Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Mew,

3.86 wGPA for Toronto is not good, but we all know there is a chcnce if you have good MCAT above 9,9,9 and strong ECs to support your application.

Your last two years 3.7+ GPA put you at the door right outside of Queen's, Western, Calgary, Dalhousie.

Improve your GPA, MCAT, Ecs, ... day by day and apply broadly year after year, you will get in one day.

Mew,

3.86 wGPA for Toronto is not good, but we all know there is a chcnce if you have good MCAT above 9,9,9 and strong ECs to support your application.

Your last two years 3.7+ GPA put you at the door right outside of Queen's, Western, Calgary, Dalhousie.

Improve your GPA, MCAT, Ecs, ... day by day and apply broadly year after year, you will get in one day.

What should I do to work on my ECs? Anything I can change or add?

What should I do to work on my ECs? Anything I can change or add?

Calgary website says they only drop lowest year, not best 2 years. Also Dal website says people with low grades on their transcript (which, with a 3.3, I have plenty) won't be offered admission, so I think that's out. The only realistic chance I might have is Western, IF I can meet the MCAT cutoffs.

Also if it makes any difference my 1st 2 years were low because of medical issues

Dal means low as in close to failing-not low as in a B- :P

send in an app anyways!

although Dal is LAST 2 years, or cGPA, whichever is better. I don't knw if that helps or makes it worse, but year year evaluated has to be 3.7 (not 3.7 overall)

Mew,

I thought Dal and Calgary only applied to those who are IP? 

I just assumed as an OMSAS that I'm OOP meaning 3.9+ necessary for anything outside Ontario or the USA. 

Some advice would really be appreciated!

Going into 3rd year of Honours Biology

STATS
1st year: 3.1
2nd year: 3.9
3rd and 4th year: confident in getting at least 3.85
Mostly taken science courses so far

MCAT
Not sure whether or not I should take it in the summer of 2nd year or 3rd year!

ECs
Volunteering in ER and Physiotherapy in local hospital during this summer
Shadowing a physician this summer
Play lots of soccer and part of a team
Run a blog about soccer
Going to start doing research with a prof in 3rd year
Previously done math tutoring
Used to work as an accountant for a local grocery store for 2 years 

I would like to know how I could improve my application. My ECs have been lacking so far but I have started to do stuff this summer. Thank you for any advice in advance! :) 

I thought Dal and Calgary only applied to those who are IP? 

I just assumed as an OMSAS that I'm OOP meaning 3.9+ necessary for anything outside Ontario or the USA. 

umm no.....you need to re-read their websites more closely

Mew,

This is not entirely accurate--it depends on where OP has IP status.

If OOP Calgary: minimum 3.8 gpa + minimum ~128 CARS (assuming the 11 VR still stands for the 2015 MCAT), lowest year dropped with at least a 4/4 courseload.

If OOP Dal: minimum 3.7 gpa in each undergraduate year assessed (edited for accuracy*), but best 2 most recent years taken in gpa calculation with a required 5/5 courseload.

Queen's and Western above is somewhat accurate, but best 2 years for Western is generally quite a bit higher for successful applicants and a relatively strong MCAT cutoff if not SWOMEN.

This is not entirely accurate--it depends on where OP has IP status.

If OOP Calgary: minimum 3.8 gpa + minimum ~128 CARS (assuming the 11 VR still stands for the 2015 MCAT), lowest year dropped with at least a 4/4 courseload.

If OOP Dal: minimum 3.7 gpa in ALL undergraduate years, but best 2 most recent years taken in gpa calculation with a required 5/5 courseload.

Queen's and Western above is somewhat accurate, but best 2 years for Western is generally quite a bit higher for successful applicants and a relatively strong MCAT cutoff if not SWOMEN.

I highly doubt Dal requires a 3.70 for every year of undergrad for OOP. On the admission site it mentions that a 3.7 is needed for "each year assessed". It is most likely referring to the 2 years that will be assessed for GPA calculation

I highly doubt Dal requires a 3.70 for every year of undergrad for OOP. On the admission site it mentions that a 3.7 is needed for "each year assessed". It is most likely referring to the 2 years that will be assessed for GPA calculation

Agreed. Interviewed OOP at Dal with one year at 2.36 (first degree, first year), though my second degree was essentially 4.0 (due to rounding).

Agreed. Interviewed OOP at Dal with one year at 2.36 (first degree, first year), though my second degree was essentially 4.0 (due to rounding).

My mistake--apologies. I'll edit my post to reflect.

Mew,

I got into UofT with a wGPA of 3.87 this year and I wasn't a grad applicant. It can be done.

Starting my 4th and hopefully last year this fall and I need some advice regarding admissions and where to apply. I am IP for Ontario. My situation is a unique one such that I took a semester off after graduation from highschool and took 2 U/M courses which I needed for university and then applied to university in November and started my undergraduate degree in January. I have maintained a full courseload in every semester so I hope UofT considers this and applies their weighting formula in my case.

My stats (GPA follows the OMSAS scale):

Year 1: 3.6 (15 credits during the Winter semester)

Summer: 3.8 (15 credits to make up for the Fall semester as I started in the Winter)

Year 2: 3.59 (28 credits and my worst full year)

Summer: 3.6 (9 credits)

Year 3: 3.75 (30 credits)

Year 4: Hopefully a 3.96 (30 credits)

I'm looking at a best/last 2 year GPA of 3.86 and a wGPA of 3.95 for UofT if they do end up applying the weighiting formula in my case. I believe Ottawa is out of the picture for me with a 3 year wGPA of 3.83. My cPGA will most likely be 3.74-3.75 when I graduate.

MCAT:

Haven't taken it yet but I'll be taking it next summer.

ECs:

- President of 2 clubs on campus

- Volunteer experience with large organizations on campus

- Shadowing a physician this summer

- Student Ambassador for my faculty

- Hoping to get some research experience this coming year (none yet)

- Honours Thesis

- Planning on getting some tutoring experience this coming year (none yet)

Please let me know how I can strengthen my application and which schools I should be aiming for with my stats. I'd appreciate any input I can get. Thank you in advance! :)

Starting my 4th and hopefully last year this fall and I need some advice regarding admissions and where to apply. I am IP for Ontario. My situation is a unique one such that I took a semester off after graduation from highschool and took 2 U/M courses which I needed for university and then applied to university in November and started my undergraduate degree in January. I have maintained a full courseload in every semester so I hope UofT considers this and applies their weighting formula in my case.

Summer: 3.8 (t15 credits to make up for the Fall semester as I started in the Winter)

I'm looking at a best/last 2 year GPA of 3.86 and a wGPA of 3.95 for UofT if they do end up applying the weighiting formula in my case. I believe Ottawa is out of the picture for me with a 3 year wGPA of 3.83. My cPGA will most likely be 3.74-3.75 when I graduate.

MCAT:

ECs:

- Honours Thesis

Please let me know how I can strengthen my application and which schools I should be aiming for with my stats. I'd appreciate any input I can get. Thank you in advance! :)

Sorry I don't know if I interpreted this wrong....but how would you have a wGPA of >3.9 if your best year completed is a 3.8? 

did you mean that you have already completed 4th year with a confirmed 3.95?

Sorry I don't know if I interpreted this wrong....but how would you have a wGPA of >3.9 if your best year completed is a 3.8? 

did you mean that you have already completed 4th year with a confirmed 3.95?

No. I'm not sure if I did it correctly but the wGPA was estimated based on dropping my lowest 3 FCE for UofT only if UofT was to apply the weighting formula in my case. As they do not directly tell you if they do apply the weighting formula, I'm not sure if they will or not.

No. I'm not sure if I did it correctly but the wGPA was estimated based on dropping my lowest 3 FCE for UofT only if UofT was to apply the weighting formula in my case. As they do not directly tell you if they do apply the weighting formula, I'm not sure if they will or not.

oh ok, then as long as you only included grades from years 1-3 in your calculation then you should be good

Summer: 3.8 (15 credits to make up for the Fall semester as I started in the Winter)

MCAT:

ECs:

- Honours Thesis

1. So far you have 97 credits, If you took a summer course to have 100 credits or you have AP/IB credits, Manitoba will drop your worst 6 courses from their 4.5 GPA calculation, but you still need 37+ MCAT for OOP to have an interview invite from recent years.

2. Your GPA converted to Saskatchewan may have pass its 83% cut-off, but you need MCAT 34+ (2014 -2015 cycle) or 35+ (2013-2014 cycle) for OOP to have an interview invite.

3. Western Ontario may put your first winter and summer as year 1 since you started from winter, on your OMSAS application you have to mention this for their attention, anyway, since your year 3 is 3.75 if you pass their MCAT cut-off and interview, they may put you on their waitlist and you need to submit your year 4 and pass 3.7 GPA by the end of May to maintain on the waitlist.

4. McMaster using your first 3 years 3.75 cGPA, if you have outstanding VR and casper, you may have a chance for interview, I personally know some people with cGPA 3.68 to 3.78 get interviewed at McMaster.

Hi, I currently have the following stats 

UWO GPA (best 2 years 3.855)

U of T wGPA (3.9)

Queens cGPA (wGPA is lower): 3.745

McMaster cGPA: 3.745

Calgary GPA (GPA 3.81)

ECs: research, volunteering at various places raning from 4 month- 2 years in duration. No specific club leadership positions. Have done mentoring. 

Do you guys think I have a good chance at Queens, U of T and McMaster with a graduate degree? Planning to apply broadly, with a MCAT of 11/11/12 and planning to retake the new MCAT. Thanks. 

Hi, I currently have the following stats 

UWO GPA (best 2 years 3.855)

U of T wGPA (3.9)

Queens cGPA (wGPA is lower): 3.745

McMaster cGPA: 3.745

Calgary GPA (GPA 3.81)

ECs: research, volunteering at various places raning from 4 month- 2 years in duration. No specific club leadership positions. Have done mentoring. 

Do you guys think I have a good chance at Queens, U of T and McMaster with a graduate degree? Planning to apply broadly, with a MCAT of 11/11/12 and planning to retake the new MCAT. Thanks.

Hello,

You already at the door right outside of MD schools, why re-take balanced 34 MCAT ?

Just apply broadly and improve your ECs, speaking and social skills.

Higher MCAT get you no where except Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Just my opinion.

This was not a full course load year so I'm afraid they might not apply the weighting formula on your GPA. Not entirely sure if summer courses taken can supplement this. 

Hello,

You already at the door right outside of MD schools, why re-take balanced 34 MCAT ?

Just apply broadly and improve your ECs, speaking and social skills.

Higher MCAT get you no where except Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Just my opinion.

Calgary requires the new MCAT. I suppose peace2014 would have to weight whether writing the new MCAT to open the door at one school (at which the gpa for OOP has been met) is worth risking a strong and balanced MCAT score.

- UWO, UT, and McMaster will take the most recent MCAT score for their calculations

- Queen's takes the best MCAT score for their calculations

- Calgary requires the new MCAT

I think it's reasonable with your current numbers to be accepted--you are very close to Saskatchewan as well and I would put that into your pool for schools to which you're submitting applications.

Have you graduated from undergrad? One more strong year in the gpa calculation would really help you. Also, know how to get the most out of your life experiences in your application writing.

Calgary requires the new MCAT. I suppose peace2014 would have to weight whether writing the new MCAT to open the door at one school (at which the gpa for OOP has been met) is worth risking a strong and balanced MCAT score.

- UWO, UT, and McMaster will take the most recent MCAT score for their calculations

- Queen's takes the best MCAT score for their calculations

- Calgary requires the new MCAT

I think it's reasonable with your current numbers to be accepted--you are very close to Saskatchewan as well and I would put that into your pool for schools to which you're submitting applications.

Have you graduated from undergrad? One more strong year in the gpa calculation would really help you. Also, know how to get the most out of your life experiences in your application writing.

Recent graduate, however, wouldnt mind doing a fifth year (Improve GPA and ECs) or a Masters degree (Which I believe helps with Queens, Mac and U of T especially)

Recent graduate, however, wouldnt mind doing a fifth year (Improve GPA and ECs) or a Masters degree (Which I believe helps with Queens, Mac and U of T especially)

If you apply to Calgary after your graduate degree is complete, the gpa from your graduate degree will be used in your gpa calculation as well. I think your gpa is so close to being strong at all schools, that I would probably lean more towards a fifth, non-degree year, but I would check how that year is used at the specific institutions. I'm not sure if coursework needs to be done within an undergraduate degree or if a non-degree year will count at all of the schools you mentioned above. You have tough choices because you're pretty competitive. A really strongly written application would probably help you as well (at the schools where that matters....ie: not McMaster).

Hi everyone,

I just finished my year 3 of undergrad and wanted advice on whether or not I should even bother applying to this cycle to Canadian and US med schools. I would say the #1 thing that affected my GPA the most was my financial situation at home (parents divorced), and I had to work 2 part-time jobs to help my mother, all while trying to get in good ECs. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses, but that's really what it is :( 

1st year GPA: 3.41 (I know.....this is the year my parents separated and divorced, I was extremely depressed)

2nd year: 3.76 

3rd year: 3.60 (one mark lowered my entire GPA)

UofT wGPA: 3.74

UWO/Queens best 2 years: 3.68 (I know I disqualify for UWO)

McMaster cGPA: 3.48 (I took organic chemistry during first year summer and got a D+, big mistake as I basically did NOT study since I was so depressed)

Ottawa: 3.62

US Med schools: overall GPA - 3.50, BCPM GPA - 3.46

ECs: A LOT of leadership and volunteer experience. Worked in a research lab but no publications/conferences or anything like that 

MCAT: Writing it in August...I'm feeling disheartened as I study though, I feel like I'm pushing towards a lost cause.

I know I really screwed up with my GPA, but I'm planning to cut some of my ECs and leave one of my part-time jobs this upcoming year and focus on raising my GPA. I would also do a 5th year if I need to. But my question is: Should I even bother applying anywhere this cycle? Do I have any chances, even if I do manage to raise my GPA? The reason I ask this is because, there are so many people with 3.9+ GPAs who are well-rounded, so why would they even consider someone who started off with a low GPA and increased it later? If I don't have any chance, I would rather know now.

Thanks in advance for reading my post...I would really appreciate ANY advice!