Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

So here it goes!

I am turning 22 this year and began university last September, my GPA is 4.21. I live and study in BC and am currently pursuing a BSc in Health Science. If everything goes to plan, I will be graduating August 2018 (with a course load of at least 5 courses per semester including 2 "fast track" summer semesters each year)

I am thinking of applying to UBC & McMaster Med this October (as they do not require a degree as a prerequisite) but I'm hesitant to do so because it is more of a risk than a reality at this point for me because I feel like my late start at university as well as lack of volunteer work (I work a full-time job 6 days a week with classes in the morning) will definitely set me back.

My other choices are Pharmacy and Nursing.

So here it goes!

I am turning 22 this year and began university last September, my GPA is 4.21. I live and study in BC and am currently pursuing a BSc in Health Science. If everything goes to plan, I will be graduating August 2018 (with a course load of at least 5 courses per semester including 2 "fast track" summer semesters each year)

I am thinking of applying to UBC & McMaster Med this October (as they do not require a degree as a prerequisite) but I'm hesitant to do so because it is more of a risk than a reality at this point for me because I feel like my late start at university as well as lack of volunteer work (I work a full-time job 6 days a week with classes in the morning) will definitely set me back.

My other choices are Pharmacy and Nursing.

That's an amazing GPA! Convert your grades to UBC's percentages and see where you stand. A good GPA as an IP applicant can take you far and the fact that you are committed to a full-time job as well is admirable. Try to include any hobbies or any other extracurriculars you may have as well that you may not feel are important but are pretty valuable especially to a school like UBC (for example: being a parent, having a disabled sibling, work on the family farm, immigrating to Canada, learning a language etc.). UBC is definitely good about recognizing 'non-premed typical' ECs. I definitely think it's worth it to apply!

As for Mac, it'll depend on your CARS score! Interview invites depend on GPA, CARS, and the CASPer.

Hi All;

Applied to all ontario schools and 15 schools in america as well as through atlantic bridge and Saint George in the carribean. What do you all think my odds are?

Stats
Undergrad GPA (BSC U of T): OMSAS 3.23 (Strong upward trend (1st year was 2.3 and following years were 3.6+)
Graduate GPA (Master of Science U of T - graduated): OMSAS 4.0

MCAT: 511 (129 Bio; 128 psych; 127 cars; 127 phys) - 86th percentile overall.

Publications: 1 and 2 currently in preparation

Employment: Consultant for Medical Company for 11 months - work directly with patients and physicians in a clinical setting and work with treatment recomendations/guidelines

EC's: Ta'ing, worked in 3 labs during undergrad, won an NSERC summer studentship in 4th year undergrad, Martial arts (5+ Years); Write paid articles for bio website (3 years); wrote for student magazines; won 2 research awards at national conferences; volunteer to procure medical supplies with various organizations; volunteer with stroke patient rehabilitation for 2 years - these are the highlights but there are several more.  

Please let me know what you all think!

Hi All;

Applied to all ontario schools and 15 schools in america as well as through atlantic bridge and Saint George in the carribean. What do you all think my odds are?

Stats

Undergrad GPA (BSC U of T): OMSAS 3.23 (Strong upward trend (1st year was 2.3 and following years were 3.6+)

Graduate GPA (Master of Science U of T - graduated): OMSAS 4.0

MCAT: 511 (129 Bio; 128 psych; 127 cars; 127 phys) - 86th percentile overall.

Publications: 1 and 2 currently in preparation

Employment: Consultant for Medical Company for 11 months - work directly with patients and physicians in a clinical setting and work with treatment recomendations/guidelines

EC's: Ta'ing, worked in 3 labs during undergrad, won an NSERC summer studentship in 4th year undergrad, Martial arts (5+ Years); Write paid articles for bio website (3 years); wrote for student magazines; won 2 research awards at national conferences; volunteer to procure medical supplies with various organizations; volunteer with stroke patient rehabilitation for 2 years - these are the highlights but there are several more.  

Please let me know what you all think!

I can only comment on OMSAS schools, but Its hard to say anything w/o knowing your exact gpa for each school. Right now, I would say Mac and Western are unlikely due to CARS and your gpa. Need your school-specific gpa to comment on U of T, Ottawa, and Queens. Ott

• 2 weeks later...

I can only comment on OMSAS schools, but Its hard to say anything w/o knowing your exact gpa for each school. Right now, I would say Mac and Western are unlikely due to CARS and your gpa. Need your school-specific gpa to comment on U of T, Ottawa, and Queens. Ott

Thanks for the reply,

Ottawa GPA (top 3 years): 3.6

Queens 2YGPA: 3.68

U of T GPA: Same as OMSAS (didn't take full course load first year)

4th year undergrad, BHSc

MCAT: 518: 129/127/130/132 (97th percentile)
cGPA (OMSAS): 3.87 (1st 3.77, 2nd 3.86, 3rd 3.97)

ABS: Pretty diverse. Intramural sports, research at McMaster Department of Paediatrics (publication in process), gospel choir, volunteer at hospitals/schools/retirement homes, math/science tutor, piano teacher, musicals, juggle 2 part-time jobs since last summer, shadowed optometrist, and so on.

Already rejected from interviews at Mac and NOSM. I kinda expected it given my CARS score and a weak connection to Northern Ontario. Just need to know if I should seriously start looking into other options after graduation. Need to hear from 4 remaining schools - Queens, Ottawa, Western, UofT.

4th year undergrad, BHSc

MCAT: 518: 129/127/130/132 (97th percentile)

cGPA (OMSAS): 3.87 (1st 3.77, 2nd 3.86, 3rd 3.97)

ABS: Pretty diverse. Intramural sports, research at McMaster Department of Paediatrics (publication in process), gospel choir, volunteer at hospitals/schools/retirement homes, math/science tutor, piano teacher, musicals, juggle 2 part-time jobs since last summer, shadowed optometrist, and so on.

Already rejected interviews from Mac and NOSM. I kinda expected it given my CARS score and a weak connection to Northern Ontario. Just need to know if I should seriously start looking into other options after graduation. Need to hear from 4 remaining schools - Queens, Ottawa, Western, UofT.

So, even though your MCAT is great in terms of overall score, I think you'll have to cross Western off your list, barring a rewrite. The odds of Western's CARS cutoff moving down to a 127 just aren't very high. Even going down to a 128 might be unlikely. Queen's is, to use the by now cliche term, a black box. It's really hard to tell what they want, so you may have a shot there. UofT-Are you eligible for weighting (Did you take a full course load every year?). Ottawa, your GPA is OK (3.90), slightly lower than the last reported average (3.93), but your EC's look good. You might have a shot there.

In reference to the idea of looking into other options, you should always have a backup plan, be it take a year off to work, travel, start Masters, etc. Medical school admissions are a long game: i.e. marathon not sprint (to use another cliche). It frequently takes applicants multiple tries to get in. So, while you still have a shot at a few more schools, you absolutely should make plans for after graduation, just in case. (I hope this was helpful!) Have a great day!

So, even though your MCAT is great in terms of overall score, I think you'll have to cross Western off your list, barring a rewrite. The odds of Western's CARS cutoff moving down to a 127 just aren't very high. Even going down to a 128 might be unlikely. Queen's is, to use the by now cliche term, a black box. It's really hard to tell what they want, so you may have a shot there. UofT-Are you eligible for weighting (Did you take a full course load every year?). Ottawa, your GPA is OK (3.90), slightly lower than the last reported average (3.93), but your EC's look good. You might have a shot there.

In reference to the idea of looking into other options, you should always have a backup plan, be it take a year off to work, travel, start Masters, etc. Medical school admissions are a long game: i.e. marathon not sprint (to use another cliche). It frequently takes applicants multiple tries to get in. So, while you still have a shot at a few more schools, you absolutely should make plans for after graduation, just in case. (I hope this was helpful!) Have a great day!

Thanks for your input, I'll definitely start considering other options. Also, I did take a full course load every year so I'm hoping that gives me a shot at UofT. In terms of MCAT, do you think it is worth rewriting to bump up a 127 CARS, even with a 518 overall? It seems to like such a game changer for Ontario med schools and with Ottawa starting to look at MCAT next year, who knows how much emphasis they might put on that one section?

Completed undergrad - 4yr degree, Biology (Health Sciences). 

MCAT: 512: 126PHYS/129BIO/131 CARS/126 PSYC (87th percentile)

cGPA (OMSAS): 3.27 (one failed course - a non-credit career skills course failed due to a family crisis. The worst.)

Since last calculation - one 97% online course grade (not included in cGPA), currently in another semester of school as an unclassified student). 

ABS: Editor-in-Chief of campus newspaper for 3 years, lots of volunteering (adult, youth mental health, emerg., refugee one-on-one tutor), research lab RA for 9 months, hospital site lead research coordinator for PICU study 12 months)  

2 UBC rejections (no interview), an obvious Mac rejection this year. 

What should my strategy be? Currently I'm just firing on all cylinders volunteering, working, and importantly and annoyingly, GPA improving. Thoughts? 

My UBC scores this year were AQ 15 and NAQ 27. Last year, AQ was also 15, NAQ was 20. 

Completed undergrad - 4yr degree, Biology (Health Sciences). 

MCAT: 512: 126PHYS/129BIO/131 CARS/126 PSYC (87th percentile)

cGPA (OMSAS): 3.27 (one failed course - a non-credit career skills course failed due to a family crisis. The worst.)

Since last calculation - one 97% online course grade (not included in cGPA), currently in another semester of school as an unclassified student). 

ABS: Editor-in-Chief of campus newspaper for 3 years, lots of volunteering (adult, youth mental health, emerg., refugee one-on-one tutor), research lab RA for 9 months, hospital site lead research coordinator for PICU study 12 months)  

2 UBC rejections (no interview), an obvious Mac rejection this year. 

What should my strategy be? Currently I'm just firing on all cylinders volunteering, working, and importantly and annoyingly, GPA improving. Thoughts? 

My UBC scores this year were AQ 15 and NAQ 27. Last year, AQ was also 15, NAQ was 20. 

MCAT is not great... The scores aren't balanced which reflects negatively on the general well-rounded person outlook they like to see. I'd recommend a re-do for US Med schools.

Your chances at a Canadian medical school are not great unless you qualify for some agpa (e.g., Queens last 2 yrs agpa).

You have a long road ahead to increase your TFR by 10 points for an interview cut-off at UBC. I'd recommend a second degree (or a graduate degree) that you're comfortable as a Plan B -- while increasing your gpa. It will definitely not be easy, but possible. Your main issue is obviously gpa.

Good luck.

What are my chances of getting an interview at U of T medical school as a graduate student?

wGPA: 3.90

IP 2nd year Masters Student, 

ECs: A lot of volunteering, both clinical and non clinical (>500 hours in total), 2 scholarship since masters, $12000 each, 4 posters, 1 presentation at major conference, 1 co-author pub in submission, 2 other ones in prep, small awards for poster presentations and other scholarships, 3 full research experiences including masters

MCAT: meet cutoff

Rural Southwestern Ontario Resident

BSc - Honors Health Sci 2017

MCAT - Test Date September 2015:
    516 (95th): 129 C&P (93rd) / 127 CARS (83rd) / 130 BIO (97th) / 130 PSYCH (97th)

GPA (OMSAS): 3.99

ABS: Extensive shadowing of GPs, family doctors, & neurologists (>1000hrs); Athlete at a provincially competitive level for 5 years; Volunteer statistician for a varsity team throughout undergrad; Elected representative on university board of governors; Absolutely no research experience, or desire to acquire any.

References: Okay; Include a neurologist & coach; No professors; Don't think they're that big of a deal at the schools I applied to (?)

Last Year: No interview invite from Mac, Queens, or Ottawa

This year: No interview invite from Mac or Ottawa; Waiting on Western & Queens (hopefully tomorrow, can anyone confirm who has called?)

I hate caspr and my CARS is mediocre at best, so I'm not surprised about the first five results above. No one has any clue what Queens cares about, and Westerns MCAT cut offs could go up this year. Do I get an interview? And if I don't, what do I do instead? I have almost no desire to re-apply again next year to anywhere besides Western.

Rural Southwestern Ontario Resident

BSc - Honors Health Sci 2017

MCAT - Test Date September 2015:

516 (95th): 129 C&P (93rd) / 127 CARS (83rd) / 130 BIO (97th) / 130 PSYCH (97th)

GPA (OMSAS): 3.99

ABS: Extensive shadowing of GPs, family doctors, & neurologists (>1000hrs); Athlete at a provincially competitive level for 5 years; Volunteer statistician for a varsity team throughout undergrad; Elected representative on university board of governors; Absolutely no research experience, or desire to acquire any.

References: Okay; Include a neurologist & coach; No professors; Don't think they're that big of a deal at the schools I applied to (?)

Last Year: No interview invite from Mac, Queens, or Ottawa

This year: No interview invite from Mac or Ottawa; Waiting on Western & Queens (hopefully tomorrow, can anyone confirm who has called?)

I hate caspr and my CARS is mediocre at best, so I'm not surprised about the first five results above. No one has any clue what Queens cares about, and Westerns MCAT cut offs could go up this year. Do I get an interview? And if I don't, what do I do instead? I have almost no desire to re-apply again next year to anywhere besides Western.

I would say maybe to Queens, and yes to Western if you are SWOMEN (otherwise I don't think CARS is likely to drop to 127). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently a 3rd year undergrad. Below will be my stats as of when I apply (later this year).

GPA - 3.99

MCAT - 520 (131 C/P, 127 CARS, 132 B/B, 130 P/S)

I am a SWOMEN applicant so, based on what I know, my MCAT is only an issue for McMaster since my CARS is low.

Extracurriculars - Had a really slow start on these..might have to end up taking a year off to improve them since they're weak compared to everyone else here. I basically wasted my first summer and spent the second studying for the MCAT. :(

- Organ donation awareness (around 100 people registered as donors through my campaign)

- Hospital volunteering (~300 hours over 2.5 years in 1 department which includes training others, ~100 hours over 8 months in another department)

- Retirement home volunteering (40 hours at one for high school hours, ~80 hours over 7 months at another)

- Research assistant (~500 hours over 2 years, 1 conference, no publications)

- Worked part time at a veterinary clinic (~150 hours over 5 months)

- Volunteered at a soup kitchen (~60 hours over 5 months)

- Tutoring (~100 hours over 2 years)

- TA (1 semester)

- Peer mentoring (2 years)

- Shadowing (~40 hours)

- Captain of Science Olympiad Team (high school)

- Founder/President of a beach volleyball club (~30 members)

- President of a basketball club (~15 members)

- Academic scholarships (entrance scholarship, multiple subject awards)

- President's List & Honor Roll

- High school academic awards

- International traveling (several cities in Europe and Asia)

Please let me know what improvements you would recommend. Thanks!