Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

I've seen several posts showing volunteering experience at rehabs. Volunteer experience at addiction treatments centers are valued only if they are at good rehab centers. There are a lot of mock-ups around town. For Mac, U Toronto and Queen’s you’ll need solid volunteer experience and reference letters. This Canada rehab reviews page - http://www.canadarehabreviews.com/rehab-programs/ lists rehab centers that you can volunteer at. Look and ask around for good rehab center reviews and zero in on a few before applying. 

Well this isn't close to being true. For example, Mac doesn't look at ECs at all - you can have zero volunteer experience. Volunteering at any addiction treatment centre can be valuable, even if your main take-away is that the particular rehab centre you worked at had some serious flaws. This looks like an ill-informed add placement for the linked site.

My opinions:

Your GPA is great. Maybe a little low for Ottawa but you still have a chance.

You definitely should reconsider your MCAT. Last year I applied with a 12/8/14 and basically the same GPA (and similar ECs, mine were a bit worse) and I got no interviews. I honestly believe it was because of that 8 verbal.

You've already identified what your deficiencies were in your ECs. Try to get a conference/publication, clinical experience, and a club exec role. It's a little bit late for that stuff but honestly I think they're fine as it is.

Agree with all this.

With that much research experience, a presentation should be in the works. If you're currently working on a project, it's worth talking to your supervisor to see if you can make that happen. Publications are great, of course, but they can take a long time to happen even if you do everything right and they're mostly just a bonus. Get the presentation if you can.

In terms of other ECs, more clinical experience would be good, but it's not necessary either. Same with club exec positions. I agree your ECs could be better, but you don't have any notable weaknesses either, so really doing anything that pushes you a bit would be fine. That can be just about anything as long as you're taking on some degree of responsibility and/or showing some level of expertise.

Hi All

I already have done an undergrad with a low  GPA (3.16) and masters of engineering. I live in Toronto and thinking about doing another undergrad degree to increase my chance of getting admission. 
I am not sure which program I should go for. Biomedical science at Ryerson, or Kinesiology at York? Please tell me about your experience. 

I am in a hurry and that would be great if you could help me. 

Best,

Are Canadian medical schools really THAT hard to get into? I always think that people exaggerate when they say medical school is so hard to get into... get an awesome GPA + MCAT and bam you are in med school!

Assuming this wasn't a troll, the reason why they're so hard (although I fully agree with OttawaURookie's sarcasm) is because getting a near 4.0 GPA, good MCAT score and spending hundreds of hours volunteering just gets you your lottery ticket. There's no point at which anyone can say "Well I did SO well in school and on the MCAT and created that foundation to teach blind orphans fight crime at night, that I'm now guaranteed to get in!". You're not. Ever. Anywhere in Canada.

Hey all, looking for some feedback.  I know I'm going to apply to the U of C and U of A, but I'm wondering if I should even bother applying to any of the other schools in Canada (particularly those in Ontario).  I know my GPA is really low for most of my out of province choices, but I'm wondering if a highish MCAT and my graduate degree might help offset that.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alberta Resident

GPA: 3.6-3.7 GPA

MCAT: 522 on the new MCAT (CP - 131, CARS - 130, BB - 130, Psy - 131).  

I'm finishing up my PhD and had a 4.0 for my classes for this degree (although only 3 classes were required).  I have a few publications (1 first author).

Some of my major ECs:

TA - 12 semesters (6 different courses)

Soccer (organized/managed 1-2 teams and have played co-ed and ladies throughout university)

Assistant coach for a girls soccer team for the last year

Other intramural sports (field hockey, basketball, flag football)

Worked as a unit clerk at the hospital for 3 years.

Also worked in retail for the first 3 years of my undergraduate degree.

Big Sister for a year

Tutor/mentor at the Young Offenders center in Calgary for 1.5 years

2 different health clubs for the last 3 years of my undergrad

Wow that MCAT....congrats!

Saskatchewan would probably get you an interview as long as your cGPA is 83% minimum based on their conversion scale.

UofT and Ottawa are out (unless your wGPA for them is above 3.85)

Give Mac a try. Your CARS score should help a lot. For western, if your best 2 year GPA is above 3.7 you should get an interview. Just remember that as OOP you have a slim chance for Mac either way.

Queens might be a long shot with your GPA but if your last 2 year GPA is above 3.7 it's still worth an app.

Hi, I am also looking for some feedback 

I am Ontario In province student (Doing a thesis based Master's-1st year)

My cGPA is 3.745

UWO GPA 2 YR: >3.8 

U of T wGPA: 3.9

Queens: 3.745 (2YGPA is lower)

Calgary wGPA: 3.82

MCAT: Chemical/physical foundation: 128   CARs: 128   Biological: 130    Psychology/Social: 129  

ECs:  Research since 2nd year (no pubs though, but several presentations), Mentor for new students,  wide array of volunteering (senior home, rehabilitation centre, work with children, on campus volunteering, etc.... ranging from 4 months of commitment to > 2 years of commitment). Unfortunately no leadership positions in clubs. 

Which schools am I compeitive for? do you think research (Master's) can help me in terms of Ecs? thanks. 

Hi, I am also looking for some feedback 

I am Ontario In province student (Doing a thesis based Master's-1st year)

My cGPA is 3.745

UWO GPA 2 YR: >3.8 

U of T wGPA: 3.9

Queens: 3.745 (2YGPA is lower)

Calgary wGPA: 3.82

MCAT: Chemical/physical foundation: 128   CARs: 128   Biological: 130    Psychology/Social: 129  

ECs:  Research since 2nd year (no pubs though, but several presentations), Mentor for new students,  wide array of volunteering (senior home, rehabilitation centre, work with children, on campus volunteering, etc.... ranging from 4 months of commitment to > 2 years of commitment). Unfortunately no leadership positions in clubs. 

Which schools am I compeitive for? do you think research (Master's) can help me in terms of Ecs? thanks. 

Apply to Western, Mac, Queen's and U of T in Ontario - you've got a reasonable shot at an interview at each (provided you're finishing up your Master's this year, in accordance with the rules for at least some of those schools). Ottawa's almost certainly out due to GPA, unfortunately. Calgary would probably be tough due to being OOP, but I don't know enough about their process to say one way or the other on your chances there.

MCAT looks good. GPA is borderline, but on the right side of that line for a lot of schools. ECs actually look decent based on the description you've given. There's always room to improve, but they don't look like they would hold you back on their own. Publications would be nice as a bonus to your ECs, but presentations are just fine. A Master's will help with your ECs, but likely not any more than an extra year or two spent developing your ECs. Still, a Master's will be helpful at U of T, so it will be of benefit so long as you're enjoying your time in Grad School. 

Hello, also looking for feedback. Really appreciate it.

I'm an Albertan resident and I started my course based master's this summer; it will be completed next summer. I was wondering what were my chances at Albertan schools and if it was worth apply out of province.

U of A / U of C GPA: 3.75

cGPA: 3.66

U of T wGPA: 3.8 - I removed the 8 worst courses from my GPA (all courses are half year, 5 courses every year)

Best 2Y GPA: 3.74

UBC: 84% (with worst year removed) - pre-req GPA likely higher

I don't believe I meet Westerns minimum GPA 

MCAT: 515 - Chemical: 129, Cars: 129 Biological: 128, Psych/Soc: 129

I think that my activities are solid. Some weak-ish leadership, many years of volunteering at multiple organizations (food bank, geriatric hospital, cultural events, campus stuff, ect.), some work. Undergrad thesis, summer research job, 3 poster presentations (same poster), and hopefully a first authored paper submission before the application deadline. Was recently part of a Hospital's patient adviser committee for a year. Lots of smaller stuff like community soccer reffing events, student mentor, science fair judge, and so on.

Most of my work was private tutoring. I worked for my mom's business and used to bartend a bit - not sure if I should include any of this stuff.

I don't believe my master's adds any points (course based) but I got a large scholarship out of it. Not sure if this is relevant either, but 12 of my undergrad courses are 400 level classes. The previous time I applied at the U of A, I scored average for interviewee EC's - I've since added some leaderships, the patient adviser role and research presentations to my application. 

Thanks. 

Hi!

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on whether I have a shot this year. I am in a coop program so I have an extra year (going into 4th) at uoft.

I am confident in my GPA and MCAT but my ecs I feel are very weak.

Omsas: 3.89

Uoft: 3.97

Queens: 3.92

Ottawa: 3.91

MCAT: 12/11/10

Ecs:

Volunteer research in exercise lab (1sem)

research in basic science lab (1sem)

Nserc basic science (this summer and ongoing)

Research at a hospital (summer of 2013)

1 publication

Founder/exec of social outreach club

Exec of another club

Volunteer at senior home (on/off 3 years)

Scholarship/in course awards at university

And am starting to build up my ecs and volunteering in activities I am interested in for my 2016 application.

Thanks!

Hello, also looking for feedback. Really appreciate it.

I'm an Albertan resident and I started my course based master's this summer; it will be completed next summer. I was wondering what were my chances at Albertan schools and if it was worth apply out of province.

U of A / U of C GPA: 3.75

cGPA: 3.66

U of T wGPA: 3.8 - I removed the 8 worst courses from my GPA (all courses are half year, 5 courses every year)

Best 2Y GPA: 3.74

UBC: 84% (with worst year removed) - pre-req GPA likely higher

I don't believe I meet Westerns minimum GPA 

MCAT: 515 - Chemical: 129, Cars: 129 Biological: 128, Psych/Soc: 129

I think that my activities are solid. Some weak-ish leadership, many years of volunteering at multiple organizations (food bank, geriatric hospital, cultural events, campus stuff, ect.), some work. Undergrad thesis, summer research job, 3 poster presentations (same poster), and hopefully a first authored paper submission before the application deadline. Was recently part of a Hospital's patient adviser committee for a year. Lots of smaller stuff like community soccer reffing events, student mentor, science fair judge, and so on.

Most of my work was private tutoring. I worked for my mom's business and used to bartend a bit - not sure if I should include any of this stuff.

I don't believe my master's adds any points (course based) but I got a large scholarship out of it. Not sure if this is relevant either, but 12 of my undergrad courses are 400 level classes. The previous time I applied at the U of A, I scored average for interviewee EC's - I've since added some leaderships, the patient adviser role and research presentations to my application. 

Thanks. 

Western has a hard cutoff of 3.7 for their 2 year gpa. As long as each of your 2 years applicable are a 3.7 or higher you are good. They also won't be publishing their new MCAT cutoffs until February, so I can't comment on that. 

Hi!

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on whether I have a shot this year. I am in a coop program so I have an extra year (going into 4th) at uoft.

I am confident in my GPA and MCAT but my ecs I feel are very weak.

Omsas: 3.89

Uoft: 3.97

Queens: 3.92

Ottawa: 3.91

MCAT: 12/11/10

Ecs:

Volunteer research in exercise lab (1sem)

research in basic science lab (1sem)

Nserc basic science (this summer and ongoing)

Research at a hospital (summer of 2013)

1 publication

Founder/exec of social outreach club

Exec of another club

Volunteer at senior home (on/off 3 years)

Scholarship/in course awards at university

And am starting to build up my ecs and volunteering in activities I am interested in for my 2016 application.

Thanks!

I am pretty sure you meet the GPA and MCAT cutoffs for Western. If you do, then definitely include them as well.

Western has a hard cutoff of 3.7 for their 2 year gpa. As long as each of your 2 years applicable are a 3.7 or higher you are good. They also won't be publishing their new MCAT cutoffs until February, so I can't comment on that. 

I am pretty sure you meet the GPA and MCAT cutoffs for Western. If you do, then definitely include them as well.

Assuming that he got a 12 in physics and not bio, he didn't meet the cutoff.

Due to personal issues and family issues, I got a 2.55 GPA in first year. Are my chances for medicine in Canada over? I know if I work hard without all those issues I can score a 3.9+ GPA from now on.

You definitely still have a chance! There are many schools that only look at highest 2 years/recent 2 years/drop your lowest grades. So as long as you take a full course load and get 3.9+ moving forward, it should work out

I am starting my 4th year at UBC.

My stats (GPA follows the OMSAS scale):

Year 1: 3.89

Year 2: 3.99

Year 3: 3.90

Overall:

UoT GPA (3.92; can't do wGPA)

Queens 2YGPA (3.95)

uOttawa wGPA (3.93)

UBC GPA (91.5%; IP for UBC)

McMaster cGPA (3.92)

Dal cGPA (3.96)

Manitoba wGPA (4.40)

Saskatchewan GPA (91.5%)

MCAT:

PS/VR/BS: 13/8/13 (Total: 34)

Not planning to take the new MCAT this summer.

Alberta and Calgary are out because of the old MCAT. Does not meet minimum mark for Western

ECs:

2 years (~800 hrs) research experience (volunteer, work study, summer studentship; no pubs; no conference yet)

100 hrs volunteering at hospital

250 hrs volunteering at a fundraising organzation (mainly data entry)

50 hrs tutoring to students with disabilities

50 hrs volunteering for Canucks (raising money for Canucks fundraising network)

a few small leadership roles

no club exec role yet

no clinical experience (how can I get shadowing, etc.?)

Won quite a few awards and scholarships in high school and university

Please let me know how I can strengthen my application (especially non-academic I feel like) and which med schools I should be aiming for with my stats in this cycle. Thanks a lot in advance. 

Hi guys, 

May I actually have some school-specific feedback? as in like where I have a good chance and where it's a long shot.

Thanks

Hi guys, 

May I actually have some school-specific feedback? as in like where I have a good chance and where it's a long shot.

Thanks

That 8 in verbal disqualifies you from many of the schools you listed (UofT, Queens, Dal, Manitoba, ?Saskatchewan). It also makes you a bit of a long shot at Mac although it is still possible with a good enough CASPR.

Is there a reason why you're not rewriting the MCAT? That would be the best way to greatly improve your chances nationwide.

Well, my verbal is quite weak, and when I was preparing to write the MCAT, 8 was the highest that I ever got in the practice exams. So I see no point in spending another 3 months on it when I can't really improve my VR score

Well, my verbal is quite weak, and when I was preparing to write the MCAT, 8 was the highest that I ever got in the practice exams. So I see no point in spending another 3 months on it when I can't really improve my VR score

Then unfortunate reality is that you have to try your heart out for Ottawa (3.93 is admittedly on the low side) and CASPER for Mac.