Premed 101 Forums

Advice needed

I know these types of threads are tiresome, but I could really use some advice from someone more knowledgeable than myself.

Just graduated a few weeks ago (BSc Biology). I'm interested in taking a shot at getting into dental school; I haven't taken the DAT yet. I understand that Canadian Dental schools are competitive and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how competitive my grades are before I take the entire summer to study for the DATs.

Cumulative GPA - 3.82

My GPA rose every year I was at school... 3.25ish 1st year, 3.85 2nd year, 3.85 3rd year and 4.00 4th year. However, I only took 3 courses per semester in my 2nd year and 4 per semester in my 1st year... will that hurt my chances? My last 2 years were a full academic load.

I A+'ed organic chem, biochem, physiology, A-'ed Microbio and B-'ed physics (1st year wasn't so hot for me).

As an aside... if my grades are borderline for canadian schools... would they be good enough for some american schools? I know the enternce stats for the schools down there are alot lower, but is it more difficult as an international applicant?

Anyway, if anyone takes the time to respond I would be really really grateful... could really use the help.

Thanks

Thanks for replying... and to answer your question- anyone that will take me.

Although I just realized, when I convert my GPA to a 4.0 scale (I went to Dal) my culm is lowered to a 3.76. Am I incorrect in thinking that some schools only look at your top 2 years? That would really help me out, as my 3rd and 4th years are 3.85 and 4.00, even with the conversion.

Thanks for replying... and to answer your question- anyone that will take me.

Although I just realized, when I convert my GPA to a 4.0 scale (I went to Dal) my culm is lowered to a 3.76. Am I incorrect in thinking that some schools only look at your top 2 years? That would really help me out, as my 3rd and 4th years are 3.85 and 4.00, even with the conversion.

Just do well in DAT, and interview if you have one. Shouldn't be an issue

________

California Dispensaries

Archived