Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hi,

I just finished CEJEP in Montreal, and moved to Toronto in psychology where I am actually taking science classes. My prerequisites for Pre-Med at Mcgill are complete but I didn't get good grades, that's why I took the MCATs and got a really good score (36). So my question is: Can I apply to Pre-med at Mc Gill even though I'm not a CEJEP student anymore? I will have complete one semester at university by the time I apply at Mc gill (15 credits)...

Thank you

No you can't:

(Anyway they would look at your R-Score and you say it's not good...)

''Applicants to the Med-P program must not:

have registered in any other post-secondary program (*1).

(*1) Exceptions made for students entering a remedial program before their first DEC program.''

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/programs/med-p-requirements

Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong thread BUT:

do they look at your most recent or best MCAT Score? Any guidance would be appreciated as this is the difference between me applying to many schools or only a select few.

thanks,

uk3s

It depends on the school. I recommend checking out each school's website individually.

Hey guys, first post here.

Last 3 year GPA - 3.88

Best/Last 2 year GPA - 3.92

MCAT, going to write, scoring from 35-39 on practice.

ECs - Broad range of activities with extended timeframes plus the necessary shadowing, lab work etc.

Schools I'm looking into: Western, Ottawa, Queens, Calgary, Dalhousie, McGill

How does it stack up if I get balanced MCAT around 35?

Hey guys, first post here.

Last 3 year GPA - 3.88

Best/Last 2 year GPA - 3.92

MCAT, going to write, scoring from 35-39 on practice.

ECs - Broad range of activities with extended timeframes plus the necessary shadowing, lab work etc.

Schools I'm looking into: Western, Ottawa, Queens, Calgary, Dalhousie, McGill

How does it stack up if I get balanced MCAT around 35?

You'll be competitive at any school in Canada with a balanced MCAT

Right. Even at McGill though? I hear they only have something like 8 spots available for out of province students.

If you don't mind putting in the time, you have a shot at being one of the 8

You'll be competitive at any school in Canada with a balanced MCAT

If you don't mind putting in the time, you have a shot at being one of the 8

You know this for a fact? What I mean is do you have any info or idea of what the McGill OOP class stats were? It think the 3.88 would make things difficult. Seems like you'd need 3.95+ based purely on the fact that there are so few spots.

You know this for a fact? What I mean is do you have any info or idea of what the McGill OOP class stats were? It think the 3.88 would make things difficult. Seems like you'd need 3.95+ based purely on the fact that there are so few spots.

For OOP's

2010: 599 applicants, 9 admitted, average GPA 3.92

2011: 923 applicants, 10 admitted, average GPA 3.93

2012: 720 applicants, 12 admitted, average GPA 3.94

"In recent years, of those submit their MCAT results for review, the average of the overall MCAT score was approximately 35."

For OOP's

"In recent years, of those submit their MCAT results for review, the average of the overall MCAT score was approximately 35."

Holy, these are some high numbers.

For OOP's

Thanks for the info!!

No you can't:

(Anyway they would look at your R-Score and you say it's not good...)

''Applicants to the Med-P program must not:

have registered in any other post-secondary program (*1).

(*1) Exceptions made for students entering a remedial program before their first DEC program.''

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/programs/med-p-requirements

All right thank you! But do you think that UdeM would take into consideration my MCATs then ? (or any other Qc university?)

was wondering if you guys could comment on the strength of my EC's and suggest areas were they can be improved,

worked full time in same restaurant for 6 years (1.5 year host, 3 years server, 1.5 to present supervisor/assisitant manager)

200 hours hospital volunteering (2years)

1 NSERC (biological oceanography)

volunteered in same lab for 8 months - 150 hours

soccer all of university - 4 hours a week (3 years)

club executive for 2 years

Thanks

was wondering if you guys could comment on the strength of my EC's and suggest areas were they can be improved,

worked full time in same restaurant for 6 years (1.5 year host, 3 years server, 1.5 to present supervisor/assisitant manager)

200 hours hospital volunteering (2years)

1 NSERC (biological oceanography)

volunteered in same lab for 8 months - 150 hours

soccer all of university - 4 hours a week (3 years)

club executive for 2 years

Thanks

These are strong ECs. I guess you could improve them by doing some of these:

- publications

- increase the diversity of your activities

- Olympic medal

These aren't essential (except perhaps the olympic medal), but they would probably increase the strength of your application.

These are strong ECs. I guess you could improve them by doing some of these:

- publications

- increase the diversity of your activities

- Olympic medal

These aren't essential (except perhaps the olympic medal), but they would probably increase the strength of your application.

Is that a troll comment? :D

MCAT: 34S (12 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS)

cGPA: 3.76 [last two years 3.92, 3.94]

Graduated this year, degree in engineering (Co-op). Spent the summer studying for the MCAT.

Notes:

-I took 5-7 courses each semester (equivalent, usually only 5-6) so for UofT my average is 4.0 or very close to (3.9).

-I took co-op so if Queens counts my last 2 years, which are broken up, my average is 3.92-94+. I really hope they do this instead of taking my cGPA.. My last two-three years are amazing. My first two mess up everything.

ECs: Exec at a few clubs. Only 150ish hours at hospital over 1.5 years. No publications. Trying to get a research job right now in case I have to reapply of course. There are more of course but more minor.

What are my chances for Queen's, UofT, McMaster, and Western? Or chances for interview?

MCAT: 34S (12 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS)

cGPA: 3.76

Graduated this year, degree in engineering (Co-op). Spent the summer studying for the MCAT.

Notes:

-I took 5-7 courses each semester (equivalent, usually only 5-6) so for UofT my average is 4.0 or very close to (3.9).

-I took co-op so if Queens counts my last 2 years, which are broken up, my average is 3.96+. I really hope they do this instead of taking my cGPA.. My last two-three years are amazing. My first two mess up everything.

ECs: Exec at a few clubs. Only 150ish hours at hospital over 1.5 years. No publications. Trying to get a research job right now in case I have to reapply of course. There are more of course but more minor.

What are my chances for Queen's, UofT, McMaster, and Western? Or chances for interview?

You're in good shape for all of them.

You're fine for Queen's, it's going to come down to your sketch.

You should have (most likely) a guaranteed interview at Western since you have 2 years of 3.70+. You're above the MCAT cutoff in every section, so congrats!

The wGPA for UofT will help you a lot, so it comes down to your essays.

Your VR is great for Mac, and your cGPA is pretty much average. Just rock CASPer and you'll get an interview.

Good luck! :)

DON'T MAKE A NEW THREAD, unless you have read this flow chart and have performed a search for previous threads. And Stop Making "What Are My Chances Threads"

med-school-admissions-flow-chart.jpg

What are my Chances for medical school?

Hey there, LOVE THIS CHART. I wanted to print it out and put it on my wall. Would you happen to have it in a higher quality version?

Awesome work :)

Hey guys, I was hoping you guys could tell me what my chances are realistically.

GPA: UoT (3.88), Queen's (3.92), Dalhousie (3.92), Ottawa (3.86), Mac (3.64)

My GPA increased every year but my first year was an embarrassment (health issues).

MCAT: 9PS/10VR/11BS/R

ECs: 1000+hrs of research (1 pub, 1 poster), 600+ senior centre volunteering, TAing, Tutoring, few clubs.

Hmm, the fact that you're asking this question implies a severe lack of confidence or a poor understanding of statistics. Don't bother applying.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share my situation and get your opinions or feedback.

I studied engineering for 5 years (co-op) as my undergraduate. Graduated with 2 years of work experience at several different companies in different roles and currently working as a consultant for a very large company. After all my different experiences, I have decided that I want to pursue my passion of becoming a doctor.

I've always had my eye on becoming a doctor even before entering university, but I was too chicken to pull the trigger. I was worried that if I didn't make it, I may be stuck with a science degree and the job opportunities with this degree were not ones that I was interested in. So here I am, weeks before officially submitting my resignation to my company. I've already signed up for school to take a bunch of prerequisites that I never took during my engineering degree (e.g. bio, chem, etc.). I just calculated my GPA and it looks like i'm around 3.7 cumulatively. Looking at admission averages for universities in Canada, I feel like this GPA may not be that competitive as I've seen many schools with averages above 3.8. Will schools take into account that I took engineering as my undergraduate degree?

Also, as I was in engineering, I don't really have any 'research'. I used to do a LOT of volunteer work before university (volunteered at hospitals, long term care centres, day camps, etc. easily hundreds of hours of volunteer work) not sure if that counts but during university I was so busy that I didn't have time to do any volunteering so I feel like that area is also lacking.

Assuming I do well on my prereqs over the next 2 terms, do well on the MCAT, put in some more current volunteer hours, do I stand much of a chance? Just wanted to make sure that I'm not quitting my job for nothing... Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks for reading.

3.7 is competitive enough to have a shot and you could boost it with the courses you're taking. It's not really an asset but it meets most (not all) of the cutoffs and is in the ballpark.

You don't need research on your application. Lots of people don't have / don't like research.

You might reconsider quitting your job right now though. You won't be able to apply until the next cycle, which would mean your first crack would be for Sept. 2014 admittance. Even if you get in first try that's basically 2 years between not and then. And as you know, it takes multiple application cycles for most people.

3.7 is competitive enough to have a shot and you could boost it with the courses you're taking. It's not really an asset but it meets most (not all) of the cutoffs and is in the ballpark.

You don't need research on your application. Lots of people don't have / don't like research.

You might reconsider quitting your job right now though. You won't be able to apply until the next cycle, which would mean your first crack would be for Sept. 2014 admittance. Even if you get in first try that's basically 2 years between not and then. And as you know, it takes multiple application cycles for most people.

Thanks for your response. I noticed that I meet most of the cutoffs, but it just doesn't feel "competitive" to me. Does being in engineering have any benefit when adcoms see my lower GPA?

I would have to quit my job in order to take pre-requisites for possible admission in Sept 2014. I would be taking two terms of pre-requisites from Jan 2013 - Aug 2013 in order to apply during Fall 2013.