Premed 101 Forums

Work/Activities - how old can they be?

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering how old the experiences can be that we put in the work/activities section on the AMCAS application? I can't seem to find that information anywhere, and I did lots of volunteering in my high school years that I'm wondering whether I should include because some were important leadership positions and lasted until my final years. For the most part, I'm using recent experiences (ie. first-year university and beyond) but I have a few unfilled slots. Thanks!

The rule seems to be that,

they don't want anything from high school.

Unless.... it continued into university.

Like some volunteering you started in 11th grade and continued until your second year in university would be fine.

I think the summer after high school graduation is where you can start putting them down as EC's.

But it's not like your high school experience doesn't count for anything,

you can incorporate them into your personal statement.

It'll show commitment.

The rule seems to be that,

they don't want anything from high school.

Unless.... it continued into university.

Like some volunteering you started in 11th grade and continued until your second year in university would be fine.

I think the summer after high school graduation is where you can start putting them down as EC's.

But it's not like your high school experience doesn't count for anything,

you can incorporate them into your personal statement.

It'll show commitment.

I think I am going to put one activity down in high school because it meant a lot. Its not like I have nothing else to put down, I actually had to lump other things together (conferencs/pubs) to make room for this. I also putit down because its theme does carry on to other activities I kept up with in Uni.

Archived