Premed 101 Forums

What to do...

Guest jlee629

Hello everyone,

I m just shocked right now that I will have no chance for U of T, McGill,

Dalhousie, UBC etc dental schools, and that only shot I will have is for UWO

dental school.

Is this the case? and if it is... should I retake the english course next summer?

What are my options?

Hey,

What's different from U of t, McGill, Dal, and UBC from UWO?

I realise that U of T and UWO don't require English but they still calculate all your marks into your average...

One 55% will not kill your average.. if thats a 0/4.0 (im guessing) and you have a 95% which is probaly a 4.0 over I'm assuming 30 credits.. then 33 credits with (30*4.0+3*0.0)/33 = 3.6 for your 2nd year. Average that out with your 1st year of a 4.0 and you have a 3.8 average. Still very competitive for any professional school in Canada.

And this is only your worst case scenario. I could see some schools overlooking that 55% anyways. Not to mention some schools take all 3 years.. so your 3.6 for that year will be averaged out with more of your better years. If I were you I'd take another English (not redo the same one) to show you can actually get a good mark in English courses and that you aren't illiterate (no offense).

Why are you taking english courses in the summer? can't you take it in the regular school year? Are you afraid?

Don't jump off a bridge or a tall building at your school. Marks will come and go. Let loose a little bit. For ****'s sake.

Okey, well don't fret too much.

I can only speak about the two Ontario schools, but for UWO, as you probably know, you have nothing to worry about because they do not look at summer courses.

For UofT, they lump in the summer course with the prior year, so your 2nd year. That 1.00 you got in English, will likely drop your GPA by around 0.5, however with your other 4.0 or near 4.0, you'll still be moderately competitive when it averages out. UofT will take your 2 best years though, so if you apply during 4th year, they can take your 1st and 3rd year and disregard the 2nd year. This should alleviate some stress. UofT, unlike UWO, does not consider the marks of your application year for admittance, so if you want to apply during 3rd year to UofT, you will have no choice but to use your 1st and 2nd year.

I am not too sure how redoing the course works for each school. They might take the higher mark, or average the marks or not care. Contact each school to see what they say. But for UofT, if you apply in 4th year like most people you might not have to even consider your 2nd year.

Anyways, many schools take your best x years or courses so you are not in a bad situation if you apply during your 4th year. If you want to apply during 3rd year things can be a little more complicated. Keep up the good work and if you maintain an average in the 90's, do well on your DATs, and can communicate well with others I think you are likely to get in somewhere.

I agree with all the responses above regarding summer courses and best 3 years.

I also want to add that I think you can send in a 1 page explanation of any extenuating circumstances that arose that may have affected your marks (ie, health issues).

From the UofT dental admissions website:

If there is information that you would like to bring to the attention of the Faculty of Dentistry to assist in the assessment of your qualifications, please present this information (not to exceed 750 words) on standard-size paper and include it with the application. Only submit this letter if you have any extenuating circumstances you want to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. Do not send in resumes, C.V.'s, essays, or reference letters with your DDS application. They will not be considered by the Admissions Office."

Based on your first two years, I think you've shown your very qualified to enter dental school. I don't think the admissions committee would hold one bad summer course against you, especially if you have a reason for it.

...can communicate well with others I think you are likely to get in somewhere...

I guess that's the key here - from reading some of your posts, jlee629, can I assume English is not your first language?

That may be a problem. I'm not being prejudiced here, but in all honesty, have you ever seen a dental student (besides the ones from the international dental program) that cannot communicate english effectively(eg. without hard accents)? I'm also from an ethnic background but I'm 2nd generation, which means I had the opportunity of overcoming this potential obstacle.

Well, if this is the case, try speaking more english with your friends and family more. It can only help develop your communication skills.

Honestly here. I think interviewers will look at speech impediments, accents... etc. with more emphasis than most would acredit for. The applicant can be ultra smart, but when the interview comes, it can completely change things around. Equality my A$$...

... calm down there... My comments weren't remotely close to any attempts to dismiss your qualifications.

You're obviously smart enough, judging by your gpa, but what I said is reality. For example, if two people during their interview had the same answers, but they both conveyed it in different manners. One is able to bring out their message clearly, while the other has a speech impediment.

Whether you like it or not, the interview is still very subjective, and in the end, the presentation of your answers will count for a significant portion of your interview score. (Do you appear confident enough? Do you appear to be dishonest? Again, was it easy to understand your answer(ie. thought processes)?)

My suggestions are only here to help, but if you don't agree with them - then that's not my problem is it? This 'fair' competition amongst predents is not as fair as it appears.

In the end, if indeed you have no problems with your English then you shouldn't have to worry about it. I only hope for your sake that it's true.

samsung999...

That may be a problem. I'm not being prejudiced here, but in all honesty, have you ever seen a dental student (besides the ones from the international dental program) that cannot communicate english effectively(eg. without hard accents)? I'm also from an ethnic background but I'm 2nd generation, which means I had the opportunity of overcoming this potential obstacle.

Well, if this is the case, try speaking more english with your friends and family more. It can only help develop your communication skills.

Honestly here. I think interviewers will look at speech impediments, accents... etc. with more emphasis than most would acredit for. The applicant can be ultra smart, but when the interview comes, it can completely change things around. Equality my A$$...

I dont know what you are trying to say here... but I know for a fact that my english is decent, and I will have no problem with it during my interview.

Also, dental schools dont care about accents... that is the most rediculous thing i have ever heard... you make me laugh

I guess that's the key here - from reading some of your posts, jlee629, can I assume English is not your first language?

LOL!!!! Samsung, are you in dental school / medical school? I think your comments were a bit out of line. So you are saying that immigrant basically has no chance in pro fac? Yes interview can be bias. Heck I am an interviewer for the past 2 years. Damn even home grown who is fluent in English can have trouble expresses idea during high stakes situation!

As for OP. don't worry about the 55 in your english course.. Even in UT, you still have another year of grade to take into account it will soften the effect of 1 bad mark!

________

Bmw R32 History

ok i am an immigrant...english is not my first language..i still have accents....and i am in dental school

this is a clear example that language difficulty is not a big problem...given that you do well in other aspects and that people understand what you are talking about

LOL!!!! Samsung, are you in dental school / medical school? I think your comments were a bit out of line. So you are saying that immigrant basically has no chance in pro fac? Yes interview can be bias. Heck I am an interviewer for the past 2 years. Damn even home grown who is fluent in English can have trouble expresses idea during high stakes situation!

As for OP. don't worry about the 55 in your english course.. Even in UT, you still have another year of grade to take into account it will soften the effect of 1 bad mark!

lol... yes I am a dental student and no, i did not mean they have absolutely no chance. I do believe immigrants have a disadvantage(hey, my parents were immigrants and i know how hard it was for them). Of course as long as they can communicate well, things should be fine.

ok i am an immigrant...english is not my first language..i still have accents....and i am in dental school

this is a clear example that language difficulty is not a big problem...given that you do well in other aspects and that people understand what you are talking about

That's exactly what I'm trying to say. I would've never guessed english was your second language by the way... and congrats!

one of the first year dental students who gave us a tour at the UWO interviews this year had a really thick accent, fyi.

So what. I remember there was a first year dental student at U of T, who also had an accent. However, she was pretty far down on the waiting list. Not only that, it was her second time applying.

She's a really nice person though, and I'm glad she had been accepted in the end.

to clear somethings up...

1. does U of T look at best 2 years or best 3 years?

2. if I were to apply to U of T during my 4th year, would I be able to use my

4th year marks?

Thanks everyone.

No hard feelings jlee629? haha, I never had any intention of insulting you and I do apologize if i have offended you.

U of T will look at your best 2 years if you are studying in your 4th year of university, during your application year. Ultimately here's what they said: "* The worst academic year will be dropped from the calculation of an applicant's cumulative grade point average provided that (a) the applicant has completed four or more years of university education by May 31st of the proposed year of entry, and (B) the year with the lowest grades is not the applicant's last year of study. "

So if you are applying next year, you'll only have your first 2 years of university.

And no, you will not be able to use your 4th year marks, were you to apply during then.

Archived