Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Alberta Resident, applying to UofA, UofC, UBC, UofS, UofM UofT, McMaster, Western, Queens, Dal, debating on McGill as it seems like a shot in the dark and I'm sick of filling these things out.

Finished up my degree already (Biological Science/Physical Science double major), currently doing a gap year buffing up the CV a little.

Stats:

GPA: (as calculated by UofA where I did my undergrad, then by OMSAS in brackets)
1st Year: 3.87 (3.81)
2nd Year: 3.97 (3.95)
3rd Year: 3.94 (3.93)
4th Year: 4.0 (3.94)

UofT GPA: dunno, but its probably 3.95ish as most of my years were like 9 A's/A+'s and then an A-. Also got a B+ in first year that goes away.

MCAT: 12PS/11VR/15BS (38)

Extracurriculars: Not great. Employed as a research assistant for two summers (same job), one summer (one month) as a volunteer research assistant which I continued with next school year doing research for course credit, some other really minor volunteer work in research, one semester of group tutoring, currently volunteering at a non-profit (2 months and counting), one notable academic scholarship, some other less notable scholarships, and then some other miscellaneous stuff like music and snowboarding.

What are my chances? I feel like Alberta is at least an interview as I qualify for their rural applicant program, not very confident about Calgary, and I have no idea for OOP interview chances. Really hoping to get in this year, as my in-province Alberta schools are requesting the new MCAT next year, and I want to cry at the thought of doing the MCAT again after earning a 38 this year and only getting one shot to apply with it.

Alberta Resident, applying to UofA, UofC, UBC, UofS, UofM UofT, McMaster, Western, Queens, Dal, debating on McGill as it seems like a shot in the dark and I'm sick of filling these things out.

Finished up my degree already (Biological Science/Physical Science double major), currently doing a gap year buffing up the CV a little.

Stats:

GPA: (as calculated by UofA where I did my undergrad, then by OMSAS in brackets)

1st Year: 3.87 (3.81)

2nd Year: 3.97 (3.95)

3rd Year: 3.94 (3.93)

4th Year: 4.0 (3.94)

UofT GPA: dunno, but its probably 3.95ish as most of my years were like 9 A's/A+'s and then an A-. Also got a B+ in first year that goes away.

MCAT: 12PS/11VR/15BS (38)

Extracurriculars: Not great. Employed as a research assistant for two summers (same job), one summer (one month) as a volunteer research assistant which I continued with next school year doing research for course credit, some other really minor volunteer work in research, one semester of group tutoring, currently volunteering at a non-profit (2 months and counting), one notable academic scholarship, some other less notable scholarships, and then some other miscellaneous stuff like music and snowboarding.

What are my chances? I feel like Alberta is at least an interview as I qualify for their rural applicant program, not very confident about Calgary, and I have no idea for OOP interview chances. Really hoping to get in this year, as my in-province Alberta schools are requesting the new MCAT next year, and I want to cry at the thought of doing the MCAT again after earning a 38 this year and only getting one shot to apply with it.

Should get interviews easily based on those numbers alone. Hopefully your gap year is filled with meaningful activities that you can write about. You have a strong shot at the in-province schools as long as your extracurriculars and interview goes well.

Should get interviews easily based on those numbers alone. Hopefully your gap year is filled with meaningful activities that you can write about. You have a strong shot at the in-province schools as long as your extracurriculars and interview goes well.

what about me bro, how am i doin'?

Ontario Resident - 4th year

1st year: 3.97

2nd year: 3.98

3rd year: 3.97

4th year: yolo

U of T GPA: 3.99

All other schools: 3.97

MCAT: 12PS/10VR (so close...)/14BS

Sketch: wouldn't say I have a wide breadth of experiences, but the depth is certainly there. one summer clinical research job, research scholarship/abstract/poster/oral presentation (with award), lots of volunteer research (another abstract/poster accepted for a conference next month), long-term volunteering with vulnerable populations (resulting in provincial/regional recognition and awards), long-term involvement and leadership in a health advocacy club, several academic scholarships (I didn't apply for these though). I realize these are what most consider to be "typical premed activities", so I just wanted to be clear that I enjoy what I do. I'm hoping this can be demonstrated by the awards/recognition/leadership/time commitment, but apart from that nothing really stands out. I do participate in some sports but don't think they define me (they're more of a way to stay active/healthy)

Thoughts on how I can make myself stand out?

GPA's in great shape, MCAT's strong too, even if you'll miss Western's cutoff by 1 VR point. Your ECs are fairly typical, but it does sound like you've at least pushed their depth a bit and have had some success with them. You should have a reasonable shot at the four schools you're looking at - Toronto, Mac, Ottawa and Queen's.

In terms of improvement moving forward, you've got a few options. The only weakness I can see in your ECs is employment. A single summer job isn't much, particularly at schools that care about employment like Queen's. Getting a publication in some capacity would be a boost as well, though additional presentations/posters/abstracts are great too. Anything that has an element of responsibility to it is always a plus - the value from volunteer work and club participation/leadership is really role-dependent, since some of those positions involve zero real responsibility while others involve being relied upon by a large number of people.

Either way, your GPA is strong enough to counteract any minor shortcomings in your ECs, so you'll mostly be improving yourself in the margins rather than making big differences in your chances. Just keep looking for opportunities to challenge yourself and provide value to others and you'll be fine.

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could give me an honest opinion on my chances for Ontario Medical Schools, as well as UBC, UofA, UofC, and McGill.

Ontario Resident - 4th year

Stats:

1st Year GPA: 3.46

2nd Year GPA: 3.86

3rd Year GPA: 3.99

cGPA: 3.77

Best 2 years: 3.92

Ottawa GPA: 3.86 (or 3.87)

MCAT: 31  - PS - 10 / VR - 11 / BS - 10 (Rewrote my MCAT this morning hoping to get a score to qualify for Western, Queens and UofT)

ECs: Student Council VP for 2 years consec in high school/Let's Talk Science Outreach/Volunteering with International Student Department/Executive of Pre-Med Society, Envrionmental Club and Science Society/Volunteering at Hospital for 2 years/Orientation events/Student Rep on Academic Council/Teaching Assistant currently/Various summer jobs since I was 16/Various Awards and Scholarships/4th Year Thesis

I would appreacite everyone's honest opinion, please and thank you!

UofA you might have a chance. MCAT tends to be quite high for OOPs (but I do know one OOP who has a low mcat and got in). Queens is a lottery. Western just check cut offs and if you make it then guaranteed interview.  UT it all depends on your essays but you got a solid chance. UBC it depends on how you write your ECs, NAQ now trumps AQ due to the formula change last year. And I forgot if UBC had a weighting formula or not. For UofC anyone has a chance, the problem is how you write your top10.

Assuming you are applying In province some more information would be useful to people deciding on this threat such as:

1.) Have you taken the MCAT? What were your scores? (If your scores were > (PS/VR/BS) (9/11/12), your best 2 years if applying conditional on a >3,7 4th year could make you a competitive applicant with our 4.0 in your third year)

2.) Did take a full term worth of courses every year? (if so U of T drops your worst courses and doesn't count your failed grades I believe, Queens will looked at your best 2 years, a good 4th year will give you that)

A lot of this is contingent on you having taken full course load though.

Certain schools will not include summer courses in their marking schemes (I believe, and people can correct me on this since I'm new here - Queens, Western and U of T, only Mac seems to need it). 

The only one to me that seems like it could potentially be out is McMaster since they look at everything you've done, and the failed courses and D's will show up on your GPA

Just trying to corroborate (lol circa: Law and Order aha) the above post.... 

Because my strongest MCAT (so far) is a 29 - ( 10B 10P and 9VR ) is this worthy of a Mac, Ottawa UofT and Queens application?

I believe UofTs cutoff is 9 ... but that would put an extremely high focus on ECs/GPA  as a result?

I know Mac only looks at VR, but can a strong Casper and ECs offset a mediocre 9 on VR?

My ECs: Somewhat Strong (if I may be so bold lol).

I have co-founded my own charitable NFP group which is going onto it's third year, have two years on Varsity Soccer, multiple volunteer posts and an Observship in Hospital settings.

Lastly and of most import I feel are a published research paper (only third author though) and many other lengthy commitments such as a Don/RAship with my Undergrad Residence in 4th year as well as

My cGPA (if I did right) across all 4 undergrad years is only 3.3 (average of 2.84, 3.44, 3.35, 3.57 across all four years)  but I haven't factored in the courses I took doing my 1 year course based masters as I don't know how this will alter it.

My GPA of that year on it's own is 3.7

thanks in advance, just trying to be selective/ funds are limited.

Just trying to corroborate (lol circa: Law and Order aha) the above post.... 

Because my strongest MCAT (so far) is a 29 - ( 10B 10P and 9VR ) is this worthy of a Mac, Ottawa UofT and Queens application?

I believe UofTs cutoff is 9 ... but that would put an extremely high focus on ECs/GPA  as a result?

I know Mac only looks at VR, but can a strong Casper and ECs offset a mediocre 9 on VR?

My ECs: Somewhat Strong (if I may be so bold lol).

I have co-founded my own charitable NFP group which is going onto it's third year, have two years on Varsity Soccer, multiple volunteer posts and an Observship in Hospital settings.

Lastly and of most import I feel are a published research paper (only third author though) and many other lengthy commitments such as a Don/RAship with my Undergrad Residence in 4th year as well as

My cGPA (if I did right) across all 4 undergrad years is only 3.3 (average of 2.84, 3.44, 3.35, 3.57 across all four years)  but I haven't factored in the courses I took doing my 1 year course based masters as I don't know how this will alter it.

My GPA of that year on it's own is 3.7

thanks in advance, just trying to be selective/ funds are limited.

Hi uk3s,

Based on MCAT - you can only apply to University of Toronto as all other schools have higher cut offs in Ontario (Queens, Western). McMaster minimum is a 6, but with your cGPA of 3.3, you'd need a high VR score (around 12 or so) with decent CASPer to be able to gain interview there. Ottawa does not require the MCAT, but requires a best 3 year GPA of at least 3.85, with most applicants gaining interviews or admission well above 3.9. How does your Master's Degree factor in? Honestly, I do not know. But since U of T's weighted GPA requirement is a 3.6 at the minimum and you do not qualify for these I don't think an application there will be warranted. 

It sucks to hear and I like you am a pre-med and hate reading/hearing this kind of stuff but based on your MCAT and GPA, schools in Ontario are out of the running. Even with a stellar MCAT, the GPA requirements these days are just so high that having a wGPA of 2 or 3 years <3.6 - 3.7 generally won't do if you want to remain competitive. If you are dedicated to doing medicine, you may want to look into the Non-trad forums for some advice. GPA remains one of the biggest factors for gaining an interview in Ontario followed closely by MCAT. If your EC's are amazing, focus on your academics.

Hope I have been of some help, and keep fighting the good fight. 

Hi uk3s,

Based on MCAT - you can only apply to University of Toronto as all other schools have higher cut offs in Ontario (Queens, Western). McMaster minimum is a 6, but with your cGPA of 3.3, you'd need a high VR score (around 12 or so) with decent CASPer to be able to gain interview there. Ottawa does not require the MCAT, but requires a best 3 year GPA of at least 3.85, with most applicants gaining interviews or admission well above 3.9. How does your Master's Degree factor in? Honestly, I do not know. But since U of T's weighted GPA requirement is a 3.6 at the minimum and you do not qualify for these I don't think an application there will be warranted. 

It sucks to hear and I like you am a pre-med and hate reading/hearing this kind of stuff but based on your MCAT and GPA, schools in Ontario are out of the running. Even with a stellar MCAT, the GPA requirements these days are just so high that having a wGPA of 2 or 3 years <3.6 - 3.7 generally won't do if you want to remain competitive. If you are dedicated to doing medicine, you may want to look into the Non-trad forums for some advice. GPA remains one of the biggest factors for gaining an interview in Ontario followed closely by MCAT. If your EC's are amazing, focus on your academics.

Hope I have been of some help, and keep fighting the good fight. 

you've been a great help, thanks zzz_etrigan.

I think I still may apply to UofT and McMaster because - Hey why not; I've spent/squandered money on much less so at least I'll go down swinging.

I am also bilingual so am going to consider the 3 Quebec schools other than McGill as well as worst case Australia. I am familiar with the TFI test required.

thanks again, friend. Truth hurts they say, but also set's us free aha

Ontario resident,

Applying to UofT, McMaster, Queens

Undergrad: completed, Mechanical Engineering (U of T)

Masters: completed, Biomedical Engineering (U of T)

Undergrad GPA Calculation:

OMSAS: 3.82

U of T: 3.89

Mac: 3.82

Queens: 3.78

Masters GPA: Thesis-based 

MCAT: 10PS/10VR/10BS (30)

Extracurriculars: Employed as a research assistant for full-time two summers in undergrad (same job), one summer as a volunteer industrial engineer at a downtown toronto hospital, coaching sports teams in my community and at local highschool all throughout, varsity sport team captain for 5 years, used to played professionally and currently play the sport semi-professionally, played at the world university games in russia representing canada, chaired a student government group for two years, organized fundraisers for the varsity team, currently work full-time in a research commercialization/patent office at a local hospital downtown toronto...attended like 4 conferences in my masters..have a couple of papers that I am ready to submit but not allowed yet because they contain proprietary information and my supervisor needs me to hold off until the patent is filed..he explained this in his letter to OMSAS/U of T..was awarded approx. 20 scholarships through sports and academics over my undergrad and grad which I listed on OMSAS..

Essays: Had some help from a local physician who has been a part of the admissions process at U of T a few years past. Felt pretty good about them. MASc supervisor is my referee as well as one of my committee members and my varsity coach whose known me for 5 years.

Really feel awkward doing this because it feels like I'm bragging or asking for people to stroke my ego but believe me I'm not. I just need an honest opinion. Honestly, I would have thought my chances were decent had I no applied already once during my 4th undergrad and not got an interview anywhere (Western, Mac, U of T, Queens) and then again in my second year of Masters and not got an interview anywhere again (Sask, U of T, NOSM, Dal, Western, Queens, Mac) I really don't know where I stand anymore considering I'm 0 for 11 career apps/interviews. Thinking of Ireland as well at this point but I don't got the cash money.. Tons of qualified people out there so I don't know if I'm not just not at the level, am not playing the game right, or have just been unlucky. Would really like to hear your opinions?

Ontario resident,

Applying to UofT, McMaster, Queens

Undergrad: completed, Mechanical Engineering (U of T)

Masters: completed, Biomedical Engineering (U of T)

OMSAS: 3.82

U of T: 3.89

Mac: 3.82

Queens: 3.78

Masters GPA: Thesis-based 

MCAT: 10PS/10VR/10BS (30)

Extracurriculars: Employed as a research assistant for full-time two summers in undergrad (same job), one summer as a volunteer industrial engineer at a downtown toronto hospital, coaching sports teams in my community and at local highschool all throughout, varsity sport team captain for 5 years, used to played professionally and currently play the sport semi-professionally, played at the world university games in russia representing canada, chaired a student government group for two years, organized fundraisers for the varsity team, currently work full-time in a research commercialization/patent office at a local hospital downtown toronto...attended like 4 conferences in my masters..have a couple of papers that I am ready to submit but not allowed yet because they contain proprietary information and my supervisor needs me to hold off until the patent is filed..he explained this in his letter to OMSAS/U of T..was awarded approx. 20 scholarships through sports and academics over my undergrad and grad which I listed on OMSAS..

Essays: Had some help from a local physician who has been a part of the admissions process at U of T a few years past. Felt pretty good about them. MASc supervisor is my referee as well as one of my committee members and my varsity coach whose known me for 5 years.

Really feel awkward doing this because it feels like I'm bragging or asking for people to stroke my ego but believe me I'm not. I just need an honest opinion. Honestly, I would have thought my chances were decent had I no applied already once during my 4th undergrad and not got an interview anywhere (Western, Mac, U of T, Queens) and then again in my second year of Masters and not got an interview anywhere again (Sask, U of T, NOSM, Dal, Western, Queens, Mac) I really don't know where I stand anymore considering I'm 0 for 11 career apps/interviews. Thinking of Ireland as well at this point but I don't got the cash money.. Tons of qualified people out there so I don't know if I'm not just not at the level, am not playing the game right, or have just been unlucky. Would really like to hear your opinions?

Let's go through the schools you're applying to.

U of T is probably your best shot. Your wGPA is slightly below their standards, but being a graduate applicant makes up for that. You've got some research experience, and the fact that your supervisor speaks highly of you and mentions your productivity is a big plus. Not actually having any papers yet might hurt though, even while you've got them ready to go. You didn't mention any poster presentations or talks either, and that'd hold you back too. You say you've attended 4 conferences, but attendance itself doesn't really mean much if you didn't contribute work to the conference (unless that's what you meant by "attended"). If you're not competitive this year, you should be once your can demonstrate your capabilities in research more concretely. Your other ECs, while maybe a bit focused on athletics, are fairly strong, so that'll certainly help.

Mac would be your next chance. Having a Master's helps out marginally, but your cGPA/MCAT combo is somewhat below average. Your chance at an interview depends on your CASPer and since you've failed to get an interview twice there, that'd be your main hurdle. You need to do above-average on the CASPer, so focus on doing well on it this year.

Queen's is likely out. Your MCAT passes their historical minimums in each section, but not overall. Your GPA is ok and your ECs are decent, so if they lowered their MCAT bar this year you'd have a reasonable chance at an interview, but there's a good chance your MCAT will keep you out this year.

You asked for an honest assessment, so I'll be blunt - you are not an exceptional candidate. Your GPA and MCAT are both just high enough to keep you from being excluded outright, but not high enough to make yourself an overly strong candidate at any school, let alone at multiple ones. Luck might have a little bit to do with it, but your odds going in weren't great either.

The good news is that there are definitely ways you can significantly improve for future cycles. First is a continued improvement in ECs, which will improve your shot at U of T. ECs are your strong point, but at the moment, it sounds like your research ECs (which is what U of T puts the most stock in, especially for Graduate applicants) are on the precipice of being great rather than being great already. Second, you should strongly consider rewrite your MCAT. It's balanced, but not high enough for any MCAT-considering school except U of T, at least not with your GPA. A better MCAT could open Queen's and Western up as possibilities, and improve your chances at Mac.

As for studying abroad, it's not really a great option for anyone (high expense, high risk), and you've got some options here that are worth exhausting before considering going overseas.

Let's go through the schools you're applying to.

U of T is probably your best shot. Your wGPA is slightly below their standards, but being a graduate applicant makes up for that. You've got some research experience, and the fact that your supervisor speaks highly of you and mentions your productivity is a big plus. Not actually having any papers yet might hurt though, even while you've got them ready to go. You didn't mention any poster presentations or talks either, and that'd hold you back too. You say you've attended 4 conferences, but attendance itself doesn't really mean much if you didn't contribute work to the conference (unless that's what you meant by "attended"). If you're not competitive this year, you should be once your can demonstrate your capabilities in research more concretely. Your other ECs, while maybe a bit focused on athletics, are fairly strong, so that'll certainly help.

Mac would be your next chance. Having a Master's helps out marginally, but your cGPA/MCAT combo is somewhat below average. Your chance at an interview depends on your CASPer and since you've failed to get an interview twice there, that'd be your main hurdle. You need to do above-average on the CASPer, so focus on doing well on it this year.

Queen's is likely out. Your MCAT passes their historical minimums in each section, but not overall. Your GPA is ok and your ECs are decent, so if they lowered their MCAT bar this year you'd have a reasonable chance at an interview, but there's a good chance your MCAT will keep you out this year.

You asked for an honest assessment, so I'll be blunt - you are not an exceptional candidate. Your GPA and MCAT are both just high enough to keep you from being excluded outright, but not high enough to make yourself an overly strong candidate at any school, let alone at multiple ones. Luck might have a little bit to do with it, but your odds going in weren't great either.

The good news is that there are definitely ways you can significantly improve for future cycles. First is a continued improvement in ECs, which will improve your shot at U of T. ECs are your strong point, but at the moment, it sounds like your research ECs (which is what U of T puts the most stock in, especially for Graduate applicants) are on the precipice of being great rather than being great already. Second, you should strongly consider rewrite your MCAT. It's balanced, but not high enough for any MCAT-considering school except U of T, at least not with your GPA. A better MCAT could open Queen's and Western up as possibilities, and improve your chances at Mac.

As for studying abroad, it's not really a great option for anyone (high expense, high risk), and you've got some options here that are worth exhausting before considering going overseas.

Thanks for the reply. Very thorough, exactly what I needed. I meant to say I've attended 4 conferences with posters, one of which I orally presented at. Things are looking more clear..

I will consider rewriting that MCAT and definitely reconsider the international gig. Thanks so much for the input...

Thanks for the reply. Very thorough, exactly what I needed. I meant to say I've attended 4 conferences with posters, one of which I orally presented at. Things are looking more clear..

I will consider rewriting that MCAT and definitely reconsider the international gig. Thanks so much for the input...

Haha, kinda wondered if you meant 4 presentations :P

Again, your chances at U of T are decent - it would be completely unsurprising if you were to get an interview and get in.

PEI Resident

Applying to Dalhousie, Memorial, OMSAS potentially

Undergrad: completed, BSc. Honours Biology (St. FX University)

Masters: in progress to be completed May 2015, Master of Health Science with epidemiology specialization (Lakehead University)

DAL: 3.6

MUN: ??? Not totally sure

Masters GPA: Thesis-based 

MCAT: 9PS/10VR/12BS (31), went from 26 ® ==> 31

Extracurriculars: National level variety athlete and captain (XC/track), cancer clinic volunteer, HELP hospital volunteer, president of pre-med/Red cross societies, science councillor, l'ARCHE, volunteer tutor for elderly, physician shadowing (plastic & reconstructive surgeon), Camp Triumph councillor, bunch more that I don't feel like mentioning haha. Quite a variety

Research: undergrad thesis + summer of research, one year GA for prof, completing second GA now, 2 international conferences (one oral one poster), 1 national conference (oral), a couple travel grants, one paper submitted as first author with at least 2 more this year coming, editor on a national journal,

Awards: OGS masters award, male athlete of the year, national award for running/volunteering/school, athletic scholarships (x5), MVP of XC/Track team, award for most outstanding graduating student in biology,  and more random scholarships.

Essays: Had help from profs, friends and family plus some current med students. Tried to be honest and really separate myself based on my activities/accomplishments. 

Random: Great references overall...I think....haha

Realistically my best shot is at DAL based on how they assess GPA and my competitive MCAT score. Lots of connection to Halifax and the area (Mom did PT there in 80's). I'll get an interview based on my MCAT/GPA so I've been practicing extensively for the interview with a professional coach and friends. If anyone could provide me an opinion that would be great! Any chance to improve is worth it. 

BC Resident

Applying to UBC, UofT, McMaster, Ottawa, Queen's, Dalhousie, Memorial, McGill (emptied the coffers to apply across the board)

Undergrad: Fourth year, BSc (McGill University)

McGill: 3.97

OMSAS: 3.97

UofT: 4.0

MCAT: 13PS/10VR/14BS (37)

Extracurriculars: National level golfer (12 years), recreational ice hockey, ball hockey, basketball, cancer research volunteer, hospital volunteering (3 years), president of faculty committee, probably 10 different volunteer organizations (senior care centres, hospitals, mentorship programs, tutoring, an HIV charity), interned at infectious disease clinic, travel, piano (graduated RCM; 15 years), woodworking, editor-in-chief of high school newspaper, peer tutoring, VP pre-med society, physician shadowing (ID specialist, radiologist, & cardiac surgeon).

Employment: Assistant in a medical office, private tutoring, science teacher for after-school programs, proofreading assistant for a PhD thesis, TA for a PSYC class

Research: No publications. Research assistant in 2 labs (one neuroscience, one biology). One research project with a physician (yet to be published).

Awards: 4 University scholarships, Dean's list, math competition distinction award, passport to education, golf order of merit award, high school academic awards. 

Bit concerned about the lack of meaningful research. Would like to end up in Ontario or BC. 

BC Resident

Applying to UBC, UofT, McMaster, Ottawa, Queen's, Dalhousie, Memorial, Manitoba, McGill (emptied the coffers to apply across the board)

Undergrad: Fourth year, BSc (McGill University)

McGill: 3.97

OMSAS: 3.97

UofT: 4.0

MCAT: 13PS/10VR/14BS (37)

Extracurriculars: National level golfer (12 years), recreational ice hockey, ball hockey, basketball, cancer research volunteer, hospital volunteering (3 years), president of faculty committee, probably 10 different volunteer organizations (senior care centres, hospitals, mentorship programs, tutoring, an HIV charity), interned at infectious disease clinic, travel, piano (graduated RCM; 15 years), woodworking, editor-in-chief of high school newspaper, peer tutoring, VP pre-med society, physician shadowing (ID specialist, radiologist, & cardiac surgeon).

Employment: Assistant in a medical office, private tutoring, science teacher for after-school programs, proofreading assistant for a PhD thesis, TA for a PSYC class

Research: No publications. Research assistant in 2 labs (one neuroscience, one biology). One research project with a physician (yet to be published).

Awards: 4 University scholarships, Dean's list, math competition distinction award, passport to education, golf order of merit award, high school academic awards. 

Bit concerned about the lack of meaningful research. Would like to end up in Ontario or BC. 

Your application looks great, you're gonna get in somewhere, don'tcha worry

Hey everyone, wanted to post my info here to get some feedback. 

Ontario resident applying to Calgary, Ottawa, U of T, Queens.

GPA:

Calgary - 4.0

U of T - 3.9

Ottawa - 3.96

Queens - 3.95

MCAT: 

Calgary: 31 (10/11/10) PS/VR/BS

U of T: Meets cutoffs

Queens: 31 (10/11/10)

ECs: Over 8 years of work experience in managerial/sales/customer service, volunteer at local Canadian Center for Victims of Torture, Translator for refugees, High school volleyball coach, Homeless assistance program(Fed/Clothed homeless), Clothing drives for middle east, founder of online chess club, started assisting in research this year, some awards like Honour Roll, some high GPA society, and some other stuff along with things like working out/cycle fit/recreational hockey. 

How's it looking? 

Thanks in advance. 

I've applied to Toronto, Ottawa, McMaster, Queen's and Western, based on my stats how do you think my chances are? First time applying  :mellow:

Region: Ottawa, Ontario

Year: 4th

cGPA (as per OMSAS): 3.94

MCAT (PS/VR/BS): 14/11/13 (38)
ECs: I think they're average, extensive volunteering at Canadian Blood Services and a senior centre, soccer for a few years, refereed soccer tournaments, research experience includes both wet lab (no pub) and qualitative data (1 article submitted for publication), and a few awards (TVN studentship, Professors Union Award, Undergraduate Research Award)..

In province Ontario

wGPA for U of T: 3.89 (Met their MCAT cutoffs, ECs avg: research, volunteer, ECs, etc...)

cGPA of 3.72 for Queens, wGPA worse

Not competitive for Ottawa/Western.

cGPA of 3.72 for MAc

You're good for UofT and Queens IF your EC's are decent and worded really well.

McMaster would be a long shot but I would still apply. You'd have to ace the CASPer.