Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

I've applied to Toronto, Ottawa, McMaster, Queen's and Western, based on my stats how do you think my chances are? First time applying  :mellow:

Region: Ottawa, Ontario

Year: 4th

cGPA (as per OMSAS): 3.94

MCAT (PS/VR/BS): 14/11/13 (38)

ECs: I think they're average, extensive volunteering at Canadian Blood Services and a senior centre, soccer for a few years, refereed soccer tournaments, research experience includes both wet lab (no pub) and qualitative data (1 article submitted for publication), and a few awards (TVN studentship, Professors Union Award, Undergraduate Research Award)..

You'll get an interview at UWO. If you don't screw up Casper, you should get an interview at Mac. Odds for other schools are good, but I couldn't speak to specifics.

Hey everyone, wanted to post my info here to get some feedback. 

Ontario resident applying to Calgary, Ottawa, U of T, Queens.

GPA:

Calgary - 4.0

U of T - 3.9

Ottawa - 3.96

Queens - 3.95

MCAT: 

Calgary: 31 (10/11/10) PS/VR/BS

U of T: Meets cutoffs

Queens: 31 (10/11/10)

ECs: Over 8 years of work experience in managerial/sales/customer service, volunteer at local Canadian Center for Victims of Torture, Translator for refugees, High school volleyball coach, Homeless assistance program(Fed/Clothed homeless), Clothing drives for middle east, founder of online chess club, started assisting in research this year, some awards like Honour Roll, some high GPA society, and some other stuff along with things like working out/cycle fit/recreational hockey. 

How's it looking? 

Thanks in advance. 

I think you have an amazing shot! Great GPA, solid MCAT (especially VR) and not to be too biased but I'm a big fan of your ECs. You work with refugees, homeless groups, play chess and hockey... <3 

You'll get an interview at UWO. If you don't screw up Casper, you should get an interview at Mac. Odds for other schools are good, but I couldn't speak to specifics.

Thanks! I'm more so gunning for Ottawa or Toronto as my primary choices, but would be happy at any of the other schools I applied to as well.

Hey everyone, I'm just wondering what my chances are.

On a GPA/MCAT level I'm pretty set:

GPA: 4.0GPA every year

MCAT: 13/11/13

But I really messed up my application (at least my essays) so I'm pretty sure UofT is out of the question. Also, my ABS is lacking (no work experience, a couple execs, average volunteering and little research). What schools should I be worried about?

Thanks

But I really messed up my application (at least my essays) so I'm pretty sure UofT is out of the question. Also, my ABS is lacking (no work experience, a couple execs, average volunteering and little research). What schools should I be worried about?

Thanks

Where did you apply?

Hi everyone, first time poster here and hoping to get some feedback.

Ontario resident who graduated applying to Ottawa, Queens, Mac, UofT and Western.

cGPA: 3.83 (don't think I qualify for UofT)

Queens/Western: 3.96

Ottawa: 3.93

MCAT (PS/VR/BS): first: 9/8/9  second:10/12/11

ECs: 5 years of retail, another year of tutoring, 4 years of coaching high school sports, honour's thesis with a couple of years of research (no pubs as of yet), volunteering/shadowing in a clinic, lots of sports (intermurals, leagues), some community volunteering, and a few awards received for academic achievements.

Really just looking for some feedback for these schools and any further steps I could/should take in case I don't get in this year.

Thanks again!

Ontario resident who graduated applying to Ottawa, Queens, Mac, UofT and Western.

ECs: 5 years of retail, another year of tutoring, 4 years of coaching high school sports, honour's thesis with a couple of years of research (no pubs as of yet), volunteering/shadowing in a clinic, lots of sports (intermurals, leagues), some community volunteering, and a few awards received for academic achievements.

Really just looking for some feedback for these schools and any further steps I could/should take in case I don't get in this year.

Thanks again!

Just wondering, how did you up your verbal from 8 to 12? Btw, for western, I believe the BS cutoff is 12. But still apply, it might be lower next cycle

Thanks again!

Decent shot at Mac if your cGPA isn't much below the wGPA you listed for Toronto, and you do well enough on the CASPer. Probably not going to get an interview at U of T (wGPA) or Western (MCAT BS section), though the applications there won't hurt.

Queen's and Ottawa will all come down to ECs. By the looks of it you've got some interesting parts to your ECs, but they aren't necessarily strong. Coaching is probably the best aspect you have. Whether you get an interview at either of these will likely depend on how you've presented your ECs and a little bit of luck (which is always the case at EC-heavy schools). Moving forward, ECs should probably be the focus. Work experience with an increasing degree of responsibility helps. Continued research with some sort of production would be great. Publications are excellent but aren't necessary; poster presentations or talks would be very helpful. Any sort of volunteer work that continues to show an interest and aptitude in health care or helping others will make a difference, again with a focus on roles with some responsibility (i.e. something more involved than shadowing). 

Just wondering, how did you up your verbal from 8 to 12? Btw, for western, I believe the BS cutoff is 12. But still apply, it might be lower next cycle

Hi, I think the difference for me this time around was developing a step-by-step approach that worked for me (e.g. preview questions, highlight/not to highlight) and going over the passage questions (EK and TPR), and not just dismissing them as "bad" questions or to me having an off day.  The biggest difference for me though was having someone to review the questions with after answering the passages, and trying to logically justify my answer and why it was the best choice.  After a while I found out that I couldn't really justify a few of my answers or that I focused on small details that had nothing to do with the overall theme of the passage.

Decent shot at Mac if your cGPA isn't much below the wGPA you listed for Toronto, and you do well enough on the CASPer. Probably not going to get an interview at U of T (wGPA) or Western (MCAT BS section), though the applications there won't hurt.

Queen's and Ottawa will all come down to ECs. By the looks of it you've got some interesting parts to your ECs, but they aren't necessarily strong. Coaching is probably the best aspect you have. Whether you get an interview at either of these will likely depend on how you've presented your ECs and a little bit of luck (which is always the case at EC-heavy schools). Moving forward, ECs should probably be the focus. Work experience with an increasing degree of responsibility helps. Continued research with some sort of production would be great. Publications are excellent but aren't necessary; poster presentations or talks would be very helpful. Any sort of volunteer work that continues to show an interest and aptitude in health care or helping others will make a difference, again with a focus on roles with some responsibility (i.e. something more involved than shadowing). 

Thanks for the feedback! For Mac my cGPA is exactly that (3.83).  I'll do my best to look for a few of those positions that you described to help bolster my ECs.  Would doing a master's (1-year or 2-year) provide a significant benefit in my case?

Thanks for the feedback! For Mac my cGPA is exactly that (3.83).  I'll do my best to look for a few of those positions that you described to help bolster my ECs.  Would doing a master's (1-year or 2-year) provide a significant benefit in my case?

That's a good GPA/VR combo for Mac then - good shot at an interview with a reasonably good CASPer.

A Master's is never going to hurt, but no, it wouldn't be of significant benefit either. It could turn U of T into a possibility (they like grad students), but at the places you have a bit of a higher chance like Queen's, Mac, or Ottawa, it wouldn't make an appreciable difference. Do one if you'd like to do one and feel it'd be good for reasons beyond getting into Med School, but don't feel like that's the path to maximize your chances. It'll bolster your ECs, but so will doing pretty much anything else that's productive and marginally relevant to health care.

Thanks

Queen's may not take you if your ABS isn't great. Ottawa as well...I think?

Still, I wouldn't worry too much. With a 4.0 your odds of getting Ottawa are still pretty good, the 4.0/11 combination should get you a Mac interview if you don't mess up CASPer, and you're guaranteed an interview at UWO.

I would greatly appreciate some feedback. I am applying to UofT, Mac, Ottawa, Queens, UWO.

I am from Hamilton, so I don't have any regional advantages, and I just graduated from undergrad and have very strong LORs, great ECs/volunteering experiences, 2 publications in good journals etc.

cGPA: 3.82

UofT wGPA: 3.92

Ottawa GPA: 3.86

Last two years: 3.87

Best two years: 3.88

MCAT

1st attempt: BS/VR/PS -- 13/8/9

2nd attempt: 11/8/11

VR stayed the same even though I thought I was doing better on practice tests and now I'm screwed for UofT even though with my GPA I think I would have been pretty competitive there.

Also, for Ottawa, based on the website they say as long as you meet the minimum GPA for your category then they only look at ECs and they don't care how much above the minimum GPA you are...and yet very few people on this forum (which is a biased sample of course) got interviews with less than a 3.9, so what's the deal with how they really evaluate GPA pre-interview, is it just a cutoff or is it more than that.

Thanks!!

I would greatly appreciate some feedback. I am applying to UofT, Mac, Ottawa, Queens, UWO.

I am from Hamilton, so I don't have any regional advantages, and I just graduated from undergrad and have very strong LORs, great ECs/volunteering experiences, 2 publications in good journals etc.

cGPA: 3.82

UofT wGPA: 3.92

Ottawa GPA: 3.86

Last two years: 3.87

Best two years: 3.88

MCAT

1st attempt: BS/VR/PS -- 13/8/9

2nd attempt: 11/8/11

VR stayed the same even though I thought I was doing better on practice tests and now I'm screwed for UofT even though with my GPA I think I would have been pretty competitive there.

Also, for Ottawa, based on the website they say as long as you meet the minimum GPA for your category then they only look at ECs and they don't care how much above the minimum GPA you are...and yet very few people on this forum (which is a biased sample of course) got interviews with less than a 3.9, so what's the deal with how they really evaluate GPA pre-interview, is it just a cutoff or is it more than that.

Thanks!!

Ottawa does not determine interview invites solely on GPA cut offs, in fact GPA's have been very competitive (3.91 GPA Average). This is mainly due to the fact that the MCAT is not considered. You need a stellar GPA and stellar EC's for acceptance.

With that said, I still think you may have a shot at Ottawa because of your EC's (if they really are as strong as you speculate).

Queen's may also be a possibility. In fact, I would say it would be your best chance since they do emphasize on EC's and GPA/MCAT are *mostly* considered as cut-off.

McMaster and Western are very concerned with VR scores so I wouldn't count on them, especially western.

Ottawa does not determine interview invites solely on GPA cut offs, in fact GPA's have been very competitive (3.91 GPA Average). This is mainly due to the fact that the MCAT is not considered. You need a stellar GPA and stellar EC's for acceptance.

With that said, I still think you may have a shot at Ottawa because of your EC's (if they really are as strong as you speculate).

Queen's may also be a possibility. In fact, I would say it would be your best chance since they do emphasize on EC's and GPA/MCAT are *mostly* considered as cut-off.

McMaster and Western are very concerned with VR scores so I wouldn't count on them, especially western.

Queen's, unfortunately, wouldn't be a possibility here. They seem to consider the MCAT as a cutoff only, but it's a hard cutoff and an 8 VR is below what appears to have been their cutoff (10) for the past few years.

Really confused over here.  Can't decide what I want to do with my life yet, but I'm thinking about giving medicine a shot.  I'd really appreciate any guidance.  I just finished my undergrad this summer but I did not apply this cycle.  I just couldn't commit to it.

Region: Toronto

cGPA: 3.85
UofT wGPA: 3.94
Ottawa GPA: 3.94
Last two years: 3.97
Best two years: 3.97

MCAT: 12 PS / 11 VR / 12 BS

Extra-curriculars (This is where I think i'm the weakest)

2 years hospital volunteering (5 years ago though..)

Grade 7 Piano

2 years entering doctor requisition forms in a medical lab (I really had to do this for the money, but I hope that since it was in a medical lab it might look good)

Crisis line volunteer 

2 labs.  Poured my heart and soul into one of my labs.  Undergraduate thesis + work totaling 1500+ hours in less than 2 years there.  Potential for publication is there but I'm not banking on anything.  

I really think I need some guidance as to what other extra-curriculars I need to get.  I really think that is what's going to nail me.  I played the game wrong.  I don't think I should have heavily committed to 1-2 things at the expense of other experiences..

I'd REALLY appreciate any input as to what I should do to improve my app for next September.   

Really confused over here. Can't decide what I want to do with my life yet, but I'm thinking about giving medicine a shot. I'd really appreciate any guidance. I just finished my undergrad this summer but I did not apply this cycle. I just couldn't commit to it.

cGPA: 3.85

UofT wGPA: 3.94

Ottawa GPA: 3.94

Last two years: 3.97

Best two years: 3.97

Grade 7 Piano

2 years entering doctor requisition forms in a medical lab (I really had to do this for the money, but I hope that since it was in a medical lab it might look good)

Crisis line volunteer

2 labs. Poured my heart and soul into one of my labs. Undergraduate thesis + work totaling 1500+ hours in less than 2 years there. Potential for publication is there but I'm not banking on anything.

I really think I need some guidance as to what other extra-curriculars I need to get. I really think that is what's going to nail me. I played the game wrong. I don't think I should have heavily committed to 1-2 things at the expense of other experiences..

I'd REALLY appreciate any input as to what I should do to improve my app for next September.

You will get an interview at Mac (as long as you don't bomb CASPer) and Western.

Ottawa doesn't look at MCAT and heavily emphasizes GPA and EC's, so you may not have a likely shot there. Queens also emphasizes on EC's but your MCAT may compensate for that so definitely apply there as well.

UofT prides themselves in conducting holistic analysis of applicants, but I bet they won't care much about your average EC's once they see your stellar GPA and MCAT (remember that the wording of your EC's is equally, and sometimes even more important than the actual context of the activity)

Really confused over here.  Can't decide what I want to do with my life yet, but I'm thinking about giving medicine a shot.  I'd really appreciate any guidance.  I just finished my undergrad this summer but I did not apply this cycle.  I just couldn't commit to it.

cGPA: 3.85UofT wGPA: 3.94Ottawa GPA: 3.94Last two years: 3.97Best two years: 3.97

Grade 7 Piano

Crisis line volunteer 

2 labs.  Poured my heart and soul into one of my labs.  Undergraduate thesis + work totaling 1500+ hours in less than 2 years there.  Potential for publication is there but I'm not banking on anything.  

I really think I need some guidance as to what other extra-curriculars I need to get.  I really think that is what's going to nail me.  I played the game wrong.  I don't think I should have heavily committed to 1-2 things at the expense of other experiences..

Are you taking a gap year? If I would suggest just doing anything you love and doing it Well, it will show on your application if you have really put the time and effort into activities. Your MCAT is perfect for Canada, I had the same MCAT as you.

Your GPA is also good!

Hello,

I have a 3.67 cGPA and a 11 in VR.

What are my chances for getting an interview at McMaster?

Thank you!

To be competitive for McMAster, an approximate cGPA of 3.83 and an 11 VR is recommended. Your cGPA is below average, however your VR is borderline competitive. Correspondingly, you must to do well on CASPer to compensate for your low GPA, but you definitely still have a chance. Not that there is a lot of guidance for how to do well on CASPer (in fact, some say it's impossible to prep for CASPer), but I've heard that Doing Right has been quite useful at least for some people.

Hey guys this is my first post because i really would like to hear your opinions on my chances of getting into UofA or UofC (or anywhere in the US) applying during my 4th year (Im a resident of Alberta)

GPA:
1st year (8 courses): 3.63
2nd year (11 courses): 3.91 
3rd year (10 courses): 3.81 

4th year (won’t finish degree; 6 courses); looking at 3.9 to 4.0 GPA

(during my 4th applying they eliminate the worst year at UofA) 

MCAT: 8 practice AAMC exams average 13PS/8.5VR/11.5BS, but got 9PS/3VR/9BS=21 (ATTEMPT #1) on my first try after my second year of university. During that time there was some major family issue and i think thats what happened there. I planned to write a month later, but my dearest cousin/best friend since childhood passed away that same week. 

I Then wrote 3 times this summer 

(ATTEMPT #2)  7PS/9VR/9BS =25

(ATTEMPT #3) 7PS/7VR/8BS =22

(ATTEMPT #4) 8PS/6VR/10BS =24

EC:
1) I went to South Africa with Reach Out Volunteers for two weeks to help build an orphanage and facilities associated with it, and wild life conservation 

2) Lead organizer of three summer fundraiser dinners that fundraised $500,000+ to sponsor over 480 orphans. These dinners seated 400 people and took over two months of planning, i will be the lead organizer of the 4th annual as well (while studying for the 2015 MCAT) 

3) In fist year acted as Director of Volunteers of  sponsoring orphans worldwide, second year director of events, and became President in my third year of university, elected for my 4th year as president (current year) .

4) Have part time tutored High School Science courses for almost 2 years 

5) Have been part of a team that organized a homeless (roast beef etc.) dinner, and got to interact with the less fortunate, great experience. 

6) Volunteer at a preschool for about a year 

7) Shadowing an ER doc about 6mo

8) Held a two week youth 'building brotherhood program' help eliminate racism, prejudices, and promote peace to children with somewhat troubled pasts, and be a role model for them to perdure their dreams etc. (i was very unintelligent in high school, my GPA is still a shock to me) 

10) Note taking for a disabled class member

RESEARCH: 

1) Have done an intro research course 200 level, great exposure and worked in the department of ophthalmology 

2) currently doing a different 300 level research course with good chance of publication(s)

3) I am continuing with this same research as a summer research assistant in the faculty of Public Health as a job 

4) NSERC URSA grant award

publication in the process

WORK: 

1) Work in a restaurant as a cook/assistant manager for 6 years, part time since 1st year 24hrs per week

2) Currently working with helping provide low income senior citizens with govt funded products to assist them with mobility and more, i represent a company.

REFERNCE LETTERS (mix and match for each school): 

1 PhD Biology Prof
1 PhD Research prof
1 PhD Math prof 

1 PhD Physics prof

1 From founder of Sponsoring Orphans Worldwide

I am comfortable in everything, however VERY disappointed in my MCAT scores. 25 is what i will be applying with, very different from my AAMC FL average (33). 

Honestly I feel very stressed an worked that I’ve worked so hard for so long to have sabotaged myself with the MCAT, especially with the 2015 coming up. For the last 3 years I was focused 24 hrs a day on med. I slept to give my brain a break, i ate to provide my brain with fuel, i volunteers to give myself my empathy and compassion that i needed. I worked so hard for this, and somehow the MCAT got the best of me at a very depressing time when my cousin died. Im so lost I don’t know what to do, I want to do med but how will I ever live these scores down?

Hey guys this is my first post because i really would like to hear your opinions on my chances of getting into UofA or UofC (or anywhere in the US) applying during my 4th year (Im a resident of Alberta)

Not a bad shot at lower tier US schools (so not JH or Harvard). Can't speak to UoA or UoC. Have you considered applying to Ottawa?

GPA:

MCAT: 8 practice AAMC exams average 13PS/8.5VR/11.5BS, but got 9PS/3VR/9BS=21 (ATTEMPT #1) on my first try after my second year of university. During that time there was some major family issue and i think thats what happened there. I planned to write a month later, but my dearest cousin/best friend since childhood passed away that same week. 

Don't know about U.S. As for any out of province schools, you actually have a chance for Ottawa since they don't consider your MCAT and your EC's are pretty strong imo. Your GPA might be a bit on the lower end of Ottawa's admission stats but it definitely doesn't rule you out of the game :)

60% of UofC's pre-interview formula is based on your top 10 (aka EC's worded in an intricate, appealing method), your VR is quite low for UofC (and definitely UofA) but you should still have a chance if you word your top 10 well. 

• 5 weeks later...

GPA:

EC:

1) I went to South Africa with Reach Out Volunteers for two weeks to help build an orphanage and facilities associated with it, and wild life conservation 

2) Lead organizer of three summer fundraiser dinners that fundraised $500,000+ to sponsor over 480 orphans. These dinners seated 400 people and took over two months of planning, i will be the lead organizer of the 4th annual as well (while studying for the 2015 MCAT) 

3) In fist year acted as Director of Volunteers of  sponsoring orphans worldwide, second year director of events, and became President in my third year of university, elected for my 4th year as president (current year) .

4) Have part time tutored High School Science courses for almost 2 years 

5) Have been part of a team that organized a homeless (roast beef etc.) dinner, and got to interact with the less fortunate, great experience. 

6) Volunteer at a preschool for about a year 

7) Shadowing an ER doc about 6mo

8) Held a two week youth 'building brotherhood program' help eliminate racism, prejudices, and promote peace to children with somewhat troubled pasts, and be a role model for them to perdure their dreams etc. (i was very unintelligent in high school, my GPA is still a shock to me) 

10) Note taking for a disabled class member

RESEARCH: 

1) Have done an intro research course 200 level, great exposure and worked in the department of ophthalmology 

2) currently doing a different 300 level research course with good chance of publication(s)

3) I am continuing with this same research as a summer research assistant in the faculty of Public Health as a job 

4) NSERC URSA grant award

publication in the process

WORK: 

1) Work in a restaurant as a cook/assistant manager for 6 years, part time since 1st year 24hrs per week

2) Currently working with helping provide low income senior citizens with govt funded products to assist them with mobility and more, i represent a company.

REFERNCE LETTERS (mix and match for each school): 

1 PhD Biology Prof

1 PhD Research prof

1 PhD Math prof 

1 PhD Physics prof

1 From founder of Sponsoring Orphans Worldwide

I am comfortable in everything, however VERY disappointed in my MCAT scores. 25 is what i will be applying with, very different from my AAMC FL average (33). 

Honestly I feel very stressed an worked that I’ve worked so hard for so long to have sabotaged myself with the MCAT, especially with the 2015 coming up. For the last 3 years I was focused 24 hrs a day on med. I slept to give my brain a break, i ate to provide my brain with fuel, i volunteers to give myself my empathy and compassion that i needed. I worked so hard for this, and somehow the MCAT got the best of me at a very depressing time when my cousin died. Im so lost I don’t know what to do, I want to do med but how will I ever live these scores down?

How do you get 8.5VR and 11.5BS? Has there been a change in scoring with the new mcat?