am a bit creative :cool:

Well I got my parents to look at them since both know a lot about design and I thought it would be a good idea to have an extra set of eyes look at my carvings. I also took ROCK the DAT in London, and the instructors graded a couple of my soaps and gave me some good feedback. So that really helped too.

QUOTE]

AllSmiles, thanks.

Maybe I should take a DAT course. How do others judge their own carvings? Any advice would be helpful.

Well I've sold nearly everything in my dental package except one book:

- IQ Publications: Soap Carving (includes 10 sample exam figures), some pencil markings and notes (25$)

I'd prefer to sell it to someone in the London area.

PM me if you are interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived