Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hello

Well, it is the same old story again (sorry). I did my first undergrad with a 3.324 cGPA. Realizing this is low, I started a second undergrad and got 3.436 (with 11 courses) and 3.61 for best 10 in the first year. I am planning to stay for 2 more years to see if I can get a decent GPA to have a chance at UWO and Queens. I almost always get bad grades in atleast one or two course that ruins the whole year. Wrote my MCAT and got 31 (11BS,11PS, 9VR). I have good volunteer and employment record. However, with this GPA, I am completely hopeless now. I was thinking of applying to UofT, and asking them to eliminate my first year( lot of serious family problems), which if they accept my wGPA will be 3.7382.

I had to get involved in a lot of issues during my undergrad as my family doesn't have anyone else in the country to support. I think, as a human being, it was the best thing to do. But it did take away a lot of time from my studies, not to mention the stress and tension. But, I realize, it is not something that any schools would consider. Though I have completed over 70% of the OMSAS application, I feel I will be wasting that $300.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me ?

Just wondering, in my first few years I also had a handful of C's and like 3 D's (physics and math... all first year courses -_-). Even with my perfect two last years (with a much heavier course load), how much would you say these grades will affect my chances at McMaster, Western, or Queens?

I really, really want this and I've worked SO hard to make up for my past but my cGPA is haunting me :(

Western and Queens will look at your best two years, provided they were full time and at least 3/5 courses at your level of study (Western's rules).

If those 4.0 semesters were full time and with appropriate course selection, you should be find GPA wise.

McMaster on the other hand will look at everything, but GPA isn't as much of a concern if you pair it with a strong VR and casper.

Hello

Well, it is the same old story again (sorry). I did my first undergrad with a 3.324 cGPA. Realizing this is low, I started a second undergrad and got 3.436 (with 11 courses) and 3.61 for best 10 in the first year. I am planning to stay for 2 more years to see if I can get a decent GPA to have a chance at UWO and Queens. I almost always get bad grades in atleast one or two course that ruins the whole year. Wrote my MCAT and got 31 (11BS,11PS, 9VR). I have good volunteer and employment record. However, with this GPA, I am completely hopeless now. I was thinking of applying to UofT, and asking them to eliminate my first year( lot of serious family problems), which if they accept my wGPA will be 3.7382.

I had to get involved in a lot of issues during my undergrad as my family doesn't have anyone else in the country to support. I think, as a human being, it was the best thing to do. But it did take away a lot of time from my studies, not to mention the stress and tension. But, I realize, it is not something that any schools would consider. Though I have completed over 70% of the OMSAS application, I feel I will be wasting that $300.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me ?

An application towards Medical School is NEVER a waste of money. I might suggest graduate studies if you end up not getting in after ur 2nd undergrad.

So... I kind of need some guidance on where I should apply. I really want to give this a good shot. I do not care where I end up as long as it's in Canada and a med school lol.

I have a minimum 3.7/4.0 scale up to 3.9 depending on how it is weighted (UofT).

MCAT (PS VR BS) 11, 11, 9 =31M

I am a resident of Saint John N.B. and will definitely be applying to Dal and Memorial.

I would like to apply to as many Ontario schools as make sense but I have a wife and 2 kids and application fees are expensive. Not really interested in western Canada but was planning on applying as far as Alberta /Calgary if it makes sense.

Can anyone help with what schools I should put my money into?

So... I kind of need some guidance on where I should apply. I really want to give this a good shot. I do not care where I end up as long as it's in Canada and a med school lol.

I have a minimum 3.7/4.0 scale up to 3.9 depending on how it is weighted (UofT).

MCAT (PS VR BS) 11, 11, 9 =31M

I am a resident of Saint John N.B. and will definitely be applying to Dal and Memorial.

I would like to apply to as many Ontario schools as make sense but I have a wife and 2 kids and application fees are expensive. Not really interested in western Canada but was planning on applying as far as Alberta /Calgary if it makes sense.

Can anyone help with what schools I should put my money into?

I strongly believe your best shot is Dalhousie since you'll be an in province and you have strong gpa, mcats and because of your age. Ottawa, Mac, Toronto and Queen's are good options I think for you. I would stay away from Western, if money is tight, cause that 9 in BS is low by their standards, I believe, though your mature status may help you with that.

Also I don't know how schools looks at the WS of the MCAt but an M is fairly low, which may give you some problems but I don't think it will hinder your apps in any major way.

In conclusion, you have decent shot at all Ontario schools (except maybe NOSM and Western) so even though applications cost a lot of money i think it would be worth it if you get some interviews out of it and hopefully get into a med school.

I strongly believe your best shot is Dalhousie since you'll be an in province and you have strong gpa, mcats and because of your age. Ottawa, Mac, Toronto and Queen's are good options I think for you. I would stay away from Western, if money is tight, cause that 9 in BS is low by their standards, I believe, though your mature status may help you with that.

Also I don't know how schools looks at the WS of the MCAt but an M is fairly low, which may give you some problems but I don't think it will hinder your apps in any major way.

In conclusion, you have decent shot at all Ontario schools (except maybe NOSM and Western) so even though applications cost a lot of money i think it would be worth it if you get some interviews out of it and hopefully get into a med school.

Thanks so much for your input. When I checked Ottawa they seemed to have a high GPA cut off I do not think I meet. I believe I will apply Toronto, Queens, Mac, in addition to Dal and Memorial. What about Mcgill? and also some more western schools.. know anything about Alberta and Calgary. (even Manitoba or Saskatchewan...not really into BC)

Thanks so much for your input. When I checked Ottawa they seemed to have a high GPA cut off I do not think I meet. I believe I will apply Toronto, Queens, Mac, in addition to Dal and Memorial. What about Mcgill? and also some more western schools.. know anything about Alberta and Calgary. (even Manitoba or Saskatchewan...not really into BC)

Don't waste your money on McGill since they only take like 1 person out of province and last year (or 2 years ago) they took zero O of P. Your MCATs is too low for manitoba (I'm in the same boat) and I don't have any solid info about the others.

Gpa (to all the schools I'm thinking of applying):

Dalhousie University = 3.92

University of Calgary = 3.83

University of Toronto = 3.88

University of Ottawa = 3.86

Queen's University = 3.92

McMaster University = 3.64

MCAT: 9/10/11/R

- 2 publications, 300+ hrs of volunteering in a research lab, 300+ hrs of volunteering in a senior centre, dean's list, chess club, entrance scholarship, some course scholarships, TAed multiple courses, trilingual and I believe strong reference letters. There is probably a little more but I can't remember them.

So I'm a Toronto resident and I just recently got my BSc from Western. If I had my pick of the litter I would choose to go to Toronto (5 min from my house) but in all honesty I would go anywhere. What are my chances to get some interviews and if you guys have any tips on how to improve my chances it would be greatly appreciated.

How in the world do you only get a 30 MCAT with a 3.85+ GPA? Heck, I'm at UofT with a 3.3 cGPA and I STARTED at a 27 MCAT and get 30 without studying anything..... Bull**** differences in GPA! I so wish I went to anywhere but UofT...

How in the world do you only get a 30 MCAT with a 3.85+ GPA? Heck, I'm at UofT with a 3.3 cGPA and I STARTED at a 27 MCAT and get 30 without studying anything..... Bull**** differences in GPA! I so wish I went to anywhere but UofT...

Everyone can have a bad day...

Everyone can have a bad day...

Haha you said it man. I felt like crap the entire day and it didn't help that I had allergies and I wrote it in allergy season. But that's one of the reason I'm only applying to those schools since I think a 30 meets their cutoffs or they don't require mcat or only take VR. And I hate first year, drags the rest of the years down like an anchor.

We all wish you did. This way you would stop bashing everyone who did not go to UT. Almost every post of yours includes you *****ing about UT and degrading other universities.

Varsity's not invincible, they tremble at the news,

of Queen's College Colours, and are shaking in their shoes...

:D

Hi everyone,

I'm an Ontario undergrad thinking of applying to medical schools outside of Ontario, but don't know enough about them to decide where to apply. Here's a bit about me:

4th yr undergrad

IP Ontario -> SWOMEN

GPA:

Year 1 = 3.93

Year 2 = 3.93

Year 3 = 3.97

OMSAS/ cumulative GPA = 3.94

UManitoba GPA = 4.30

cumulative average = 90.2%

MCAT:

(PS/VR/BS/WS) = 13/11/12/Q

EC's:

Bad... no research, limited hospital volunteering

Good... lots of shadowing in the summer just before 1st year, musical performances, clubs, intramurals, charity bike rides...many unorganized/ solo activities such as biking, scottish dances, canoe camping.

Courses:

All Sciences prereqs have been met, but I haven't taken any English or Math.

I plan on applying to all of the Ontario schools except for NOSM. I'm considering NOSM, UManitoba, and UCalgary, but am not sure of my chances. Are there any other out-of-Ontario schools that focus heavily on academics for OOP applicants?

Thanks in advance for your help! I appreciate it!

You haven't even taken the mcat yet. stfu.

Many circumstances can lead to a low MCAT score, just as they can lead to a low GPA. Is it really a good idea to be bashing others and complaining about the university you chose to attend?

It is as easy to point fingers and make excuses as it is useless. Hard work pays off everywhere; three of my colleagues from highschool are currently premeds attending respectable programs at UoT and have 3.9+ cGPA's - it can be done. Perhaps all that energy channeled into complaining would be better spent on improving?

Kovah, apply @ McGill. :)

Hi everyone,

I'm an Ontario undergrad thinking of applying to medical schools outside of Ontario, but don't know enough about them to decide where to apply. Here's a bit about me:

4th yr undergrad

IP Ontario -> SWOMEN

GPA:

Year 1 = 3.93

Year 2 = 3.93

Year 3 = 3.97

OMSAS/ cumulative GPA = 3.94

UManitoba GPA = 4.30

cumulative average = 90.2%

MCAT:

(PS/VR/BS/WS) = 13/11/12/Q

EC's:

Bad... no research, limited hospital volunteering

Good... lots of shadowing in the summer just before 1st year, musical performances, clubs, intramurals, charity bike rides...many unorganized/ solo activities such as biking, scottish dances, canoe camping.

I plan on applying to all of the Ontario schools except for NOSM. I'm considering NOSM, UManitoba, and UCalgary, but am not sure of my chances. Are there any other out-of-Ontario schools that focus heavily on academics for OOP applicants?

Thanks in advance for your help! I appreciate it!

Which university do you go to? The difference between your GPA (3.86) and MCAT (23) hurts me. :( lol. I have a 3.3 and got 25... on my diagnostic. Did you not study at all? Anything distracting you?

I don't get it.

tons of people are good at one but not so good at the other