Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

do you speak French? try the other french schools like sherbrooke, you'll definitely get an interview

OOP is insanely hard because quebec government allots the number of seats, and everyone applies to mcgill

I do speak French fluently, but I probably wouldn't be comfortable enough to study Medicine in French with all the terminology... all other Quebec schools operate in French, do they not?

I do speak French fluently, but I probably wouldn't be comfortable enough to study Medicine in French with all the terminology... all other Quebec schools operate in French, do they not?

they do

you should probably visit the quebec medical schools section to learn more about them

well you would learn all that - I would be careful having that hold you back :)

Knowing french can be very useful in this "game"

How are my chances at OOP schools?

I'll give a response that is actually helpful.

McGill: OOP is extremely competitive, but you might have a chance. Don't submit your MCAT score, since it's too low for it to be beneficial.

Calgary: Your verbal will hurt you

Alberta: Your cumulative score on the MCAT is on the lower end, but you have a chance if your ECs are really good

Sask/Man: MCAT too low

UBC: It's worth applying for sure. You're probably going to end up with 50/50 AQ, and your NAQ will probably be high enough to get an interview.

Dal/Mun: I don't know a lot about these, but I think you've got a fair shot

Looking for any advice and potential places I could get accepted.

Ontario student, 4th year next cycle

cGPA: 3.94~

MCAT: 10-9-11 (9 in VR) :( :(

ECs: well-rounded and above average

The 9 in VR is killing me. I know most will say to rewrite the MCAT, but I believe the 9 is the best I can do in VR and am fortunate for that result.

Is there anyone in Canada who will take me? What are my chances across the country? I know UWO and Queens are out for Ontario

Please advise me :(

If good ECs, McGill and U/O. If Casper good, MAC. Apply U/T.

I'd apply to Ottawa even if your ECs aren't great. Mine are below average and I still got an interview, so it's hard to know what they're looking for.

Yeah helpful but also very hurtful.

He's got a fair chance at getting an interview at 7 schools (UofT, uOttawa, UBC, Alberta, Dal, MUN, Mac). At the very least it is worth applying to all of these schools, in addition to a few others that are less likely (ie. Calgary)

I don't find that very hurtful at all.

I'll give a response that is actually helpful.

McGill: OOP is extremely competitive, but you might have a chance. Don't submit your MCAT score, since it's too low for it to be beneficial.

Calgary: Your verbal will hurt you

Alberta: Your cumulative score on the MCAT is on the lower end, but you have a chance if your ECs are really good

Sask/Man: MCAT too low

UBC: It's worth applying for sure. You're probably going to end up with 50/50 AQ, and your NAQ will probably be high enough to get an interview.

Dal/Mun: I don't know a lot about these, but I think you've got a fair shot

Definitely helpful and exactly what I was looking for :) Thanks mate. I feel like if I can get a few OOP interviews, I have a good shot since the waitlist moves a lot in those schools.

Definitely helpful and exactly what I was looking for :) Thanks mate. I feel like if I can get a few OOP interviews, I have a good shot since the waitlist moves a lot in those schools.

No problem! :)

If your ECs are as good as you say, UBC is probably your best chance as an OOP applicant.

Hey guys, been reading these forums for a while but only just made an account. Here is my situation:

-in 3rd year of BSc at McGill

-Ontario resident but also considered IP for Quebec

cGPA: 3.97

Basic science GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 33Q (10, 11, 12)

ECs: Rather weak unfortunately

-member of campus first response team as of last September, will be applying for a leadership position on the team next year

-employed part-time since the summer of 2009 at the same job (administrative work, nothing special)

-Red Cross First Responder certification

-various small things (helping with conferences, doctor shadowing etc.)

-planning on volunteering in a local hospital this summer, and potentially volunteering in a research lab, as well as applying to be a TA in my anatomy lab for next fall

Do you guys think I have a decent chance at McGill, Dalhousie, or any of the Ontario schools? I know my EC's are my major weakness, and I am going to be working on strengthening those over the next year.

Appreciate any feedback!

I've always been reading these threads, but never actually posted so here goes.

I'm in an Honors Neuroscience degree,

Y1: 3.4

Y2: 3.5

MCAT: Haven't written it yet, but will soon

ECs:

- exec in a student group

- been tutoring immigrant students etc for a couple years now which is a part of the tons of volunteer experience with community (organizing events, tutoring kids, working there during the summer at day camps etc) - I hope this makes me look consistent since I've been doing this for about 5 years

- during highschool I had an internship at university, spent it working in a lab, I still help the prof out at various events (show up and talk about what I did that summer- encourage students to do summer research program as well)

- another year spent researching (this time in uni, planning to take research courses and volunteer with a neuroprof)

- I also went traveling for four months, went to several third world countries, not with a organization or anything, just wanted to pursue my interests in finding out about third world countries, seeing what it was like to live there. My dream is to work with international aid agencies like doctors without borders, UN, Red Cross etc as a doctor, and after this trip, I want to do this more than ever.

- I can get several letters of recommendation (two REALLY good ones, and others from the places where I've only been volunteering for a couple of months if that helps at all)

- I am also a visible minority. Dunno if that helps but thought I'd just throw that out there

That's pretty much it. Haha I know my grades need a lot of work, but still, how does that look? Considering everything. I don't care, I'm going to continue to apply to med schools until I get in. I'm in my 3rd year right now, will pull off a 3.7/3.8 this year, and hopefully next year near a 4.0.

In all honesty, the biggest hurdle for me is scoring an interview- basically my grades are standing in the way. I KNOW if I get a chance in the interview I can do really well.

I just want to know what schools would be good for me to apply to. And if anyone has links to the cutoff gpa for universities in Canada, please let me know!

I basically wrote a novel lol but thanks for reading. Be brutally honest. Thanks!

I've always been reading these threads, but never actually posted so here goes.

I'm in an Honors Neuroscience degree,

Y1: 3.4

Y2: 3.5

MCAT: Haven't written it yet, but will soon

ECs:

- exec in a student group

- been tutoring immigrant students etc for a couple years now which is a part of the tons of volunteer experience with community (organizing events, tutoring kids, working there during the summer at day camps etc) - I hope this makes me look consistent since I've been doing this for about 5 years

- during highschool I had an internship at university, spent it working in a lab, I still help the prof out at various events (show up and talk about what I did that summer- encourage students to do summer research program as well)

- another year spent researching (this time in uni, planning to take research courses and volunteer with a neuroprof)

- I also went traveling for four months, went to several third world countries, not with a organization or anything, just wanted to pursue my interests in finding out about third world countries, seeing what it was like to live there. My dream is to work with international aid agencies like doctors without borders, UN, Red Cross etc as a doctor, and after this trip, I want to do this more than ever.

- I can get several letters of recommendation (two REALLY good ones, and others from the places where I've only been volunteering for a couple of months if that helps at all)

- I am also a visible minority. Dunno if that helps but thought I'd just throw that out there

That's pretty much it. Haha I know my grades need a lot of work, but still, how does that look? Considering everything. I don't care, I'm going to continue to apply to med schools until I get in. I'm in my 3rd year right now, will pull off a 3.7/3.8 this year, and hopefully next year near a 4.0.

In all honesty, the biggest hurdle for me is scoring an interview- basically my grades are standing in the way. I KNOW if I get a chance in the interview I can do really well.

I just want to know what schools would be good for me to apply to. And if anyone has links to the cutoff gpa for universities in Canada, please let me know!

I basically wrote a novel lol but thanks for reading. Be brutally honest. Thanks!

imo, I think it will be helpful for you to take a gap year so you can have your last year count towards your GPA

some schools will drop you worst year, others will take notice how well you did in your last 2 years

just my 0.02

@ sirsam and future_doc: thanks. The more I think about it, that's the only solution. I'm probably going to have to take an extra semester anyway, so I guess I can wait til my 5th year to apply. Finish my undergrad while I'm waiting on an answer.

I've heard that the cutoffs for UofC and McMaster are low enough for me to be even considered. I kind of just want to get used to the process, to be honest. That way, I'm not blindsided the next year. Should I just apply anyway and see what happens?

4th year applicant

IP at BC

Year 1: 3.43 (38 credits)

Year 2: 3.89 (30 credits)

Year 3: 3.89 (27 credits)

cGPA: 3.71

MCAT 9PS / 10 VR / 12 BS / Q

EC:

4 Club activity (president + co-president + etc) 2~3 years each

2 Research experience (no pub, running GC-MS/PCR/mass spec) 1 full year + summer

held job since 14 years old (managerial level)

volunteer at 3 different places for 2 years (with homeless/disabled/middle-aged women)

lots of recreational sport

TA at the university for 1 year (paid work)

I'm particularly wondering if I can apply to UWO? I don't meet the 11 VR limit but is that a very strict cutoff? Thanks to anyone that can give advices!

I'm particularly wondering if I can apply to UWO? I don't meet the 11 VR limit but is that a very strict cutoff? Thanks to anyone that can give advices!

UWO's VR cutoff is definitely strict, unless you're from the area you have no chance at an interview with a 10 in VR.

Yeah unfortunately that is just a bit too low. Everything else looks so far one top for UWO. Annoying but any chance of a rewrite there?

Argggg really didn't want to re-write just for a chance to increase my VR by 1. I'm not even sure if I can do it.

Right now I interviewed at UBC so if I don't get in, maybe I'll re-write but I'm not too hopeful on a better score...

Thanks guys!

Any chance with Queens/Calgary/UofT ? I know I don't meet full courseload in year 3 so that hurts for UofT

Argggg really didn't want to re-write just for a chance to increase my VR by 1. I'm not even sure if I can do it.

Right now I interviewed at UBC so if I don't get in, maybe I'll re-write but I'm not too hopeful on a better score...

Thanks guys!

Any chance with Queens/Calgary/UofT ? I know I don't meet full courseload in year 3 so that hurts for UofT

Yeah that none full course load issue will be a problem for U of T and the loss of the wGPA system. Queens takes your last two years in one of its two systems so you look go on paper for that! It is a bit hard to know what there MCAT requirements are - you may be on the low side for them as well unfortunately (take a look at the invite thread for that - here are people I found close to you but just slightly higher. Hence it is hard to know where you stand).

3rd year at Queen's, applying this summer.

1st year cGPA: 3.9

2nd year cGPA: 3.51

Current cGPA: 3.71

Full load all years

MCAT: 14/14/14 S

ECs:

Founded a club in 2nd year, VP for 2 years, running for Pres this year (likely to get it), board member on another club in 2nd year

Hospital volunteering for 3 years (Internal Med 1st year, ER since then)

Testing for black belt in a martial art next fall

Volunteer research assistant in chemistry lab, obtained NSERC with them this summer

Thoughts? I can get UoT's weighting formula, which brings me up to a 3.77 (drop 1 bad semester course for each year, correct?). With Western's weighting formula, I lose my disastrous second year and likely come out with something in the mid 3.8s. 14 Verbal should be okay for Mac?