Premed 101 Forums

Letters of Reference

Hey ..just wondering if your letters of reference need to be Originals (or can they be photocopied?)

do they need to be from the current application year (or can they be from last year?)

If i dont get accepted and reapply, do they have to be new reference letters? from a new reference?

thanks!

Well I've applied to many schools in the U.S. and Canada and out of all those schools, the requirement is that they are originals in a sealed envelope. I believe they are supposed to be from the current application year, since they are supposed to represent a current perception of who you are. Schools typically require new reference letters if you reapply, but they may keep your old ones on file if you ask them. I would contact the schools in case you are worried about getting new reference letters. You don't necessarily have to get a new referee but get him/her to update the letter.

Oooh. I finally got a stalker-ish fan. Hahaha.

I think I have been here too long sometimes, but until I don't have time anymore, I will likely stick around.

Hahaha!!! Not what I meant man!

I mean I usually listen more closely to people who have experience rather than those who follow speculation and doubts.

As for the OP: Photocopy = bad.

The LORs need to be treated as confidential material that could not have been tampered with. They should be sent directly from the referee.

Archived