Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

10 hours ago, Malakhite said:

Hello!

I am not really sure where I stand for applying to medical school.

I have a previous undergraduate degree that I did not do well in (3.0 GPA). This was before I realized that I loved the medical field. I am currently entering my last year of a B.Sc. in Medical Radiation Sciences, specializing in Radiological Technology (AKA x-rays, CT scans, mammography etc) at UofT.

My second-degree stats are as follows:

Semester 1 – 3.33

Semester 2 – 3.64

Semester 3 – P/F courses only

Semester 4 – 3.46

Semester 5 – 3.94

Semester 6 – 3.90

Semester 7 – Fall 2017 One course to complete, the rest if P/F clinical at the hospital

Semester 8 - Winter 2018 P/F clinical at the hospital

Overall cumulative of my second degree once finished (should be): ~ 3.6

I know that I would have to do amazing on my MCAT.

On a side note, and I have no idea if it is pertinent to this or not (I am okay with it if it is not). I was diagnosed with severe generalized anxiety disorder and OCD Feb. 2017. After immediately being medicated and working with one of the best psychiatrists in Toronto, my life completely changed. He figures that I have had the GAD my whole life and that my OCD started with the stress of Grade 12 and continued. Because both are anxiety disorders, they tend to feed off each other. I am in not in any way trying to find an excuse, they honestly negatively affected my sleep, eating habits and made it much harder for me to focus and concentrate etc. I truly thought that what I was experiencing was completely normal and that everyone experienced what I was (at least to some point). I know it is not much of a grade jump, but you can see that Semester 5 and 6’s GPA increased quite a bit. Unfortunately, I went through my first undergrad degree without being diagnosed. The upside of being diagnosed is that I am now doing great!

Clinical Hours Once Finished in 2018

1650 hours of direct patient contact taking x-rays, doing CT scans, mammography, fluoro in OR and pain clinic during my clinical placement.

ECs in the Last 2.5 Years

2.5 years of as a medical responder on UofT’s First Response Team.

2.5 years of archery (classes that I took and personal range time).

1.5 years of coaching archery and being a range officer at UofT (all volunteer work)

26 hours of volunteering and giving tours to prospective students/their families during open houses etc. for my current school as well as calling accepted students on the phone to answer their questions etc.

Any insight would be appreciated.

P.S. If I posted this in the wrong place, please let me know!

Thank you in advance.

I think you should definitely apply! And apply to DO schools in US just as for backup. I would talk about your story (in a concise manner) somewhere in your application or personal statement. Your MCAT will play a huge role with your current application, I'd say study hard and aim for 513+ if you can! There are schools like Queens that only look at your last 2 years so look into those!

Hi all,

I haven't written my MCAT yet, just want to post here to see if it's something I should consider pursuing further, and if so then which schools I should consider. I have an undergrad in biology and a course-based MPH from UofT. I've been working for ~2 years after my graduation in a health and safety field.

Undergrad Grades:

1st year: 3.34 (3.24 if don't take into account my summer school course) <-- This poor grade was due to pure laziness..... And one really bad Calculus grade.....

2nd year:  3.84

3rd year: 3.85

4th year: 3.93

cGPA: 3.76

wGPA (2 best years): ~3.88

MPH

cGPA: ~3.95

ECs/Awards

* year long research project in molecular biology (no pub)

* 8 month long research project in hospital for a metabolic disease (no pub)

* worked in wet lab as part of a work-study program for 8 months

* volunteered for a non-profit organization during my MPH related to my field, mainly doing research and proving subject matter expertise

* I worked for 2 semesters as a teaching assistant. Also, my current position involves a lot of client training.

* work experience in the health, safety, environment field, which I'm not sure how well it would translate

* I play in volleyball leagues, otherwise most hobbies involve riding a bicycle or reading.

* awards: NSERC USRA, various awards during my MPH (fellowships, top grades)

From what I've read, graduate marks are not really taken into account? And some schools provide a tiny boost to your GPA for having a grad degree, right? I know my ECs are strongly lacking, so I am wondering what sorts of volunteer opportunities would be looked at (and would being a member of toastmasters count? I'm interested in this). I want to volunteer because I feel like it's lacking in my life but if it helps for medical school then even better. Also I'm not interested in the Caribbean, just focus on Ontario.

Hey everyone, I would also appreciate a look at my chances!

cGPA: 3.73

1st: 3.45

2nd: 3.65

3rd: 3.85

4th 3.96

Going to do a 5th year this year (because I know my GPA is lacking)

UofT: 3.85

Ottawa: 3.89

Western: 3.91

Mac: 3.73

UBC: 3.82

Memorial: 3.73

Waiting on my mcat score so dont have them yet. 

EC: Board of non-profit (85 hours), piano for 12 years, volunteering with patients with alzheimer's disease (130 hr), lead a united way campaign, GenNext ambassador, VP of two school events, intramural soccer, intramural volleyball, highschool soccer team, recreational soccer, volunteering at a day camp for over 200 hours in HS, 2 case competitions  

Research: Worked full time as a research assistant for a year (1800 hours), worked part time as a research assistant (250 hours), volunteered in a lab for 3 years (God knows how long, probably 2000 hours because of the research and writing the publications). Have 3 pubs (2nd author, 3rd author, 5th author), 3 conference abstracts (1st, 2nd and 4th author) and 1 conference presentation 

Work: Besides the research (which could be employment), worked in my school's health clinic for 160 hours, worked a hero's burgers in HS (1440 hours), and retail store for 320 hours

Thank you!

10 hours ago, silent_c said:

Hey everyone, I would also appreciate a look at my chances!

cGPA: 3.73

1st: 3.45

2nd: 3.65

3rd: 3.85

4th 3.96

Going to do a 5th year this year (because I know my GPA is lacking)

UofT: 3.85

Ottawa: 3.89

Western: 3.91

Mac: 3.73

UBC: 3.82

Memorial: 3.73

Waiting on my mcat score so dont have them yet. 

EC: Board of non-profit (85 hours), piano for 12 years, volunteering with patients with alzheimer's disease (130 hr), lead a united way campaign, GenNext ambassador, VP of two school events, intramural soccer, intramural volleyball, highschool soccer team, recreational soccer, volunteering at a day camp for over 200 hours in HS, 2 case competitions  

Research: Worked full time as a research assistant for a year (1800 hours), worked part time as a research assistant (250 hours), volunteered in a lab for 3 years (God knows how long, probably 2000 hours because of the research and writing the publications). Have 3 pubs (2nd author, 3rd author, 5th author), 3 conference abstracts (1st, 2nd and 4th author) and 1 conference presentation 

Work: Besides the research (which could be employment), worked in my school's health clinic for 160 hours, worked a hero's burgers in HS (1440 hours), and retail store for 320 hours

Thank you!

Where do you have in-province status?

Your GPA is a little low as you have already recognized, but your ECs/research/work experience seem strong. I would describe your application as borderline. Not strong enough to be certain of getting interviews, but definitely not bad enough to put you out of the running. 

I am not familiar with Memorial at all, but I think it is worth applying broadly to Ontario schools and UBC (if you are in-province). You should look into Queens... not sure if you just missed it, but it also has a somewhat forgiving GPA formula. Overall, applying will let you see where you stand. I think you have a good chance of getting a couple interviews. You only need one! 

I also think doing a 5th year while continuing to develop EC/research/work experience is a great strategy to improve competitiveness. 

Hey, I'm an Ontario resident applying to Ontario schools, plus UBC, Saskachewan and Manitoba. Wondering what my chances are and if I should look into schools in Alberta as well. My EC's definitely weak, so I'm wondering if I should bother looking into Alberta, and if I even have a realistic shot at UBC.

cGPA (unweighted): 3.95

MCAT: 525, 131 CARS.

EC's: 100+ hours hospital volunteering with patient contact, 250+ hours research team member (unpaid, course credit) on a systematic review, 30+ hours research team member on ongoing review study (unpaid), couple of university cash awards for academic performance, hobbies include playing music with friends, with a few live performances.

Thanks.

On 02/09/2017 at 10:46 AM, GoneFishing said:

Hey, I'm an Ontario resident applying to Ontario schools, plus UBC, Saskachewan and Manitoba. Wondering what my chances are and if I should look into schools in Alberta as well. My EC's definitely weak, so I'm wondering if I should bother looking into Alberta, and if I even have a realistic shot at UBC.

cGPA (unweighted): 3.95

MCAT: 525, 131 CARS.

EC's: 100+ hours hospital volunteering with patient contact, 250+ hours research team member (unpaid, course credit) on a systematic review, 30+ hours research team member on ongoing review study (unpaid), couple of university cash awards for academic performance, hobbies include playing music with friends, with a few live performances.

Thanks.

you better get the sun screen on because it looks like you're going carrib

two questions:

Is it too late to apply this cycle for ontario schools?

also, I am thinking of applying to McMaster, Uottawa and Queens. My stats are MCAT 509 (125/126/130/128), GPA 3.7 (in second degree - last two years), have a pub and worked in two labs. do i have a chance of getting in here?

2 hours ago, Locke said:

two questions:

Is it too late to apply this cycle for ontario schools?

Not too late - see important dates here: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-dates/  

• All applications must be started (accounts created) before 4:30 pm (ET) on September 15, 2017.
  • October 2, 2017 (4:30 pm ET) Deadline to submit applications. There are no exceptions (this is a strict deadline).
2 hours ago, Locke said:

also, I am thinking of applying to McMaster, Uottawa and Queens. My stats are MCAT 509 (125/126/130/128), GPA 3.7 (in second degree - last two years), have a pub and worked in two labs. do i have a chance of getting in here?

GPA relatively weak for uOttawa and Queen's. But, I would suggest you apply nonetheless. McMaster is most flexible of all three. But, if you do, make sure you have a good autobiographical sketch and references, I think you stand a chance for interviews. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 7:32 PM, qnzjlo said:

Not too late - see important dates here: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-dates/  

• All applications must be started (accounts created) before 4:30 pm (ET) on September 15, 2017.
  • October 2, 2017 (4:30 pm ET) Deadline to submit applications. There are no exceptions (this is a strict deadline).

GPA relatively weak for uOttawa and Queen's. But, I would suggest you apply nonetheless. McMaster is most flexible of all three. But, if you do, make sure you have a good autobiographical sketch and references, I think you stand a chance for interviews. Good luck!

Thank you for your response. 

Do you know when the deadline to submit CASPER for Mac and Ottawa is? I am finishing up today (and there was supposed to be a CASPER test date today) so now I am worried that it will be too late to submit.

On 9/17/2017 at 5:02 PM, Locke said:

Thank you for your response. 

Do you know when the deadline to submit CASPER for Mac and Ottawa is? I am finishing up today (and there was supposed to be a CASPER test date today) so now I am worried that it will be too late to submit.

I believe there are two more offerings left: Oct 15th and 25th. Either or would satisfy the deadlines for McMaster and UOttawa.

Hi everyone. I’m mainly wondering what my chances are for UBC, as I’m IP there. I will also apply to Western, McMaster, Queens, & Calgary. Unfortunately UBC doesn’t look at the MCAT pre-interview, so I’m a bit worried about my bad(?) NAQ killing my chances for an interview there (need ~20 NAQ to get an interview?). Would also be open to hearing other OOP application suggestions if it isn’t too late for it. Thanks!

Applying this cycle

1st year: 87.3 (3.87)

2nd year: 92.8 (3.97)

3rd year: 93.3 (3.99)

4th year: n/A

cGPA: 91.13% (3.943 cumulative)

IP for UBC

MCAT: 526 (132/130/132/132)

Employment:

4 month work term as a research assistant for pharmaceutical company, wrote company a literature review

Part time work as assistant clinical trial investigator 4 – 5 hours/ week for 2 months for same company during full time school – wrote clinical trial documents

~1000 hours working in a small town drug store (2.5 years part time)

Research:

Research volunteer in a polymer lab for 12 months ~250 hours total – likely will be 3rd author on a publication in a chemistry journal at some point, 1 oral presentation

4 month work term doing paid research in a genetics lab full time (640 hours)

ECs:

18 months administrative volunteering at a hospital 250 hours total

8 months volunteering in geriatric psychiatry ward taking groups for walks and having long one on one conversations with elderly patients with dementia, schizophrenia and other mental/neurological illnesses ~ 80 hours

Executive in a campus club for 20 months, around 100 hours. President of club since spring 2017.

member with a community organization for 4 months ~40 hours meeting and doing community service like garbage cleanup in parks, etc.

High school student council exec 1 year, ~60 hours (eh)

Counsellor for a weekend sporting event working with people with developmental disabilities – 35 hours (one time thing, and past the UBC NAQ deadline…)

Also had an intense experience as a patient in high school – afflicted with severe illness for approximately a year that made it very difficult to walk or get around, which was overcome by a lot of physiotherapy. Put this in Diversity of Experiences category for UBC.

Put a few other random things, like artwork, travel (a solo trip to the middle east, among other stuff), hiking, a couple one time volunteer events, etc.

Awards:

For high academic performance, Dean’s List + Governor General’s award (bronze), several in-course scholarships & 2 scholarships for research

39 minutes ago, Roronoaa said:

Hey guys, just received my MCAT score. 124/130/128/129 (511). Extremely happy with everything but C/P. I knew I did bad but I didn't think I would get 124. I was hoping for 125 for I can still apply to UofT. Do I have a chance anywhere else in Ontario? Should I still bother applying to UofT?

Good overall score but that 124 is a tough one.   Per U of T Med site --- 125 minimum in each section is required as a threshold to apply.

You can still consider MAC with that great CARs and  Ottawa as well

<snip>

Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)

You must write the MCAT before the application deadline and achieve the minimum MCAT score in each section of the test to be considered.  Your MCAT score is not assessed competitively. Only MCAT scores obtained within five years of the application deadline will be considered.  Only the most recent MCAT score will be considered.

You must achieve MCAT minimum scores of 125 in each of the four sections.

If you have written the old MCAT, a minimum score of nine in each of the three sections are required (the writing sample score will not be used)

Hey I'm wondering about my OOP chances (Alberta resident). I'm thinking of applying to Saskatchewan, inquiring about Ontario schools, and maybe Manitoba too (given my high MCAT).

Alberta GPA: 3.93

Ontario cGPA: 3.86

MCAT - 519 overall

CARS - 129

CFBS - 130

BBFL - 132

PSBS - 128

Research Experience: 3 years experience between computational and hands-on work, 1 publication with 1 group

ECs: varsity athlete, 1.5 years volunteering at a senior home, 4.5 years volunteering at local hospital, 4 years coaching youth athletics, 1 year with Toastmasters, tutor for 1.5 years, mentorship of youths, fluent in French

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Hi,

I'm an Ontario resident from a large city in the GTA, and am hoping to get some advice on some next steps. I'm currently in my third year of university.

GPA:

1st year: 3.96

2nd year: 3.45

**last year was a flop in terms of, I knew I was capable of doing much better but some personal things came up that threw me for a loop**

ECs: As of the end of this school year

Volunteer:

~ 850 hrs in Long Term Care facilities assisting in programs and running my own (half of it was on an Alzheimer's/Dementia unit)

~ 2 years in a University-run academic support position, helping students with learning skills and course content (3-4 hours a week during the school year, so about 200 hrs)

~ 2 years volunteering in an 8-week program for children in low-income areas with developing healthy living habits, literacy and numeracy skills (about 40hrs)

~ 75 hours at the Ronald McDonald House

~ 1 year as a Student Orientation Leader living in residence and supporting students throughout the year academically, socially and emotionally

Leadership Postions:

~ 2 years an executive on a campus club

~ 1 year as a residence council commissioner in charge of a certain aspect of the building programming, ultimately running a team of 34 first year students

~ 1 year as the coordinator for the 8-week program mentioned about for children, I'm the one that designs the activities and execution of the 8-week program

~ High school student council treasurer

Employment

~ three years working as a host/server

~ 1 year as Senior Residence Staff member in charge of building wide programming for students for academics, leadership and international students as well as individual support for students and student leaders

Hobbies

~ 2 semesters playing intramural flag football, 2 semesters coaching

MCAT: I chose not to study for it this summer after I felt myself burning out from the previous year and work. I wrote it for the experience, and ended up scoring a 128 in CARS.

** my big concern comes from my next steps. I'm at a crossroad of whether to take an opportunity to take a year off and do a paid internship through my school where I can get the opportunity to work in a lab or with a pharmaceutical company, which I would love for the experience and exposure to a different side of the medical industry, or do I push through into 4th year and write my MCAT over the summer. I do notice the gap in my ECs wth respect to research (I know it's not necessary, but with my second year GPA I want to make sure my experiences are well-rounded).

I'm looking for advice on next steps and how to best equip myself for applying to Canadian med schools.

I think the break will do you good, you will return to studies with a new and fresh perspective and greater maturity, and my vote is to follow your interests and go for the paid internship! You do not need this per se for your application, but I believe taking this year internship may be just what the doctor orders - a change of pace, new life experiences, and then back to academics well motivated and with enthusiasm. Best of luck!  :P

You have an upward trend and there are schools that look at best 2 years, last 2 years. However, they also look at CanMEDS competencies in activities, ideally making contributions to your community. Good research background is helpful but does not fully cover the ground. You want to be more well rounded to be truly very competitive,  You are on your way and anything is possible. Back in the day, I applied to 4 schools, got 3 interviews, wait listed by 3 and accepted by 1. So much depends upon the applicant pool each cycle and it isn't getting any easier. Then there is Casper, Essays, and the interview. Lady Luck is very much involved in the process. And perseverance is absolutely required. Good luck.

Feedback would be awesome,

Im currently in my 3rd year at UBC (BC resident)

1st year average = 87.7 (Nothing below an A-)

2nd year average = 88.4 (nothing below an A-)

MCAT: 129/125/128/130 = 512

School commitments:

-3 years of involvement in school mental health club (now chair)

-intramural hockey

Community commitments:

-4 years of summer camp experience (High school)

-1 year of volunteering at care home (High school)

-1 term of being a peer tutor (High school)

-2 years of being a youth group leader

Work experience:

-2 years working at a restaurant (High school)

-2 summers working at summer camp (different than other summer camp above)

-6 months being a respite worker for young adult with ASD

The place that I feel that I am lacking is clinical and research experience, but how much do you guys think this will affect my application?

Thanks!