Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Some feedback on my situation would be awesome!

Undergrad GPA: ~3.45 (not the greatest, but I believe my 2 best years were around 3.7-3.8)

Masters GPA: 3.92 (does this actually count for anything though?)

Undergrad in life sci, masters in physiotherapy. I've been working as a physio since (not sure if that means much). I haven't taken the mcat yet, its something that I plan on studying for over the coming months (need to brush up from my undergrad!). I'm fairly confident that that I can do well on the mcat though.

What complicates things is that I didn't take a full course load all throughout my undergrad (eg 5 courses in fall semester, 4 courses in winter semester, 1 course in the summer kind of thing). I'm not sure what kind of impact this has.

In terms of ECs/Volunteer experiences, most are very very old (back in my undergrad days). The most recent is ~2012. Some of those experiences include: hospital fitness programs, volunteering in cardiac and spinal cord rehab, big brothers and big sisters, habitat for humanity. Outside of that I was a part of sports clubs, started small, local business with some buddies one summer. Nothing too exciting or spectacular. I've been really busy with work, but I'm planning on volunteering with big brothers and big sisters again to give back to kids that need it.

My references letters should be amazing - I've known the referees for many years, and they're all jumping at the chance to help me if they can.

With all that being said, do I have a realistic shot? Or do I need to go back and do more undergrad in order to have even a sliver of a chance?

Thanks!

What is your province of origin? You could have alright odds at your in-province school(s) especially if you do very well on the MCAT. The only school that gives credit for your grad GPA is U of C (to my knowledge). If you have rural roots you might get a leg up at somewhere like NOSM, and they'll give you bonus points for having a grad degree (like a few schools). Queens may look at your application even if you don't have the requisite GPA since you do have a grad degree.

What is your province of origin? You could have alright odds at your in-province school(s) especially if you do very well on the MCAT. The only school that gives credit for your grad GPA is U of C (to my knowledge). If you have rural roots you might get a leg up at somewhere like NOSM, and they'll give you bonus points for having a grad degree (like a few schools). Queens may look at your application even if you don't have the requisite GPA since you do have a grad degree.

I'm originally from Ontario, but I'm contemplating moving to BC to work for a couple years, so I may be inprovince in BC depending on their residency requirements.

I'm originally from Ontario, but I'm contemplating moving to BC to work for a couple years, so I may be inprovince in BC depending on their residency requirements.

Ontario probably helps you the least with respect to IP schools. Ottawa and U of T generally require a pretty high GPA, and don't protect seats for Ontario residents iirc. Western has very specific course level requirements which you might not qualify for, and they only have certain regions in South West Ontario that count as "SWOMEN" or IP. NOSM has a very strong focus on rural applicants. Queens is harder to figure, but there is no IP protection and they receive the most applications per seat in Canada. McMaster has protected Ontario seats, but in general either a high GPA or really good CARS score will have to be paired with an excellent CASPER showing to get an interview. Queens has the most applicants per seat, but McMaster has the most applicants overall.

BC is very competitive too, and puts a lot of weight on GPA. My impression is that BC is a tough place for non-traditional applicants to break into. Even a top tier MCAT won't improve your odds because iirc BC just has cut offs (which are fairly low).

You'll need to see what your weighted GPA is for each of the schools and write the MCAT before you'll really know where you stand a chance.

Ontario probably helps you the least with respect to IP schools. Ottawa and U of T generally require a pretty high GPA, and don't protect seats for Ontario residents iirc. Western has very specific course level requirements which you might not qualify for, and they only have certain regions in South West Ontario that count as "SWOMEN" or IP. NOSM has a very strong focus on rural applicants. Queens is harder to figure, but there is no IP protection and they receive the most applications per seat in Canada. McMaster has protected Ontario seats, but in general either a high GPA or really good CARS score will have to be paired with an excellent CASPER showing to get an interview. Queens has the most applicants per seat, but McMaster has the most applicants overall.

BC is very competitive too, and puts a lot of weight on GPA. My impression is that BC is a tough place for non-traditional applicants to break into. Even a top tier MCAT won't improve your odds because iirc BC just has cut offs (which are fairly low).

You'll need to see what your weighted GPA is for each of the schools and write the MCAT before you'll really know where you stand a chance.

Actually UBC weighs GPA less than most schools. 50%gpa. 50%ecs

I was reading UBCs website and it seems they calculate a percentage rather than a gpa score. Do you know how they view a school that has both percentages and gpa? Eg a 98% at UofT is an A+ and 4.0. Do they convert the A+ to their own scale using, or just use the 92%?

Also any idea if they care if you have a masters degree or factor that into their gpa calculation at all?

I was reading UBCs website and it seems they calculate a percentage rather than a gpa score. Do you know how they view a school that has both percentages and gpa? Eg a 98% at UofT is an A+ and 4.0. Do they convert the A+ to their own scale using, or just use the 92%?

Also any idea if they care if you have a masters degree or factor that into their gpa calculation at all?

Never applied to UBC, so I invite anyone else to chime in. My guess is that they use a scale to convert the letter grades, but take the percentage grades as is. I don't know what they do with grad degrees. I didn't see anything specific, but it does look like they'll look at grad marks??

Hey guys, I wanted some suggestions on where I should be applying and whether I should do a Master's or a special year (please see reasons below): 

1st year: 3.20 

2nd year: 3.00 

3rd year: 3.80 

4th year: 3.96

5th year (currently in it now): 3.98 

UofT wGPA: 3.79

Ottawa: 3.94*** please see below

Mac: 3.61 

Best two years: 3.96, 3.98

MCAT: Have yet to write

ECs: I have a lot of ECs: exec of a few clubs, volunteering over seas, etc. 

Research experience: 1 first author publication, a few poster presentations. 2 years of research experience overall. 

***My concern is that in my third year, I took a semester off due to a mental illness. So, one of my terms was during the summer. For this reason, Ottawa will NOT count my third year in my wGPA calculation (theyre gonna include year 2). This brings my wGPA to 3.82. I already confirmed this by emailing them. 

My concerns: 

Should I do yet another year of undergrad, so that I can apply for Ottawa (and even increase my cGPA)? Or should I do a thesis-based Master's? I like research so this is definitely an option. 

Writing the MCAT this summer...

GPA is fine so no need for an extra undergrad/Master's. It seems like you'd be happy doing research so maybe you should figure out if medicine is what you really want to do. If you're sure on medicine then apply everywhere. Cutoff for uOttawa has been 3.85 for those in the Ontario pool for the last 3 years or so but not applying would be silly when you're that close and really just need to dish out another 100 bucks or so and click a few boxes as this cutoff can easily drop. 

Hi I was rejected this cycle at all Ontario medical schools and Manitoba, I was wondering what my chances are next year. I am currently completing my Master's degree, will that benefit me greatly for any schools (UofT/Mac)?

Year 1: 3.78

Year 2: 3.88

Year 3: 3.88

Year 4: 3.95

cGPA: 3.87

UofT: 3.94

Mac: 3.87

Ottawa: 3.93

Western: 3.88 & 3.95 (2 best years)

MCAT: 505 (127 PS/125 CARS/128 BBS/125 Psych&Soc)

ECs: Very diverse and a lot of long-commitment ones (shadowed/interned with a cardiologist, coordinator for faculty student society, worked in a few lab as a research assistant, several employment opportunities on campus with promotions to superior roles in many, executive member on several clubs being president on 3 different clubs, dancer, volunteering for the hospital, volunteering for many positions on campus, valedictorian of my class, played a sport at the varsity level, involved in clinical trial research, awarded scholarship for research during my master's, tutor during undergrad, camp counsellor).

Currently completing research in regenerative cartilage medicine, should be completed by June 2017.

I have a few acceptances to Irish medical schools, but I think I want to complete my Master's and apply to American MD schools & Canadian schools again. I am also planning on re-writing the MCAT. What does everyone think, should I just head out to Ireland or complete my Master's and apply again. I am getting to a stage where I just want to move onto the next chapter of my life and it's very tempting to head abroad as the stats from many Irish schools looking promising.

Thank you in advance for your advice/support/guidance! I really appreciate it! :D

Hi I was rejected this cycle at all Ontario medical schools and Manitoba, I was wondering what my chances are next year. I am currently completing my Master's degree, will that benefit me greatly for any schools (UofT/Mac)?

Year 1: 3.78

Year 2: 3.88

Year 3: 3.88

Year 4: 3.95

cGPA: 3.87

UofT: 3.94

Mac: 3.87

Ottawa: 3.93

Western: 3.88 & 3.95 (2 best years)

MCAT: 505 (127 PS/125 CARS/128 BBS/125 Psych&Soc)

ECs: Very diverse and a lot of long-commitment ones (shadowed/interned with a cardiologist, coordinator for faculty student society, worked in a few lab as a research assistant, several employment opportunities on campus with promotions to superior roles in many, executive member on several clubs being president on 3 different clubs, dancer, volunteering for the hospital, volunteering for many positions on campus, valedictorian of my class, played a sport at the varsity level, involved in clinical trial research, awarded scholarship for research during my master's, tutor during undergrad, camp counsellor).

Currently completing research in regenerative cartilage medicine, should be completed by June 2017.

I have a few acceptances to Irish medical schools, but I think I want to complete my Master's and apply to American MD schools & Canadian schools again. I am also planning on re-writing the MCAT. What does everyone think, should I just head out to Ireland or complete my Master's and apply again. I am getting to a stage where I just want to move onto the next chapter of my life and it's very tempting to head abroad as the stats from many Irish schools looking promising.

Thank you in advance for your advice/support/guidance! I really appreciate it! :D

Do not go abroad. There is an extremely high chance you will not be able to practice medicine in Canada if you do so. It appears that the only thing that is holding you back is your MCAT. Be patient. The road to getting into medical school is a marathon, not a sprint and you're almost there. Other than your MCAT, perhaps look at ways you can phrase your apps better next year.Good luck.

Do not go abroad. There is an extremely high chance you will not be able to practice medicine in Canada if you do so. It appears that the only thing that is holding you back is your MCAT. Be patient. The road to getting into medical school is a marathon, not a sprint and you're almost there. Other than your MCAT, perhaps look at ways you can phrase your apps better next year.Good luck.

Hi, I know there is a lot of stigma with going abroad and the chances of coming back are not as great as being a CMG. But I have written the MCAT 3 times and have had minimal improvement. I am hoping that this summer when I write it that my score improves, I am really going to study very hard this time. However, I feel that the Canadian system is so flawed. I have a higher gpa and extracurriculars than so many of my colleagues that got interviews, especially at places like UofT where my MCAT meets the threshold (I even had an english major, current UofT MD student, and several peers read my essays). 

It's getting stressful and I know of several individuals in Ireland that have been able to match back into Canada & the States for competitive specialities like Gen. Surg, Paeds, Urology, Anaesthesiology, etc.

Do you think completing my master's next year will have a significant benefit to my application? Hopefully my MCAT score is a little higher and balanced after re-writing but there's no guarantees. Last year when I wrote it I studied for 3 months, this year I will be studying for 2-3 months while doing research for my master's. 

Hi, I know there is a lot of stigma with going abroad and the chances of coming back are not as great as being a CMG. But I have written the MCAT 3 times and have had minimal improvement. I am hoping that this summer when I write it that my score improves, I am really going to study very hard this time. However, I feel that the Canadian system is so flawed. I have a higher gpa and extracurriculars than so many of my colleagues that got interviews, especially at places like UofT where my MCAT meets the threshold (I even had an english major, current UofT MD student, and several peers read my essays). 

It's getting stressful and I know of several individuals in Ireland that have been able to match back into Canada & the States for competitive specialities like Gen. Surg, Paeds, Urology, Anaesthesiology, etc.

Do you think completing my master's next year will have a significant benefit to my application? Hopefully my MCAT score is a little higher and balanced after re-writing but there's no guarantees. Last year when I wrote it I studied for 3 months, this year I will be studying for 2-3 months while doing research for my master's. 

No, completing a master's will not help you significantly. If your extracurriculars are as good as you say (I didn't bother reading through them) then I think you should consider phrasing your application better. You need to frame your ec's in a way that appeals to the med schools. Yes, Canadian medical school admissions are flawed and I understand your frustration as I personally wrote the MCAT 3 times and was unsuccessful last cycle, however, if you realistically want to practice medicine in Canada, I strongly suggest against going abroad. There is a stigma for a reason. Doesn't it seem a little too good to be true that you could go study somewhere with substantially lower stats and realistically stand a chance of getting back into Canada? And that's assuming that everything stays the same. From recent data, it is clear that gaining admissions is becoming more and more competitive because of increasing numbers. Well guess what. The number of people going abroad is also increasing as well. And what if the number of IMG spots available decreases in the future? It's clear that funding is not moving in the direction of increasing the total number of residency positions. In fact, some could argue that they may decrease them and I would argue that if they do so, they are going to cut IMG positions before CMG positions. This is all speculation, however, with the current climate it appears that it is more likely than the situation remaining the same or getting better for IMGs. I understand that there are people who are able to attain competitive residencies and come back, but you really need to look at the perspective. What is the rate of IMGs matching to Canada? Have a look at CaRMS match rates. People can claim many things but this is only anecdotal evidence. You really need to evaluate the bigger picture. If you're not able to attain a competitive score on 1 standardized exam, what makes you think that you'll be able to beat out all of those other IMGs for a residency position? My advice to you is to really change the way you study for the MCAT. Learn why you did poorly and work on it. Maybe you need outside help? Maybe a tutor or a prep course? And most of all, work on how you present yourself in your application. Interview invitations are not shear luck. There is a reason why the people who get invited do compared to others. If you still decide you want to go ahead and go abroad, then go right ahead. I wish you luck but just make sure that you are completely informed and understand what you are getting yourself into (there are risks which I have not discussed).   

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm currently a third year UG in Ontario and I was rejected pre-interview to all the Ontario schools I applied to. I would like to apply to American medical schools and out-of-province schools this cycle, but I would prefer finding something in Canada closer to home. I signed up for an August MCAT rewrite in order to get a better CARS score to maximize my chances in Canada, but rewriting the MCAT may delay my American application.

So my question is, are my chances good enough in Canada that I can risk sending a delayed application to the states because of a late MCAT rewrite? Also, my current MCAT score isn't terrible, which is why I'm still iffy on if I should rewrite or not. There are so many options here right now that I'm not sure what to do, since everything seems like a gamble.

Year 1: 3.82

Year 2: 3.69 

Year 3: 3.92 (hopefully)

Projected cGPA: 3.81

Projected Toronto wGPA: 3.92

MCAT (PS/CARS/BS/PSYCH): 131/127/130/128

Extracurrics: Decent/average? Lots of long-term volunteer/work at health centers, volunteering with children, submissions to art exhibitions, work as a residence don for a year. Starting research this July in preparation for a thesis.

Hi there everyone, I am from Queen's University looking to apply to the Ontario schools accepting 3rd year applicants (Queen's, UT, McMaster, Ottawa) next cycle. Possibly will also be applying OOP to Manitoba.

Year: 2nd (Science and Music)
cGPA: 3.89 
MCAT: Taking this summer after Kaplan summer intensive at Boston University

Research: 2 first author cited publications with the ACM and IEEE; one was independent and the other sponsored by the NSERC USRA. Topics include transportation engineering and eHealth technology. 3rd paper likely published end of year. Was also invited to review submissions for publication in the SIMPAT 2016 journal.

Volunteering (clinical): None.

Volunteering (non-clinical): Founder and National Director of a registered charitable organization; provided 578 children since 2010 get access to free music education. Organization was given a TD Canada community service merit award in 2014.

• Additionally, am on a board of directors for a Ontario Trillium Foundation sponsored charity engaging youth in extracurricular arts, science, politics. Yearly budget and expenditure is approx. ~ $450000.
  • Let's Talk Science Challenge 2015 - 2016 coordinator in Kingston Ontario.

ECs: ARCT diploma in piano performance, award winning composer of concert orchestral works (live premieres from the the Dundas Valley Orchestra, Ottawa Youth Orchestra, and honourable mention from the Toronto Symphony Association).

Employment: Founder and Chief Composer of a decently known music and arts production company for film/video game soundtracks; yearly personal revenue approx. ~$10000.

Speciality interest: Public health and eHealth, MD/PhD degree

Shadowing experience: Mentored by Queen's University medical student for 25 hours across a semester.

Graduate degrees: None.

Thank you!

Hi there everyone, I am from Queen's University looking to apply to the Ontario schools accepting 3rd year applicants (Queen's, UT, McMaster, Ottawa) next cycle. Possibly will also be applying OOP to Manitoba.

Year: 2nd (Science and Music)

cGPA: 3.89 

MCAT: Taking this summer after Kaplan summer intensive at Boston University

Research: 2 first author cited publications with the ACM and IEEE; one was independent and the other sponsored by the NSERC USRA. Topics include transportation engineering and eHealth technology. 3rd paper likely published end of year. Was also invited to review submissions for publication in the SIMPAT 2016 journal.

Volunteering (clinical): None.

Volunteering (non-clinical): Founder and National Director of a registered charitable organization; provided 578 children since 2010 get access to free music education. Organization was given a TD Canada community service merit award in 2014.

• Additionally, am on a board of directors for a Ontario Trillium Foundation sponsored charity engaging youth in extracurricular arts, science, politics. Yearly budget and expenditure is approx. ~ $450000.
  • Let's Talk Science Challenge 2015 - 2016 coordinator in Kingston Ontario.

ECs: ARCT diploma in piano performance, award winning composer of concert orchestral works (live premieres from the the Dundas Valley Orchestra, Ottawa Youth Orchestra, and honourable mention from the Toronto Symphony Association).

Employment: Founder and Chief Composer of a decently known music and arts production company for film/video game soundtracks; yearly personal revenue approx. ~$10000.

Speciality interest: Public health and eHealth, MD/PhD degree

Shadowing experience: Mentored by Queen's University medical student for 25 hours across a semester.

Graduate degrees: None.

Thank you!

cGPA is a bit low for 3rd year applicant but with a great MCAT you may have a chance. Assuming your MCAT is decent, you'll be a great 4th year applicant next year.

UofT Student, looking to apply anywhere and everywhere I can (in Can/US) would appreciate some direction

Year: 4th (included prospective 5th year GPA)
cGPA: 3.0/3.0/4.0/4.0/4.0(practically guaranteed), cGPA:3.6, 2Y/3YGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 12/12/10: 34

Research: Worked in a research lab (1 year) no pubs

Volunteering (clinical):hospital volunteering (300 hours, spread between 2 locations)

Volunteering (non-clinical): Too many to list

ECs: Executive of many clubs throughout my undergraduate years, tutor, BBBS Toronto

Employment: Couple of summer jobs (amusement park and Lowes), and I work independently as a photographer, primarily in charity events and for clubs across campus

interest: M.D.

Shadowing experience: 200+ hours with a cardiologist overlooking invasive procedures, and 100 hours with a technician. 

Graduate degrees: None.

UofT Student, looking to apply anywhere and everywhere I can (in Can/US) would appreciate some direction

Volunteering (clinical):hospital volunteering (300 hours, spread between 2 locations)

ECs: Executive of many clubs throughout my undergraduate years, tutor, BBBS Toronto

Employment: Couple of summer jobs (amusement park and Lowes), and I work independently as a photographer, primarily in charity events and for clubs across campus

Shadowing experience: 200+ hours with a cardiologist overlooking invasive procedures, and 100 hours with a technician. 

Re-write the MCAT maybe? If you could get a high CARS score, you could apply to Western. Unless the Bio cutoff is a 10 now? 

There is also Queen's, and Ottawa with a 5th year. 

Toronto might be a tough one, but you could also apply out of province maybe (i.e. Calgary)since you  meet the 11VR. You'd need a 5th year for that though, I think 

Re-write the MCAT maybe? If you could get a high CARS score, you could apply to Western. Unless the Bio cutoff is a 10 now? 

There is also Queen's, and Ottawa with a 5th year. 

Toronto might be a tough one, but you could also apply out of province maybe (i.e. Calgary)since you  meet the 11VR. You'd need a 5th year for that though, I think 

No need to rewrite the MCAT (I'm assuming that the 10 is in bio). Western's cutoffs this year were 10/11/10. Your MCAT score will not hold you back from getting into any school. Pretty much I'd apply everywhere with those stats assuming that you meet all of the course requirements and such. Just continue working on your ECs and you should be fine. 

No need to rewrite the MCAT (I'm assuming that the 10 is in bio). Western's cutoffs this year were 10/11/10. Your MCAT score will not hold you back from getting into any school. Pretty much I'd apply everywhere with those stats assuming that you meet all of the course requirements and such. Just continue working on your ECs and you should be fine. 

Unfortunately the 10 is in verbal, I must have ordered the numbers incorrectly

Unfortunately the 10 is in verbal, I must have ordered the numbers incorrectly

I personally wouldn't retake the MCAT but that would probably knock out a few schools in Canada. You could go and redo the MCAT but I believe because the old MCAT pool is becoming smaller and smaller each year, that your score will probably be good enough to not prevent you from getting in. With all of this said, still your decision and whether you feel studying for the new one is worth it for you to include the other few schools. Good luck.