Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

So specifically wondering about Queens, Toronto and Ottawa?

Live on west coast so flying out for interviews would be expensive but would be worth it , if you think I would have a chance.

Concerned with fact I am OOP and 3rd year.

Took 31 credits 1st year and 29 credits second year, does this rule me out for Toronto?

Would really appreciate feedback as I know deadline is approaching!

Please see above for stats.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Would it be worthwhile applying to Ontario schools this year with these stats?

OOP

3rd year

MCAT 37 but VR 10, PS 13, BS 14

ECs i think average

cGPA: 3.96 with 4.0 2nd year

Apply everywhere in Ontario except NOSM and Western. In addition to the schools you've listed, you'll have a decent shot at Mac, so it's worth an application there too.

OOP won't matter at Queen's or U of T. It'll make things tougher at both Mac and Ottawa, but not impossible at either.

Being third year itself won't change much at any of these schools since your GPA is quite good. The challenge most third years face isn't any specific rules or policies against them, but simply the lack of strong ECs. Every school you'll be applying to (except Mac) will judge those ECs directly. Without knowing the details of your ECs, it's hard to say how they stack up, though it's a bit of a guessing game for everyone anyway.

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could give me an honest opinion on my chances for Ontario Medical Schools, as well as UBC, UofA, UofC, and McGill.

Ontario Resident - 4th year

Stats:

1st Year GPA: 3.46

2nd Year GPA: 3.86

3rd Year GPA: 3.99

cGPA: 3.77

Best 2 years: 3.92

Ottawa GPA: 3.86 (or 3.87)

MCAT: 31  - PS - 10 / VR - 11 / BS - 10 (Rewrote my MCAT this morning hoping to get a score to qualify for Western, Queens and UofT)

ECs: Student Council VP for 2 years consec in high school/Let's Talk Science Outreach/Volunteering with International Student Department/Executive of Pre-Med Society, Envrionmental Club and Science Society/Volunteering at Hospital for 2 years/Orientation events/Student Rep on Academic Council/Teaching Assistant currently/Various summer jobs since I was 16/Various Awards and Scholarships/4th Year Thesis

I would appreacite everyone's honest opinion, I need a reality check now, please and thank you! :)

Hello everyone, 

1st year: 3.94 

2nd year: 3.57 

3rd year: 3.95 

4th year: 3.95 - 4 (expected) 

MCAT: 12/11/13

EC's: average (currently have 3 publications, research, sports, few clubs and exec positions) 

UofT wGPA: 3.96 

Western 2 best years: 3.94 

cGPA: 3.82 (Queens and McMaster) 

My primary concern was my GPA. I realize that my Uoft and Western wGPA are competitive but do schools disqualify applicants based on specific courses? I did quite poorly in organic chemistry and was wondering if doing poorly in a particular course like orgo would affect my chances? 

I am looking to apply next september. 

Thank you!

Hello everyone, 

1st year: 3.94 

2nd year: 3.57 

3rd year: 3.95 

4th year: 3.95 - 4 (expected) 

MCAT: 12/11/13

EC's: average (currently have 3 publications, research, sports, few clubs and exec positions) 

UofT wGPA: 3.96 

Western 2 best years: 3.94 

cGPA: 3.82 (Queens and McMaster) 

My primary concern was my GPA. I realize that my Uoft and Western wGPA are competitive but do schools disqualify applicants based on specific courses? I did quite poorly in organic chemistry and was wondering if doing poorly in a particular course like orgo would affect my chances? 

I am looking to apply next september. 

Thank you!

You're essentially good to go anywhere if you have the pre-reqs. 

is a 29 - ( 10B 10P and 9VR ) worthy of applications anywhere?

I believe UofTs cutoff is 9 ... but that would put an extremely high focus on ECs/GPA  as a result?

And I know Mac only looks at VR, but can a strong Casper offset a mediocre 9 on VR?

thanks in advance.

I am planning to rewrite, just might not make the last test date for this 2015 Cycle.

is a 29 - ( 10B 10P and 9VR ) worthy of applications anywhere?

I believe UofTs cutoff is 9 ... but that would put an extremely high focus on ECs/GPA  as a result?

And I know Mac only looks at VR, but can a strong Casper offset a mediocre 9 on VR?

thanks in advance.

I am planning to rewrite, just might not make the last test date for this 2015 Cycle.

Give us some more Info - such as your GPA and EC's. U of T only uses the 9's as cut off - meaning you are fine (according to U of T policy). As for McMaster - apparently 9 people with a VR of 9 were accepted - but again depends on your GPA and your CASPER. If you have the money - apply. 

Hi everyone, 

1st year: 3.99 

2nd year: 3.96

3rd year: 4.00

4th year: In-progress

MCAT: 11/11/10

EC's: average (currently have 2 research (no pubs), club exec, volunteering, science outreach volunteer, classroom volunteer) 

UofT wGPA: 4.00 

Western 2 best years: 4.00 

Ottawa wGPA: 3.97

cGPA: 3.98 (Queens and McMaster)

My primary concern is my extra curriculars as they're not particularly impressive. I don't have any publications, although I have numerous volunteer experiences. I'm also lacking in the awards and achievement category with nothing outstanding (no scholarships). All-in-all, I'd rate my ECs between slightly-below average to average. 

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm currently an Alberta resident and am wondering if I should bother applying to Ottawa, Queens and McMaster. 

1st year: 3.3

2nd year: 3.7

3rd year: 3.6

4th year: 3.8

MCAT: 10/10/11

EC's: hospital volunteering (2years), cultural outreach program (work: 2 summers; volunteer:7 years), exec for two clubs, started own club, planned multiple benefit concerts, psychology research (no pubs), sing in choir (4+ years), orientation program (4+ years), piano (12 years) and some various other volunteering here and there.

Any insight would be helpful! I've started all the applications, I'm just wondering if I should actually submit and pay the fees.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm currently an Alberta resident and am wondering if I should bother applying to Ottawa, Queens and McMaster. 

1st year: 3.3

2nd year: 3.7

3rd year: 3.6

4th year: 3.8

MCAT: 10/10/11

EC's: hospital volunteering (2years), cultural outreach program (work: 2 summers; volunteer:7 years), exec for two clubs, started own club, planned multiple benefit concerts, psychology research (no pubs), sing in choir (4+ years), orientation program (4+ years), piano (12 years) and some various other volunteering here and there.

Any insight would be helpful! I've started all the applications, I'm just wondering if I should actually submit and pay the fees.

Thanks!

McMaster looks at your cGPA and without knowing that (and just doing some simple math assuming same courseload for each year) your cGPA is 3.6. As an OOP with a VR of 10, McMaster will be very difficult for you I feel, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Queen's looks at your best 2 years which for you is 3.75, which is fine, but last year apparently there was 32 cut off, and your MCAT is 31, with that said everything fluctuates and MCAT cut offs may be 30 again and your EC's are varied, so why not try if you have the money. 

As for Ottawa, they look at your most recent 3 years, and if you are not a 3.85 even as In province, there is no point in applying. Judging by your GPA, I would recommend against Ottawa.

All in all, why not take a shot against McMaster and Queens? There is nothing on their website that outright disqualifies you like Ottawa. Your best bet out of all 3 is queens. 

Hey

1st Year: 3.45

2nd Year: 3.48

3rd Year: 3.92

4th Year: 3.93

*All full course load years. 

MCAT (P/V/B): 10/9/11

Any recommendations on which ontario schools I should make an attempt at?

Western's out (verbal), queen's out (mcat), mac is out (verbal), ottawa is possible (calculated your wgpa=3.85, that is the absolute minimum cutoff I believe), and U of T is possible (what's your UofT wGPA? drop 3.0 courses from any year if you had a full courseload every year)

Western's out (verbal), queen's out (mcat), mac is out (verbal), ottawa is possible (calculated your wgpa=3.85, that is the absolute minimum cutoff I believe), and U of T is possible (what's your UofT wGPA? drop 3.0 courses from any year if you had a full courseload every year)

PD28 would realistically need a perfect score on CASPER and even then it might not be possible but then again it might just be.

McMaster looks at your cGPA and without knowing that (and just doing some simple math assuming same courseload for each year) your cGPA is 3.6. As an OOP with a VR of 10, McMaster will be very difficult for you I feel, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Queen's looks at your best 2 years which for you is 3.75, which is fine, but last year apparently there was 32 cut off, and your MCAT is 31, with that said everything fluctuates and MCAT cut offs may be 30 again and your EC's are varied, so why not try if you have the money. 

As for Ottawa, they look at your most recent 3 years, and if you are not a 3.85 even as In province, there is no point in applying. Judging by your GPA, I would recommend against Ottawa.

All in all, why not take a shot against McMaster and Queens? There is nothing on their website that outright disqualifies you like Ottawa. Your best bet out of all 3 is queens. 

Doesn't Queen's look at last two years? So the average would be 3.7?

Hi everyone, 

Ontario resident 

1st year: 3.95

2nd year: 3.90 

3rd year: in progress 

MCAT (p/v/b) 12/12/12

EC's: average (research scholarship with 1 publication, 3 years in musical theatre, president of hospital based performance club, exec of a few clubs, lifeguarding and swim instructing) 

I personally feel that I have the best chances at McMaster but my only concern is that my typing speed is not the fastest and I may not have a lot of time to prep for the CASPER. Being a third year applicant also doesn't help :(

Thanks everybody! 

Hi everyone, 

Ontario resident 

1st year: 3.95

2nd year: 3.90 

3rd year: in progress 

MCAT (p/v/b) 12/12/12

EC's: average (research scholarship with 1 publication, 3 years in musical theatre, president of hospital based performance club, exec of a few clubs, lifeguarding and swim instructing) 

I personally feel that I have the best chances at McMaster but my only concern is that my typing speed is not the fastest and I may not have a lot of time to prep for the CASPER. Being a third year applicant also doesn't help :(

Thanks everybody! 

Pretty good for a third year applicant, I'd agree that your best shot is Mac (they accept more third years than other schools). Good shot at Queen's as well I'd say.

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could give me an honest opinion on my chances for Ontario Medical Schools, as well as UBC, UofA, UofC, and McGill.

Ontario Resident - 4th year

Stats:

1st Year GPA: 3.46

2nd Year GPA: 3.86

3rd Year GPA: 3.99

cGPA: 3.77

Best 2 years: 3.92

Ottawa GPA: 3.86 (or 3.87)

MCAT: 31  - PS - 10 / VR - 11 / BS - 10 (Rewrote my MCAT this morning hoping to get a score to qualify for Western, Queens and UofT)

ECs: Student Council VP for 2 years consec in high school/Let's Talk Science Outreach/Volunteering with International Student Department/Executive of Pre-Med Society, Envrionmental Club and Science Society/Volunteering at Hospital for 2 years/Orientation events/Student Rep on Academic Council/Teaching Assistant currently/Various summer jobs since I was 16/Various Awards and Scholarships/4th Year Thesis

I would appreacite everyone's honest opinion, please and thank you!

For McGill, you need to overcome the girdle of the high GPA for out of province applicants. If there is a place to indicate it, you should bring to their attention the upward trend of your grades and the fact that your last 2 years give you 3.92. Then you need to kill the writing section. Perhaps explain that you had a difficult transition to university in your first year which you overcame and then thrived academically ever since. Good luck.