Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Alberta resident. Is it worth writing the MCAT?

year 1 - 2.94

year 2 - 3.46

year 3 - 3.68

year 4 - 3.91 

year 5 - 3.70 

Currently in 2nd year of Masters thesis. GPA at 4.0. 
Thanks!

Depends on your ECs but I would say definitely write it. 

Hi, I'm a third year science student at the moment

GPA:

Year 1: 3.1

Year 2: 4.0

Year 3: 4.0

ECs:

- Shadowed doctor during summer and breaks for the last 2 years (~200 hours)

- Student research position at regional hospital (no publication, but made a poster)

- Organized conference of Nurses and Doctors to remodel a hospital department to improve patient experience and efficiency

- Interning at an emergency department for 3 years and still going

- Interned abroad with a surgeon at a hospital in Asia

- Various summer-long volunteering positions

- Part of university dance team for 3 years, multiple performances

My first year was very rough, as I didn't know exactly what I was getting into. But I managed to get in the pace of things 2nd and 3rd year, and pulled a 4.0 in the most recent 2 years. My EC's are pretty weak right now  I think. How do you suggest I improve it? And should I consider taking the MCAT next year?

Hi, I'm a third year science student at the moment

GPA:

Year 1: 3.1

Year 2: 4.0

Year 3: 4.0

ECs:

- Shadowed doctor during summer and breaks for the last 2 years (~200 hours)

- Student research position at regional hospital (no publication, but made a poster)

- Organized conference of Nurses and Doctors to remodel a hospital department to improve patient experience and efficiency

- Interning at an emergency department for 3 years and still going

- Interned abroad with a surgeon at a hospital in Asia

- Various summer-long volunteering positions

- Part of university dance team for 3 years, multiple performances

My first year was very rough, as I didn't know exactly what I was getting into. But I managed to get in the pace of things 2nd and 3rd year, and pulled a 4.0 in the most recent 2 years. My EC's are pretty weak right now  I think. How do you suggest I improve it? And should I consider taking the MCAT next year?

Yes. Take the MCAT. 

Even in Ontario, 2-3 solid years of grade (i.e. 3.95+) is enough for everywhere but Mac generally. Plenty of people, myself included, get in with low first years. If you're going to have a rough year, make it your first! 

Just try and do as much as you can for ECs, 'what' doesn't really matter. You are in good shape, really :)

I'm wondering if it's worth it to write the new MCAT and apply this upcoming cycle. I will need a 5th year to finish my degree no matter what (will be starting 4th year this fall), which is fine as I know my GPA is on the low side anyway. Would I have a shot anywhere with a good MCAT and strong reference letters, or would it be better to apply after 4th year?

cGPA: 3.64
2yGPA: 3.805 (3.66 and 3.95)
U of T GPA: 3.86

I think my ECs are average-decent: musician, long-term employment, previous exec of 2 clubs and current cofounder/president of 2 others, mental health advocacy, hospital volunteering, intramural sports, several awards/scholarships, special olympics, 1700 research hours (2 posters, 2 oral conference presentations, no pubs)

Back again with the last of my GPA, hoping for a more low-key evaluation than last time:

IP: For rural, slightly northern Ontario (I was rejected from Northern pre-interview last cycle....)

cGPA 3.74
wGPA 3.88
aGPA 3.79
UBC OGPA: 85.78% 
AGPA UBC: 86.5%
UBC Pre-req: 86.8%
AMSCAS 3.78

First year: 3.72 (3.68 fall, 3.76 winter) 
Second year: 3.62 (3.38, 3.86)
Third year: 3.8 (3.78, 3.84) 
Fourth Year: 3.83 (3.72, 3.94) 

My first two MCATs were abysmal: 

55% percentile - 26 with distribution 10/7/9
then 49% - 25 with distribution 10/8/7

Newest MCAT:
509 (80th percentile): 126/126/128/129

My ECs:
-Campus Club founder and president.
-Response Team executive for three year, volunteer for first year.
-Orientation leader three times.
-Shadowing experience in surgery with orthopaedic and general surgeons.
-Volunteer at a doctor's office (really, just secretarial work and some extra shadowing).
-Volunteer at a nuclear lab (but really, just more shadowing).
-Volunteer at a nursing home (life enrichment and programming).
-Tons of intramurals, and gym use.

Research
-One directed study, no pubs. 
-Thesis this year, writing manuscript for pubs.
-Was promised a summer research project (a meta-analysis) with my name as second author (really excited about this)

I know I have been very close-minded in the past. I am very open minded to anything right now, including IMG status and for sure Can MD or AM-MD or DO if that is still even possible. Also looking for advice forward if possible to improve chances, and any regards to my chances if I am successful in achieving such advice. Thanks!

Back again with the last of my GPA, hoping for a more low-key evaluation than last time:

IP: For rural, slightly northern Ontario (I was rejected from Northern pre-interview last cycle....)

cGPA 3.74
wGPA 3.88
aGPA 3.79
UBC OGPA: 85.78% 
AGPA UBC: 86.5%
UBC Pre-req: 86.8%
AMSCAS 3.78

First year: 3.72 (3.68 fall, 3.76 winter) 
Second year: 3.62 (3.38, 3.86)
Third year: 3.8 (3.78, 3.84) 
Fourth Year: 3.83 (3.72, 3.94) 

My first two MCATs were abysmal: 

55% percentile - 26 with distribution 10/7/9
then 49% - 25 with distribution 10/8/7

Newest MCAT:
509 (80th percentile): 126/126/128/129

My ECs:
-Campus Club founder and president.
-Response Team executive for three year, volunteer for first year.
-Orientation leader three times.
-Shadowing experience in surgery with orthopaedic and general surgeons.
-Volunteer at a doctor's office (really, just secretarial work and some extra shadowing).
-Volunteer at a nuclear lab (but really, just more shadowing).
-Volunteer at a nursing home (life enrichment and programming).
-Tons of intramurals, and gym use.

Research
-One directed study, no pubs. 
-Thesis this year, writing manuscript for pubs.
-Was promised a summer research project (a meta-analysis) with my name as second author (really excited about this)

I know I have been very close-minded in the past. I am very open minded to anything right now, including IMG status and for sure Can MD or AM-MD or DO if that is still even possible. Also looking for advice forward if possible to improve chances, and any regards to my chances if I am successful in achieving such advice. Thanks!

As far as Canadian schools you're really just looking at Queen's and Mac. Maybe UBC but I'm not sure what their OOP gpa cutoffs are. U of T would be a stretch with the wGPA being where it is but if you have really strong ECs, LORs and essays then it may be possible. You might get an interview out of all of these schools--there's a chance but it's not particularly great, can only apply and hope for the best.

You'd probably be a shoe-in for USDO assuming you have sufficient shadowing experience and maybe lower-tier, very Canadian friendly USMD somewhere but I am not knowledgeable there.

Your ECs look decent but your GPA and MCAT are both on the lower end which is what is holding you back.

Your best move would be to apply in the upcoming cycle to those schools listed above and see what happens, but also do a 5th and maybe 6th year with 4.0s and re-take the MCAT and ace it.

But seeing your GPA and MCAT trends doesn't make a 4.0 or acing the MCAT look particularly likely or appealing from your POV--having already completed 4 UG years and 3 MCATs.

I'll end with this: apply to a few Canadian schools, USDO and maybe some USMD next cycle and see what happens.

Hello All, I am a resident of Ontario.

My overall GPA is 3.93, should be around 3.95 with Ottawa's formula.
My MCAT is 514 (128/126/130/130) in the order of (Bio + Phys / CARS / Bio + Chem / Psych + Soc).
My extracurriculars are:
volunteer homework helper for high school students for 2 months (~20 hours)
paid fundraiser (call center employee) at my university for 4 months (~100 hours)
volunteer peer mentor (counseling with emotional/personal problems) at my university for 2 terms (~50 hours)
crisis hotline worker over the internet for a year (~100 hours)
neuroscience club president for a semester, executive for two other semesters (~50 hours)
Shadowing/clinical experience for 2 months at a large South Korean hospital (~200 hours)
Research experience and a poster presentation with a doctor at this hospital, although I all I did is edit and translate the doctor's English (unsure if this counts as research; my name is on the poster)
Research under a psychology prof over the summer (~600 hours)
Another poster presentation, where I do contribute a little bit, about bioinformatics.
Around 7000 dollars in scholarships
(So for all of my "research", I played more of an assistant role instead of a key role; and most of my ECs do not last over a few months)

Honestly, what do you think my chances are? And I would really appreciate any suggestions about where to apply OOP (there are such little spots for OOP's that it doesn't seem worth the effort).

Hey all, I am a resident of Ontario attending Queen's

I have completed 2 years of UG, my OMSAS GPA is 3.90

I have yet to write my MCAT (writing at the end of the summer after kaplan course)

I have a first author pub and a stellar recommendation letter from a very reputable University of Toronto researcher.

My extracurriculars are:

- position in student government.

- volunteer for 2 years at Kingston General Hospital

- volunteered for 7 years at Mount Sinai Hospital

- Executive administrator at a healthcare outreach club

- assortment of other club executives and sports stuff from the last few years...

don't know if this counts, but I was a camp counsellor for many years.

Considering my relatively low GPA, in the event that my MCAT goes well, do I even have a chance applying after second year?

Hello all! Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm a BC resident that just finished 5th year. 

Took the MCAT in 2014 with a 10/10/10

Thinking of retaking it this summer. 

Lots of varied EC's including long term volunteering, publication, club exec/involvement, part-time job, community award. 

GPAs not including summer semesters: (on a 4.33 scale)

1st: 2.62

2nd: 3.11

3rd: 2.92

4th: 3.82

5th: 4.04

I think my best bet is Queens and UBC (because in province). My wGPA (last 2 years) for Queens using the OMSAS conversion is 3.83.

So by retaking the MCAT I'd have a pretty good chance for Queens?

I think other schools would be out of the question like Western bc I didn't take a full course load (only 4 courses/semester) 

I'm in the same situation as you... I think due to the lack of full course load your only other option would be Mac, if you re write the mcat and kill the verbal section. Though Mac only reserves ~10 seats for OP I think

Hello all! Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm a BC resident that just finished 5th year.

Took the MCAT in 2014 with a 10/10/10

Thinking of retaking it this summer.

Lots of varied EC's including long term volunteering, publication, club exec/involvement, part-time job, community award.

GPAs not including summer semesters: (on a 4.33 scale)

1st: 2.62

2nd: 3.11

3rd: 2.92

4th: 3.82

5th: 4.04

I think my best bet is Queens and UBC (because in province). My wGPA (last 2 years) for Queens using the OMSAS conversion is 3.83.

So by retaking the MCAT I'd have a pretty good chance for Queens?

I think other schools would be out of the question like Western bc I didn't take a full course load (only 4 courses/semester)

So I'd like to know my chances as well as what I could work on with my EC's. I feel some hands on work with people outside of my peers and/or involving high stress situations is what I'm low on but I'd like to hear some feedback. Thanks in advance!

GPA: 4.12/4.33 (translates to 3.97 for UoT with weighing, 90.5% for UBC without weighing, or 3.94 AMCAS) - I'd say translates to about 3.9 on most scales

MCAT: 518 (131/128/131/128)

EC's:

- 1 year volunteer research, 1 poster, current summer on USRA, pubs to come soon but not in time for this cycle

- 1-2 years each of philanthropy involvement with Canadian cancer and 2 school clubs (some of which I am exec on and founded)

- 10+ years of soccer and dance involvement through my youth

- 2-3 years of coaching soccer and dance

- 2 years of multicultural advocacy, education, and celebration with a south asian cultural organization

- 2 years of leadership/council involvement in highschool

- 2 years with local food bank as a regular, 1 year working with kids with Autism (in a non medical setting), 1 year volunteering in hospital ICU and shadowing doctors

- Retail job for 2 years in high school

- A few more scholarships for academic/leadership achievements totaling about $16000

(I just finished my 3rd year of UG btw, should graduate next spring)

Hello,

I am a Quebec registered nurse who went back to school in autumn 2015 to do my bachelor degree within 2 years (about 90 credits for two years), I worked in postpartum for a year.  I am doing my bachelor at UdeM, my GPA is 3.4 after the first year. I would like to apply to McGill University. I am very determined to follow my dreams. What do you think my chances are? 

P.S.: I do a lot of volunteer with children, and I have a little daughter myself. This summer I will most likely shadow physicians in a clinical setting.

Thank you.

​You definitely have a shot. Your ECs/volunteering look fine, you have CanMEDS competencies, just continue to follow your interests. Good luck.

So I'd like to know my chances as well as what I could work on with my EC's. I feel some hands on work with people outside of my peers and/or involving high stress situations is what I'm low on but I'd like to hear some feedback. Thanks in advance!

GPA: 4.12/4.33 (translates to 3.97 for UoT with weighing, 90.5% for UBC without weighing, or 3.94 AMCAS) - I'd say translates to about 3.9 on most scales

MCAT: 518 (131/128/131/128)

EC's:

- 1 year volunteer research, 1 poster, current summer on USRA, pubs to come soon but not in time for this cycle

- 1-2 years each of philanthropy involvement with Canadian cancer and 2 school clubs (some of which I am exec on and founded)

- 10+ years of soccer and dance involvement through my youth

- 2-3 years of coaching soccer and dance

- 2 years of multicultural advocacy, education, and celebration with a south asian cultural organization

- 2 years of leadership/council involvement in highschool

- 2 years with local food bank as a regular, 1 year working with kids with Autism (in a non medical setting), 1 year volunteering in hospital ICU and shadowing doctors

- Retail job for 2 years in high school

- A few more scholarships for academic/leadership achievements totaling about $16000

(I just finished my 3rd year of UG btw, should graduate next spring)

Hello,

I am a Quebec registered nurse who went back to school in autumn 2015 to do my bachelor degree within 2 years (about 90 credits for two years), I worked in postpartum for a year.  I am doing my bachelor at UdeM, my GPA is 3.4 after the first year. I would like to apply to McGill University. I am very determined to follow my dreams. What do you think my chances are? 

P.S.: I do a lot of volunteer with children, and I have a little daughter myself. This summer I will most likely shadow physicians in a clinical setting.

Thank you.

I think your GPA is on the low side, ideally it should be 3.5 or higher, however, your nursing may well help. Do a great job with your CVPN! McGill seems to be somewhat subjective, so your writings need to stand out and get the attention of the readers. Good luck.

I think your GPA is on the low side, ideally it should be 3.5 or higher, however, your nursing may well help. Do a great job with your CVPN! McGill seems to be somewhat subjective, so your writings need to stand out and get the attention of the readers. Good luck.

Thank you for your quick answer, working on that shadowing, on my CVPN and on increasing my GPA with my summer classes !!!  :-)

Hi All,

I would like advice on areas of improvement and my chances.

Year 1: 3.72 (10 courses)

Year 2: 4.0 (10 courses)

Year 3: 4.0 (10 courses)

Not eligible for U of T weighting, complicated situation but essentially before year 1 have 2 courses from the summer and 3 courses from the winter at a different university.

Mac cGPA: 3.88, Ottawa: 3.95, U of T cGPA: 3.90

Research (UG):

·         Volunteer RA in lab 1 (summer 2014, 40hrs/week, clinical research)

·         Volunteer RA lab 2 for 1 year (summer + year 2), ran studies for grad student (8hrs/week)

·         Lab 3 (wet lab): summer student (worked >40hrs/week), presented poster, received award. From this lab: conducted own project during summer, continued in year 3 as part of course and volunteered aside in same lab), presented posters at 3-4 UG research conferences, received 1 award, continuing this summer.

ECs during undergrad:

Hospital volunteering in year 1 & summer afterwards (1 year, 4 hours/week)

Peer Tutor for 2 courses (years 2 and 3)

Club Founder and Co-President (summer-Fall 2015, 8 months)- 5-6hours/week

Work study position during year 3 (8-10 hours/week)

Peer Educator (with health center on campus): 2 hours/ week, year 2

First year mentor (year 3, ~1 hour/ week)

President of a city-level youth organization (heavy involvement in year 1, discontinued afterwards to focus on school)

Awards:

-          Year 2: received a scholarship for academic achievement and community involvement from university

-          2 poster awards

High School ECs:

Tutor at library- 3 years, 2hrs/week until program discontinued, Hospital co-op (1 summer, 35 hrs/week for 2 months), Hospital volunteering (2 years, 3 hours/ week), Workshop presenter for children (ran 3-4 workshops, total ~40 hours or so), Editor in chief of school paper, president of a club, secretary of another club, Participated in multiple enrichment programs, received multiple awards for grades & EC involvement.

MCAT: 506 (126 CARS, 128 Bio, 127 PS, 125 Psych/Soc), rewriting this summer, last year did not study for the Psych section and did minimal prep for CARS).

ON resident. I was rejected pre-interview this year from Ottawa, McMaster and Queens; applied for practice with OMSAS and application process, also hadn’t received MCAT scores when submitted application.

Where can I apply and any suggestions on which areas of my ECs I can improve? One issue is that I don’t have any long term involvements because it has been a difficult transition to undergrad and I find that I need to spend a lot more time to get competitive grades than others and don’t have as much time for ECs. This past year for instance (year 3), due to a work study job on campus and a challenging course load, I had to discontinue my club involvement (but made sure it was appropriately handed over). Also, I don’t have as much hospital volunteering experience during undergrad because I felt that I had learned enough and gained sufficient experience during high school and want to try other new/interesting activities.

Would really appreciate honest opinion and ways that I can make my application competitive. Also, are there any OOP schools I should apply to?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Would really appreciate advice on areas of improvement/my chances in general.

GPA (4.0 scale)

Year 1: 3.96

Year 2: 3.99

MCAT 

- not written yet but based on the FLs I'm doing I imagine getting somewhere between 515-520.

Research:

- Wet lab work for 6 months of first year, which I stopped doing due to the fact that I didn't enjoy it/other commitments came up. Was still an amazing learning experience though and it helped me realize that wet lab work may not have been for me.

- Now doing research with a team of surgeons/phd students and working on 2 studies, maybe a third, that should be published within the next 6-8 months. Really involved with one of the projects, from the inception of the idea to the ethics approval to writing the manuscript.

Awards:

One entrance scholarship for >95% from high school

1 uni scholarship for top 15% GPA in academic faculty

1 uni scholarship for top 10% GPA in faculty

Extracurrics:

Been doing each one for more than a year.

Peer mentor for 2 years

Volunteering at a local school to teach kids reading

Vice-president for a healthcare related club 

Exec for a conference on health

A few other minor things here and there

I feel like right now one of the weaknesses of my application is a lack of employment. I'm also planning on applying only to med schools in Ontario. What do other people think? 

Hey everyone!

Would really appreciate advice on areas of improvement/my chances in general.

GPA (4.0 scale)

Year 1: 3.96

Year 2: 3.99

MCAT

- not written yet but based on the FLs I'm doing I imagine getting somewhere between 515-520.

Research:

- Wet lab work for 6 months of first year, which I stopped doing due to the fact that I didn't enjoy it/other commitments came up. Was still an amazing learning experience though and it helped me realize that wet lab work may not have been for me.

- Now doing research with a team of surgeons/phd students and working on 2 studies, maybe a third, that should be published within the next 6-8 months. Really involved with one of the projects, from the inception of the idea to the ethics approval to writing the manuscript.

Awards:

One entrance scholarship for >95% from high school

1 uni scholarship for top 15% GPA in academic faculty

1 uni scholarship for top 10% GPA in faculty

Extracurrics:

Been doing each one for more than a year.

Peer mentor for 2 years

Volunteering at a local school to teach kids reading

Vice-president for a healthcare related club

Exec for a conference on health

A few other minor things here and there

I feel like right now one of the weaknesses of my application is a lack of employment. I'm also planning on applying only to med schools in Ontario. What do other people think?

Given the clear capability of your school work, as well as having a range of research positions and EC's that seem to be both in and out of healthcare/science, I think that schools wouldn't be too preoccupied with a lack of paid work experience. If you had more gaps in your EC's you would have more to worry about. Relax. I think you'll be fine. Just keep up the good work!

My current MCAT is 9/10/10. I'll be re-writting the 2015 version (removing physics will play into my favour hopefully!). I'm an Ontario resident. 

GPA:

year 1: 3.71

year 2: 4.0

year 3: 4.0

year 4: 3.82

Overall OMSAS: 3.89

U of T WGPA: 4.0

U of Ottawa WGPA: 3.91

I focused mostly on academics in undergrad and don't have many extra curriculars. I TAed a course as an undergrad for 2 semesters (3rd/4th year). I also am very into fitness but I don't really see what I'd put for this. I was a member of the snowboarding club for 4 years. I won an entrance scholarship, in course award for top GPA in my third year and a research internship award. Under this award I worked full time in a lab, published as a 2nd author on an abstract and presented research project as a poster at an university research event. I also worked full time for 4 months in a different lab the summer after graduating my degree (paid). I am 8th author on this published paper from this job. Also won graduating honour roll.  

I have just completed a research based Master's program (GPA: 4.0). I have published a 1st author abstract/ presented a poster at an international conference. I won external graduate funding 1) QEII award and 2) CIHR Masters award. Also a conference travel grant.

In my masters program these are my extracurriculars:

- 2 years on student council

- Mentorship program (2 years)

- Intramural sports (2 years)

- Began volunteering teaching swimming to developmentally disabled children in (May 2016)

- Took on a work-study research project working on a project with developmental disabilities (May 2016)

- Just joined a fundraiser committee for a hospital (May 2016)

- Graduate Teaching Assistant for 2 years (4 courses); made head my final 2 semesters as a TA (independent of funding)

I took a gap year between my masters and undergrad. Had another planning fundraiser committee role. Also worked with a developmentally disabled fitness class (2 hours/week for the year) on top of being a full time secretary. I have volunteered off and on with a homeless shelter since high school too.

If I can do well on my MCAT (hoping for 128 cars!) what are my chances??

My current MCAT is 9/10/10. I'll be re-writting the 2015 version (removing physics will play into my favour hopefully!). I'm an Ontario resident. 

GPA:

year 1: 3.71

year 2: 4.0

year 3: 4.0

year 4: 3.82

Overall OMSAS: 3.89

U of T WGPA: 4.0

U of Ottawa WGPA: 3.91

I focused mostly on academics in undergrad and don't have many extra curriculars. I TAed a course as an undergrad for 2 semesters (3rd/4th year). I also am very into fitness but I don't really see what I'd put for this. I was a member of the snowboarding club for 4 years. I won an entrance scholarship, in course award for top GPA in my third year and a research internship award. Under this award I worked full time in a lab, published as a 2nd author on an abstract and presented research project as a poster at an university research event. I also worked full time for 4 months in a different lab the summer after graduating my degree (paid). I am 8th author on this published paper from this job. Also won graduating honour roll.  

I have just completed a research based Master's program (GPA: 4.0). I have published a 1st author abstract/ presented a poster at an international conference. I won external graduate funding 1) QEII award and 2) CIHR Masters award. Also a conference travel grant.

In my masters program these are my extracurriculars:

- 2 years on student council

- Mentorship program (2 years)

- Intramural sports (2 years)

- Began volunteering teaching swimming to developmentally disabled children in (May 2016)

- Took on a work-study research project working on a project with developmental disabilities (May 2016)

- Just joined a fundraiser committee for a hospital (May 2016)

- Graduate Teaching Assistant for 2 years (4 courses); made head my final 2 semesters as a TA (independent of funding)

I took a gap year between my masters and undergrad. Had another planning fundraiser committee role. Also worked with a developmentally disabled fitness class (2 hours/week for the year) on top of being a full time secretary. I have volunteered off and on with a homeless shelter since high school too.

If I can do well on my MCAT (hoping for 128 cars!) what are my chances??

Uh what lol, physics is not removed my friend