Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

cGPA: 3.88

MCAT: 35 (PS 11/ VR12/ BS12)

I know that a lot of people say it tends to come down to luck and I'm a pretty average applicant. I feel like my ECs are insufficient...at the time I thought they were great, but now looking at the ones above me, I realize I should have participated more to make up for my lack of sports/music hobbies and lack of research experience and publications.

I really want to get into UWO, and I know that they have cut-offs for the interviews for only GPA and MCAT so I stand a chance at that, but then they do have a comprehensive review and I have red flags in my transcript as well as lack of EC consistency, so I'm worried now. I also don't anticipate having VERY strong academic LORs.

ECs:

5 executive positions in clubs

Student Ambassador

100 hours at Canadian Blood Services

less than 100 hours of hospital volunteering (kicking myself for not going back for additional hours)

1 international outreach trip

Coordinated an exhibition (art)

2 years of tutoring (during high school)

1 year working in administration

3 months working as an interviewer for a research study

1 year RA for a faculty of medicine but overall hardly had any duties

Volunteered at various small art related events out of interest (total below 100 hours)

No scholarships mins the incourse scholarships for maintaining GPA.

I could have done more because I didn't virtually nothing (in terms of ECs) for the past year but I was going through some difficult personal times and had to maintain my GPA.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can tell me what my chances are to receive an interview at the following med schools:

UBC: OOP applicant. Academic Average: 85.5% (lowest year dropped). MCAT: meets cutoffs (11/8/12). Non-Academic Activities: I would say they are well above average.

Alberta: OOP applicant. GPA about 3.72 (lowest year dropped). Rewriting MCAT in September (last year got 11 BS/8 PS/12 VR). Non-Academic Activities: I would say they are well above average.

Western: IP applicant/SWOMEN status, 2nd time applying. Two best years: 3.80 GPA and 3.92 GPA. Rewriting MCAT in September (last year got 11 BS/8 PS/12 VR).

Toronto: IP applicant, 2nd time applying. wGPA 3.80. Rewriting MCAT in September (last year got 11 BS/8 PS/12 VR). Non-Academic Activities: I would say they are well above average.

McMaster: IP applicant, 2nd time applying. cGPA 3.45. Rewriting MCAT in September (last year got 11 BS/8 PS/12 VR).

Queen's: IP applicant, 2nd time applying. Last two years: 3.72 GPA and 3.92 GPA (average 3.82). Rewriting MCAT in September (last year got 11 BS/8 PS/12 VR). Non-Academic Activities: I would say they are well above average.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can tell me what my chances are to receive an interview at the following med schools:

UBC: OOP applicant. Academic Average: 85.5% (lowest year dropped). MCAT: meets cutoffs (11/8/12). Non-Academic Activities: I would say they are well above average.

Alberta: OOP applicant. GPA about 3.72 (lowest year dropped). Rewriting MCAT in September (last year got 11 BS/8 PS/12 VR). Non-Academic Activities: I would say they are well above average.

Western: IP applicant/SWOMEN status, 2nd time applying. Two best years: 3.80 GPA and 3.92 GPA. Rewriting MCAT in September (last year got 11 BS/8 PS/12 VR).

Toronto: IP applicant, 2nd time applying. wGPA about 3.80. Rewriting MCAT in September (last year got 11 BS/8 PS/12 VR). Non-Academic Activities: I would say they are well above average.

McMaster: IP applicant, 2nd time applying. cGPA about 3.40. Rewriting MCAT in September (last year got 11 BS/8 PS/12 VR).

Queen's: IP applicant, 2nd time applying. Last two years: 3.71 GPA and 3.92 GPA (average 3.82). Rewriting MCAT in September (last year got 11 BS/8 PS/12 VR). Non-Academic Activities: I would say they are well above average.

It's not worth applying to UBC, Alberta, or UofT.  

Definitely apply to Queen's. 

Apply to Western if you score at least a 11/9/11 (BS/PS/VR) after rewriting the MCAT.

McMaster is a reach, but still apply. 

Toronto: IP applicant, 2nd time applying. wGPA about 3.80. Rewriting MCAT in September (last year got 11 BS/8 PS/12 VR). Non-Academic Activities: I would say they are well above average.

McMaster: IP applicant, 2nd time applying. cGPA about 3.40. Rewriting MCAT in September (last year got 11 BS/8 PS/12 VR).

Queen's: IP applicant, 2nd time applying. Last two years: 3.71 GPA and 3.92 GPA (average 3.82). Rewriting MCAT in September (last year got 11 BS/8 PS/12 VR). Non-Academic Activities: I would say they are well above average.

As usual, I'll restrict my comments to Ontario schools  :P

For both Queen's and Western, if we go by last year's cutoffs, your MCAT will be too low. It's close - very close, but still below. Queen's requires a 9 PS, and that's stayed relatively constant. Last year also seemed to need a 32 total, so you're one off on both counts. Western, because you're SWOMEN, only required an 8 in each section last year, but still wanted an overall of 32. It's not inconceivable that it'd drop to a 31 total, but I wouldn't call it likely either. If your rewrite does nothing else but bump your PS up one to 9 while the other scores are maintained, both schools are great options.

U of T is pretty much out due to GPA. If your ECs included a ground-breaking publication in Nature or something of that stature, I'd imagine they'd give you a look, but otherwise 3.80 isn't good enough without a graduate degree. You'd also get flagged due to the 8 score in PS, but they don't seem to care much about that.

Mac's only a very remote possibility. Your 12 VR is about the only thing saving you, but that cGPA will be near-impossible to overcome. It would take a truly exceptional CASPer score to get an interview, and a fairly strong MMI after that. Technically doable, but a very long shot.

I know it kinda puts the pressure on your MCAT rewrite, but it at least makes things fairly straight-forward. You've got a clear path to a legitimate shot at med school  :D

No chance at U of A or U of C unfortunately. U of C has 3.8 cut off and U of A OOPs usually have ~4.00. Become IP for AB and you'll have a chance for U of C if your ECs r good but still very slim chance for U of A even as IP. And UBC you might have a chance if you're ECs are really good. The formula changed this year and there's more emphasis on NAQ. You're GPA will pull you down and make it tougher for you to get an interview so don't expect too much. I think the ontario schools are your best chance at this point. If you get 36+ on MCAT, apply Sask and Manitoba.

U of T is pretty much out due to GPA. If your ECs included a ground-breaking publication in Nature or something of that stature, I'd imagine they'd give you a look, but otherwise 3.80 isn't good enough without a graduate degree. You'd also get flagged due to the 8 score in PS, but they don't seem to care much about that.

Actually U of T is changing their rule about MCAT flagging this cycle, and there is some discussion of it in the U of T sub-forum. A 9/9/9 is required to move on to file review and consideration for an interview; an 8 in any section will disqualify the candidate.

Hi everyone! 

Long-time lurker, just registered. Would appreciate some opinions on my chances for the upcoming cycle! :)

I'm IP for Ontario.

GPA breakdown

Mac = 3.69 (cGPA)

Queens = 3.84

Western = 3.96 (Assuming I'm calculating my Top 10 credits correctly, if not then 3.91)

Ottawa = 3.86

UofT = 3.86 post-weighting

MCAT: 12PS/11VR/14BS

ECs: Hospital Volunteering (3y), TAing (4 courses), After school program (2.5y), Executive of a couple of clubs, peer mentoring, tutoring, intramurals, one summer of research (no pubs), couple of miscellaneous awards. Nothing spectacular.

Was wondering if it would be worth it to apply to Alberta/Calgary. With worst year removed and converting to Alberta GPA scale, Albertan GPA = 3.85.

Thank you in advance for your input! 

Actually U of T is changing their rule about MCAT flagging this cycle, and there is some discussion of it in the U of T sub-forum. A 9/9/9 is required to move on to file review and consideration for an interview; an 8 in any section will disqualify the candidate.

Heh, I wondered how long it'd take before I started falling behind on applicantion information, was hoping it would be more than a year  :P Thanks for the update!  :D

Hi everyone! 

Long-time lurker, just registered. Would appreciate some opinions on my chances for the upcoming cycle! :)

I'm IP for Ontario.

GPA breakdown

Mac = 3.69 (cGPA)

Queens = 3.84

Western = 3.96 (Assuming I'm calculating my Top 10 credits correctly, if not then 3.91)

Ottawa = 3.86

ECs: Hospital Volunteering (3y), TAing (4 courses), After school program (2.5y), Executive of a couple of clubs, peer mentoring, tutoring, intramurals, one summer of research (no pubs), couple of miscellaneous awards. Nothing spectacular.

Was wondering if it would be worth it to apply to Alberta/Calgary. With worst year removed and converting to Alberta GPA scale, Albertan GPA = 3.85.

Unless they do something crazy this year, you'll get an interview at Western for sure.

Mac would require a strong CASPer - absolutely worth an application though, you'd have a fighting chance.

Queen's will depend on how they feel your ECs stack up. I'll hesitantly agree that your ECs aren't spectacular, but you've got a good base to build on. You've covered most of the standard bases and added some meaningful activities that show some rounding. Another year with a bit more depth in your ECs would go a long way. Guessing whether you'll get an interview at Queen's is always a lot of guesswork - I wouldn't be too surprised if you did get an interview invite, but please don't be too disappointed if you don't get one either. Worth an application here as well.

U of T and Ottawa would be very difficult with your GPA. You're technically past their official cutoffs, but most successful applicants have a 3.90. Since the major factor at both besides GPA is ECs, the combination would probably make both long shots. Unless money is tight an application to them certainly wouldn't hurt - you can't make shots you don't take - but I'd treat them as extras rather than something to pin your hopes on.

So, you've got options - it only takes one school to get in  :D

Hi everyone! 

I'm IP for Ontario.

GPA breakdown

Mac = 3.69 (cGPA)

Queens = 3.84

Ottawa = 3.86

I would definitely apply to all the schools you listed, plus UofC and Dal.

You're not competitive for UofA, UBC, or McGill.

Alright y'all, it's getting tiresome trying to figure what's considered competitive vs. what the cutoffs are for all these schools so I'm hoping one of you all-stars can give me a no BS answer on my chances ;)

Alberta resident and did all my uni here.

GPAs:

1st - 3.01

2nd - 3.29

3rd - 3.49

4th - 3.94

For all the ontario students out there, keep in mind that the above GPAs will be considered a wee bit lower since OMSAS considers A to be 3.9 and A+ to be 4.0 whereas out west we don't differentiate. I suppose there is also the consideration that some school(s) let you drop the worst and noobiest grade every year, which would give a slight boost....anyways, I'm thinking aloud. Or akeyboard.

MCAT PS/VR/BS 11/11/10 and 12/10/10 (my most recent, which I believe is what some Ontario schools look at...?)

I am taking a 5th year to finish up my undergrad and I am anticipating it should be 3.9+. Gotta love those victory laps!

As for ECs, I think I they're pretty solid. They got me an interview in Calgary last year even though my calculated GPA was in the bottom 2% (however, it was my only interview).

Anyways, I'm putting my future in your hands, let me know where I even stand a chance!

Thanks in advance for the infinite wisdom!

Dear All, what's my roommate's chance this year?

- Just Graduated with B.S. from top school in Canada this May at age 20

- OMSAS cGPA = 3.72 (+ or - 0.05 each year)

- AMCAS cGPA = 3.72 (science GPA = 3.73)

- MCAT 40 (2013,14BS,12VR,14PS)

- Ontario IP

- Below average ECs, no research

Apply to these MD schools:

- Ontario, IP = McMaster, Toronto(weighted GPA = 3.88), Queen's(last 2 years GPA = 3.70)

- West Canada, OOP = Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

- USA, Canadian = Columbia, Dartmouth, Case Western, North Western, Albert Einstein, SUNY-upstate, Wayne State, Oakland

Any input?

- Ontario IP

- Ontario, IP = McMaster, Toronto(weighted GPA = 3.88), Queen's(last 2 years GPA = 3.70)

- USA, Canadian = Columbia, Dartmouth, Case Western, North Western, Albert Einstein, SUNY-upstate, Wayne State, Oakland

Any input?

Great shot at McMaster provided does well at Casper!

Alright y'all, it's getting tiresome trying to figure what's considered competitive vs. what the cutoffs are for all these schools so I'm hoping one of you all-stars can give me a no BS answer on my chances ;)

GPAs:

1st - 3.01

2nd - 3.29

3rd - 3.49

4th - 3.94

For all the ontario students out there, keep in mind that the above GPAs will be considered a wee bit lower since OMSAS considers A to be 3.9 and A+ to be 4.0 whereas out west we don't differentiate. I suppose there is also the consideration that some school(s) let you drop the worst and noobiest grade every year, which would give a slight boost....anyways, I'm thinking aloud. Or akeyboard.

MCAT PS/VR/BS 11/11/10 and 12/10/10 (my most recent, which I believe is what some Ontario schools look at...?)

I am taking a 5th year to finish up my undergrad and I am anticipating it should be 3.9+. Gotta love those victory laps!

As for ECs, I think I they're pretty solid. They got me an interview in Calgary last year even though my calculated GPA was in the bottom 2% (however, it was my only interview).

Anyways, I'm putting my future in your hands, let me know where I even stand a chance!

Apply to Calgary and Mac. Unfortunately, you won't be competitive anywhere else without your 5th year GPA. If you end up getting a +3.8 add Queen's and Dal to your list.

- Ontario IP

Any input?

As always, I'll stick to Ontario schools  :D

Decent shot at McMaster, as mentioned, depending on CASPer performance.

Poor chances at U of T due to a wGPA on the low end of acceptable - it would probably take strong ECs to get an interview, and it sounds like it's not the case.

It's always a guessing game, but it'd likely be tough to get an interview at Queen's without at least decent ECs.

If your roommate has two years above the 3.70 threshold that meet Western's full-time and 3/5 course level requirements, an application to Western is a must with that MCAT. An interview would pretty much be guaranteed.

GPAs:

1st - 3.01

2nd - 3.29

3rd - 3.49

4th - 3.94

As per usual, I'm good for Ontario schools only.

Ok - non-BS answer: right now, they only school in Ontario you technically have a shot at is Mac, and that's only technically - realistically, you'd need a higher GPA or a stronger VR score, and you probably need both. A 4.0 or close to it in your fifth year will help a lot, but it'd still be an uphill battle to get an interview at Mac. A strong fifth year and you'll have a shot at Queen's. That strong year plus a slightly better MCAT - particularly in the VR and BS sections and you'll have a shot at Western. That about does it for Ontario, unless you qualify for NOSM's rural status.

U of T and Ottawa are straight out due to GPA, particularly if you drop a bit on OMSAS scales. Ottawa does only look at the last three years, but even with a 4.0 in your fifth year, your third year's GPA is just low enough to keep you out.

Since the 2015 MCAT'll be out by the time you're eligible to apply to any Ontario schools (unless you squeeze a write in immediately and apply to Western without knowing your results), that'll probably have to be a part of your plans too.

- Ontario IP

Any input?

Going to be echoing a lot of what Ralk has already said. 

Apply to McMaster, Queen's, and Western.*  It's not worth applying to UofT, Ottawa, or NOSM.

Apply to Dal as well, but it's not worth it for your roommate to apply to UofC, UofA, UBC, UofS, UofM, Mun, or McGill.

*Assuming 3/5 rule is met in best two years

Going to be echoing a lot of what Ralk has already said. 

Apply to McMaster, Queen's, and Western.*  It's not worth applying to UofT, Ottawa, or NOSM.

Apply to Dal as well, but it's not worth it for your roommate to apply to UofC, UofA, UBC, UofS, UofM, Mun, or McGill.

*Assuming 3/5 rule is met in best two years

Not worth applying to UofT because of the lack of ECs/Research or the GPA? Because the wGPA seems like it should be fine