Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

So...this was my first post, I now have my permanent MCAT score:

Hey all! I would really appreciate any advice on Canadian schools I should maybe avoid applying to...and possibly what my chances look like..

I am a UNBSJ student heading into 4th year Bachelor of Science Biology major

My GPA : 1st year 4.0+

2nd year 3.8

3rd year 3.7 (due to 1 C+ I got from an experimental lab course ugh)

OMSAS GPA is a 3.7 or 3.8

I have 2 years research doing a student work program during school year while taking over a full course load.

1 year tutoring under privileged high schoolers (continuing again next school year)

1 year mentoring under privileged middle school child (continuing again next school year)

NSERC/WATER grant this year in same lab doing more research..may be listed on a pub. by next year but probably wont add.

MFR St. John ambulance volunteer-started this spring

member golden key society

Deans list

lots of little scholarships for low income etc.

MCAT- 04/28/12 PS-6 VR-11 BS-9 M

***new 07/06/12 PS-11 VR-11 BS-9 M ***

Not sure if some schools look at complete history/family life (holistic) but... resident of Saint John NB

I have 2 daughters under 3.

I was born in USA but have dual citizenship.

From very low income, not sure if this matters...life has been pretty against me and had no idea I could pursue my dream like this. Went back to university after taking a couple years off after high school, reason being my somewhat estranged father and grandmother who raised me died from cancer within months of each other. I saw what each had to go through so I am sure I can handle being a doctor. I am very proud of what I have overcome to get to this point

Thanks alot everyone!!

I can only speak about Ontario schools, but hopefully somebody else can help with the others.

UofT:

Your M will flag the application, but otherwise you will have no problems applying.

UWO:

The 9BS and M are below the cutoff. I don't recommend applying.

Mac:

You're OOP, but you've got a good chance if you do well on CASPer.

Queens:

They're more holistic now, so it's probably worth a shot. You never know what their minimums will be since they don't publish it.

Edit: Very unlikely though

Ottawa:

Below GPA cutoff

NOSM:

I have no idea about them honestly. The context score is a very important tool for ranking applicants, and it highly favors anybody from Northern/rural Ontario.

Hi all. I've recently just joined the forums but I've been watching them from time-to-time and I've gotten to know how things generally work but I'm a little worried now about my MCAT scores

I came out with a 28S and that may have been because of several reasons I won't get in to, but overall I got:

9 Verbal

9 PS

10 BS

So from what I see it's relatively evened out but the overall score is pretty low. My writing sample I think is fine, but do you think it's worth it to rewrite the MCAT? I think my verbal would take Western and Queens out of the picture but I'm not sure.

I won't get in to my whole application but I am just about starting applications however my GPA is somewhat problematic:

1st Year: 3.51

2nd Year: 3.53

3rd Year: 3.76

I still have my fourth year which is where I hope to boost the cGPA, and with these marks I was aiming for McMaster and UofT. I'm on the fence with Queens and Ottawa though, as people say their cutoffs vary each year and in most cases are above my marks. Any suggestions or experiences/opinions would be appreciated.

^^^ Even if you pull a near 4.0 in your 4th year, you probably won't make Ottawa cut-off unless you are from the Ottawa area. Queens looks at your last 2 years so if you pull your GPA up next year (3.8+) you can give that a try.

With your 9 VR, your chances at Mac are slim, unless you do amazing on CASPER. But given that your cGPA is not competitive, I doubt you get an interview offer.

If you took full course-load every year, calculate your U of T wGPA.

Your ECs are also taken into account so make sure you got strong ECs.

My advice to you (or anyone in general) is to apply to as many schools as you can if you got the money. We can only speculate what med schools look for based on previous applicant stats. But you'll never know for sure if you don't apply. Go to each med school's admission website and make a list of the ones that you think you qualify for. Then check the accepted/rejected/waitlisted threads for each med school on this forum and see whether your stats nearly match the stats of those applicants offered an interview or accepted.

Good luck.

Hey,

So I've wanted to go to medical school for a long time for a number of personal reasons that I feel are strong for putting in my essay etc, (I've been in contact with a couple of physicians and they agree on this point). Anyway, my academic stats are holding me back some.

GPA:

year 1 - 3.58 (3.57)

year 2 - 3.87 (3.86)

year 3 - 4.00 (3.94)

year 4 - (somewhere between 3.90 and 4.00, but that's still up in the air)

MCAT:

7-8-8 R (PS, VR, BS, WS)

As far as I know, the only schools I can really apply to are NOSM, McMaster, UCal, and MUN. (I can't do UOttawa because my wGPA is below the OOP cutoff of 3.87)

Any thoughts on my chances at these schools? Northern rural NB resident for 18ish years, originally born in ontario. Maybe I can claim connection to ontario as well as being from a northern rural area and hope for a good context score at NOSM?

Edit: Added OMSAS gpa in brackets

Just a quick comment:

You miscalculated your wGPA for Ottawa. You're above the cutoff.

might wanna look into that wGPA calc!

Sorry, I posted my non-OMSAS grades here, I'll edit them in as well. They leave me just below the cutoff (3.85 to the cutoffs 3.87)

Hi everyone, I got rejected pre-interview everywhere last year and I am reapplying as a 4th year student. Any suggestions and advice is appreciated.

IP in Ontario (Toronto)

MCAT: 12/10/10 R (PS/VR/BS)

GPA:

Year 1: 3.77

Year 2: 3.91

Year 3: 3.96

cGPA (w/o summer): 3.88 (w/ summer): 3.84

Extracurriculars:

3 years coaching youth soccer, 2 years hospital volunteering, 5 months food bank, doctor shadowing, CPR training (eventually), various school clubs and one day volunteering events, A LOT of sports, some employment, some scholarships, no research

I'd like to know what you guys think of my chances in Ontario and possibly other schools across Canada. Thanks in advance for your input!

Thank you to any and all who read this and respond :) Also sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I noticed people were talking about EC's.

I am going to start university shortly and plan (Read: Hope) to get accepted into medical school. I am more worried about EC's then grades as of right now. My main concerns are about EC's, I don't know what are a good (Read: recommended) extra-curricular activities. As well I do not know what a "good number" is, is there even a magic number for the amount of EC's. I was planning on doing something along the lines of

- Volunteering at a hospital

- Work as a porter in the summer months

- Volunteer at kid's cottage, (its a place where parents can drop off their kids when they're going through a rough time i.e. divorce, loss of income)

- I want to also get into research work, specifically cancer, nano medicine and neurology

Are there any other EC's I should do? Also what is classified as an EC, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone, I got rejected pre-interview everywhere last year and I am reapplying as a 4th year student. Any suggestions and advice is appreciated.

IP in Ontario (Toronto)

MCAT: 12/10/10 R (PS/VR/BS)

GPA:

Year 1: 3.77

Year 2: 3.91

Year 3: 3.96

cGPA (w/o summer): 3.88 (w/ summer): 3.84

Extracurriculars:

3 years coaching youth soccer, 2 years hospital volunteering, 5 months food bank, doctor shadowing, CPR training (eventually), various school clubs and one day volunteering events, A LOT of sports, some employment, some scholarships, no research

I'd like to know what you guys think of my chances in Ontario and possibly other schools across Canada. Thanks in advance for your input!

You are good to go and became familiar with the application process last year, all of which is positive. Apply broadly and let the chips fall where they may.

Hellooo everyone, I just started going through the application documents and am starting to get a little discouraged. Just wondering what my chances would be applying this year? I'm IP in Ontario.

1st yr: 3.2

2nd yr: 3.51 (damn orgo..)

3rd yr: 3.79

..going into 4th year this year

OMSAS cGPA = 3.54

MCAT: PS/VS/BS = 10/11/10 R

my ECs are alright..several clubs, hospital volunteering, lots of work with kids, research, NSERC..

i know my grades aren't the best, but what do you guys think? worth a shot anywhere?

Hellooo everyone, I just started going through the application documents and am starting to get a little discouraged. Just wondering what my chances would be applying this year? I'm IP in Ontario.

1st yr: 3.2

2nd yr: 3.51 (damn orgo..)

3rd yr: 3.79

..going into 4th year this year

OMSAS cGPA = 3.54

MCAT: PS/VS/BS = 10/11/10 R

my ECs are alright..several clubs, hospital volunteering, lots of work with kids, research, NSERC..

i know my grades aren't the best, but what do you guys think? worth a shot anywhere?

With your 11 in VR, you have a shot at Mac and Western (conditional). If you get above 3.7 this year, you have a shot at Queens too.

Hi. I'm born and raised in Ottawa. Go to McGill, and going into my last year. I'm Majoring in Pharmacology, but not doing Honours.

MCAT: PS/VS/BS = 11/9/12 O

OMSAS cGPA = 3.91

uOttawa GPA = 3.94

1st year GPA; 3.75

2nd year GPA; 3.95

3rd year GPA; 4.0

My downside are my ECs. I tutored in high school and Uni, play hockey, shadowed a doctor once, have an NSERC research grant this summer and did research last summer as well. Camp counselor. Worked in a kitchen at a resto. But that's about it. I have very little volunteering, in my opinion.

Do I have a decent shot at Ontario schools? Or should I consider applying more broadly (i.e. Calgary, McGill, UBC, Dal, maybe Ireland)?

Thanks in advance for your reply. This forum is great/extremely helpful.

EDIT: should clarify that my #1 choice would be uOttawa. I'd love to move back home.

Hi. I'm born and raised in Ottawa. Go to McGill, and going into my last year. I'm Majoring in Pharmacology, but not doing Honours.

MCAT: PS/VS/BS = 11/9/12 O

OMSAS cGPA = 3.91

uOttawa GPA = 3.94

1st year GPA; 3.75

2nd year GPA; 3.95

3rd year GPA; 4.0

My downside are my ECs. I tutored in high school and Uni, play hockey, shadowed a doctor once, have an NSERC research grant this summer and did research last summer as well. Camp counselor. Worked in a kitchen at a resto. But that's about it. I have very little volunteering, in my opinion.

Do I have a decent shot at Ontario schools? Or should I consider applying more broadly (i.e. Calgary, McGill, UBC, Dal, maybe Ireland)?

Thanks in advance for your reply. This forum is great/extremely helpful.

EDIT: should clarify that my #1 choice would be uOttawa. I'd love to move back home.

With that VR your realistic and best chances are at Ottawa and Toronto. McMaster might be reachable too.

Hi guys, I'm rather new here (have only ran into this forum a few days ago)... I was wondering what you guys think I should do and where to apply...

I wrote my mcat on July 6th, and ended up with 14/11/12/S (PS/VR/BS/WS)

I just finished my second year, with my GPAs being

1st year: 3.93 (full course load)

1st year summer: 4.0 (2 courses)

2nd year: 3.98 (full course load)

overall 3.96 (according to OMSAS), with 22 credits (as OMSAS counts them)

I took a semester course in intro to socio-legal studies, and an intro course to microeconomics (acc. to my friend @ McMaster they accept econ for social science, and UofT has it upfront on their site)....

In terms of my ECs, well,

I've volunteered in 3 hospitals in total, 2 since I was 16 (~192 hours in one, 165 and counting in another one) in various departments from hospitality & senior care to Emergency Department.

I have started up a small niche club @ university this September, running ~2.5 hours/week

I volunteered at a research lab for a small project for a semester (~10hrs/week)

I became a Peer-Tutor (voluntary position), which ran me 2.5 hours/week

and did several one-day stuff throughout the semester, plus a few clubs I dropped by casually...

Edit: Well, the reason I'm asking is b/c I saw a lot of posts which treat 3rd year applicants as hopeless, and I don't see Ottawa as being exceptionally clear about year requirements

This is a long shot, but what are my chances (if any) at Canadian med schools?

- Recently completed my 5th year of undergrad (Honours BSc)

- Y1: 2.7

Y2: 2.8

Y3: 3.1

Y4: 4.0

Y5: 4.0

cGPA ~3.4 (including a few summer courses)

- MCAT: 41S (B15, V13, P13)

- 3 years in a research lab (one volunteering, two working) - one publication

- 1 year in another lab (for thesis) - possible publication

- photographer/photo editor for student's union (2 years)

- placed positions in various photo competitions

- fundraising initiative for the Heart and Stroke foundation (2 years) - raised ~$1000 to date

- a few scholarships in the last two years

- associated with Canadian Cancer Society (5 years - not continuous)

- volunteered in two walk-in clinics for 2 years

- frosh week student leader (2 years)

- currently tutoring MCAT

Just wondering, in my first few years I also had a handful of C's and like 3 D's (physics and math... all first year courses -_-). Even with my perfect two last years (with a much heavier course load), how much would you say these grades will affect my chances at McMaster, Western, or Queens?

I really, really want this and I've worked SO hard to make up for my past but my cGPA is haunting me :(