Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Entering my fourth year, attending school in Alberta (qualified as in province resident).

cGPA at Alberta school is 3.94 (applying Alberta weighting formula gives me a 4.00), OMSAS cGPA (unweighted) of about 3.92.

MCAT (2015): 521 (129/132/130/130)

ECs: 9 competitive research studentships (including several I was offered, but declined). Various academic scholarships (~15 in total that were worth more than $1000)

First author publication in journal with IF of about 9, couple thousand hours of paid research experience, a few presentations at small regional symposiums and conferences

Exec on two campus clubs, volunteer manager/coordinator for Alberta branch of large non profit (been with the organization for about 8 years doing various things).

~100 hours patient care volunteering

~100 hours shadowing

~300 hours doing other various volunteering activities (mix of leadership, advocacy, educational stuff)

***the problem is that most of my volunteering and extracurriculars were only started in the past year or so.

other various activities/interests/hobbies that I may or not not list depending on if I can find verifiers for them

Have finished my apps for Alberta schools, and halfway done my OMSAS, but I'm not sure which Ontario schools I should apply to. Would also like to hear where else in Canada I might have a shot at. I'm pretty happy with my MCAT and GPA, but I think my extracurriculars are average at best (due to short duration) and might present the biggest problem getting in somewhere.

Edit: don't have all the prereqs for UBC, but should be good for everywhere else in Canada I think :S

Entering my fourth year, attending school in Alberta (qualified as in province resident).

cGPA at Alberta school is 3.94 (applying Alberta weighting formula gives me a 4.00), OMSAS cGPA (unweighted) of about 3.92.

ECs: 9 competitive research studentships (including several I was offered, but declined). Various academic scholarships (~15 in total that were worth more than $1000)

First author publication in journal with IF of about 9, couple thousand hours of paid research experience, a few presentations at small regional symposiums and conferences

Exec on two campus clubs, volunteer manager/coordinator for Alberta branch of large non profit (been with the organization for about 8 years doing various things).

~100 hours shadowing

~300 hours doing other various volunteering activities (mix of leadership, advocacy, educational stuff)

***the problem is that most of my volunteering and extracurriculars were only started in the past year or so.

other various activities/interests/hobbies that I may or not not list depending on if I can find verifiers for them

Have finished my apps for Alberta schools, and halfway done my OMSAS, but I'm not sure which Ontario schools I should apply to. Would also like to hear where else in Canada I might have a shot at. I'm pretty happy with my MCAT and GPA, but I think my extracurriculars are average at best (due to short duration) and might present the biggest problem getting in somewhere.

Edit: don't have all the prereqs for UBC, but should be good for everywhere else in Canada I think :S

what do you think your chances are, honestly?

Which schools do I have a shot at?? 

GPA 

year 1: 3.88

Year 2 & 3: 4.0

Full course load 

ECs: average or above average 

MCAT score is awful.. would want to apply somewhere where it is not required 

Ottawa

~100 hours shadowing

Dude you're competitive anywhere that you apply. Seriously, relax you're good.

what do you think your chances are, honestly?

Well, I think I have a fair chance at UAlberta, UCalgary and McMaster given my 132 CARS and in province status. However, I don't know how what my chances are at schools like U of T, Ottawa, Queens, McGill, that have extremely high average admitted GPAs and given the short term nature of many of my ECs. Would appreciate your insight.

Well, I think I have a fair chance at UAlberta, UCalgary and McMaster given my 132 CARS and in province status. However, I don't know how what my chances are at schools like U of T, Ottawa, Queens, McGill, that have extremely high average admitted GPAs and given the short term nature of many of my ECs. Would appreciate your insight.

Everyone will have some flaws on your application, and honestly the flaws you identified are non-issues and I'd be surprised if any school makes a big deal out of it despite what you've accomplished. And don't ever think that your GPA is low, it's excellent.

I dream of having had an application like yours.

Best of luck however,

- G

Dude you're competitive anywhere that you apply. Seriously, relax you're good.

Everyone will have some flaws on your application, and honestly the flaws you identified are non-issues and I'd be surprised if any school makes a big deal out of it despite what you've accomplished. And don't ever think that your GPA is low, it's excellent.

Thanks, I don't think my GPA is low, but I get really shook when I see average admitted GPAs in the mid 3.9s haha

I dream of having had an application like yours.

Best of luck however,

- G

Do you guys have suggestions for specific schools in Ontario and elsewhere I should apply to?

Apply anywhere the hell you want. Alberta schools for sure.

With a 132 cars Mac is worth applying to for sure.

Western hasn't published their cutoffs for the new mcat yet (not until february) but I would imagine that you would certainly meet them. With a 3.7+ gpa in each of your 2 best full course load years in undergrad and an mcat that meets the cutoff you are guaranteed an interview--definitely apply.

Ottawa and Toronto from what I understand love research so definitely apply.

Queen's is a bit of a black box in terms of what they look for but I would apply there if I were you as you are definitely a competitive applicant.

McGill is another option if you want (optional to release mcat scores) with a pre-interview formula of 70% gpa and 30% ECs/personal statement. I wouldn't worry about mcgill since you should have a strong shot at the ontario schools which generally do not have IP/OOP favouritism unlike McGill. Apply there if you want.

Manitoba and Saskatchewan you would probably be getting an interview from both if you apply but if you don't want to go there then don't bother applying as I'd say you're competitive enough that you don't have to apply to those schools if you can't see yourself going there.

Apply anywhere the hell you want. Alberta schools for sure.

With a 132 cars Mac is worth applying to for sure.

Western hasn't published their cutoffs for the new mcat yet (not until february) but I would imagine that you would certainly meet them. With a 3.7+ gpa in each of your 2 best full course load years in undergrad and an mcat that meets the cutoff you are guaranteed an interview--definitely apply.

Ottawa and Toronto from what I understand love research so definitely apply.

Queen's is a bit of a black box in terms of what they look for but I would apply there if I were you as you are definitely a competitive applicant.

McGill is another option if you want (optional to release mcat scores) with a pre-interview formula of 70% gpa and 30% ECs/personal statement. I wouldn't worry about mcgill since you should have a strong shot at the ontario schools which generally do not have IP/OOP favouritism unlike McGill. Apply there if you want.

Manitoba and Saskatchewan you would probably be getting an interview from both if you apply but if you don't want to go there then don't bother applying as I'd say you're competitive enough that you don't have to apply to those schools if you can't see yourself going there.

Thanks for the advice! It's pretty encouraging to see that I have options as to where I can apply.

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: haven't written it yet, will do this summer

ECs: shadowing a doctor (~50 hours), volunteering at a hospital (~200 hours), science mentor (1 year), research (~200 hours), dean's list & honour roll, entrance scholarship, award for highest cumulative average out of all undergrads at my university (1st year)

Overall, how competitive am I for med school right now, assuming I do well on the MCAT?

Are my ECs anywhere near good enough for Ontario schools? If not, what can I do to improve them?

What MCAT score would I need to be competitive for Ontario schools?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I’d like to hear what you guys think and whether I have chances in Canada/US. I am currently going into 2nd year of MASc and will be applying in 2016.

UG Major - Biology – OMSAS cGPA = 3.80, AMCAS cGPA = 3.88

1st year – 3.79 (5 full credit)

2nd year – 3.9 (5 full credit)

3rd year – 3.86 (5 full credit)

4th year – 3.6875 (4 full credit, 1 full year course cancelled) – My final year was low due to series of illnesses and financial issues

M.A.Sc. GPA – 3.95 (comprised of two evaluated courses)

MCAT – Didn’t exactly study much last few times, since I wasn’t too serious about med back then. 1st score – 24, 2nd score - 26, 3rd score - 27 (PS 11/ BS 10/ VR 6). This time, I am properly studying for MCAT to write it this January.

Academics - I have several scholarships both in undergrad and grad at university and national levels e.g. several research awards, CIHR-CGS, university fellowships, community-based leadership awards, etc all totaling to $57,000ish?

Research – This is my 6th year of research experience, and went through summer internships & thesis in 6 labs, 1 third author paper, 2 first author papers to be published next year, 16 regional/national/international conference presentations (with some awards)

EC – I think its pretty average comparing to people in this forum. 1) Held president positions at national NPOs, 2) served as chair or executive of many conferences (regional and national level), 3) founded and lead MANY school clubs, 4) tutored/mentored students, 4) helped out with biotech firm, ……MORE

Clinical/Volunteer – 1) Spent 2nd year summer of UG as clinical assistant at international clinic, 2) Canadian Cancer Society outreach team, 3) 2 years of volunteering at geriatric unit, 4) volunteered at renal dialysis unit

Question: With my current standing, what are some schools that are realistic for me to apply? (assuming that I do better for January MCAT)

Thanks everyone!

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: haven't written it yet, will do this summer

ECs: shadowing a doctor (~50 hours), volunteering at a hospital (~200 hours), science mentor (1 year), research (~200 hours), dean's list & honour roll, entrance scholarship, award for highest cumulative average out of all undergrads at my university (1st year)

Overall, how competitive am I for med school right now, assuming I do well on the MCAT?

Are my ECs anywhere near good enough for Ontario schools? If not, what can I do to improve them?

What MCAT score would I need to be competitive for Ontario schools?

Thanks!

I think your 4.0 will carry you far but you need better ECs. Do you have hobbies or anything like that? Joining student clubs or joining a sports team would help your extracurriculars, and you'll have fun while doing it. You're only in first year so you're already in very good shape, so you have lots of time to improve.

I think your 4.0 will carry you far but you need better ECs. Do you have hobbies or anything like that? Joining student clubs or joining a sports team would help your extracurriculars, and you'll have fun while doing it. You're only in first year so you're already in very good shape, so you have lots of time to improve.

Those are actually my ECs from my first two years, unfortunately. I'm not interested in joining a sports team but I have been looking at student clubs and will get involved in a couple of them this year while continuing with the research/hospital/mentoring. Do you think that would make me a lot more competitive?

Thanks for the advice, by the way.

Those are actually my ECs from my first two years, unfortunately. I'm not interested in joining a sports team but I have been looking at student clubs and ywill get involved in a couple of them this year while continuing with the research/hospital/mentoring. Do you think that would make me a lot more competitive?

Thanks for the advice, by the way.

Are you leaving out jobs by accident? Working full time during your summers can add a lot of quality experience

Hey guys, I could use some advice. I graduated from a  life science degree last year and I accepted that my goals of medical school were over after my 3rd year. I did bad in first year, better in 2nd year but then had some family problems and did bad again in 3rd year. Managed to get a 4.0 in 4th year and went straight into a second degree in business since my life science degree was no use. I initially was planning to go to SABA medical school but after hearing so many bad experiences I decided it was not worth it

I got a 4.0 in my first year (2nd degree) and plan to maintain it in 2nd year. I wrote the MCAT 2 years ago and got a 36. Do you think I have a shot at Canadian Medical schools? It's always been my dream and I don't want to give up that easily. If I get a 4.0 after second year should I consider applying to UWO? I do plan on taking the MCAT again since my VR was a 10 the first time round. Also because of all the transfer credits I'll finish after 3 years so it will technically be my last year when I apply

EC:

Volunteered in a hospital for 4 years

started a charity club at my school

taught piano to children at the community centre (I've also been playing the guitar and saxophone since I was 7)

I grew up in an African country so I spent most of my high school volunteering in orphanages there

Volunteer at my local animal shelter

1 year volunteering at a long term care facility

Really appreciate any help advice anyone here has!

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, I could use some advice. I graduated from a  life science degree last year and I accepted that my goals of medical school were over after my 3rd year. I did bad in first year, better in 2nd year but then had some family problems and did bad again in 3rd year. Managed to get a 4.0 in 4th year and went straight into a second degree in business since my life science degree was no use. I initially was planning to go to SABA medical school but after hearing so many bad experiences I decided it was not worth it

I got a 4.0 in my first year (2nd degree) and plan to maintain it in 2nd year. I wrote the MCAT 2 years ago and got a 36. Do you think I have a shot at Canadian Medical schools? It's always been my dream and I don't want to give up that easily. If I get a 4.0 after second year should I consider applying to UWO? I do plan on taking the MCAT again since my VR was a 10 the first time round. Also because of all the transfer credits I'll finish after 3 years so it will technically be my last year when I apply

EC:

Volunteered in a hospital for 4 years

started a charity club at my school

taught piano to children at the community centre (I've also been playing the guitar and saxophone since I was 7)

I grew up in an African country so I spent most of my high school volunteering in orphanages there

Volunteer at my local animal shelter

1 year volunteering at a long term care facility

Really appreciate any help advice anyone here has!

Thanks in advance!

Hello blondie, if UWO is what you are going after, I recommend checking the academic requirements as they may change annually. Overall, I think you still have a decent shot if you keep up what you are doing. Good luck!

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to see what your thoughts were, currently a third year aboriginal student.

GPA: 3.75/4.00 (Acadia University, BSc in Math)

MCAT: Will take in 2016

EC: Varsity athlete, coaching, volunteer at various events (Relay for Life, Run for the Cure, Special Olympics ect), student exchange in Australia, multiple scholarships, work experience, Grade 6 RCM piano

I have not taken prerequisite courses so I will likely be applying to schools without this as a requirement. Was thinking Queen's, Western, McMaster, NOSM, U of S, U of C and Dalhousie.

Hello asthomas44, your GPA may not be the strongest, but you do have a good shot at schools that have affirmative action policies toward aboriginal applicants if you wish to identify as an aboriginal applicant. It would also depend on your province of residence and your MCAT score next year.

Hey everyone! I am new to this thread :)

Please give me your honest thoughts ;)

Alberta resident, but applying to all canadian med schools (except for Ottawa for obvious reasons...GPA) :(

cGPA: 3.81

MCAT taken in September 2015, scores not released yet.

ECs: President of a club for 3 years, various sports, abstract publication and poster presentation, three other research experiences that are ongoing (one is a paid position), working with children with disabilities, etc etc. Most are long term activities (minimum 2 years each)

My wGPA for UofT should be around 3.97. I think my cGPA is going to ruin my application  :(  I got pretty good marks each year but there was always one course EVERY YEAR that I got B or B+ on, and that was enough to bring the GPA down.

Let me know what my chances are. Thank you in advance!

Hey everyone! I am new to this thread :)

Please give me your honest thoughts ;)

Alberta resident, but applying to all canadian med schools (except for Ottawa for obvious reasons...GPA) :(

cGPA: 3.81

MCAT taken in September 2015, scores not released yet.

ECs: President of a club for 3 years, various sports, abstract publication and poster presentation, three other research experiences that are ongoing (one is a paid position), working with children with disabilities, etc etc. Most are long term activities (minimum 2 years each)

My wGPA for UofT should be around 3.97. I think my cGPA is going to ruin my application  :(  I got pretty good marks each year but there was always one course EVERY YEAR that I got B or B+ on, and that was enough to bring the GPA down.

Let me know what my chances are. Thank you in advance!

Would honestly have a better shot at UAlberta than Ontario schools (unless you get a killer CARS mark). What would your UofA weighted GPA be? If you don't have one bad year that's dragging your GPA down, that could hurt your odds. Also, are you sure you're converting your OMSAS GPA correctly (A=3.9)? If your UofT wGPA is 3.97 that would mean you've received like 15 A+s in 30 courses (which is definitely doable, but rare seeing as a lot of classes I've taken at my Alberta university don't give out A+s). Could you expand on your other volunteering activities? At first glance it looks like you don't have a lot (unless the "etc, etc" covers a significant amount of volunteering), which could be a problem.

Would honestly have a better shot at UAlberta than Ontario schools (unless you get a killer CARS mark). What would your UofA weighted GPA be? If you don't have one bad year that's dragging your GPA down, that could hurt your odds. Also, are you sure you're converting your OMSAS GPA correctly (A=3.9)? If your UofT wGPA is 3.97 that would mean you've received like 15 A+s in 30 courses (which is definitely doable, but rare seeing as a lot of classes I've taken at my Alberta university don't give out A+s). Could you expand on your other volunteering activities? At first glance it looks like you don't have a lot (unless the "etc, etc" covers a significant amount of volunteering), which could be a problem.

Thanks for your reply!

UofT drops the lowest 6 marks for me, so yes the 3.97 is correct. All three years GPA are around 3.82. The "etc etc" includes dragon boating for 2 years, volunteering at a daycare for 4 summers, 3 awards/scholarships from my university, volunteering at 2 hospitals (one for 4 years and one for 3 years, both ongoing), black belt in martial arts, pianist,  committee chair (for a charity event) for 3 years...there should be more but i need to go through my resume to remember them.

Hey all, figured I'd give this a try. This site has generally made me feel pretty pessimistic about my chances haha, so it'd be nice to have some opinions.

GPA: 3.82 (before weighting), 87.3% (UBC)

MCAT: 517 (128/131/128/130)

ECs: President at two student clubs (only two year involvement though), two year volunteering at community peer-support service, recent volunteering at a crisis suicide line, one term exchange abroad, counsellor at a children's summer camp for 3 summers and some unique independent travel experiences (don't know if anyone cares about that). The rest is just fluff/very old experiences.

Just applied to UBC, but thinking I should probably give some OMSAS schools a shot. With my GPA, do I have a shot at UofT? What other schools would be worthwhile?

Since I never apply to UBC, so don't weight my opinion too much. Here are my thoughts.

1. I'm OOP to UBC, my chance is less than IP, you are IP at UBC, your chance is much better.

2. Compared your GPA, MCAT and ECs to people I know applied to UBC, you have good chance for interview. So does other schools in Canada and USA.

3. Definitely apply OMSAS and/or Alberta, Calgary, McGill, etc to increase your chance for interview. At least 5 schools in Ontario, forget Northern Ontario unless you are aboriginal or from Northern Ontario.

4. There's no guarantee if UofT accepted you, then other schools also will accept you. In fact most MD students in UofT rejected by one or more other MD schools.

5. I know more than twenty people applied MD schools in Canada, no one applied only one school, average 6 to 10 schools I think. I applied 6 schools each cycle, first cycle two interviews in Ontario, one waitlist, no acceptance. 2nd cycle, two interviews outside Ontario (OOP), one waitlist, one acceptance. I think if I applied 8 to 10 schools instead of 6 at first cycle, I maybe accepted at first cycle and no need to apply 2nd cycle. Just let you know, applied only one school is NOT a good idea.

Hey guys. Hoping some of you can offer any thoughts on my shot at Umanitoba for the 2016/2017 cycle. Can't seem to find much solid info on chances at getting in via the Aboriginal Pool.

AGPA: 4.00/4.50

Operative MCAT: 9.15

Just finished general science degree with micro focus and did a summer of bio-research via an NSERC award.

About 2 years of hospital volunteering (wards, emergency, surgery).

Applying as IP with very high rurality coefficient. Plan on hopefully returning back home up north to work in rural setting. I also fit some criteria for the new socioeconomic diversity multiplier.

Worked for a private contract EMS company as a primary care paramedic all over northern rural Manitoba and Winnipeg for a year.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks!