Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

22 hours ago, MedicineLCS said:

You're being rejected by automatic cutoffs. E.g. UBC's 85% OOP. Your GPA is below screening cutoffs at Ottawa, most likely below UofT's cutoffs, and while it's a bit fuzzier in the grad stream Queen's cutoffs seem to be around a 3.8 (moving up and down year to year). Your 3.6/127 is going to require top 20th percentile CASPer results for Mac which is not easy. 

Practically speaking if you want to improve your odds you need to churn out more high GPA years to open up Western, Queens, improve your cGPA for Mac, and maybe Ottawa with enough time. Your ECs do not matter to these schools until you beat the stats filter. 

Do you suggest I do a second undergrad degree? I'm conflicted on whether if I should do a second degree or maybe apply to US schools. I'm currently in my mid to late 20ies and not sure which path would be worthwhile in terms of time. Thanks for the help. 

On 2/3/2021 at 5:55 PM, Noah said:

Do you suggest I do a second undergrad degree? I'm conflicted on whether if I should do a second degree or maybe apply to US schools. I'm currently in my mid to late 20ies and not sure which path would be worthwhile in terms of time. Thanks for the help. 

This is definitely a personal choice- but as medicineLCS said you have a very low or 0 chance at most Canadian schools with your GPA, unfortunately. It's not impossible for you to get in with what you have, but it's very unlikely. Keep in mind that there are many programs that allow you to do a second undergrad in 2-3 years, so although not ideal, it's not a huge time commitment (especially compared to the length of med training). But as I said, this is a personal choice- just realize that right now you have a very low chance of getting in in Canada unfortunately. I wouldn't worry too much about being in your late 20s- lots of people in med are that age or older!

On 2/2/2021 at 3:59 PM, ILikeMed said:

Hi guys, I'm wondering how I would fare if I applied next year with my school list below (I am a Canadian Citizen)

• State/Country of Residence: Canada (Ontario)

• Ties to other States/Regions: N/A

• Year in School: 3

• Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Life sciences major

• Graduate Degrees (if applicable): N/A

• Cumulative GPA: 3.93 (upward trend)

• Science GPA: 3.91

• MCAT Score(s): 516 (129/129/129/129)

• Research Experience: 70 hours.

• Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): 1 second author publication

• Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 150 volunteer hours

• Physician Shadowing: 50 hours

• Non-Clinical Volunteering: 200 hours

• Other Extracurricular Activities: NGO founder and president that gives aid to countries in case of natural disasters (The mayor of one of the cities we aided complimented on the NGO)

• Other Employment History: Lifeguard (4 Years counting, though haven't worked much the past couple years)

• Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Y (But did medicine at an international school)

• Specialty of Interest (if applicable): None

• Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Depends (Y if it's my only choice)

• Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Depends (Y if it's my only choice)

• Medical School List:

• All Canadian schools

• Michigan State

• Wayne State

• Central Michigan

• Virginia Commonwealth

• WASHU St Louis

• Maryland

• Georgetown

• Wisconsin

• NYMC

• SUNY Upstate

• Tulane

• Kentucky

• Case Western

• Dartmouth

• Saint Louis

I don't know anything about US schools, but it looks to me like you have a great application for Canadian schools. As long as you write your application well and do okay on CASPer, you should be able to get multiple interviews here. Personally, if I were you I wouldn't even bother applying to the US (unless you want to go to school there) and I'd focus on my Canadian application instead. One caveat though- I'd be wary about including physician shadowing on your Canadian application, it's generally looked down upon here and considered unethical (but if you apply to the states it's fine to include)

Hi Everyone! I wanted to hop on here and see what people think my chances are for my applications next year :)

Province: Ontario

Program: Medical sciences

GPA: 3.88-3.9

MCAT (on my last practice test): 126 chem phys, 128 bio, 129 psych soc, 130 cars

EC:

employment: K-12 science, math, french tutor; ESL tutor for children in Mexico; Princess performer for events, parades, parties; Drama/music class instructor

Volunteering ( 1500+ hours all combined) : Peer mentor for young adults with disabilities; Kids help phone crisis responder; humane society volunteer lead (done for ~ 6 years)

extracurriculars: Competitive adult tap dancing; singing training/ performances for mental health awareness; many musicals at the community and semi professional level ; Outreach coordinator for menstrual equity campus organization

Research (no publications): research volunteer with a ICU clinical research team with global studies (no opportunity to publish at the moment), First author Critical appraisal research poster; starting as a RA in a clinical research center with heart health research

Awards/ other : different academic awards and contests, DELF B2 french proficiency cert, student member of rural physicians of canada, attended multiple rural/northern/indigenous health conferences hosted by NOSM and other organizations

Any advice people have is appreciated, I just get myself really stressed haha. My top choices are Mcmaster, queens, and NOSM btw but ill go where-ever takes me

Hi everyone! 
I am so glad such a thread exists and hope everyone is staying well and healthy during these times (pandemic- and interview offers-related).

I applied for the 3rd time this cycle and once again was met with 0 interviews. I feel kind of lost, and honestly feel that the exclusion of Winter 2020 (my final semester) and change in weighted GPA calculations for a lot of the schools’ threw my stats off. Either way, I was wondering if anyone would be available to provide me with any advice on how I can better improve my application. 

I am from Ontario and applied to UofT, McMaster, Ottawa, Queens, Western, and UofC. 

GPA-wise, my cGPA is 3.76. My yearly GPA is as follows: 1st year - 3.54, 2nd year - 3.78,  3rd year - 3.87, 4th year - 3.86 (though due to a 15-unit Senior Thesis, most schools only counted 2 courses for my 4th year, if they even counted my fall semester). For UofC, my wGPA is 3.85. I majored in Biochemistry.

As for the MCAT, after a third re-write, I received a score of 510 (126/129/127/128). 

Extracurricular wise, I have over 1200 hours of research, a publication, some case study competitions and associated conferences, dancing (from a young age), volunteering as a crisis responder (100+ hours), tutoring (since high school), volunteering at a clinic (200+ hours), 3 different administrative jobs (1 of which I have had since 2015).

I graduated in 2020, and took a gap year this year, trying to gain more experience (as much as COVID has made possible), but I just am not sure how to progress to make my next application (whenever that may be) better. 

Any advice and tips would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

12 hours ago, kdramaaddict said:

Hi everyone! 
I am so glad such a thread exists and hope everyone is staying well and healthy during these times (pandemic- and interview offers-related).

I applied for the 3rd time this cycle and once again was met with 0 interviews. I feel kind of lost, and honestly feel that the exclusion of Winter 2020 (my final semester) and change in weighted GPA calculations for a lot of the schools’ threw my stats off. Either way, I was wondering if anyone would be available to provide me with any advice on how I can better improve my application. 

I am from Ontario and applied to UofT, McMaster, Ottawa, Queens, Western, and UofC. 

GPA-wise, my cGPA is 3.76. My yearly GPA is as follows: 1st year - 3.54, 2nd year - 3.78,  3rd year - 3.87, 4th year - 3.86 (though due to a 15-unit Senior Thesis, most schools only counted 2 courses for my 4th year, if they even counted my fall semester). For UofC, my wGPA is 3.85. I majored in Biochemistry.

As for the MCAT, after a third re-write, I received a score of 510 (126/129/127/128). 

Extracurricular wise, I have over 1200 hours of research, a publication, some case study competitions and associated conferences, dancing (from a young age), volunteering as a crisis responder (100+ hours), tutoring (since high school), volunteering at a clinic (200+ hours), 3 different administrative jobs (1 of which I have had since 2015).

I graduated in 2020, and took a gap year this year, trying to gain more experience (as much as COVID has made possible), but I just am not sure how to progress to make my next application (whenever that may be) better. 

Any advice and tips would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Your ECs look good to me, as does CARS- but your GPA and MCAT are right on the verge, so this along with CASPer is probably what's leading to the rejections.

-For Ottawa, I calculated your 3 year GPA as 3.84, which unfortunately is just under the 3.85 cutoff so your file won't even be looked at

-For Queen's and Western, your GPA is probably fine but your 126 in your MCAT may be getting you automatically screened out. If you could even bump this up to a 127, it could help your chances a lot

-For U of T, MCAT is fine but your cGPA is probably too low to be competitive, although this does depend on what your wGPA is for them/if you qualify. Generally you need at least a 3.9, a bit lower you may be able to squeak in but it would be difficult

-For Mac, assuming your CARS is 129 that's fine, and your cGPA for them is not bad, so it's likely CASPer is holding you back. With your stats, you probably need a mid-tier CASPer score. Also don't discount CASPer for other schools- Ottawa and Queen's also use it so that may also be holding you back there

-U of C I have no idea

Overall, your application is definitely not bad but your MCAT and GPA may be just under what you need. If you can pull up your MCAT score a tiny bit it may actually make a big difference on if you're screened out by Western and Queen's or not. As well, if there's any way you could do even just one more year of undergrad and pull a 3.9-4.0 GPA, that will get you over the mark for Ottawa and make you more competitive for u of T, Mac, and the other schools.

I will say though, your application is certainly not a lost cause so if the things I suggested aren't possible, I would focus on CASPer and writing your ECs and essays as well as you can. Hope that helps!

33 minutes ago, Psych said:

Your ECs look good to me, as does CARS- but your GPA and MCAT are right on the verge, so this along with CASPer is probably what's leading to the rejections.

-For Ottawa, I calculated your 3 year GPA as 3.84, which unfortunately is just under the 3.85 cutoff so your file won't even be looked at

-For Queen's and Western, your GPA is probably fine but your 126 in your MCAT may be getting you automatically screened out. If you could even bump this up to a 127, it could help your chances a lot

-For U of T, MCAT is fine but your cGPA is probably too low to be competitive, although this does depend on what your wGPA is for them/if you qualify. Generally you need at least a 3.9, a bit lower you may be able to squeak in but it would be difficult

-For Mac, assuming your CARS is 129 that's fine, and your cGPA for them is not bad, so it's likely CASPer is holding you back. With your stats, you probably need a mid-tier CASPer score. Also don't discount CASPer for other schools- Ottawa and Queen's also use it so that may also be holding you back there

-U of C I have no idea

Overall, your application is definitely not bad but your MCAT and GPA may be just under what you need. If you can pull up your MCAT score a tiny bit it may actually make a big difference on if you're screened out by Western and Queen's or not. As well, if there's any way you could do even just one more year of undergrad and pull a 3.9-4.0 GPA, that will get you over the mark for Ottawa and make you more competitive for u of T, Mac, and the other schools.

I will say though, your application is certainly not a lost cause so if the things I suggested aren't possible, I would focus on CASPer and writing your ECs and essays as well as you can. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for all your insight! 
Yes, I think I may not have done too well on my CASPer this year, and I completely agree with your point on the MCAT! I am just so scared to gamble the 129 in CARS for an extra point in the C/P section. I think I’ll take some time to practice and study, and if I feel that I am ready, I will try to write again (hopefully a fourth time doesn’t look bad!). 

I am also thinking of applying to graduate programs, and hopefully that gives me some time to bump up my ECs, decide whether or not I want to rewrite the MCAT, and prepare for CASPer. 

Thank you once again for your helpful insight and I hope you continue to stay safe and healthy :) 

Hi guys,

I am Ualberta undergard stduent with majors in Neuroscience. I have overall 3.7 GPA and my GPA in most science coirses is in the range of A and A+. Few ats courses I did that ruined my GPA. I have 2 publications, research during 3 summers, rasaerch certificate in Biomedical science, certificate in leadership studies, presenntation at 4 conferences, some retail job experience, hundreds of hours of community voluntering, 2 yeras of experience as a studnet group executive. Can  I still hope to get into UBC medicine or UofTorronto medicine? or I should just drop these schools? any suggestions for otehr schools?

really appreciate your repsonse.

2 hours ago, guruPramukh said:

Hi guys,

I am Ualberta undergard stduent with majors in Neuroscience. I have overall 3.7 GPA and my GPA in most science coirses is in the range of A and A+. Few ats courses I did that ruined my GPA. I have 2 publications, research during 3 summers, rasaerch certificate in Biomedical science, certificate in leadership studies, presenntation at 4 conferences, some retail job experience, hundreds of hours of community voluntering, 2 yeras of experience as a studnet group executive. Can  I still hope to get into UBC medicine or UofTorronto medicine? or I should just drop these schools? any suggestions for otehr schools?

really appreciate your repsonse.

you need to compute your GPA using the various rules some schools have for dropping courses. Toronto for instance will let you drop 2 standard courses if you have been doing 5.0 or more credits each year. There is a bit of math involved in figuring this all out, but Western, Toronto, Queens, and Ottawa have some ways of dealing with some poorer grades depending on when they are. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi to any reader,

Just like everyone else here, I'm wondering if somebody had an idea what my CRU looks like for UdeM and UdeS?

Bachelor Graduated Industrial Engineering at Polytechnique Montreal 
Currently finishing a master's degree (won't be considered as extra points since I didnt finish it yet)

GPA : 3.63/4 (4 years).  GPA 3.69/4 (3 last years)
Converted to a 4.33 scale, it gives me a GPA of 3.55/4.33. (4 years)

No ECs.

Applied as a university graduate applicant for the  MD at uLaval, UdeM, UdeS and Mcgill.

Refused by Mcgill and uLaval (Laval gave me a CRU of 29.992).

I'm not sure of what value I can use for the groups avg and groups std. deviation at UdeM nor UdeS. So what do you think my CRU could be for those two universities?

Thanks in advance,
Maybe a future MD M.Sc.(A.) eng

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

My ECs are really lacking which is why I was thinking of applying of applying to Mac. My cGPA is 3.96 and CARS score is 130. I know you have to submit your ABS and references; so is there any weight for ECs and stuff?

Thanks for any help in advance!

17 hours ago, mkay said:

Hey guys,

My ECs are really lacking which is why I was thinking of applying of applying to Mac. My cGPA is 3.96 and CARS score is 130. I know you have to submit your ABS and references; so is there any weight for ECs and stuff?

Thanks for any help in advance!

no. It's explicitly GPA, CARS, casper, as it says on their site. Some bonus 1% for completed graduate degrees. LORs are required but sounds like they are only used for red flags. In theory if you were only applying to Mac through OMSAS you don't have to fill out the ABS section.

Would love to get some insights on my own situation. I keep typing this up and deleting it because I know it's more productive to focus on my own grind and not worry about anything else, but I'm committing to actually posting it this time to just get general feedback.

Schools of Interest: UBC (IP, northern applicant); UofA; UofC; Dal; MUN; Queens; Western; NOSM; UofT; Mac

GPA: 89.65% (UBC AGPA); 3.65 (OMSAS cGPA); 3.98 (Queens 2-YR GPA); 3.86 (UofA/UofC wGPA); 85.96% (MUN cGPA); 3.87 (Western 2-YR GPA)

Educational Stage: Graduating BSc Hons. in April 2021

MCAT: 512 (127/128/126/131)

CASPer: Never taken before

ECs: Islamic Relief Canada volunteer for fundraising projects (220 hours, 2 years, current); homeless shelter volunteer (150 hours, 1.5 years, current); crisis line volunteer (530 hours, 3.5 years); high school Leadership team member for school and community projects (565 hours, 3 years); sports hobby with friends (1000 hours, 9 years, current); amateur eSports player on FIFA Ultimate Team (600 hours, 4 years, current); Junior Rotary club member and chapter President for one of the years (600 hours, 4 years); university Chemistry tutor and current Director of Tutoring for past 2 years (240 hours, 3 years, current); Big Brother (70 hours, 3 years); volunteer youth soccer coach (100 hours, 2 summers); staff youth soccer coach (65 hours, 1 summer); being a dedicated Muslim, ex. memorizing 70% of the chapters in Quran off by heart (2000 hours, 11 years, current); volunteer research assistant in biochemistry research lab doing molecule extractions (650 hours, 1 summer); giving religious talks to and teaching classes to local Muslim kids (350 hours, 9 years); helping raise baby brother (5000 hours, 10 years); dealing with psoriasis through ointment applications and medication self-injections (400 hours, 8 years, current); weight loss journey of >70lbs lost (400 hours, 1.5 years, current); Honours thesis in Psychology (400 hours, 2 years, current); helping dad manage disability, ex. when he needs to shower (200 hours, 10 years, current); 'creativity' hobby, ex. writing novellas, short stories, songs, poetry, and film scripts (1000 hours, 8 years, current); iGEM wet lab (200 hours, 1 summer); high school debate team member (150 hours, 2 years); night shift crisis line staff (200 hours, 1 summer); funded independent research project in biochemistry lab investigating anti-cancer effects of extracted compounds (120 hours, 1 semester); funded research assistant in geography lab collecting data on BC human rights organizations (100 hours, 1 semester); hospital patient TV and phone services staff (1000 hours, 2.5 years); hospital volunteer and volunteer supervisor for one of the years (60 hours, 2 years); current part time employment as a child and adult counsellor at Native Friendship Centre, starting full time in May (will be 200 hours in time for UBC application and around 950 hours in time for OMSAS, since Jan. 2021 and current); high school mentorship program for students in younger grades (100 hours, 3 years); in-class tutor during high school (150 hours, 3 years); notable awards include a bronze medal for youth of the year in my city in 2017 and a 2016 Rotary Youth Leadership Award (other random scholarships too totalling about $6000)

Research: no pubs or conferences, only the things listed above

Feedback I Am Looking For: MCAT rewrite for a 516+? Is my GPA enough? ECs feedback?

THANK YOU :)

23 hours ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Would love to get some insights on my own situation. I keep typing this up and deleting it because I know it's more productive to focus on my own grind and not worry about anything else, but I'm committing to actually posting it this time to just get general feedback.

Schools of Interest: UBC (IP, northern applicant); UofA; UofC; Dal; MUN; Queens; Western; NOSM; UofT; Mac

GPA: 89.65% (UBC AGPA); 3.65 (OMSAS cGPA); 3.98 (Queens 2-YR GPA); 3.86 (UofA/UofC wGPA); 85.96% (MUN cGPA); 3.87 (Western 2-YR GPA)

ECs: Islamic Relief Canada volunteer for fundraising projects (220 hours, 2 years, current); homeless shelter volunteer (150 hours, 1.5 years, current); crisis line volunteer (530 hours, 3.5 years); high school Leadership team member for school and community projects (565 hours, 3 years); sports hobby with friends (1000 hours, 9 years, current); amateur eSports player on FIFA Ultimate Team (600 hours, 4 years, current); Junior Rotary club member and chapter President for one of the years (600 hours, 4 years); university Chemistry tutor and current Director of Tutoring for past 2 years (240 hours, 3 years, current); Big Brother (70 hours, 3 years); volunteer youth soccer coach (100 hours, 2 summers); staff youth soccer coach (65 hours, 1 summer); being a dedicated Muslim, ex. memorizing 70% of the chapters in Quran off by heart (2000 hours, 11 years, current); volunteer research assistant in biochemistry research lab doing molecule extractions (650 hours, 1 summer); giving religious talks to and teaching classes to local Muslim kids (350 hours, 9 years); helping raise baby brother (5000 hours, 10 years); dealing with psoriasis through ointment applications and medication self-injections (400 hours, 8 years, current); weight loss journey of >70lbs lost (400 hours, 1.5 years, current); Honours thesis in Psychology (400 hours, 2 years, current); helping dad manage disability, ex. when he needs to shower (200 hours, 10 years, current); 'creativity' hobby, ex. writing novellas, short stories, songs, poetry, and film scripts (1000 hours, 8 years, current); iGEM wet lab (200 hours, 1 summer); high school debate team member (150 hours, 2 years); night shift crisis line staff (200 hours, 1 summer); funded independent research project in biochemistry lab investigating anti-cancer effects of extracted compounds (120 hours, 1 semester); funded research assistant in geography lab collecting data on BC human rights organizations (100 hours, 1 semester); hospital patient TV and phone services staff (1000 hours, 2.5 years); hospital volunteer and volunteer supervisor for one of the years (60 hours, 2 years); current part time employment as a child and adult counsellor at Native Friendship Centre, starting full time in May (will be 200 hours in time for UBC application and around 950 hours in time for OMSAS, since Jan. 2021 and current); high school mentorship program for students in younger grades (100 hours, 3 years); in-class tutor during high school (150 hours, 3 years); notable awards include a bronze medal for youth of the year in my city in 2017 and a 2016 Rotary Youth Leadership Award (other random scholarships too totalling about $6000)

Feedback I Am Looking For: MCAT rewrite for a 516+? Is my GPA enough? ECs feedback?

GPA wise, I think you’re solid for most of the schools you listed (maybe a little low for NOSM and Mac considering both schools look at cGPA).

As for the MCAT, I think 512 is a solid score. I personally won’t rewrite it. Western’s cut off seems to be stabilizing (two years in a row, the cut offs tend to be the same). However, if you think you can bring it up to 516+, I think you should do it especially if you are confident that you can bring up your score!

Now on to your ECs, I feel like they are very diverse! I’m sure if you write your application very well, you’ll have no problem landing an interview.

Hey everyone, so I am an IP Alberta soon-to-be applicant in the fall. I am not too worried about my objective stats, but I feel like my EC's are really terrible. I am worrying a lot about them, but they are indeed what I am passionate about (volunteering with kids and also interest in mental health). 

-volunteering with patients who have brain injuries and helping them create/meet new goals (6 months)

-Big brothers big sisters mentorship (6 months)

-tutoring junior high kids (volunteering) (6 months)

- regular Calls to those with social isolation due to Covid-19 with AHS (6 months)

-volunteering and involvement in my church (only long term one) (many years)

-volunteering with kids who have language deficits and mental health issues (7 months)

-seasonal position (customer experience rep.) of employment in high school (3 months)

- other personal activities and hobbies (e.g. losing a lot of weight with lifting/running) (3 years)

Because I don't have a lot of leadership/managerial roles or employment I feel like the rigid 4 section structure of the U of A application will hinder me more compared to the more open U of C one where I can write about the impact these experiences have had on me, and the leadership aspects of each for example (when they don't seem that they have it at face value). I really don't know if I am deluding myself into thinking I have a shot IP or not. Some people have told me I have no shot at getting in with these EC's. I would really appreciate your guys' input on my chances, and potential next steps (e.g. particular types of EC's I should aim to get) if I don't get in.

For reference; I have a 4.0, with 511 MCAT (129 CARS).

3 hours ago, KnownAir said:

Hey everyone, so I am an IP Alberta soon-to-be applicant in the fall. I am not too worried about my objective stats, but I feel like my EC's are really terrible. I am worrying a lot about them, but they are indeed what I am passionate about (volunteering with kids and also interest in mental health). 

-volunteering with patients who have brain injuries and helping them create/meet new goals (6 months)

- regular Calls to those with social isolation due to Covid-19 with AHS (6 months)

-volunteering with kids who have language deficits and mental health issues (7 months)

-seasonal position (customer experience rep.) of employment in high school (3 months)

- other personal activities and hobbies (e.g. losing a lot of weight with lifting/running) (3 years)

Because I don't have a lot of leadership/managerial roles or employment I feel like the rigid 4 section structure of the U of A application will hinder me more compared to the more open U of C one where I can write about the impact these experiences have had on me, and the leadership aspects of each for example (when they don't seem that they have it at face value). I really don't know if I am deluding myself into thinking I have a shot IP or not. Some people have told me I have no shot at getting in with these EC's. I would really appreciate your guys' input on my chances, and potential next steps (e.g. particular types of EC's I should aim to get) if I don't get in.

You would really benefit from diving in to explore the things that you are passionate about, and actively looking for opportunities to take on greater responsibilities (even within said ECs). I'm not one to spoon feed people ideas, and from what I can see of your ECs, there are a number of opportunities for you to get creative and take on leadership roles. My ECs were similar to yours at one point, but I did some research and created leadership roles for myself with the assistance of the people I reported to. 

I really wish you the best of luck!

4 hours ago, KnownAir said:

I certainly think it is worthwhile to apply. You will only know where you stand if you toss your hat into the ring, so don't be afraid to do so! I think the primary shortcoming with your ECs as it stands is that a lot of them are quite short term. Continue to spend time expanding on those roles and taking on increased responsibiltiy to improve as an applicant. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am a first year undergrad in Ontario and have had a very hard time with the online classes and losing my sports and music activities during the pandemic. My first year GPA will be quite low and I am wondering if I may still have a chance at getting into med school by applying in third year. I understand this is extremely difficult, but due to financial costs and personal family reasons, starting medical school earlier would be beneficial for me.

I was wondering if anyone thinks that getting an acceptance in third year is still possible if I manage a good MCAT score and EC's. Any advice regarding how to improve my EC's over the next year and a half would also be very appreciated.

GPA: will be around a 3.55-3.6 for first year (much better in winter semester because I figured out my study habits)

EC's so far: grocery store associate (500 hours), Mobile laboratory assistant- conducting COVID tests (600 hours), hospital volunteer (500 hours), COVID vaccination clinic volunteer (100 hours), Screener and recreation volunteer at a clinic working with kids with autism (100 hours), volunteer wildlife animal rehabilitation assistant (100 hours), figure skating beginner program assistant coach (200 hours), national/provincial/varsity rugby player (1000+ hours), high school band section leader (400 hours), piano player (600 hours), classical dancer (1000+ hours), VP for a research advancement club (50 hours), VP of a pre-med organization (50 hours), health care magazine writer (20 hours), ambassador for a sport organization, town youth council member (600 hours), high school student council representative (100 hours).

*I don't have any research experience which is something that worries me.

Any thought are much appreciated. Thank you

14 hours ago, medhopeful02 said:

Hi everyone,

I am a first year undergrad in Ontario and have had a very hard time with the online classes and losing my sports and music activities during the pandemic. My first year GPA will be quite low and I am wondering if I may still have a chance at getting into med school by applying in third year. I understand this is extremely difficult, but due to financial costs and personal family reasons, starting medical school earlier would be beneficial for me.

I was wondering if anyone thinks that getting an acceptance in third year is still possible if I manage a good MCAT score and EC's. Any advice regarding how to improve my EC's over the next year and a half would also be very appreciated.

GPA: will be around a 3.55-3.6 for first year (much better in winter semester because I figured out my study habits)

EC's so far: grocery store associate (500 hours), Mobile laboratory assistant- conducting COVID tests (600 hours), hospital volunteer (500 hours), COVID vaccination clinic volunteer (100 hours), Screener and recreation volunteer at a clinic working with kids with autism (100 hours), volunteer wildlife animal rehabilitation assistant (100 hours), figure skating beginner program assistant coach (200 hours), national/provincial/varsity rugby player (1000+ hours), high school band section leader (400 hours), piano player (600 hours), classical dancer (1000+ hours), VP for a research advancement club (50 hours), VP of a pre-med organization (50 hours), health care magazine writer (20 hours), ambassador for a sport organization, town youth council member (600 hours), high school student council representative (100 hours).

*I don't have any research experience which is something that worries me.

Any thought are much appreciated. Thank you

EC's are solid! As a third year student, you need to be pretty exceptional to get interviews and ultimately admitted, and while a 3.55-3.6 is recoverable, it's quite damaging for a 3rd year applicant. 

Hypothetically, if you were to get a 3.95-4.0 next year, your GPA when applying would be 3.75 which isn't very competitive if im being completely honest. You could maybe manage to get a queens or mac interview if your MCAT goes very well, but you'd be screened out of Ottawa and UofT because of your gpa.

Educational Stage: Graduated with a Bachelor of Medical Sciences Degree

GPA: 3.68 cGPA, 3.90 wGPA (Western - UofT). 1st year 3.22, 2nd 3.71, 3rd 3.82, and 4th (in 2019-2020) 3.98. 

MCAT: 508 (128/126/127/127) second time, wrote it during covid. (503 first time). Guys, I have serious anxiety about having to do this a third time and I will avoid it at all costs.

CASPer: Feel like I was strong at this, extremely fast typer.

Non-Academic (Extracurriculars & Volunteering): Above average

* President of a university club - 2 years
* Member of university club - 4 years
* Volunteering at a retirement home playing piano, socializing residents - 4 years
* Lifeguard - 6 years
* Swim Instructor - 2 years
* Rescue Award of Merit - resuscitated an unconscious individual while attending a concert
* Medical Assistant - 1 year, clinical experience, conducting patient assessments and compiling medical histories etc, running addiction treatment clinics.
* Pharmacy Assistant - 6 months
* Created volunteer initiative for seniors in isolating during covid-19 - 1 year
* Grade 9 RCM Piano
* Competitive Swimmer - 4 years
* University Tennis Club - 2 years
* University Ultimate Frisbee - 2 years

Research: 2 years (summer employment) conducting cancer research (no pubs), presented a poster at an oncology research conference & received the Cancer Research and Technology Transfer Scholarship from Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry

Schools of Interest: lol anyone that will take me. Canadian schools!! Preferably Ontario as I live here and they are probably my best bet. 

**I already applied for the 2020-2021 cycle and unfortunately did not receive an interview. I plan to apply for this upcoming cycle 2021-2022 and am unsure how to best improve my chances. I have a current offer to complete a one year Master of Public Health Degree or I could keep working as a Medical Assistant and gain valuable clinical experience working alongside  two physicians and continue working in family medicine and addictions treatment**

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 4:56 PM, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

EC's are excellent and so you have an excellent chance at UBC with your GPA. There is no chance at UofT with a 3.65 OMSAS GPA. You have a good CARS score so I would def shoot for Mac as well, but again the 3.65 leaves you at a very slim chance. Great chance at Queens and decent chances at the other schools as well. Good luck!

Appreciate whoever has the time to look at my WAMC
Approaching the end of my master's and feeling anxious about everything - went in hoping to explore some other possible career options besides med but am feeling disillusioned with my ability to do research. Re-considering applying to med

GPA:
Year 1: 0.89
Year 2: 3.38
Year 3: 3.55
Year 4: 3.82
Year 5: 3.85
Years 2-5 were full course loads
cGPA: 3.3
Non-degree year (3.0 credits): 3.87, will count for Queen's last 2-year GPA calc

Schools of Interest: Dal/Queens/Western

MCAT: wrote it once, non-committal, scored pretty average (will completely commit and re-do for 2022 intake)

CASPer: not taken

Education Stage: Finishing up year 2 of a research master's (in biomedical sciences) and will be writing the MCAT afterwards in time for the 2022 intake. I think it'll cumulate in a pub, and a presentation at an international conference

ECs: mostly summers were spent working (sailing coach, then several summers at a camp for children with learning disabilities). got involved in research later (iGEM, then thesis lab, 2 years total). Other ECs I did were for fun and won't add much to my application (sports/interest clubs). Some additional ECs gained from my master's (TAing, some awards, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I'm just wondering what others think of my situation for applying this summer since im quite nervous.

I'm going to be a third year applicant. I have a 3.89 CGPA (3.81 first year where I had medical issues making me go part-time for a little, then 3.97 this year). but I spoke with u of T where they will only look at my second year GPA since they dont look at any year with part time.

Im writing the mcat in august and I am aiming for a 510-515 and have been doing well in my practice thus far (my diagnostic test score was 502 (125/126/126/125).

For extracurriculars, I have worked as a tutor, am a campus tour guide, and was a musical theatre class instructor. I have close to 2000 volunteer hours from the time that you can start recording hours from either animal shelter volunteering, kids help phone, and some work with people with disabilities. I also am a club executive at my school for health equity. I have a little research experience with my local hospitals clinical research team this year but no pubs or anything.

Im applying to mac, u of t and queens this year and Mac is my dream school.

Any suggestions people have or really any comments people have would be nice. Good luck to everyone as well who's applying this year.