Premed 101 Forums

Western Course Selection

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was skimming over this thread and couldn't see whether someone had suggested Human Toxicology. I graduated from the Hons Path/Tox program a few years ago and took Dr. Gideon Koren's Human Tox course in fourth year. I'm not sure what the course code is these days (since they changed it to the 4 digit coding system), but in the 2006/2007 school year it was Pharm/Tox 466A. It was very clinically oriented and inspired me even more (not that I needed it) to pursue medicine. Dr. Koren is the Ivey Chair in Molecular Toxicology, and a Professor of Medicine, Pediatrics, and Pharmacology/Toxicology at UWO, and the Director of the Motherisk Program at the Hospital for Sick Children. Additionally, he is a professor of Pediatrics, Pharmacology, Pharmacy, and Medical Genetics at the University of Toronto. This is the kind of guy you want to be learning from.

If you want research experience in Toronto or London, he is a great person to get to know as well. Pubmed him and see how many publications he has- I can tell you that this is an underestimate too (he has more papers than I have ever had dollars in the bank haha).

Other favourite courses of mine were Systemic Human Anatomy, Mammalian Physiology, Enviro Path, and Forensic Path. The thesis based program was incredible (organized by Dr. Candace Gibson) and I found it extremely useful. I would recommend it to anyone in the medical sciences (not just people geared towards research).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived