Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Just wanted a quick estimate, I am only in second year right now.

I predict my cGPA to be around 3.83 for my first two years. (Is this too low?)

EC's: research volunteer since summer after first year, crisis helpline (started in 2nd year), sports, rehab clinic volunteer.

I haven't written the MCAT yet.

What can I do to strengthen my application? I feel like I am extremely below average as an applicant and I don't plan on applying in 3rd year.

Your GPA is a little low, you're out of the running for Ottawa and Toronto is a long shot unless your wGPA pushes you 3.9+. You have another year to bring your GPA up so you might meet Ottawa's cutoff if you kill 3rd year.

You have a chance at Mac, just try to get 128 on CARS and you're solid. Same thing goes for Western and Queen's.

ECs are good, try to have some leadership on there. It's good that you have a headstart on research, try to talk with your supervisor to get you on a paper, present at a conference, and/or apply for a scholarship.

Hey guys, I was just wondering whether it would be worth it for me to apply in September, or whether I should wait until I finish my 4th year, with the assumption that I'll get 3.9-4.0 GPA.

1 - 3.78

2 - 3.77

3 - I expect 3.67-3.70

MCAT: VR/BS/PS = 11/13/13

ECs include

- 1 year research experience (no pubs)

- Executive member on 2 clubs (involved in community outreach), president of another club

- Various community volunteering

- over 300 hours volunteering at a clinic by the end of this summer

- Varsity sports team member for 2 years (have a few medals)

Which schools should I just not bother applying for? Which ones will I have the greatest chance to get in, preferably Canadian, but will consider US if I must.

The GPA is a tough call. You're out of the running for Ottawa and you're practically out for Toronto (unless wGPA is generous to you). MCAT is fantastic and you should expect a Western interview. Mac you're below the average because of your GPA but your MCAT helps you a lot, just do well on CASPER and you should be fine. Queen's is a little unpredictable but you meet their minimum requirements and your ECs are excellent, so it would be worth applying there as well.

ECs are strong, just encourage your supervisor to get you on more productive research (scholarships, conferences, pubs). 

Hi guys, like the 2 posts above me, I`m currently at the end of second year and I was wondering if it would be worth applying in third year...

cGPA - 3.97

MCAT - Planning to write it in May. We`ll see how it goes

ECs - This is where I feel like I am very weak... I`m going to try list everything from grade 11 til now:

- Competitive & varsity throughout all of high school (stopped in uni)

- 1 year in uni as athletic therapist (basically an emergency responder for our university`s varsity teams for acute injury assessments, treatments, taping, etc.), I would be continuing this in 3rd year

- 1 semester volunteer at a spinal cord exercise rehab centre (had to quit due to the shift schedules not fitting my own sched)

- 1 semester as a subcommittee member a red cross organization

-  2 summers as head coach of house league soccer teams 

As you can see, 0 research experience. 

Awards/Scholarships - Just a few in uni for academic excellence, nothing that particularly stands out

Hi guys, like the 2 posts above me, I`m currently at the end of second year and I was wondering if it would be worth applying in third year...

cGPA - 3.97

MCAT - Planning to write it in May. We`ll see how it goes

ECs - This is where I feel like I am very weak... I`m going to try list everything from grade 11 til now:

- Competitive & varsity throughout all of high school (stopped in uni)

- 1 year in uni as athletic therapist (basically an emergency responder for our university`s varsity teams for acute injury assessments, treatments, taping, etc.), I would be continuing this in 3rd year

- 1 semester volunteer at a spinal cord exercise rehab centre (had to quit due to the shift schedules not fitting my own sched)

- 1 semester as a subcommittee member a red cross organization

-  2 summers as head coach of house league soccer teams 

As you can see, 0 research experience. 

Awards/Scholarships - Just a few in uni for academic excellence, nothing that particularly stands out

Eh i wouldn't say that your ECs are weak they show personality and interests. I just get the impression that you don't have a lot of long-term activities (sounds like you didn't do much in first year). Don't worry, I was the same way after second year as well. I found it helpful to pick up some of my old high school activities - try to get back into some of your old sports even if it is just recreational/intramural. Research isn't a big deal but it's worth doing some, I recommend looking for a short project like a systematic review and try presenting a poster at a conference (might be too late for this for OMSAS this year but it's worth considering for 4th year).

IMO GPA is king and a 3.95+ GPA easily makes up for weaker ECs at schools like Toronto and Ottawa, and your GPA is awesome. Keep it up and I think you have a good future, just kill the MCAT and get a 128 CARS. Continue developing those ECs as well, good luck.

Your GPA is a little low, you're out of the running for Ottawa and Toronto is a long shot unless your wGPA pushes you 3.9+. You have another year to bring your GPA up so you might meet Ottawa's cutoff if you kill 3rd year.

You have a chance at Mac, just try to get 128 on CARS and you're solid. Same thing goes for Western and Queen's.

ECs are good, try to have some leadership on there. It's good that you have a headstart on research, try to talk with your supervisor to get you on a paper, present at a conference, and/or apply for a scholarship.

The GPA is a tough call. You're out of the running for Ottawa and you're practically out for Toronto (unless wGPA is generous to you). MCAT is fantastic and you should expect a Western interview. Mac you're below the average because of your GPA but your MCAT helps you a lot, just do well on CASPER and you should be fine. Queen's is a little unpredictable but you meet their minimum requirements and your ECs are excellent, so it would be worth applying there as well.

ECs are strong, just encourage your supervisor to get you on more productive research (scholarships, conferences, pubs). 

Thanks for the reply. I think with the U of T weighted GPA, I could possibly be just above 3.9. Probably not for Ottawa though, unless I kill 3rd and 4th year, like you said. That's sort of disheartening. 

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on this website and I just wanted to know my chances at med school (Canada but would also go to the U.S.) since I am planning to apply this year. I'm sorry in advance if this is posted in the wrong thread!

- Just finished 3rd year undergrad at a Toronto university

- GPA: cGPA is 3.78.  I took a full course load each year so would qualify for UofT's weighted adjustments, I estimate that would put my GPA closer to ~3.84. My GPA is low mainly because of my first year. My parents divorced and I went through a low phase and I'm doing better now but honestly it still affects me. And because of this I also have to work 2 jobs while balancing my other ECs and research etc which I feel took a toll on my grades. But honestly I wouldn't have it any other way because I naturally like to be involved and am passionate about the things I am involved in and I would hate to have to just leave like that.

- MCAT: Have not written it yet, will be writing end of August.

- EC's: Lots of stuff.. I think my EC's are the stronger part of my application since I have held a lot of leadership positions. President/Executive of a social justice club for 3 years, organized numerous human rights and model WHO conferences, volunteered at a hospital for over 3 years, actively been an ambassador for an international development organization raising thousands for micro-financing and education-based projects in countries in Africa, on a youth political organization for a couple of years, part of a mentoring program at my university for first year students, and also do tae kwon do from time to time. In high school I was also part of the student council, soccer team captain, etc.

- Work: I work 2 part time jobs. One of them is a coordinator of a mentoring program at my university, the other is retail.

- Research experience: I volunteer and now work in a research lab since the past year, I'd say I've put in ~200-300 hours. No publications or anything. Will be doing my thesis next year.

I would appreciate any advice/feedback anyone can give! I'm at a stage where I'm doubting myself and don't even know if I should even bother applying... thanks!

Your GPA isn't bad, but a strong fourth year really would help. It might make U of T a possibility, same with Ottawa if the weighting scheme works well enough in your favour. With your cGPA, a strong fourth year showing it entirely possible, so definitely put a priority on that. This cycle might be a bit tougher, since you'll have to go in with the marks you already have.

Otherwise, a lot will depend on your MCAT. If you meet the cutoffs for Queen's and/or Western, you'll have a decent shot at both of those schools. Same with Mac if you do well enough on the new Verbal section.

Your ECs are fairly strong. If you could turn your research work into a poster or an oral presentation at a conference, that would be helpful. Doing a thesis is a good course of action. A publication would be nice too, but at this stage it's more of a bonus than anything else. On the whole though, your ECs are good - just stay reasonably active and they'll be in good shape.

Overall, you've got an application that is very close to being competitive (depending on MCAT score), if not one that is competitive already. More importantly, it wouldn't take much to put you in a position to have a very real chance at acceptance. If your weighted GPA is above the cutoffs for Ottawa, send an application there. Won't hurt to toss one into U of T, even if your chances are low. Send one to NOSM if you have rural or northern status (otherwise don't bother). If your MCAT is good enough, send one to the other Ontario schools as well. Don't doubt yourself - focus on the aspects you can change and you'll be just fine.

Eh i wouldn't say that your ECs are weak they show personality and interests. I just get the impression that you don't have a lot of long-term activities (sounds like you didn't do much in first year). Don't worry, I was the same way after second year as well. I found it helpful to pick up some of my old high school activities - try to get back into some of your old sports even if it is just recreational/intramural. Research isn't a big deal but it's worth doing some, I recommend looking for a short project like a systematic review and try presenting a poster at a conference (might be too late for this for OMSAS this year but it's worth considering for 4th year).

IMO GPA is king and a 3.95+ GPA easily makes up for weaker ECs at schools like Toronto and Ottawa, and your GPA is awesome. Keep it up and I think you have a good future, just kill the MCAT and get a 128 CARS. Continue developing those ECs as well, good luck.

Thank you! Do you think my ECs are not diverse enough? I feel like my ECs are mostly in the realm of sports/athletics, so I don't know if that would be frowned upon :/ I was going to just continue doing these ECs I listed with maybe a TA position (if I can get it) & hopefully research, but I do feel that I am lacking diversity.

Suggestions?

Thank you! Do you think my ECs are not diverse enough? I feel like my ECs are mostly in the realm of sports/athletics, so I don't know if that would be frowned upon :/ I was going to just continue doing these ECs I listed with maybe a TA position (if I can get it) & hopefully research, but I do feel that I am lacking diversity.

Suggestions?

I'm not sure if diversity really matters, just do what you enjoy!

Suggestions?

I'm not sure if diversity really matters, just do what you enjoy!

I'll disagree a bit here - diversity matters, but the definition of diversity is quite broad.

daftypatty, your ECs may mostly be related to sports, but they show many different strengths. Coaching is different from playing, which is different from helping in therapy. That's diversity right there. Otherwise, I agree with chocolatecheese's recommendations - more activities, specifically a bit longer-term activities (even a year, rather than a single semester - you don't necessarily need multi-year activities) would be the biggest boost. Research experience is good, but never essential - pursue research only if you want to, otherwise direct your energies elsewhere.

I'll disagree a bit here - diversity matters, but the definition of diversity is quite broad.

daftypatty, your ECs may mostly be related to sports, but they show many different strengths. Coaching is different from playing, which is different from helping in therapy. That's diversity right there. Otherwise, I agree with chocolatecheese's recommendations - more activities, specifically a bit longer-term activities (even a year, rather than a single semester - you don't necessarily need multi-year activities) would be the biggest boost. Research experience is good, but never essential - pursue research only if you want to, otherwise direct your energies elsewhere.

Thank you to both of you for your feedback :) Greatly appreciated and very helpful

Your GPA isn't bad, but a strong fourth year really would help. It might make U of T a possibility, same with Ottawa if the weighting scheme works well enough in your favour. With your cGPA, a strong fourth year showing it entirely possible, so definitely put a priority on that. This cycle might be a bit tougher, since you'll have to go in with the marks you already have.

Otherwise, a lot will depend on your MCAT. If you meet the cutoffs for Queen's and/or Western, you'll have a decent shot at both of those schools. Same with Mac if you do well enough on the new Verbal section.

Your ECs are fairly strong. If you could turn your research work into a poster or an oral presentation at a conference, that would be helpful. Doing a thesis is a good course of action. A publication would be nice too, but at this stage it's more of a bonus than anything else. On the whole though, your ECs are good - just stay reasonably active and they'll be in good shape.

Overall, you've got an application that is very close to being competitive (depending on MCAT score), if not one that is competitive already. More importantly, it wouldn't take much to put you in a position to have a very real chance at acceptance. If your weighted GPA is above the cutoffs for Ottawa, send an application there. Won't hurt to toss one into U of T, even if your chances are low. Send one to NOSM if you have rural or northern status (otherwise don't bother). If your MCAT is good enough, send one to the other Ontario schools as well. Don't doubt yourself - focus on the aspects you can change and you'll be just fine.

Thanks so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it! I honestly thought my profile was horrible but now I know I can definitely make it better by improving in a few areas and doing well on the MCAT. I'll definitely be focusing more on my fourth year. Another question - do you think I have a better shot at U.S. med schools this cycle? I know a lot of my chance also depends on my MCAT score. Thanks again for your advice! 

Thanks so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it! I honestly thought my profile was horrible but now I know I can definitely make it better by improving in a few areas and doing well on the MCAT. I'll definitely be focusing more on my fourth year. Another question - do you think I have a better shot at U.S. med schools this cycle? I know a lot of my chance also depends on my MCAT score. Thanks again for your advice! 

I'm not all that knowledgeable about US schools, and yes, your chances there would depend on your MCAT, but you probably have a decent enough chance at at least some of the Canadian-friendly US schools.

If you're lucky enough to be able to manage the cost of a USMD school, it can't hurt to throw an application that way. If you do well enough on your MCAT, I think your chances are good enough in Canada that you don't need to go through the extra expense of going to the US, but if money's not a major concern, it's a reasonable path to take. Some might disagree with me, but avoid DO schools in the US - you'd probably get into a USDO school, but DO opportunities are somewhat limited in Canada, and I think you've got better options open to you.

I'm not all that knowledgeable about US schools, and yes, your chances there would depend on your MCAT, but you probably have a decent enough chance at at least some of the Canadian-friendly US schools.

If you're lucky enough to be able to manage the cost of a USMD school, it can't hurt to throw an application that way. If you do well enough on your MCAT, I think your chances are good enough in Canada that you don't need to go through the extra expense of going to the US, but if money's not a major concern, it's a reasonable path to take. Some might disagree with me, but avoid DO schools in the US - you'd probably get into a USDO school, but DO opportunities are somewhat limited in Canada, and I think you've got better options open to you.

Curious, what opportunities are you referring to? Just looking for that other perspective :P   Are you referring to doing residency in Canada(limited, just as anyone else outside of the Canada/US MD pathway) or practice after residency?(Would be the same as a MD, once you do residency and become board certified).

Curious, what opportunities are you referring to? Just looking for that other perspective :P   Are you referring to doing residency in Canada(limited, just as anyone else outside of the Canada/US MD pathway) or practice after residency?(Would be the same as a MD, once you do residency and become board certified).

The first, primarily. There are DOs who match to Canadian residencies, but the official rules on that are variable province-to-province which restricts what's available at that stage as well as the likelihood of getting the desirable opportunities that are available. Yes, if you do residency in the US, coming back to Canada is mostly the same as doing the USMD route with US residency, but that's 7 years, minimum, in the US.

The DO route might be a decent choice for those who have only a small chance here in Canada or with USMD programs - more reliable than true IMG pathways - but for someone who has more than a legitimate shot at those schools, the difference in control over career pathway and location can matter.

The first, primarily. There are DOs who match to Canadian residencies, but the official rules on that are variable province-to-province which restricts what's available at that stage as well as the likelihood of getting the desirable opportunities that are available. Yes, if you do residency in the US, coming back to Canada is mostly the same as doing the USMD route with US residency, but that's 7 years, minimum, in the US.

The DO route might be a decent choice for those who have only a small chance here in Canada or with USMD programs - more reliable than true IMG pathways - but for someone who has more than a legitimate shot at those schools, the difference in control over career pathway and location can matter.

For sure, definitely agree on those all those points then! Just wanted to be clear that you're recommendation was based on sound logic and not a generalization. It would be senseless to not try to get into a Canadian school first haha, as well as a USMD program(price permitting).

It's unfortunate that some provinces(Specifically ON) have removed the CMG status of USDO's after having had them for so many years, I guess the rise of Canadians(majority from ON) studying at USDO schools proved to be too large a population to risk having them come back in the future via the CMG stream and putting the residency numbers out of whack haha. Which is fair enough, I'm all for protecting domestic grads first. If it weren't for the LCME accrediting Canadian MD schools too, I'm sure they wouldn't mind  putting USMDs in the IMG stream as well if the numbers became large enough! :P  (This is mostly being cheeky!)

Thanks again for the feedback! You mention that my chances are good in Canada (with a decent MCAT score of course) but honestly, so far I've only seen people with a GPA of >3.85-3.9 getting acceptances and this worries me a lot. This is why I am considering applying to the US as well as Canada, since I feel I have a better shot there despite the costs.

Thanks again for the feedback! You mention that my chances are good in Canada (with a decent MCAT score of course) but honestly, so far I've only seen people with a GPA of >3.85-3.9 getting acceptances and this worries me a lot. This is why I am considering applying to the US as well as Canada, since I feel I have a better shot there despite the costs.

Most of those GPA's are weighted GPAs. A 3.8+ is good enough for Western, Queen's, and McMaster. You need a good MCAT score for all 3 of these schools, however.

On the other hand, UofT and Ottawa are pretty GPA-heavy and a 3.9 would be much more competitive than a 3.8. Instead, MCAT is not considered at Ottawa, and it's only based on a 9+ cut off for UofT.

People get in with lower averages than that, and remember, it's wGPA that counts. You're in striking distance of a wGPA above 3.85 at U of T, so you're pretty close to being in that competitive range. Foe schools with a lower emphasis on GPA like Queen's or Mac, you're already in decent shape GPA-wise. It's not just people with a 3.9+ cGPA getting in!