Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Postan92, it would be a lot easier to comment on your chances if you converted your GPA to the OMSAS scale. You should be able to see your GPA when you review your completed OMSAS application.

Alternatively, you can wait a few weeks :)

I tried to do that through OMSAS, but they said that they would calculate the score manually since I come from a private university. Plus, I never got a calculated score from them. I used the conversion chart from McMaster that was found here and it shows I'm betwee 3.8-3.9:

http://sscareers.mcmaster.ca/students/tools/gpa-conversion-chart.html

Sorry about that :(

Hi all,

I applied to the following universities:

U of T

Western

McMaster

Queens

I'm an Ontario Permanent Resident and I was worried about my chances at being in any of these medical schools. Well, here's my GPA using the 12 point system. I have overloaded every semester except my very first one.

Year 1: 11.5 (I think this is between 3.9 and 4 on 4 point system)

Year 2: 10.1 (This is close to 3.7 right?)

Year 3: 10.65 (This is between 3.8 and 3.9... I think.)

Year 4: 11.23 (3.9ish? and after Fall semester)

cGPA under 12 point: 10.8ish (Somewhere near 3.9?)

MCAT PS/VR/BS: 13/9/11 (Total of 33)

ECs: I don't have any medical related activities unfortunately. Most of it's because all my time was spent working on my minors in chemistry and music while taking an Honours Biology. I spend most of my free time with the piano and violin. I currently hold a Grade 10 for both piano and violin. I have competed in provincial competitions on the piano. I have also volunteered a lot as an orchestra member, both on the piano and violin.

Work experience: Like I said, nothing medical related sadly. But I have a lot of research under my belt. I'm currently working on a thesis to complete my Honours degree on the development of the reproductive system within the insect vector for Chagas disease, Rhodnius prolixus. The project will culminate with a thesis and a poster presentation. If I do this well, then I could get a publication. I also spent a summer as a research assistant in preparing lab sessions for high school students.

Awards and Accomplishments: In every year I have been on the Dean's Honour List. I have also received academic scholarships for my GPA. I have also won a lot of awards as a pianist and have performed a piano concerto with a youth orchestra in Hamilton. There's not much else otherwise :(.

I've also completed CASPer, but I have no idea how I did on that. I feel my responses for UofT went pretty well, but I too have no idea on that.

You can't use your school's yearly GPA (12 point system) and convert it to the OMSAS GPA. You need to take each individual course from every year and convert each individual course to the OMSAS GPA. This is because the numeric differences assigned to each individual grade (ex. A+, A, B+) are different between the 12 point system and the OMSAS system. Look at the following example:

If I were to take 4 courses per year and receive an A+, A+, B, B, then according to the 12 point system, you have a 10.0 GPA which converts to exactly a 3.7.

Now, if you were to take each individual course and convert those to the OMSAS GPA, you'd receive a different GPA. A+=4.0, and B=3.0. So it would be 3.5 GPA. That's quite a difference than the GPA above.

The 2nd way (method showed last) is the way to calculate your OMSAS GPA.

Therefore, we're not able to extrapolate or really tell you anything from the GPA you gave us, and GPA is king.

You can't use your school's yearly GPA (12 point system) and convert it to the OMSAS GPA. You need to take each individual course from every year and convert each individual course to the OMSAS GPA. This is because the numeric differences assigned to each individual grade (ex. A+, A, B+) are different between the 12 point system and the OMSAS system. Look at the following example:

If I were to take 4 courses per year and receive an A+, A+, B, B, then according to the 12 point system, you have a 10.0 GPA which converts to exactly a 3.7.

Now, if you were to take each individual course and convert those to the OMSAS GPA, you'd receive a different GPA. A+=4.0, and B=3.0. So it would be 3.5 GPA. That's quite a difference than the GPA above.

The 2nd way (method showed last) is the way to calculate your OMSAS GPA.

Therefore, we're not able to extrapolate or really tell you anything from the GPA you gave us, and GPA is king.

I had no idea... Sorry about that.

What GPA would I need to have a chance at any of the schools mentioned?

I had no idea... Sorry about that.

What GPA would I need to have a chance at any of the schools mentioned?

Why did you not receive a calculated OMSAS GPA? You should have received a letter since you applied this cycle. I believe you have to get this verification. And also, when you applied, it says you're cumulative GPA when you entered all your grades and the courses.

Why did you not receive a calculated OMSAS GPA? You should have received a letter since you applied this cycle. I believe you have to get this verification. And also, when you applied, it says you're cumulative GPA when you entered all your grades and the courses.

I never got a letter... :confused: I already emailed someone from OMSAS about my grades, and they said they would calculate my GPA manually for the university I attended.

Plus, the university I attended was never on the list of universities to which I could place my grades in. So the cGPA never showed. I was still able to take CASPer from McMaster and OMSAS said my application was indeed submitted. :confused: They even said they received all my documents.

These are my grades ive never been full course cause i never intended to go to med school

1st year A- A- B+ C A A A- A- W

2nd year W W W B+ B- C-

3rd year A W W W

Ive been off school for almost a year now. So hypothetically speaking even if i go back get straight A's on a full course load i still have no chance right?

Hi,

I want know what are your opinions on what my chances are. I intend to apply in the coming fall to Toronto, Ottawa, Queens, and McMasters.

1st year gpa: 3.71

2nd year gpa: 3.84

3rd year 1st semester gpa : 3.74

cGPA: 3.76

ECs / activities : Hospital Volunteer (2 summers), Rehab Centre Volunteer (2 summers), Course TA at the university I attend. Leadership activities in highschool.

Other information:

Taken Full Course Load every term and 3/5 courses are at the same or greater level than the year I am attending at the university.

Have not written the MCAT yet, hoping to write it in the summer 2014. Also applying to research opportunity at the moment.

Thanks

Hi,

I want know what are your opinions on what my chances are. I intend to apply in the coming fall to Toronto, Ottawa, Queens, and McMasters.

ECs / activities : Hospital Volunteer (2 summers), Rehab Centre Volunteer (2 summers), Course TA at the university I attend. Leadership activities in highschool.

Other information:

Taken Full Course Load every term and 3/5 courses are at the same or greater level than the year I am attending at the university.

Have not written the MCAT yet, hoping to write it in the summer 2014. Also applying to research opportunity at the moment.

Thanks

Overall, I think it is always possible, but not likely that you will get in with your stats as a third year. Your GPA is below average for all those schools, but by no means low enough that you should give it a shot. Make sure you study well for the MCAT (summer is only a few months away!).

What is your weighted GPA for U of T?

Personally I would not bother applying to U of O since they pretty well never consider applicants below a GPA of ~3.89.

Good luck!

These are my grades ive never been full course cause i never intended to go to med school

1st year A- A- B+ C A A A- A- W

2nd year W W W B+ B- C-

3rd year A W W W

Ive been off school for almost a year now. So hypothetically speaking even if i go back get straight A's on a full course load i still have no chance right?

Never say never..if you go back for 2 full-time years and get >3.8 in both and get a good MCAT score you would have a good shot (mostly at Western, Queens and any other schools that heavily favour the best two years or more recent years (Manitoba has very favourable weighting formula for you and 75% of the pre-interview score is MCAT).

Hi,

Other information:

Thanks

With your GPA, Ottawa isn't really feasible (they put a heavy focus on GPA), and U of T would be tough. You've still got time to bring your marks up, however, and if you've done full-time school each semester you could be eligible for U of T's weighting formula, which could make your GPA competitive there.

While still on the low side, your GPA is ok for Queen's and McMaster, as well as Western if you're willing to consider additional schools. Competitiveness at these schools will really hinge on your MCAT, so it's difficult to give chances until that's written. Aim for a minimum of 9/11/10, with higher being better.

I would also encourage you to work on your ECs. As you've described them, you're lacking both breadth and depth. Right now, you've got some fairly standard pre-med ECs (that admissions committees have seen a thousand times), and you've got fewer of them than the average applicant. Some research experience would certainly help, but that would be just a start. Having more ECs overall (to show you can handle having a lot on your plate) and some more unique ECs (to show you bring something to the table that other's don't) would be a huge plus to places that put an emphasis on ECs like Queen's.

I realize I'm coming across as a bit of a downer, but you're actually in a reasonable spot (pending your MCAT results). There's nothing negative about your application, you're just lacking some positives. That's a fairly simple fix - it just takes some time and effort :D

With your GPA, Ottawa isn't really feasible (they put a heavy focus on GPA), and U of T would be tough. You've still got time to bring your marks up, however, and if you've done full-time school each semester you could be eligible for U of T's weighting formula, which could make your GPA competitive there.

While still on the low side, your GPA is ok for Queen's and McMaster, as well as Western if you're willing to consider additional schools. Competitiveness at these schools will really hinge on your MCAT, so it's difficult to give chances until that's written. Aim for a minimum of 9/11/10, with higher being better.

I would also encourage you to work on your ECs. As you've described them, you're lacking both breadth and depth. Right now, you've got some fairly standard pre-med ECs (that admissions committees have seen a thousand times), and you've got fewer of them than the average applicant. Some research experience would certainly help, but that would be just a start. Having more ECs overall (to show you can handle having a lot on your plate) and some more unique ECs (to show you bring something to the table that other's don't) would be a huge plus to places that put an emphasis on ECs like Queen's.

I realize I'm coming across as a bit of a downer, but you're actually in a reasonable spot (pending your MCAT results). There's nothing negative about your application, you're just lacking some positives. That's a fairly simple fix - it just takes some time and effort :D

What's curt off / safe GPA for ottawa?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, would really appreciate any feedback on my likelihood of getting an interview in any of the Canadian Medical Schools.

First Year: 3.54

Second Year: 3.70

Third Year: 3.90

Fourth Year: 3.90

MCAT: 11/11/11

Taken a full course load throughout my 4 years.

EC's:

Over 1000+ hours Volunteering/Working at Sick's Hospital, as well as research there.

Several Average EC's in regard to sports, peer tutoring, the usual.

Bilingual, if that helps? (Would not like to pursue the French Stream at Ottawa though)

Province: Ontario

Any feedback is much appreciated, and I'd also be looking at schools such as Dalhousie, Calgary, Manitoba and Alberta. (If possible)

Thanks in advance!

Hey, would really appreciate any feedback on my likelihood of getting an interview in any of the Canadian Medical Schools.

EC's:

Over 1000+ hours Volunteering/Working at Sick's Hospital, as well as research there.

Bilingual, if that helps? (Would not like to pursue the French Stream at Ottawa though)

Any feedback is much appreciated, and I'd also be looking at schools such as Dalhousie, Calgary, Manitoba and Alberta. (If possible)

Thanks in advance!

Great work so far, stats are awesome.

I wouldn't rewrite MCAT, unless you really want to meet Schulich's new BS cutoff.

However, after this current cycle, I would recommend applying as broadly as possible since I know many people with similar stats or even better get flat out rejected in Ontario.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just wondering what you think my chances would be for UofA. I didn't get an interview at UofC or the Ontario schools I applied to, so I'm a bit nervous!

MCAT was the weakest part of my application- 29 (10VR, 10PS, 9BS). I'm 4th year IP with a 3.92 application average for UofA and fairly standard ECs (hospital volunteering, a bit of research, international volunteering, involvement with a couple other community and university organizations). Not sure if the MCAT score is too low to hope for an interview though.

Thanks!

EC's:

Thanks in advance!

You're in great shape. The only school you have no shot at is Western, and with your GPA I don't think that's worth rewriting the MCAT for.

I have a couple questions about where I stand. I have decided I will take a 5th year of UG to increase where I can apply. Im writing the MCAT this summer which will also greatly affect where I can apply (if anywhere). my gpa stats so far are.

1. 1.97

2. 3.3

3. 3.78 (one semester only, winter semester is going a lot better)

my questions are, if I finish this year with around a 3.80-3.9 and do that twice more in years 4 and 5, will I actually have a chance at some schools? my first year was low because I received a very bad concussion that left me out of school for 16 days and symptoms (like inability to concentrate and read) lasting months. its been documented by the school and the hospital as well as the local police. would any schools drop that year if I supply documentation? my EC's are ok, a lot of research and long term roles mentoring various types of students at different organizations, plus a few other things here and there (hockey coach, etc.). Im an older student who attended college for aviation before going to university but had to drop out as I got an eye injury and couldnt pass the eye tests anymore. being an older student, taking a 5th year is the last thing I want to do, but may not have other options.

Hi guys,

I've only just recently began to realize how competitive it is to get into med school, so now I'm starting to get really worried about my chances of getting interviews. Please let me know exactly where I stand:

OMSAS GPA

1st year: 3.918

2nd year: 3.908

3rd year: aiming for 3.96-3.98

MCAT

PS 14 VR 9 BS 12 (retaking it this summer to get better VR)

Volunteer

Distress call center responder (dealing with people in crisis); ~1 year

Alzheimer's society volunteer ~1 year

Working with people with addictions/people in poverty ~1 year

Hospital volunteer ~3 years

Neuroscience lab assistant ~3 years (no publications yet)

St. John Ambulance first responder (just starting)

ECs

President of a fairly large leadership organization in high school ~1 year

Music production (composing score for independent film) ~2 years

Piano experience with many awards ~10 years

Mens competitive indoor soccer ~1 year

Various clubs + student council in high school

I'm very worried about my extracurriculars and volunteering right now: I chose not to take on leadership roles in undergrad because I wanted to spend my time working one-on-one directly with people in need (e.g. distress call responder, with with people with addictions) instead of handing more of administrative responsibilities as an executive of a club. Also, I already had leadership experiences in high school (president of leadership organization). But now looking at this forum it seems like everyone has been actively involved in executive roles of different organizations. Also, most of my volunteer experiences are only about a year long, so I'm afraid that it will reflect inadequate commitment. I applied this year (during my 3rd year) to ontario schools but didn't get any interviews.

What do you think my chances are when I apply next year during my 4th year of undergrad? I plan on applying to both IP and OOP. Would I have a chance of getting interviews?

Thank you for your time!

Hi guys,

I've only just recently began to realize how competitive it is to get into med school, so now I'm starting to get really worried about my chances of getting interviews. Please let me know exactly where I stand:

OMSAS GPA

MCAT

Volunteer

ECs

I'm very worried about my extracurriculars and volunteering right now: I chose not to take on leadership roles in undergrad because I wanted to spend my time working one-on-one directly with people in need (e.g. distress call responder, with with people with addictions) instead of handing more of administrative responsibilities as an executive of a club. Also, I already had leadership experiences in high school (president of leadership organization). But now looking at this forum it seems like everyone has been actively involved in executive roles of different organizations. Also, most of my volunteer experiences are only about a year long, so I'm afraid that it will reflect inadequate commitment. I applied this year (during my 3rd year) to ontario schools but didn't get any interviews.

What do you think my chances are when I apply next year during my 4th year of undergrad? I plan on applying to both IP and OOP. Would I have a chance of getting interviews?

Thank you for your time!

Your GPA is strong and that's the most important thing. It gives you a lot of opportunity. You're right that your MCAT VR is going to hold you back at a couple schools, so getting that up would be good.

I think you've got a good base for your ECs - they show that you've got clear interest in medicine and enjoy working in the field, and the music ECs show some rounding. Don't worry about the one-year span on your ECs, your list doesn't read like you're waffling on commitments at all. Overall though, your ECs could be better though. It would probably help to show a bit more breadth, such as paid work, and maybe some depth, such as something tangible from being a lab assistant. A publication would be nice, but I think a poster or an oral presentation at a conference would be a big boost. Leadership stuff is nice and you should definitely take any opportunities to demonstrate it, but it's not required either.

It's harder to get in during your third year, so please don't get discouraged - you're in pretty good shape.

Hi guys, I’ve been a long time lurker and I was hoping to receive some valuable feedback on my own chances of medical school admissions. I would be tremendously appreciative of as much opinions and suggestions from you guys as possible. My application is bit more unconventional than most applicants so I was also hoping to ask some questions. Here is a breakdown:

First Year: 3.27

Second Year: 3.47

Third Year (Fall Semester) = 3.78

Third Year (Overseas Exchange)

Fourth Year: 3.71

Fifth Year: 3.90

cGPA is about 3.6 (possibly a tad bit lower)

MCAT: 12/12/12/ with an R for the WS.

For more background information, I have already graduated from undergrad and as indicated above I delayed my graduation to do a fifth year (therefore, for Western’s case it is not considered by them as a “special year” but a normal year for undergrad). Every year was a full course load. I have quite a few summer courses I took for extra credit, but I haven’t listed them as I do not think they’re factored into the GPA calculations. Born and raised in Toronto (so sadly no geographical benefits)!

For Queen’s and Western the two year/best two year GPA is 3.81 (once again disregarding summer courses). This aforementioned GPA is using my 5th and 4th year as I am unsure how the exchange semester in my 3rd year affects whether or not it is counted. I remember Ottawa stating that the 3rd year exchange renders the 3rd year marks void a couple of years back.

For U of T’s wGPA it is 3.78 (not counting exchange marks or summer school marks). I actually have a question regarding the wGPA for my situation. Since I took a 5th year, does that mean I take out the FIVE lowest credits from my GPA calculation and not the regular FOUR that most undergraduates deduct due to my extra year of undergrad? I assume that is correct, so my wGPA reflects me taking off 5 lowest full credits rather than the regular 4.

Quick rundown of EC’s:

-1 publication

- Research assistant for health care policy at my undergrad university (1 semester)

- 3 different paid lab assistant research positions in countries outside of Canada (I wanted to travel but also do productive research so I managed to get a little creative and found some international internships/scholarships to fund my travels there). Duration of internships lasted from 2 months to as long as 4 months.

- Couple of summers volunteering at Hospitals and Rehab clinics in Ontario

- Three years volunteering in rehab clinic

- ~100+ hours volunteering at another hospital near university

- Orientation leader, taught math to a group of 3rd graders for a year, part of a few campus organizations (but NO leadership experience such as being an executive or chair)

- Volunteered in South America for rainforest conservation

- Volunteered while on exchange in 3rd year with the mentally disabled, deaf, and blind

- Worked at family business during summer times (waiter, cashier, etc.)

- some sports (intramurals, no varisty)

- Some more relatively minor extracurriculars…

My main weaknesses I can see (asides from my GPA) are the EC’s. No real leadership experience in form of being a president/chair/exec of some sort of student body or organization. Also, my longest commitment was only 3 years whereas I’ve seen some people on this thread with 10+ years. Pretty astounding in my opinion!

I have a few scholarships and awards but nothing major. Most are tied in with my international experience (school/government scholarships to fund my exchange) as well as the awards tied to my overseas research experiences. I was always told that because med applicants can become somewhat homogenous in the sense that they all have stellar marks, similar educational backgrounds, etc. it was important for me to try and distinguish myself and “forge my own path”, so I thought I would try and capitalize my own desire to travel with also being productive and obtaining valuable experiences related to my own schooling.

I actually have not applied this cycle as I am currently committed to more volunteer and paid work overseas this year, but I am considering applying next year and was just curious to see what my actual chances are.

Again, I could really appreciate receiving as much feedback as possible. I apologize for how long this post was, but I thought it was necessary to provide what I thought to be required information. Any critics are more than welcome as I’m just trying to get an idea of where I stand atm.

Hi guys,

OMSAS GPA

MCAT

Volunteer

ECs

Thank you for your time!

you should get an interview at ottawa for sure...did you apply this year? people with lower gpa got interviews at ottawa but ottawa only takes 1/5 of the people they interview. if i were you, i wouldnt rewrite just yet. youre guaranteed interviews at good american schools and ottawa. mac and western probably not. you could get a shot at uoft also in 4th year. dont rewrite mcat this year. getting good verbal takes a lot of luck anyways and writing the mcat would just give you less time in the summer for other stuff.