Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hey everyone,

I'm applying from my 2nd year of a course based graduate program. I wanted to know what you guys though about my chances for Ontario schools.

My cGPA is 3.80.

For Mac, it remains at 3.80

For Queens/Western, it is around 3.86

For UofT, it goes up to 3.85

So overall, as you can see, my GPA is not great.

I received my MCAT scores recently as well:
516: 131/129/128/128

For ECs, I have been Exec. of 3 clubs, volunteered in research labs, one conference abstract, taught for an MCAT prep company,  a decent amount of campus involvement.

I wanted to know if my GPA or EC's would hold me back or if I have a decent shot at interviews. Any honest advice would be great.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I'm applying from my 2nd year of a course based graduate program. I wanted to know what you guys though about my chances for Ontario schools.

My cGPA is 3.80.

For Mac, it remains at 3.80

For Ottawa, it is around 3.85

For Queens/Western, it is around 3.86

For UofT, it goes up to 3.88

So overall, as you can see, my GPA is not great.

I received my MCAT scores recently as well:

517: 131/129/129/128

For ECs, I have been VP/exec. of 3 clubs, volunteered in research labs, one conference abstract, taught for an MCAT prep company,  a decent amount of campus involvement, and a summer health related research project.

I wanted to know if my GPA or EC's would hold me back or if I have a decent shot at interviews. Any honest advice would be great.

Thanks!

Mac: Pretty decent shot with a 3.80 and 129 CARS, dependent on your CASPer as always though

Ottawa: Not a good shot imo, GPA too low although it meets minimum cutoff

Queens: You should meet their "unofficial" cutoffs for GPA/MCAT after which it seems interview selection is pretty unpredictable; your ECs look good to me

Western: GPA meets cutoffs; as of now your MCAT doesn't meet their cutoff from last year (127/130/127). But it is rumoured they MAY drop their CARS down to 129 so you may get an interview

U of T: 3.88 wgpa is cutting it close, probably on the less likely end of getting an interview but it is not unheard of

Hope this helps! 

PS: lol at your username haha

Hey guys, what are my chances?

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: (516)130/127/128/131 

ECs: Hospital volunteering, vice president of some clubs, kids camps in northern Ontario, Health records in hospital one summer, tour guide for my school, lots of musical involvement,, shadowing. No research, and no conferences, or TAing or anything. Mostly community involvement with hospitals and churches.
From Northern Ontario.    

Applied Everywhere, looking mostly into NOSM. Already got 1 interview to the US. 
But hypothetically what about the rest of Ontario? 

Also good luck to everyone applying this year!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, would appreciate your thoughts on what my chances are for Mac Med

Currently in my last semester of an MBA program, specializing in Health Services Management. Undergraduate degree in Liberal Arts.

cGPA: 3.88

CARS: 126

Lots of Extracurricular Experience in leadership roles, community service, some in healthcare (from both Undergrad and Grad). I also worked full-time for a year in a leadership role at a student union, have had 3 different co-op jobs (4 months) as part of my MBA degree in the healthcare space (2 of which were in a hospital). Unfortunately, ECs/Jobs doesn't seem to be taken in to consideration with the formula for Mac Med.

Essentially, I'm concerned that my CARS/GPA combination are too low to be competitive. Writing CASPer on Thursday.

Thanks for the input everyone. Good luck to all applicants!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this has been asked so many times but after reading through about 20 pages I just really need to ask this for comfort and support. So my first year was absolute garbage. I got a 3.0 GPA. I know, really bad. I'm on my second year and I'm honestly only getting 70s on my midterms which I'm definitely going to raise to 90s because I can't keep going like this. My goal is to have a 4.0 GPA this year.

I currently do not have a research done, I volunteer here and there but no concrete place (taking 6 courses this semester and I haven't found any place that is flexible). My question is, have I completely screwed up my chances at getting anywhere? I do want to take the MCAT next year and I honestly don't think I will get in anywhere yet.

I have some extracurricular activities and I work in a pharmacy as a pharmacist assistant. Does that help my application in any way?

I know this has been asked so many times but after reading through about 20 pages I just really need to ask this for comfort and support. So my first year was absolute garbage. I got a 3.0 GPA. I know, really bad. I'm on my second year and I'm honestly only getting 70s on my midterms which I'm definitely going to raise to 90s because I can't keep going like this. My goal is to have a 4.0 GPA this year.

I currently do not have a research done, I volunteer here and there but no concrete place (taking 6 courses this semester and I haven't found any place that is flexible). My question is, have I completely screwed up my chances at getting anywhere? I do want to take the MCAT next year and I honestly don't think I will get in anywhere yet.

I have some extracurricular activities and I work in a pharmacy as a pharmacist assistant. Does that help my application in any way?

I'm going to be honest with you, I suggest you focus on fixing your GPA before thinking anymore about enhancing your extracurriculars. In first year, tbh, a 3.0 isn't the end of the world, some schools take your best/recent 2 years while some drop your lowest X amount of credits. Your concern should lie more on the 70s you've seen on your recent 2nd year midterms...is it your study habits? Time management? Not understanding content? It's hard to say based on your results that you can jump from 70s to 90s in a snap of your fingers and it will take a bit of self-reflection. I am only saying this because it simply seems that you are getting constant 70s/3.0-3.3 since first year to the beginning of your 2nd year. 

But to answer your question if you have screwed up your chances...no you have not, but it's better to figure out what you may be doing wrong early than later. 

Yeah I know it is because I seem to get anxious during my midterms and either work on problems too fast without fully reading questions or I don't manage my time well while I work on the problems presented. When I look back at the questions, I know I can do them and all the mistakes I make are fairly stupid but they do add up. Everything else I'm getting 90s in, it's just my midterms that I seem to always get anxious in. That's what I'm trying to change on. But thanks for the advice on focusing on my GPA. I may be trying a little bit much on other things and taking my focus away from the priorities. 

Yeah I know it is because I seem to get anxious during my midterms and either work on problems too fast without fully reading questions or I don't manage my time well while I work on the problems presented. When I look back at the questions, I know I can do them and all the mistakes I make are fairly stupid but they do add up. Everything else I'm getting 90s in, it's just my midterms that I seem to always get anxious in. That's what I'm trying to change on. But thanks for the advice on focusing on my GPA. I may be trying a little bit much on other things and taking my focus away from the priorities. 

Does school have services for students with disabilities? Try talking to them about what you've been experiencing- it could be that you have an undiagnosed learning condition or mental health issue. I had this exact problem and spoke to a disability advisor, and long story short, I was diagnosed with a learning disability and got accommodations for tests/exams that allowed me to compensate for the LD, which prevented me from making stupid mistakes (and/or catching and fixing them before I handed in the exam). My GPA went from 3.6 --> 3.9+ after getting the accommodations. Feel free to PM me with any questions about accommodations or the assessment process!

Does school have services for students with disabilities? Try talking to them about what you've been experiencing- it could be that you have an undiagnosed learning condition or mental health issue. I had this exact problem and spoke to a disability advisor, and long story short, I was diagnosed with a learning disability and got accommodations for tests/exams that allowed me to compensate for the LD, which prevented me from making stupid mistakes (and/or catching and fixing them before I handed in the exam). My GPA went from 3.6 --> 3.9+ after getting the accommodations. Feel free to PM me with any questions about accommodations or the assessment process!

I agree with this. I have a friend who was experiencing something very similar with midterms and finals, and she didn't do well in her first year because of it. In second year, she got accommodations for her exams, and now has close to a 4.0 GPA. As others have said, it's definitely not too late to improve your GPA. Best of luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I was just wondering ow do you think I am doing, and what can I do to improve and better myself as an applicant? I was previously thinking MD-PhD which is why I (regrettably spent a lot of time on research in my university years),  but I'm not as interested in research anymore. 

I'm studying abroad (junior) at an Ivy. I hope to apply this cycle.  My home province is Alberta, if that's relevant.

Current GPA: 3.81 (trying to improve)
MCAT: Taking in April or May
Research: 2014 Summer, 2015 Summer, 2016 Summer, throughout school year.  Obtained various fellowships. Also in high school, but not that relevant? 
ECs: Editor for Public Health journal, Conference programming director for a conference aimed at uniting millennials, programming committee member this year. Math coach for low income students - 2016 summer, a semester this year. Treasurer for a social justice group from 2015 to 2016. Co-chaired this event with a "Biobus" and other science activities to excite kids in the neighbourhood about science. I am also involved in a "Wellness Community" that works to increase awareness of issues. I am spearheading 2 events, hopefully a speaker/panel, and another, more "active" event. 

Clinical Volunteering: Volunteer interacting with parents of patients, educating them on health literacy. ~200 hours by the end of the school year.

Hopefully this summer, I can get involved in more clinical work.

I went to the US to study for a few reasons, largely because I did not have a really enjoyable time in high school and wanted to get some distance from everything. I also think my school has some cool features and an exciting location. However, I miss Canada and want to come home now.  :) 

Hi all, I was just wondering ow do you think I am doing, and what can I do to improve and better myself as an applicant? I was previously thinking MD-PhD which is why I (regrettably spent a lot of time on research in my university years), but I'm not as interested in research anymore.

I'm studying abroad (junior) at an Ivy. I hope to apply this cycle. My home province is Alberta, if that's relevant.

Current GPA: 3.81 (trying to improve)

MCAT: Taking in April or May

Research: 2014 Summer, 2015 Summer, 2016 Summer, throughout school year. Obtained various fellowships. Also in high school, but not that relevant?

ECs: Editor for Public Health journal, Conference programming director for a conference aimed at uniting millennials, programming committee member this year. Math coach for low income students - 2016 summer, a semester this year. Treasurer for a social justice group from 2015 to 2016. Co-chaired this event with a "Biobus" and other science activities to excite kids in the neighbourhood about science. I am also involved in a "Wellness Community" that works to increase awareness of issues. I am spearheading 2 events, hopefully a speaker/panel, and another, more "active" event.

Clinical Volunteering: Volunteer interacting with parents of patients, educating them on health literacy. ~200 hours by the end of the school year.

Hopefully this summer, I can get involved in more clinical work.

I went to the US to study for a few reasons, largely because I did not have a really enjoyable time in high school and wanted to get some distance from everything. I also think my school has some cool features and an exciting location. However, I miss Canada and want to come home now. :)

Until you get an MCAT score I don't feel like I can say much rn. But if you get a good CARs score for Calgary or a good overall MCAT for Alberta, those will probably be your best bets due to residency status.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm not sure if I'm working towards nothing. I'm currently in 4th year Biochemistry at UBC and I didn't really consider med an option until late in 3rd year so I don't have very good stats right now.

Average: 81.3% (not sure what this converts to)

MCAT: 511 129/126/129/127.. Open to retake and confident that I can do better because I didn't practice CARS lol

EC's:  

- I volunteered at an organization that deals with the preservation of Canada's wildlife/forests for 3 years and worked on a bunch of different projects

- Been volunteering at a homeless shelter for 1 year on/off

- Currently getting started with volunteering as a guide/helper for people with vision loss 

- Had a warehouse job for a summer

- Have worked for a moving company (family friend's) on/off since high school. I've done moves as far as Toronto

Not sure if these matter since they were a while ago but I did:

- Karate for 7 years (grade 5-12) and have my blue belt

- Ice hockey for 7 years (grade 5-12)

I realize that I don't have much here right now so my plan is to take a 5th year of electives and hopefully get my GPA to 85%. The average for UBC med for the last 3 years has been 86-87. However, looking at the stats online it seems like the average has been going up almost every year. I'm also not sure if I can get it to 85. I've done some calculating and 84 is more possible. Also with UBC taking out med school pre-reqs I'm worried about the average shooting up even more by the time I apply.

For the future I'm looking for part time paid or unpaid work in a lab (struggling lol). The 5th year will also give me time to get involved in more volunteer positions. What I'm worried about is if it'll look bad that I didn't start ramping up EC's until this late? Again, I wasn't thinking beyond my degree in 1st/2nd year and I know UBC likes to see long term commitment although I'm not really sure what that means in terms of years/hours

Also, I have years without a full course load and some of my highest grading courses were taken in the summer. So, UBC might be my only realistic option- especially considering the 5th year of electives since I've heard UBC doesn't punish for it.

How does my plan sound? If I follow through with it I probably won't bother with applying until 2018 and the thought of not being able to get in after that scares me.

I will be 23 years old next year and will graduate with a Bachelor of Science (Honors), majoring in Biology. My first year, I more or less failed, highest grade was a "C-" and I was on academic probation for awhile. I changed some things and put in a lot more effort:

CGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 129/130/129/131 (519)

Extracurriculars: Research assistant during summer 2016, 12+ months volunteering weekly at local hospital, full time employment has prevented me from pursuing a lot more EC's . . .

I am interested in either staying here in BC or Ontario (McMaster, UofT, Queen's, Ottawa)

I will be 23 years old next year and will graduate with a Bachelor of Science (Honors), majoring in Biology. My first year, I more or less failed, highest grade was a "C-" and I was on academic probation for awhile. I changed some things and put in a lot more effort:

Extracurriculars: Research assistant during summer 2016, 12+ months volunteering weekly at local hospital, full time employment has prevented me from pursuing a lot more EC's . . .

I am interested in either staying here in BC or Ontario (McMaster, UofT, Queen's, Ottawa)

CGPA is a 3.97 and you almost failed first year with a C-? Great GPA repair, VERY impressive. Do you have 2 years at 60/40 with 30 credits? If so, GREAT shot at a Western interview. How many years did your Undergrad take? (You say you're 23, so 5 years?) Did you take a full course load every year? Even without, GPA for UofT is great. EC's are weak. Maybe join some clubs? Might have trouble at UBC, need a more impressive CV EC wise. Queen's is a black box, so hard to say, but probably need more EC's. For Mac, 130 CARS, 3.97 GPA, decent CASPER and you should have an interview. Ottawa, What's your WGPA (Most recent year x 3, next year x 2, next year x 1)? I think your big hurdle is EC activities. Try to gain more experience. Do things you enjoy. Any hobbies? Play music? Tutor a subject you excel at? Mentor a kid from a local high school. All of these could be rewarding. DO NOT do anything JUST to get into medical school. Do what you enjoy, and medical schools will get a better sense of who you are as a person. Your goal should be to improve yourself, not just your CV. The AdComs will respond to that.

I'm just wondering if you are sure that your cgpa is really 3.97? that seems almost impossible with a first year average below a B...so just curious if you are calculating it properly. That being said, if you did really well in your other years, that combined with your mcat score could get you interviews at Western, Queens, Toronto, and Mac possibly if your cgpa is 3.97. Also, Ottawa would be possible since you would be able to count your final 4 years (assuming you're in your 5th?). Definitely try to improve those ECs, that's probably the biggest barrier at this point. The other poster had some good advice with doing things that you are interested in, don't just do things to "pad" your CV. Good luck! 

I have a 3.99 cGPA (or 94.5% GPA for UBC).

MCAT: 515 (with 124 in CARS).

EC's: 250 hours hospital volunteering, year of work experience, year of research experience (~450 hours), some shadowing, sports (mostly from high school years, though); little leadership experience, however

Awards: NSERC; some academic awards for high(est) marks in certain classes

I applied to Queen's, UofOttawa,MacMaster, and UBC (IP). 

I know my CARS score will be holding me back, and I might choose to retake, but I hope not to. Any input on my chances? 

Hey guys, I'm not sure if I'm working towards nothing. I'm currently in 4th year Biochemistry at UBC and I didn't really consider med an option until late in 3rd year so I don't have very good stats right now.

Average: 81.3% (not sure what this converts to)

MCAT: 511 129/126/129/127.. Open to retake and confident that I can do better because I didn't practice CARS lol

EC's:  

- I volunteered at an organization that deals with the preservation of Canada's wildlife/forests for 3 years and worked on a bunch of different projects

- Been volunteering at a homeless shelter for 1 year on/off

- Currently getting started with volunteering as a guide/helper for people with vision loss 

- Had a warehouse job for a summer

- Have worked for a moving company (family friend's) on/off since high school. I've done moves as far as Toronto

Not sure if these matter since they were a while ago but I did:

- Karate for 7 years (grade 5-12) and have my blue belt

- Ice hockey for 7 years (grade 5-12)

I realize that I don't have much here right now so my plan is to take a 5th year of electives and hopefully get my GPA to 85%. The average for UBC med for the last 3 years has been 86-87. However, looking at the stats online it seems like the average has been going up almost every year. I'm also not sure if I can get it to 85. I've done some calculating and 84 is more possible. Also with UBC taking out med school pre-reqs I'm worried about the average shooting up even more by the time I apply.

For the future I'm looking for part time paid or unpaid work in a lab (struggling lol). The 5th year will also give me time to get involved in more volunteer positions. What I'm worried about is if it'll look bad that I didn't start ramping up EC's until this late? Again, I wasn't thinking beyond my degree in 1st/2nd year and I know UBC likes to see long term commitment although I'm not really sure what that means in terms of years/hours

Also, I have years without a full course load and some of my highest grading courses were taken in the summer. So, UBC might be my only realistic option- especially considering the 5th year of electives since I've heard UBC doesn't punish for it.

How does my plan sound? If I follow through with it I probably won't bother with applying until 2018 and the thought of not being able to get in after that scares me.

I'm in a pretty similar situation GPA-wise, but I have a feeling you'd have to make up for it in a big way with ECs which idk that you have right now... A good amount of people do get in in the 80-85% aGPA range so I think if you focus on both bringing up the GPA and getting in those diverse ECs (look at UBC's spread of what they look for: leadership, service, diversity etc. you should be good!! 

EC's: 250 hours hospital volunteering, year of work experience, year of research experience (~450 hours), some shadowing, sports (mostly from high school years, though); little leadership experience, however

I know my CARS score will be holding me back, and I might choose to retake, but I hope not to. Any input on my chances? 

Good chance at Ottawa. No idea about UBC. McMaster and Queen's are very unlikely.

That GPA will very likely carry you to a UBC invite especially because you're IP.

Hi,

4th year BA student. 

CGPA: 3.9+

WGPA UofT: ~4

WGPA for Ottawa: 3.95+

WGPA for Queen's: ~4

WGPA for Western: ~4

MCAT: Met Western's cutoffs last year (Non-SWOMEN-I am also non SWOMEN if that was not clear)

CASPER: Rough. Found it hard.

EC's: Play music in a band, LOTS of research (5 labs with 3 of them being LONG TERM, the other two for 1 year and 1 summer, 4 publications (1 1st author)), Tutoring, Long distance runner, A few awards for GPA, Hospital volunteering, Shadowed and did clinical research with a physician. Member of a group that meets weekly to discuss ethics. (Pretty standard EC's. I think this might be my problem.)

1st year was rough, almost all essay courses, brought down GPA significantly. 4th year looks like it'll be the same problem. 2nd and third year were all science courses which went well. (SHOULD HAVE MAJORED IN A SCIENCE! Oh well, too late now!)

Applied to UofT, Queen's, Mac, Western, Ottawa.

(Deliberately did not post exact GPA or MCAT scores. I did meet cutoffs for Western last year though. Worried about them changing significantly. Too many points up in Bio or Chem and I'm in trouble. CARS shouldn't be an issue)

Hello, 

I applied last year and received interviews, however, was not fortunate enough to be accepted. What do you think my chances are this year?

4th year BSc applicant 

Ontario - SWOMEN status

GPA - 3.96 (OMSAS), 92% average. 

MCAT - 515, Chem-128, Psych - 129, CARS - 128, Bio - 130

Research,

Competed in prestigious bio/biotech research competition in grade 12, won several awards - research was conducted in a university level molecular biology lab

3 NSERC USRAs, worked part-time in lab through merit-based scholarship program during the school year

Worked on two separate projects (3 if you include high school) in a single mol-bio lab over 4 years

Presented Bio research at regional and national level in high school (oral and poster), and at an international conference this year (poster)

Helped design tools to improve teaching and learning in first-year classes, presented this through oral presentations at two international conferences

Currently developing a lab to teach students and the public about cancer - will be integrated into first-year biology curriculum

Volunteer

Girls U8 Soccer Coach

Girls hockey coach - 3 years

Executive team members - campus first response team 

Crew chief - campus first response team (highest rank attainable, held various ranks through years on this team with well over 1000 hours)

Treasurer for Student council on campus

Lab volunteer- 2 semesters -> doing general lab maintenance

Volunteered with a cancer research and outreach group doing public cancer education at various events 

in high school, I helped with an underprivileged children's Christmas party for four years.

Employment:

TA position - held this twice

Hockey referee and timekeeper - 6 years

research positions as mentioned above

Other

Played competitive hockey for 5 years

ran track and field as well as cross country

played soccer recreationally and at high school level. 

I think I got everything. I'm worried slightly by my lack of clinical volunteering and shadowing. 

Anyways, I applied to all schools in Canada that speak English and a number of schools in the US. ANyinsight into my chances at these schools would be much appreciated! 

Based on your interview invites last year alone, I would expect you to have interview invites for sure this year at least 2-3 ON schools, maybe some out of province. I think the big thing to work on for you are interviews! I would not worry at all about the shadowing, and maybe work on getting more clinical exposure if you can. Good luck! 

• 4 weeks later...

I posted before but realized I had converted a few of my grades incorrectly/still in school.

Year 1 GPA: 3.90 - Gap Year; transferring schools + move closer to home -  Year 2 GPA: 3.81 (Not a full course load). Year 3 GPA: 3.81(Not a full course load), Year 4 GPA: 3.93, Year 5: GPA: 3.70 (5 classes; 5 credits. Not full course load), Year 6: Currently: 3.90

Overall cGPA: 3.85 

Extra curricular: intramural sports (2010-present), student mentor for freshmen students (6 years), photography (since 16)

Volunteer: biochem and science societies member, drug prevention and hospital volunteer, working with disabled children, music instructor, member and exec for multiple clubs, shadowing a physician (2012, 3 months 20 hours per week), travelled abroad (volunteerism)

Research: research award from university (2014) ($2,000 value and matched by supervisor $2,000 + $3,500), Research assistant (2014), thesis project in a biochem lab (currently). No publications or posters

Awards: Internal research award (as mentioned above valued at $2,000 but matched), university entrance scholarship value $2500, Honour's List 4 years. Not included last year because of only taking 5/10 units.

MCAT: Cars-130, Biol-128, Psych-129, Chem-128

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so my GPA is on the lower side (3.5) but I am only 2.5 years through so I know I am able to increase it and I am writing my MCAT this summer. 
So far my Ecs consist of volunteering at a hospital, Varsity track and field team, volunteering at a pharmacy, shadowing an optometrist, volunteering for actions against drunk driving, volunteer coaching gymnastics, intramural volleyball and soccer, and volunteering coaching track. I'm not really sure where to go from here if I should mainly focus on my GPA? Help