Premed 101 Forums

American DAT in Canada?

Hi,

I was wondering if there are Prometric Centres to write the American DAT in Canada? Or does a Canadian have to travel to the USA to write the American DAT?

Also, what is the easiest way to sign up with the ADA for a DAT writing. If I understand correctly, they want us to send a letter (yes snail mail) accompanied with a bank draft to ADA? Man that sucks..

So yeah, can som1 confirm that this is what I have to do?

thanks

Hi,

I was wondering if there are Prometric Centres to write the American DAT in Canada? Or does a Canadian have to travel to the USA to write the American DAT?

Also, what is the easiest way to sign up with the ADA for a DAT writing. If I understand correctly, they want us to send a letter (yes snail mail) accompanied with a bank draft to ADA? Man that sucks..

So yeah, can som1 confirm that this is what I have to do?

thanks

Yes. I wrote mine in 2006 in vancouver. you can go to the thompson/Prometric Center website and look for their DAt centers. Of course, if your city doesn't offer US DAt then you may have to go to another city. But I would think (?) that nowadays, a lot of big cities (toronto, vancouver, etc..) would have prometric centers administring DAT.

If I remember correctly, the fastest way was to register is online via the ada website. They'll send you a letter and instructions on how to register for the actual test date.

hope this helps.

Yes. I wrote mine in 2006 in vancouver. you can go to the thompson/Prometric Center website and look for their DAt centers. Of course, if your city doesn't offer US DAt then you may have to go to another city. But I would think (?) that nowadays, a lot of big cities (toronto, vancouver, etc..) would have prometric centers administring DAT.

If I remember correctly, the fastest way was to register is online via the ada website. They'll send you a letter and instructions on how to register for the actual test date.

hope this helps.

And Thanks Eric Cartman!

Dunno why, but when I first tried my Visa wasn't going through to the ADA.. And they didnt have Canadian options for Addresses so I thought they wanted only americans to pay by Credit Card. But I tried again and it went through. And there is a Prometric in my city - thanks.

Don't most US schools accept the Canadian DAT anyways? It is considered to be harder due to the manual dexterity component.

Really? IMHO I think that the Canadian DAT is easier than its US counterpart.

There is no Organic Chemistry or Math tested on the CAN DAT, which is a huge relief. I have seen Math and O-Chem questions from the US DAT and these sections are (in my opinion) far more challenging than the G-Chem or Bio from the Canadian DAT.

Carving is really not that difficult and I think it's something anyone can eventually master through practice and get a 25+, whereas some students will simply never be able to pull off >25 on the O-Chem or Math sections.

There is no Organic Chemistry or Math tested on the CAN DAT, which is a huge relief. I have seen Math and O-Chem questions from the US DAT and these sections are (in my opinion) far more challenging than the G-Chem or Bio from the Canadian DAT.

Carving is really not that difficult and I think it's something anyone can eventually master through practice and get a 25+, whereas some students will simply never be able to pull off >25 on the O-Chem or Math sections.

I found US DAT to be a lot easier than the Canadian DAT. While the US DAT has extra sections, overall, all the sections were somewhat easier than the Canadian DAT. Their Math, O-chem and G-chem sections were not hard. Things might have changed now. Also, for some reason, the biology section (US DAT) had quite a few questions dealing with ecology and evolution and I found that one the hardest.

I'd partially agree with you on that for sure! I would much rather do a carving soap than have to organic chemistry. However I think the general consensus for the average applicant (even though us applicants are far above average!) is that the manual dexterity component is tougher in general.

Archived