Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

-Quebec resident doing a second Bachelor's degree

First Bachelor

-not fulltime

Second Bachelor

-fulltime (5 courses/semester)

-3 semesters completed as of today (important to mention since some schools require 2 full years to judge the student. at least i am graduating this coming Spring)

MCAT grades on the way in a few weeks

So what I am looking for:

-a school that will not kill me for my first bachelor's degree

-a school that would take into account the 2nd bachelor's I have (one for which the number of credits I have done (45) is sufficient to apply with)

McGill is #1 in all categories. They match all my criteria plus are my hometown university. But I am looking for backup plans. I am open to American Universities too.

So, I have checked out second-degree policies and it seems the schools that might be friendly to my application would be: UWO, Queens, McGill and possibly U of Manitoba, for which I would have an AGPA of 3.70 (is that high enough for consideration as an OOP?).

So, I have checked out second-degree policies and it seems the schools that might be friendly to my application would be: UWO, Queens, McGill and possibly U of Manitoba, for which I would have an AGPA of 3.70 (is that high enough for consideration as an OOP?).

Are you IP for Mcgill? If so, you look okay for McGill, Queen's/Western (depending on your MCAT score). For Manitoba, you would need something like 40-42+ MCAT for interview with your aGPA.

Ontario Resident. Graduated from US University.

GPA (out of 4.0...full course load = 4 courses per semester)

1st year: 3.70

2nd year: 3.70 (took 7 courses, one less than full course load ... but made up for its credit the next year)

3rd year: 3.96

4th year: 3.89

Graduation GPA: 3.806

ECs:

Research: Lab Assistant (3 yrs including summers when I got paid as RA), Independent Graduation Thesis (oral/poster presentation)

Volunteer/Activities: Hospital Volunteer (6months), UNICEF volunteer (summer), Aurora Summer Camp, School Newspaper (2yrs), Guest writer for school magazine

Employment: Peer Tutor, RA's at couple places, full-time job after graduation (project manager of research lab)

Other: Shadowing/clinical exp. for abt 3 months

MCAT:

33Q (12PS, 10VR, 11BS)

My Questions:

1) What are my chances at Ontario universities?

2) Where else (OOP) would I have a chance at?

3) Any other comments, concerns would be appreciated!

Ontario Resident. Graduated from US University.

GPA (out of 4.0...full course load = 4 courses per semester)

1st year: 3.70

2nd year: 3.70 (took 7 courses, one less than full course load ... but made up for its credit the next year)

3rd year: 3.96

4th year: 3.89

Graduation GPA: 3.806

ECs:

Research: Lab Assistant (3 yrs including summers when I got paid as RA), Independent Graduation Thesis (oral/poster presentation)

Volunteer/Activities: Hospital Volunteer (6months), UNICEF volunteer (summer), Aurora Summer Camp, School Newspaper (2yrs), Guest writer for school magazine

Employment: Peer Tutor, RA's at couple places, full-time job after graduation (project manager of research lab)

Other: Shadowing/clinical exp. for abt 3 months

MCAT:

33Q (12PS, 10VR, 11BS)

My Questions:

1) What are my chances at Ontario universities?

2) Where else (OOP) would I have a chance at?

3) Any other comments, concerns would be appreciated!

Question about the 3 months of shadowing and clinic experience. How often and for how long were these shifts?

GPA (/4)

Year 1: 3.63

Year 2: 3.7

Year 3: 3.88

Year 4: 3.71

MCAT

07VR/10PS/12BS/Q

EC: Medical Clinic 2 summers ago, Tutoring X2,

Research: Clinical research at a hospital ~1yr

Employment: Two part time jobs

LOR: Got some good ones from employers and profs

Should i just apply to the carribean? or re-write and wait another year?

GPA (/4)

MCAT

07VR/10PS/12BS/Q

Move to Alberta?

GPA (/4)

MCAT

07VR/10PS/12BS/Q

This is purely my own opinion, but unless you want to live and practice in the Carribean, you probably shouldn't go to Medical School there. I would recommend re-writing the MCAT and then apply next year. Your physical and biological science scores are good, so it's definitely within your reach to score a 10 on verbal reasoning.

This is purely my own opinion, but unless you want to live and practice in the Carribean, you probably shouldn't go to Medical School there. I would recommend re-writing the MCAT and then apply next year. Your physical and biological science scores are good, so it's definitely within your reach to score a 10 on verbal reasoning.

Unless you want to live and practice in the states* or be jobless if you do terrible on your steps and clerkship.

I would love some advice. Born, raised and schooling in British Columbia, and am wondering if I should put out the effort to apply to any schools in Ontario, and if so, which would you recommend?

GPA (out of 4) (BSC)

• 1st year-3.65
  • 2nd year- 3.6
  • 3rd year-3.78
  • 4th year- 3.98

MCAT-33P (9VR, 12BS, 12PS)

Volunteer

• 3000hrs total, 1000 in a clinical setting(palliative care, dental clinic volunteer, patient for medical school, 1st aid…, and 300 in a volunteer research.
  • Several hundred hrs with children with disabilities.
  • President of several clubs, including premed club for 1 yr.

Other EC

• Marathons & teach violin

Research

• 5 publications (2 as primary author),
  • 1.5 years of part time research in biochem lab as undergrad (10hrs/week), \
  • 2000pd hrs (through various grants/awards) as research assistant in cardiology research centre.

Thanks!!

I would love some advice. Born, raised and schooling in British Columbia, and am wondering if I should put out the effort to apply to any schools in Ontario, and if so, which would you recommend?

GPA (out of 4) (BSC)

• 1st year-3.65
  • 2nd year- 3.6
  • 3rd year-3.78
  • 4th year- 3.98

Volunteer

• 3000hrs total, 1000 in a clinical setting(palliative care, dental clinic volunteer, patient for medical school, 1st aid…, and 300 in a volunteer research.

Other EC

Research

• 2000pd hrs (through various grants/awards) as research assistant in cardiology research centre.

Thanks!!

Woah amazing ECs! Definitely apply to Toronto. Queens too (though I'm not sure they accept VR<10). You're on the border GPA-wise for Ottawa (though I would apply anyways). McMaster is definitely a long shot with your VR, gpa, and OOP status, though you still have a chance if you ace CASPER. I wouldn't apply to NOSM or Western if I were you, as I highly doubt you would get an interview at either.

This is so intimidating!

I'm only in second year but this is what I have so far/upcoming:

Arts and Science with specialization in Molecular Biology and Genetics - McMaster University

- black belt in martial arts (15 years practice); have been volunteer teaching for several years and have worked with adhd and autistic kids

- serbian folkloric dance; have been volunteer teaching for several years

- job tutoring several subjects to all ages in the past several months and I plan to continue for the next few years (have worked with another autistic child)

- VP internal in philosophy club (starting november)

- CO-PM cooking club (starting november)

- currently volunteering at 2 hospitals (McMaster being one of them)

- mac "ambassador" (volunteering every month at fairs); I plan to continue this through to next year

- welcome week rep (ahahaha)

- minor first year biology "research" (mainly editing/uploading biology related articles online)

- cpr/first aid c

- will begin volunteering as a medical first aid responder with st. john's ambulance (training right now)

- will likely obtain personal training license this summer

- 2 weeks job shadowing in hospital in Serbia last summer (hematology)

- working hard on obtaining a summer research position

- working hard towards that mcat and I'm confident in receiving a 32

** mom is friendly with dean of medicine at Mac, I'm praying this is a good sign **

First year SUCKED ... I received about a 3.4 GPA (damn you chemistry!). I'm hoping to pick it up with a doable 3.75 this year. Hopefully 3.75 becomes the minimum grade I receive throughout the rest of my undergraduate career.

How likely is it to get in if I achieve/keep up everything listed above (better grades, min. 32 MCAT) ? 3rd year? 4th year? A 5th year (oh please no) ? I'm a pretty charming person, so maybe I can charm my way through those interviews...

Thanks folks!

PS: I've got english, serbian, french and conversational german + spanish under my belt if that helps.

This is so intimidating!

I'm only in second year but this is what I have so far/upcoming:

Arts and Science with specialization in Molecular Biology and Genetics - McMaster University

- black belt in martial arts (15 years practice); have been volunteer teaching for several years and have worked with adhd and autistic kids

- serbian folkloric dance; have been volunteer teaching for several years

- job tutoring several subjects to all ages in the past several months and I plan to continue for the next few years (have worked with another autistic child)

- VP internal in philosophy club (starting november)

- CO-PM cooking club (starting november)

- currently volunteering at 2 hospitals (McMaster being one of them)

- mac "ambassador" (volunteering every month at fairs); I plan to continue this through to next year

- welcome week rep (ahahaha)

- minor first year biology "research" (mainly editing/uploading biology related articles online)

- cpr/first aid c

- will begin volunteering as a medical first aid responder with st. john's ambulance (training right now)

- will likely obtain personal training license this summer

- 2 weeks job shadowing in hospital in Serbia last summer (hematology)

- working hard on obtaining a summer research position

- working hard towards that mcat and I'm confident in receiving a 32

** mom is friendly with dean of medicine at Mac, I'm praying this is a good sign **

First year SUCKED ... I received about a 3.4 GPA (damn you chemistry!). I'm hoping to pick it up with a doable 3.75 this year. Hopefully 3.75 becomes the minimum grade I receive throughout the rest of my undergraduate career.

How likely is it to get in if I achieve/keep up everything listed above (better grades, min. 32 MCAT) ? 3rd year? 4th year? A 5th year (oh please no) ? I'm a pretty charming person, so maybe I can charm my way through those interviews...

Thanks folks!

PS: I've got english, serbian, french and conversational german + spanish under my belt if that helps.

I definitely think that it is a bit too early to make any good guesses, as you have still another 2-4 years of hard work ahead of you, but I would say that if you can keep up with the academics and focus in on building up a couple of your extracurriculars so that they look really impressive, you will have a good chance for schools in Ontario.

Also, never bank on family ties as a ticket to medicine, as you have no idea what that connection will look like in 2+ years from now.

As a summary, I would really recommend trying to keep that GPA =/> 3.8 for the next 2-4 years, and perhaps it might be time to start really focusing on one or two of those non-academics; ones that you really enjoy. Sometimes it is better to be/do phenomenal at 1 or 2 things (aka-have that wow factor) rather than spreading yourself to thin.

Best of luck!

GPA (out of 4) (BSC)

• 1st year-3.65
  • 2nd year- 3.6
  • 3rd year-3.78
  • 4th year- 3.98

Volunteer

Other EC

Research

Thanks!!

UOttawa is essentially a no, you have a 3.85 wGPA and their OOP cutoff for the past two years has been 3.87, strict. You can toss it in, since you're close, but there isn't too much hope there.

Western is a no, they have a VR 11 cutoff..

NOSM is a long shot because of their strict northern rural specifications, try if you've got the money though?

McMaster depends on your CASPer, I wouldn't say a cGPA of 3.75ish and a VR of 9 put you in a great spot, but kill CASPer and its an option.

Defs yes to UofT and you can try Queens, they really prefer a VR of 10, but are pretty holistic and youre overall MCAT score might get you by there.

Just my opinions

Hello everyone,

Here is a brief overview of my situation. I would really appreciate any advices/recommendations/suggestions.

My BIGGEST Application Disadvantage: NOT full-load course semesters (on average, 3 courses/term but I always have been doing something extra on the side!)

Please let me know if I have a shot at Canadian Medical Schools (if any!)

You diluted your otherwise excellent GPA and therefore, it is difficult to know what to recommend. Check which med schools for which you would be eligible. I would think another fullcourse undergrad degree would be of greater potential benefit than a Masters.

You diluted your otherwise excellent GPA and therefore, it is difficult to know what to recommend. Check which med schools for which you would be eligible. I would think another fullcourse undergrad degree would be of greater potential benefit than a Masters.

Thanks for your reply. What about US medical schools? Do you think I will have a chance there?

What about my ECs? Do you think its satisfactory?

Thanks,

Just to let you know, Calgary does not use part time semesters (less than 24 credits from Sept - April) in their calculation of GPA.

Thanks for the heads up! I know I don't have a chance at Canadian schools (except mcmaster which doesn't care about course load but on the other hand wants Casper and very high VR). How hard is the Casper thing?

I want to see if I have a chance for US schools?

Thanks for your reply. What about US medical schools? Do you think I will have a chance there?

What about my ECs? Do you think its satisfactory?

Thanks,

I have no knowledge of US schools. Your ECs are not bad but academically, you are a black box as attaining a 4.0 GPA with 3 courses is significantly easier than carrying a fullcourse load. That is the reason why I 2nd undergrad degree with a fullcourse load would be a failsafe approach.

I have no knowledge of US schools. Your ECs are not bad but academically, you are a black box as attaining a 4.0 GPA with 3 courses is significantly easier than carrying a fullcourse load. That is the reason why I 2nd undergrad degree with a fullcourse load would be a failsafe approach.

By 2nd degree undergraduate do you mean another 3-4 years of studying but another degree?

What do you think about staying an extra 1-2 years and carrying a full course load?

By 2nd degree undergraduate do you mean another 3-4 years of studying but another degree?

What do you think about staying an extra 1-2 years and carrying a full course load?

Take a full course-load this year and next year. There is no need for a second degree (assuming you are in your 4th year right now).