Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering about my stats too.. hopefully someone can give me some feedback?

Ontario resident

3rd year applicant

1st year: 3.92

2nd year: 3.98

CGPA: 3.96

abs: Some club exec positions, research for 2 summers and reasearch volunteer over the school year (NSERC + External Scholarship), few university awards, hospital volunteering.

MCAT: 9PS/10BS/6VR (It was a brutal summer for me:( )

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

GPA is excellent,

just need to rewrite the MCAT which i think you'll do well on + being a 4th year applicant is a great thing

Hey guys,

I'm not sure how my stats look and could use some feedback. I'm a little concerned because my undergraduate career has been really convoluted. It's spanned 7 (!) years, 3 or 4 majors, and 2 schools. Any insight as to where I should apply (and whether or not I am a hopeless case) would be welcome :).

All years have full course loads unless otherwise specified.

Year 1: 2.86

Year 2: 3.43

Year 3: 3.76

Year 4: 2.65 but only for 1.0 credit. I withdrew from 3 classes 1st semester, and all of them second semester. (Long story short, I changed majors and then transferred schools. Ended up missing the deadline to withdrawn and get my money back. Also had some pretty severe mental health issues.)

Year 5: 3.38

Year 6: 3.80

Year 7: 3.90+ (right now I think it's a 3.94, and it should be going up)

Have yet to take the MCAT. IP for Ontario, non SWOMEN. Western 3/5 rule met for my most recent 2 years. I posted a thread about my ECs here.

I also have a couple questions.

1. 7 years + a bunch of withdrawals. I know that looks bad, I'd just like to know how bad.

2. I *might* actually have enough credits to apply for 2 degrees, one from each school I attended. In that case, how would I be evaluated by schools that only look at your most recent degree? Would the more recent degree be the one with the more recent coursework? Or is it based on the date that the degree is actually awarded?

Thanks in advance. Whether good or bad, it'll be nice to have an idea of where I stand.

Hey guys,

I'm not sure how my stats look and could use some feedback. I'm a little concerned because my undergraduate career has been really convoluted. It's spanned 7 (!) years, 3 or 4 majors, and 2 schools. Any insight as to where I should apply (and whether or not I am a hopeless case) would be welcome :).

All years have full course loads unless otherwise specified.

Year 1: 2.86

Year 2: 3.43

Year 3: 3.76

Year 4: 2.65 but only for 1.0 credit. I withdrew from 3 classes 1st semester, and all of them second semester. (Long story short, I changed majors and then transferred schools. Ended up missing the deadline to withdrawn and get my money back. Also had some pretty severe mental health issues.)

Year 5: 3.38

Year 6: 3.80

Year 7: 3.90+ (right now I think it's a 3.94, and it should be going up)

Have yet to take the MCAT. IP for Ontario, non SWOMEN. Western 3/5 rule met for my most recent 2 years. I posted a thread about my ECs here.

I also have a couple questions.

1. 7 years + a bunch of withdrawals. I know that looks bad, I'd just like to know how bad.

2. I *might* actually have enough credits to apply for 2 degrees, one from each school I attended. In that case, how would I be evaluated by schools that only look at your most recent degree? Would the more recent degree be the one with the more recent coursework? Or is it based on the date that the degree is actually awarded?

Thanks in advance. Whether good or bad, it'll be nice to have an idea of where I stand.

Depending on your MCAT you actually have a decent shot at UWO and Queens. Do you have 5 courses/semester and at least 60% higher level courses in each of those years (so if you're in third year, at least 6/10 of your courses have to be third level courses, etc)?

Mac is out of the question since they'll take all your grades and those first few years will bring you down. Same for UofT. UOttawa could work if you're in the Ottawa region since your weighted GPA is 3.8 and they require at least a 3.7ish for Ottawa residents.

I'm not sure about the 2 degrees. Some schools may be a little bit weary of the lower grades but you can explain this in the sections provided for extenuating circumstances and this may get you some leeway. Good luck!

Thanks for the response :)!

Yes, for my last two years (including this one), at least 60% of my courses are at the 3rd/4th year level. A mix is acceptable, yes? (There aren't very many 4th year courses offered for my program.)

I am not from the Ottawa region, so sadly that's not an option. Can you get Ottawa residency status if you move there, or is it like SWOMEN where you need to have have attended high school in the area?

For Mac: I know from the stats that some people get in with marks in the 3.00 - 3.49/3.5 - 3.59 range, and I think I'm going to end up around a 3.5. Should I assume that most of these people got in with the benefit of the grad student bonus, or is it possible to make up for a mediocre GPA with an excellent CASPer/VR score?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the response :)!

Yes, for my last two years (including this one), at least 60% of my courses are at the 3rd/4th year level. A mix is acceptable, yes? (There aren't very many 4th year courses offered for my program.)

I am not from the Ottawa region, so sadly that's not an option. Can you get Ottawa residency status if you move there, or is it like SWOMEN where you need to have have attended high school in the area?

For Mac: I know from the stats that some people get in with marks in the 3.00 - 3.49/3.5 - 3.59 range, and I think I'm going to end up around a 3.5. Should I assume that most of these people got in with the benefit of the grad student bonus, or is it possible to make up for a mediocre GPA with an excellent CASPer/VR score?

Thanks again!

The Grad bonus would certainly help, but technically an excellent VR and CASPer are completely sufficient. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but VR is the less variable score (since we really have no idea how they score CASPer).

If you got a 15 VR (hypothetically), you would be in a great position even though your GPA is ~3.5. Realistically if you had 11+ and you do well on CASPer, I think you'll have a decent shot.

• 2 weeks later...
What are your realistic chances at even getting an interview with a 4.0 and just about average ECs as a 3rd year at UofT and Mac?

By average ECs I mean all the hospital volunteering, summer research projects, tutoring, minor leadership and a few really long term commitments.

From what I've come to learn on here, a 4.0 will guarantee it.

What are your realistic chances at even getting an interview with a 4.0 and just about average ECs as a 3rd year at UofT and Mac?

By average ECs I mean all the hospital volunteering, summer research projects, tutoring, minor leadership and a few really long term commitments.

I'm in a similar situation, so I'd like to say that you have good odds :)

Hello!

Pretty new to this forum, but I thought it'd be a good place to get some realistic answers bounced back at me.

I'm in my third year of my undergrad and I'm thinking of applying next year - the only problem is that my GPA from first year and second year are mediocre. The first was an adjustment issue, the second...I can't even excuse myself. Anyways, the rest of my application seems to be alright: extra-currics (i volunteer with university events, volunteered at the hospital doing art with patients, currently volunteering (and did a one year internship) with an autism services centre, going to tanzania for 10 weeks this upcoming summer to do health education + medical supply distribution + active work in the villages, and am currently working at a clinic part-time during school, i did research for the last two summers and am going to be helping plan a global health symposium in the next summer in coordination with the global health initiative at our university) and my mcat scores were pretty good (did well across the board except for a slightly lower mark in physical sciences).

I'm planning to write the mcat once more when I return from Africa later this summer but I'm wondering what to do regarding my GPA - I don't want to take another year of undergrad! Is it possible to get in anywhere without doing so? I was also thinking maybe if I took an extra course for the remaining semesters, I'd be able to increase the number of viable courses in my gpa calculation....

Any thoughts/feedback are greatly appreciated!!

Hello!

Pretty new to this forum, but I thought it'd be a good place to get some realistic answers bounced back at me.

I'm in my third year of my undergrad and I'm thinking of applying next year - the only problem is that my GPA from first year and second year are mediocre. The first was an adjustment issue, the second...I can't even excuse myself. Anyways, the rest of my application seems to be alright: extra-currics (i volunteer with university events, volunteered at the hospital doing art with patients, currently volunteering (and did a one year internship) with an autism services centre, going to tanzania for 10 weeks this upcoming summer to do health education + medical supply distribution + active work in the villages, and am currently working at a clinic part-time during school, i did research for the last two summers and am going to be helping plan a global health symposium in the next summer in coordination with the global health initiative at our university) and my mcat scores were pretty good (did well across the board except for a slightly lower mark in physical sciences).

I'm planning to write the mcat once more when I return from Africa later this summer but I'm wondering what to do regarding my GPA - I don't want to take another year of undergrad! Is it possible to get in anywhere without doing so? I was also thinking maybe if I took an extra course for the remaining semesters, I'd be able to increase the number of viable courses in my gpa calculation....

Any thoughts/feedback are greatly appreciated!!

Hi there,

Your ECs seem fine, but it's impossible to comment on your chances without knowing your GPA and MCAT.

Thanks to everyone who replied! Haha, yes I was deliberately avoiding posting my exact GPA - just a little hesitant to do so online :P Yes, both first and second year have been full course loads (5 courses) I've taken and completed required prerequisite courses for most Canadian med schools. I'm in Biological Sciences major (and a sociology minor) and only require 4 more higher level (300 or 400 level) science courses and 2 in my minor to complete my degree. If I were to get 4.0s in all my remaining courses (this upcoming winter, next fall and next winter) with only 5 courses each, I would end up with approx 3.4~

Of course, the normal response would be to ask why my final two years would be different from my first two, but my grades have been showing a clear upwards trend, so I'm hoping for the best. Would buckling down some more and taking an additional course each semester help boost the GPA for end of 4th?

Oh, and MCAT scores for my last attempt : VR-11 BS-11 PS:9 Writing Sample: Q

(I'm planning to write it once more this summer!)

Thanks again :)

Thanks to everyone who replied! Haha, yes I was deliberately avoiding posting my exact GPA - just a little hesitant to do so online :P Yes, both first and second year have been full course loads (5 courses) I've taken and completed required prerequisite courses for most Canadian med schools. I'm in Biological Sciences major (and a sociology minor) and only require 4 more higher level (300 or 400 level) science courses and 2 in my minor to complete my degree. If I were to get 4.0s in all my remaining courses (this upcoming winter, next fall and next winter) with only 5 courses each, I would end up with approx 3.4~

Of course, the normal response would be to ask why my final two years would be different from my first two, but my grades have been showing a clear upwards trend, so I'm hoping for the best. Would buckling down some more and taking an additional course each semester help boost the GPA for end of 4th?

Oh, and MCAT scores for my last attempt : VR-11 BS-11 PS:9 Writing Sample: Q

(I'm planning to write it once more this summer!)

Thanks again :)

Thank you for adding additional information. It's now easier to help you.

I do not recommend re-writing your MCAT. If you can get two years that are 3.70+, you will get an interview at Western. I think that the best thing you can do is either take a 5th year of undergrad, or take a second degree. Your MCAT is fine (you should be proud of the 11VR), but your GPA could be improved.

Ahh, I see. I'd like to avoid taking an extra year as much as possible... are there any possible alternatives? Any Canadian schools that I have a shot at? I know U of C looks at the academic trend and places a lot more weight on the interview.

Or McMasters? The average entrance GPA seems to be a bit lower there, with a heavier emphasis on interpersonal skills/decision-making abilities etc.

Ahh, I see. I'd like to avoid taking an extra year as much as possible... are there any possible alternatives? Any Canadian schools that I have a shot at? I know U of C looks at the academic trend and places a lot more weight on the interview.

Or McMasters? The average entrance GPA seems to be a bit lower there, with a heavier emphasis on interpersonal skills/decision-making abilities etc.

Other than Mac, your Ontario chances aren't looking very good. The UofT weighting formula might save you, but I don't have enough information to comment on this.

As for Mac, your VR and GPA will make you a below average applicant based on last years stats. The stats will likely be higher this year due to the reduced emphasis on CASPer. In order to have a good shot at McMaster, you will need a very good CASPer performance.

I strongly suggest doing another degree or at least another year. A Master's degree will not help you at all, since your GPA is not border-line (it's not competitive at all in its current state). Just because your GPA is currently not competitive, it doesn't mean that you can't recover. Many successful applicants have gone this route. I suggest checking out the non-traditional applicants section.

Best of luck! :)

PS. What is your residential status? Depending on this, you may have a chance at a few other schools.

Western only looks at your best two years, but each of them (not the average) has to be at or above a 3.70, contain a full course load, and meet the year level requirements (60% of the courses at your year level or above, with some mix of 3rd and 4th year courses in your 4th year). On the bright side, you meet the VR cut off, which is the real barrier for most people. :)

Queens will look at the average of your last two years if you don't meet the cGPA cut off. Full time for them is 3.0 credits or more so that's not an issue.

Taking extra courses won't really boost your GPA (as in, won't make the year count for more), but if you take >5.0 credits then Western will drop some marks for you (if you take 6.0 credits it will drop your lowest 1.0 credit(s), 5.5 and it drops 0.5, etc).

Is it possible for this year's GPA to be above a 3.70? If it does, and if it's full-time and meets the course load requirements (Western is pretty strict about that!) then you can avoid a 5th year if you do really well next year.

If you did poorly this semester, but you're reaaaaaaaaaally set on not doing that 5th year, you could hypothetically take more than 5 courses this coming semester, and Western would drop some of the fall semester's marks. But honestly, that sounds like it would be pretty grueling. If you do decide to go down that route you should double check with Western first.

Hope that helps.