Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hi all.

I'm officially an NB resident (but go to school out of province) and am planning to apply for schools this fall. I'll be applying to Dal and MUN but was wondering what chances I have at non-Maritime schools.

My problem is that my GPA on the OMSAS scale is sitting at around 3.5 (due to the fact that I have no financial support from family or government, so I've had to work 1-2 part-time jobs at all times to finance my undergrad). There isn't any upward trend, unfortunately... my GPA has pretty much been at 3.5 every single year. 

I am studying heavily for the MCAT and am expecting quite a good score. My extracurricular profile is quite strong (6 pubs in clinical and pure science research, clinical research internship at a world-class facility abroad, volunteered in Africa, presented at global & national conferences, volunteer work on campus, music, athletics, extensive employment history, lots of lab & research work, research grant, 15+ awards & scholarships).

So, do any non-Maritime schools consider extracurricular profile + MCAT over that excuse of a GPA? I will be applying as an NB resident. 

Thanks guys, any help is truly appreciated.

BTDubs, I am inclined to think your chances are minimal outside the Maritimes anywhere but perhaps McMaster, where a good MCAT (CARS section) and good job on Casper can get you an interview. Post-interview, your interview counts for a lot more than the MCAT and GPA.

That said, so long as you do moderately well on the MCAT, you'll be guaranteed an interview at Dal as an NBer and you'll have a pretty decent shot of one at MUN. There are typically less than 100 NB applicants for the 40 seats available between MUN and Dal so you are actually in one of the groups most likely to get into medical school in Canada.

Looking for some advice. Here are my stats:

UG #1 (Honours Bsc) - all 4 years were ~3.0

UG#2 (Health Sciences) - 1 year complete at 3.96 cGPA, expecting the same next year (almost all upper year courses)

MCAT - 36 (12/12/12)

ECs -

~150 hours hospital volunteering

2 years paid research assistant in a major Canadian med school

1 year volunteer RA

2 conference presentations

2 publications (one 1st, one 2nd author)

Provincial/National team athlete (during 1st undergrad)

worked at integrated health clinic for 2 years as exercise physiologist

ACSM certified exercise physiologist qualification

NSERC summer research award

executive in 1 health related club

founder/president of a second health related club

various honour rolls/scholarships

I am an Ontario resident, and grew up in a rural, but not Northern, community. Basically, I did not have the intention of med school during my first UG, was too focussed on athletics! Coming back to bite me now...

Any advice on where to apply would be much appreciated, I am willing to move anywhere!

Please rate my application, I'm a 3rd year applicant, IP for UBC and am looking at applying to McMaster, Queens, UofT and UOttawa.

UBC GPA 92.8%, OMSAS 3.93

MCAT: haven't written it yet

Employment: 

burger king (when i was in high school)- 2 years

lifeguard, swim instructor, aquafit instructor -3 years

ECs:

soccer player (not high level but did get some awards) -  10 years 3000 hours

coaching and serving as head coach of my soccer team - 4 years 1000 hours

piano RCM level 8 - 10 years, 3000 hours

guitar playing (recreational) - 400 hours, 2 years

soup kitchen volunteer- 200 hours 3 years

senior home volunteer- 50 hours <1year

thrift store volunteer-  100 hours <1year

volunteering with special needs swimmers - 100 hours <1year

RA at clinical lab, 1 poster presentation at undergrad conference - 200 hours <1year

summer camp volunteer - 175 hours, 1 month

also, how far back should i got when listing my ECs?

Please rate my application, I'm a 3rd year applicant, IP for UBC and am looking at applying to McMaster, Queens, UofT and UOttawa.

UBC GPA 92.8%, OMSAS 3.93

MCAT: haven't written it yet

Employment: 

burger king (when i was in high school)- 2 years

lifeguard, swim instructor, aquafit instructor -3 years

ECs:

soccer player (not high level but did get some awards) -  10 years 3000 hours

coaching and serving as head coach of my soccer team - 4 years 1000 hours

piano RCM level 8 - 10 years, 3000 hours

guitar playing (recreational) - 400 hours, 2 years

soup kitchen volunteer- 200 hours 3 years

senior home volunteer- 50 hours <1year

thrift store volunteer-  100 hours <1year

volunteering with special needs swimmers - 100 hours <1year

RA at clinical lab, 1 poster presentation at undergrad conference - 200 hours <1year

summer camp volunteer - 175 hours, 1 month

also, how far back should i got when listing my ECs?

Looks solid, try your luck out :) You have a very strong GPA and well rounded ECs. NAQ can be fairly random according to posters, so you never know! 

Incoming 3rd year WLU, Ontario Resident 

This might be a little premature, just looking for advice. 

GPA: 

1st year: 3.71 (3.5 first semester, 3.92 second semester)

2nd year; 3.97 (3.96, 3.98)

OMSAS: 3.84

Third year applicant so don't have benefit of adjusted gpa

2.7 in a course in my first year, first semester bringing gpa down 

MCAT:

Writing this summer 

EC's: 

8hrs shadowing of neurologist in Asia on a trip last summer

Projected 70 hours of volunteering this summer at hospital 

10 hrs of shadowing family physician, Ontario

Volunteering in lab 1 semester 

With 1 full summer of research, no publications 

One time tutor for a class of 300 for first year psych course 

executive of one school club, general member for 2 others 

Founder of in-school online tutoring service 

intramural soccer for 2 years 

Badminton and volleyball for hobbies 

Editor for fanbased soccer website 

Worked as a landscaper for 1 summer, not sure if relevant 

Worked as an office administrator before that (1 year)

My EC's are a little weak, any shot with getting in without them? 

Applying to Queens, UofT, Mac, Ottawa. 

What are my chances of getting in this cycle?

And any advice moving on into my third year/MCAT/EC's

Incoming 3rd year WLU, Ontario Resident 

This might be a little premature, just looking for advice. 

GPA: 

1st year: 3.71 (3.5 first semester, 3.92 second semester)

2nd year; 3.97 (3.96, 3.98)

OMSAS: 3.84

Third year applicant so don't have benefit of adjusted gpa

2.7 in a course in my first year, first semester bringing gpa down 

MCAT:

Writing this summer 

EC's: 

8hrs shadowing of neurologist in Asia on a trip last summer

Projected 70 hours of volunteering this summer at hospital 

10 hrs of shadowing family physician, Ontario

Volunteering in lab 1 semester 

With 1 full summer of research, no publications 

One time tutor for a class of 300 for first year psych course 

executive of one school club, general member for 2 others 

Founder of in-school online tutoring service 

intramural soccer for 2 years 

Badminton and volleyball for hobbies 

Editor for fanbased soccer website 

Worked as a landscaper for 1 summer, not sure if relevant 

Worked as an office administrator before that (1 year)

My EC's are a little weak, any shot with getting in without them? 

Applying to Queens, UofT, Mac, Ottawa. 

What are my chances of getting in this cycle?

And any advice moving on into my third year/MCAT/EC's

Really work on those ECs. More than anything else, schools are looking for dedication but what I'm seeing are a lot of one-time activities. I'd say it's a bit of a stretch for you to get into Ottawa, Toronto, and Queen's this cycle, but if you get a really good CARS score you have a chance at Mac (which doesn't look at ECs). To be honest I'd focus on improving those ECs for the following year and plan for a 4th year application, where you get the weighting formula which fixes your first year GPA.

I understand that this post might be a bit discouraging but I was in a similar position in my 3rd year. In my experience, I found that one year is a lot of time to improve your ECs and GPA. You can do this if you really put your mind to it!

Looking for some advice. Here are my stats:

UG #1 (Honours Bsc) - all 4 years were ~3.0

UG#2 (Health Sciences) - 1 year complete at 3.96 cGPA, expecting the same next year (almost all upper year courses)

MCAT - 36 (12/12/12)

ECs -

~150 hours hospital volunteering

2 years paid research assistant in a major Canadian med school

1 year volunteer RA

2 conference presentations

2 publications (one 1st, one 2nd author)

Provincial/National team athlete (during 1st undergrad)

worked at integrated health clinic for 2 years as exercise physiologist

ACSM certified exercise physiologist qualification

NSERC summer research award

executive in 1 health related club

founder/president of a second health related club

various honour rolls/scholarships

I am an Ontario resident, and grew up in a rural, but not Northern, community. Basically, I did not have the intention of med school during my first UG, was too focussed on athletics! Coming back to bite me now...

Any advice on where to apply would be much appreciated, I am willing to move anywhere!

Fourth year student doing a fifth year this fall (part of degree):

1st year GPA: 3.95

2nd year GPA:3.811

3rd year GPA: 3.811

4th year GPA: 3.97

cGPA: 3.89

Have not written my MCAT just yet, debating this year or next.

ECs: Intramural Basketball, Welcome Week Rep for 3 years [ongoing role throghout the year], Student Mentor

Volunteer: Part of several faculty committees (at least a year long commitment), 3 Clubs Executive positions, member of substance prevention program since 2013, volunteer at youth and literacy programs, involved with two patient recruitment studies, shadowed physician [3 months 20 hours per week]

Research: Research Assistant 2014 1 Summer Project - Data Collector, data entry for a 9-site multi center study; Head Investigator on a small retrospective chart review [looking to submit for publication and conference]; Systematic Review Data Extractor since January 2015 [ongoing, will get name on paper]; 3 Projects this summer - two will be guaranteed a publication or conference

Awards: One research award monetary worth $7,500, Entrance Scholarship Award 2,500, Dean's Honour's List all four years; [i have my fingers crossed for another award this year  :mellow:]

Your GPA is quite reasonable for most Ontario schools although Ottawa might be a challenge based on past trends. Your ECs seem to be fairly strong as well. Altogether I think you are in a good position to get accepted in Ontario this or next cycle.

To strengthen your position, I would suggest that you write the MCAT soon. I'm sure you're aware that without the MCAT your choices are significantly narrowed which would be a waste considering your competitive stats. Your research is, in my opinion, your greatest EC asset and distinguishing factor. I would also suggest you prioritize the journal submissions so that your publications are finalized.

I don't have much experience with non-Ontario schools, so I can't help there. Best of luck :)

Your GPA is quite reasonable for most Ontario schools although Ottawa might be a challenge based on past trends. Your ECs seem to be fairly strong as well. Altogether I think you are in a good position to get accepted in Ontario this or next cycle.

To strengthen your position, I would suggest that you write the MCAT soon. I'm sure you're aware that without the MCAT your choices are significantly narrowed which would be a waste considering your competitive stats. Your research is, in my opinion, your greatest EC asset and distinguishing factor. I would also suggest you prioritize the journal submissions so that your publications are finalized.

I don't have much experience with non-Ontario schools, so I can't help there. Best of luck :)

Thank you. I know my MCAT is my rate limiting step! As for my GPA I took m English prereqs/Orgo/Physics spread out my 2nd and 3rd year which brought my overall GPA down [my 2 B+s in english really hurt!]. But I'm confident and will continue to do well in my science courses this year.

In terms of volunteering, should I pursue more? I didn't really start joining clubs until this past year.  

Have been feeling really down about my chances lately, could use some advice...

1st year GPA: 3.30

2nd year GPA: 3.77

3rd year GPA: 3.95

current cGPA: 3.67

2y GPA: 3.86

writing MCAT this summer

Some of my ECs:

• currently RA with my own project in physiology research (probably no pubs though)
  • 400 hours of lab volunteering
  • editor of school newspaper
  • intramural sports
  • girl guide leader (6 years)
  • self taught guitarist (7 years)
  • 200 hours of ER volunteerig
  • I raise guide dog puppies (3 years)
  • Residence Assistant (1 year)
  • suicide hotline volunteer
  • a few minor exec positions
  • volunteer with my city's department of public health
  • methadone clinic volunteer

I'm definitely doing a 5th year and probably also a Master's, but what else can I do? Should I skip the Master's and do a 2nd undergrad instead?

writing MCAT this summer

Some of my ECs:

• currently RA with my own project in physiology research (probably no pubs though)
  • intramural sports

I'm definitely doing a 5th year and probably also a Master's, but what else can I do? Should I skip the Master's and do a 2nd undergrad instead?

I think you are on a very good path. Your GPA has gone up a lot each year so kudos on you! You just have to keep that trend up and be in the 3.9+!

I believe Mac is the only Ontario school that looks at cGPA (they have the lowest published GPA out of all Ontario school, and also the widest range). A low GPA is heavily offset by a good Verbal/CARS score for Mac. 

For the other schools, if you maintain a trend towards 3.9+ GPA your next two years, you will definitely be competitive given your ECs.

It doesn't look like you had the greatest first year, but Ottawa only considers your last three years, UofT will drop your lowest 6/8 half credit marks, and Queens will take a look at your two year cGPA. With your ECs I think you will have a very good shot within the next two cycles! 

writing MCAT this summer

Some of my ECs:

• intramural sports

There's a chance you don't need 5th year, if you aced your new MCAT this summer and applied this coming 2015-2016 cycle and accepted. Some school need a degree before enrollment, so you need to be able to graduate before 2016 August.

1. Toronto, UBC, Alberta, Memorial - just need basic old MCAT 9-9-9 or 8-8-8, after dropping your worst 6 courses, your Toronto wGPA will be 3.9. You need strong ECs and reference for these 4 schools which I think you already had it.

2.Ottawa and McGill - MCAT is not needed, but your GPA just not there yet, apply after 4th year if your last 3 years GPA is 3.9+

3. Queen's, Western, Calgary, Dalhousie - only need your last or best 2 years GPA 3.7+, if your MCAT is balanced 32+ and strong Ecs you can apply this summer.

4. McMaster - ECs is not needed, just VR, cGPA, Casper for interview, you can take some summer easy courses to bring up your cGPA to 3.7+ this summer, with VR11+ you still have a chance.

5. Saskatchewan and Manitoba - ECs is not needed, but need a degree before enrollment and 34+ MCAT for out-of-province applicants.

<B>Steps for MD schools application:</B>

1. GPA, cGPA, wGPA, pre-request, degree, MCAT, ECs, reference, essays - you already have them, but keep improve them day by day, year by year.

2. Apply ALL schools that you have a chance for interview - once a year, begin in the summer, last a year, long process.

3. If not accepted, repeat step 1.

There's a chance you don't need 5th year, if you aced your new MCAT this summer and applied this coming 2015-2016 cycle and accepted. Some school need a degree before enrollment, so you need to be able to graduate before 2016 August.

1. Toronto, UBC, Alberta, Memorial - just need basic old MCAT 9-9-9 or 8-8-8, after dropping your worst 6 courses, your Toronto wGPA will be 3.9. You need strong ECs and reference for these 4 schools which I think you already had it.

2.Ottawa and McGill - MCAT is not needed, but your GPA just not there yet, apply after 4th year if your last 3 years GPA is 3.9+

3. Queen's, Western, Calgary, Dalhousie - only need your last or best 2 years GPA 3.7+, if your MCAT is balanced 32+ and strong Ecs you can apply this summer.

4. McMaster - ECs is not needed, just VR, cGPA, Casper for interview, you can take some summer easy courses to bring up your cGPA to 3.7+ this summer, with VR11+ you still have a chance.

5. Saskatchewan and Manitoba - ECs is not needed, but need a degree before enrollment and 34+ MCAT for out-of-province applicants.

<B>Steps for MD schools application:</B>

1. GPA, cGPA, wGPA, pre-request, degree, MCAT, ECs, reference, essays - you already have them, but keep improve them day by day, year by year.

2. Apply ALL schools that you have a chance for interview - once a year, begin in the summer, last a year, long process.

3. If not accepted, repeat step 1.

My wGPA for u of t is only around 3.86, which I don't think would give me anywhere close to a realistic chance. My overall average is nowhere close to UBC averages. Also don't you need like a 4.0 cGPA for McGill and Calgary?

My wGPA for u of t is only around 3.86, which I don't think would give me anywhere close to a realistic chance. My overall average is nowhere close to UBC averages. Also don't you need like a 4.0 cGPA for McGill and Calgary?

4.0--no. However, what is your province of residence?

Every year more than ten thousand applicants applied MD schools in Canada, most of them not fighting for a realistic chance, they're fighting for a chance.

Let's say you meet a school's average wGPA 3.9 and averge MCAT 33, your chance for admission to this school is still slim, because you need outstanding ECs, researchs, references, essays for an interview, even after interview, mathematical your chance for admission still less than 50% For most schools.

So I applied to schools that I met minimum requirements and hope for the best, because I don't know how MD admission office judge, score or rank each applications.

I can say for sure, there's NOT a MD schools in USA and Canada, accepted more than 10% MD students with perfect cGPA 4.0, not Harvard, not Yale, not Toronto, not McGill. Because GPA is not ALL they're looking for.

hm... off the top of my head, I know at least one med student at John's Hopkins, Toronto, UBC, McGill, UofA, Queens, McMaster's and UWO, plus one who was waitlisted at Harvard. Not a single person had a 4.0 GPA. I don't even know anyone in real life with a 4.0

The people I know who made it to med had GPAs anywhere in the 3.7s to 3.9s.  I'd say 3.86 is just fine.  

For the last 2 cycles, I know more than 10 get in MD schools in USA and Canada, some have 40+ MCAT but not a single one has perfect 4.0 cGPA. Yes, their cGPA are 3.7 to 3.9x. Yes, I know some of them with cGPA 3.7 get in with good MCAT and Ecs.

hm... off the top of my head, I know at least one med student at John's Hopkins, Toronto, UBC, McGill, UofA, Queens, McMaster's and UWO, plus one who was waitlisted at Harvard. Not a single person had a 4.0 GPA. I don't even know anyone in real life with a 4.0

The people I know who made it to med had GPAs anywhere in the 3.7s to 3.9s. I'd say 3.86 is just fine.

I agree that 3.86 would be a fine cGPA but my cGPA is ~3.6. Don’t really think I can come back from that, at least in Canada.