Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

which universities don`t weigh gpa that much? like you can get in with a 3.8?

thanks

You should just look up all of this on each school's admission site for reliable info. But almost all schools greatly value GPA in ontario. Western is the only where you can get by with a 3.7+ GPA, Queen's also has a GPA cut off - unofficially around 3.80. Mac looks at cGPA, but a 3.8 cGPA is enough as long as you have a good VR/CASPer score. Ottawa and UofT are almost impossible if you are under ~3.87 (except maybe if you have Masters/publications/ultra-amazing EC's.

Assuming Ontario resident... Western. Possibly Queens. Possibly Dalhousie OOP. Mac. Most Ontario schools really, except Ottawa and Toronto. Maybe UBC OOP if really good stats otherwise (guessing).

IP elsewhere you're probably in good shape.

Need more info to really assess this, but on its own a 3.8 would be competitive.

Without doubt, apply broadly in Canada. You have decent stats in this lottery where Lady Luck places her role. Good luck!

Thank you! Is there anything else that you think I should do to strengthen my ECs in the mean time? I feel like I don't have any "real" leadership experience, and am unsure if that is going to be a nail in the coffin for my application. 

hey novak,

My profile's probably really similar to yours. Similar in GPA and a shit-tonne of research (6 years including grad school in 4 labs), 3 papers (co-first author, second author review, fifth author in a IF ~30 journal). Did some TA (part of grad school funding) and tutoring work for less than a year by the time I applied.  No other major ECs to speak of otherwise.  Definitely no volunteering in health care or underprivileged communities (at the time of application), no leadership or student societies. I got accepted to McGill IP.  I think you're on a good trajectory and probably have a good chance at UBC, IP applicants have a lot higher acceptance rate at UBC than McGill.

Good luck

hey novak,

My profile's probably really similar to yours. Similar in GPA and a shit-tonne of research (6 years including grad school in 4 labs), 3 papers (co-first author, second author review, fifth author in a IF ~30 journal). Did some TA (part of grad school funding) and tutoring work for less than a year by the time I applied.  No other major ECs to speak of otherwise.  Definitely no volunteering in health care or underprivileged communities (at the time of application), no leadership or student societies. I got accepted to McGill IP.  I think you're on a good trajectory and probably have a good chance at UBC, IP applicants have a lot higher acceptance rate at UBC than McGill.

Good luck

Thank you for sharing that really boosted my confidence, although that IF 30 paper is insane on your part. 

UBC is tough - I know lots of people who got in and many others who didn't, all with ECs much more impressive than mine. I will definitely have to work on my ability to communicate my thoughts during the interview which may be an important deciding factor for whether or not I can outshine the rest of the crowd. 

Thank you for sharing that really boosted my confidence, although that IF 30 paper is insane on your part. 

UBC is tough - I know lots of people who got in and many others who didn't, all with ECs much more impressive than mine. I will definitely have to work on my ability to communicate my thoughts during the interview which may be an important deciding factor for whether or not I can outshine the rest of the crowd. 

I was borderline almost not offered an interview, but when I got there, I felt like one of the things that helped me during the interview was I was able to talk about why my ECs were important to me, how they represent the things I value, and how my personal experiences affected the choice of ECs I got in to.  

Do you guys know anyone who has gotten into Toronto with 0 research experience? Everyone in the U of T Acceptance thread seems to have some research exp and I'm worried since I've never done research in my life 

Nothing is "mandatory", but for U of T, research is generally a good idea, as they value research productivity.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thought I would finally post my stats. I just finished 3rd year and will be applying this cycle to some medschools. I'm applying to UBC and possibly Queens, Western and U of T (I have to call Western to see if I'm considered IP)

Academics
Cumulative UBC Average to date: 85.6%

OMSAS: 
1st year gpa: 3.73
2nd year gpa: 3.92

3rd year gpa: 3.50
cgpa: 3.72

My 3rd year average was 82% but it translates to a 3.50 even though it's an A- average. I had some serious family issues this year so I'll state them but don't expect to bank on them as a  excuse. 

Extracurriculars
(all in university unless otherwise stated)
Volunteering
- patient visiting hospital volunteering: 3 years (ongoing) ~ 400 hours
- patient visiting volunteering in a different hospital: 1 year ~ 100 hours
- Med internship abroad (urban hospital): shadowed doctors and saw some surgeries: 1 month 
- Volunteering abroad (rural health center): went to people's homes and distributed chlorine water purification tablets, taught basic sanitation and health advice along with doctors to villagers: 2 weeks

- academic coaching; part of peer programs at my university: 1 year ~ 100 hours 
- Let's Talk Science (SMaRT program), visited an elementary school as a group and taught basic science (using experiments) to grade 5 students: 4 months ~ 20 hours (lol)
- volunteered in a hospital's auxiliary thrift store: 2 months (this was before starting university) 

Employment
- by my university to teach a 1st year course as a tutor -- 12 months (3 terms)

Research
- original clinical research project #1; self developed and funded by a studentship (started May 2014 - present) expecting a 1st author in journal with IF of 8 by August and have presented the findings in 2 local conferences and will present again in an international conference in Fall 2015

- original clinical research project #2 (May 2015 - present); self developed and funded by a bigger studentship. Submitted abstract (as 1st author) to an international conference in Fall 2015 and abstract will be published in a journal with an IF of 15 (acceptance for this is in August 2015). We'll submit a full manuscript to a journal as well in Fall 2015 ..... oh and my supervisor allows me to shadow him a few hours a week

Awards
- 2 studentships for research
- dean's honours list every year 
- chancellor's scholar awards

Hobbies
- a sport at a rec center, 4 hours a week (but not in a team or anything) <- not sure if I'll even write this on my application
- trivia, did Reach for the top in high school (team was 3rd in Ontario and 1st in regionals)

MCAT
VR: 9

BS: 14

PS: 12

Well, what do you guys think? The main problem I see is my weak 3rd year gpa really pulling me down + my 9 VR on the mcat but I don't know how much these can be compensated for with other things... 

^^ It is tough to compensate for GPA and MCAT with other things, especially as a third year applicant, since cutoffs will be the issue. Do you qualify for weighting for UofT? If so what is your wGPA?

If not, UofT will be a longshot, even with solid research (btw I don't think its common for people to care to much about IF for abstracts since these journals are usually just associated with a conference association), along with Queens because of your GPA. Your MCAT will also make Queens a longshot. I would add Mac to your list of Ontario schools even with a 9 VR. Also might be a challenge, but CASPer is worth a lot and is kind of a black box. 

I'd focus on getting your GPA to the moon during your fourth year. That will benefit you the most. I have a hard time telling people to rewrite the MCAT with a VR 9 because I was accepted to 2 ON schools with a 9VR, but anything higher would almost certainly open up several more doors for you.

Hey guys, thought I would finally post my stats. I just finished 3rd year and will be applying this cycle to some medschools. I'm applying to UBC and possibly Queens, Western and U of T (I have to call Western to see if I'm considered IP)

Academics

Cumulative UBC Average to date: 85.6%

OMSAS:

1st year gpa: 3.73

2nd year gpa: 3.92

3rd year gpa: 3.50

cgpa: 3.72

My 3rd year average was 82% but it translates to a 3.50 even though it's an A- average. I had some serious family issues this year so I'll state them but don't expect to bank on them as a excuse.

Extracurriculars

(all in university unless otherwise stated)

Volunteering

- patient visiting hospital volunteering: 3 years (ongoing) ~ 400 hours

- patient visiting volunteering in a different hospital: 1 year ~ 100 hours

- Med internship abroad (urban hospital): shadowed doctors and saw some surgeries: 1 month

- Volunteering abroad (rural health center): went to people's homes and distributed chlorine water purification tablets, taught basic sanitation and health advice along with doctors to villagers: 2 weeks

- academic coaching; part of peer programs at my university: 1 year ~ 100 hours

- Let's Talk Science (SMaRT program), visited an elementary school as a group and taught basic science (using experiments) to grade 5 students: 4 months ~ 20 hours (lol)

- volunteered in a hospital's auxiliary thrift store: 2 months (this was before starting university)

Employment

- by my university to teach a 1st year course as a tutor -- 12 months (3 terms)

Research

- original clinical research project #1; self developed and funded by a studentship (started May 2014 - present) expecting a 1st author in journal with IF of 8 by August and have presented the findings in 2 local conferences and will present again in an international conference in Fall 2015

- original clinical research project #2 (May 2015 - present); self developed and funded by a bigger studentship. Submitted abstract (as 1st author) to an international conference in Fall 2015 and abstract will be published in a journal with an IF of 15 (acceptance for this is in August 2015). We'll submit a full manuscript to a journal as well in Fall 2015 ..... oh and my supervisor allows me to shadow him a few hours a week

Awards

- 2 studentships for research

- dean's honours list every year

- chancellor's scholar awards

Hobbies

- a sport at a rec center, 4 hours a week (but not in a team or anything) <- not sure if I'll even write this on my application

- trivia, did Reach for the top in high school (team was 3rd in Ontario and 1st in regionals)

MCAT

VR: 9

BS: 14

PS: 12

Well, what do you guys think? The main problem I see is my weak 3rd year gpa really pulling me down + my 9 VR on the mcat but I don't know how much these can be compensated for with other things...

You are so close yet so far. UofT is most likely out unless your wGPA is above 3.85 minimum. Western is out because they require a higher VR. Queen's likes 10+ in each section. Ottawa requires 3.8+ to even apply. Your VR and GPA are low for Mac, with a 99th percentile CASPer it MIGHT be possible so I would say apply (unless you are OOP for Mac, which in that case I would advise not to apply). You can still do this, just bring your GPA up as mentioned and possibly rewrite the MCAT if you believe you can bump up VR to an 11 minimum.

your MCAT is fine for UBC but I believe your GPA is not competitive. Your EC's might make up for it though, if you are IP definitely apply.

My cGPA is only 3.75 with a balanced MCAT of 34 (though strong extracurriculars/decent research/strong clinical experience) but an Ontario from Toronto resident. Do you think I should bother applying to all Canadian schools as OOP to expand my reach or is it just a waste of money? I'm assuming UOttawa is completely out due to my grades, any other schools I should just take off the list? It's one of those - should I apply just in case or is it all a waste of time and effort? I'm planning to apply to American schools too but obviously would choose any Canadian school I get accepted to over an American one. Ideas?

My cGPA is only 3.75 with a balanced MCAT of 34 (though strong extracurriculars/decent research/strong clinical experience) but an Ontario from Toronto resident. Do you think I should bother applying to all Canadian schools as OOP to expand my reach or is it just a waste of money? I'm assuming UOttawa is completely out due to my grades, any other schools I should just take off the list? It's one of those - should I apply just in case or is it all a waste of time and effort? I'm planning to apply to American schools too but obviously would choose any Canadian school I get accepted to over an American one. Ideas?

What scores do you have in each MCAT section? What's your Toronto weighted GPA?

I don't think it's worth applying OOP to UofA or UofC - need new mcat anyway. Ubc possibly - very competitive. Think sask - 34 is borderline competitive not sure of Manitoba. Dal - yes. nosm no - western only if at least 12 bio and 11 vr.