Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

3rd year at Queen's, applying this summer.

1st year cGPA: 3.9

2nd year cGPA: 3.51

Current cGPA: 3.71

Full load all years

MCAT: 14/14/14 S

ECs:

Founded a club in 2nd year, VP for 2 years, running for Pres this year (likely to get it), board member on another club in 2nd year

Hospital volunteering for 3 years (Internal Med 1st year, ER since then)

Testing for black belt in a martial art next fall

Volunteer research assistant in chemistry lab, obtained NSERC with them this summer

Thoughts? I can get UoT's weighting formula, which brings me up to a 3.77 (drop 1 bad semester course for each year, correct?). With Western's weighting formula, I lose my disastrous second year and likely come out with something in the mid 3.8s. 14 Verbal should be okay for Mac?

GPA - is not too low.

MCAT - through the roof (this is your golden ticket)

ECs - good.

I would apply where you could IP except Ottawa. OOP - Cal, Sas, Man, MUN, Dal. Probably not UBC - they only look at GPA per-interview (I think)

Full load all years

ECs:

Founded a club in 2nd year, VP for 2 years, running for Pres this year (likely to get it), board member on another club in 2nd year

Volunteer research assistant in chemistry lab, obtained NSERC with them this summer

Thoughts? I can get UoT's weighting formula, which brings me up to a 3.77 (drop 1 bad semester course for each year, correct?). With Western's weighting formula, I lose my disastrous second year and likely come out with something in the mid 3.8s. 14 Verbal should be okay for Mac?

dat MCAT holy Jesus...

Full load all years

ECs:

Apply in the States. That MCAT score will get you an interview at Harvard/ WashU, JH for sure, let alone a bunch of Top25 schools

This might be weird to someone from Canada, but with a 42 its good but doesn't really matter. You have a good chance of interviewing at literally every Top 25 medschool. Focus on private schools obviously and try and increase your research experience.

This might be weird to someone from Canada, but with a 42 its good but doesn't really matter. You have a good chance of interviewing at literally every Top 25 medschool. Focus on private schools obviously and try and increase your research experience.

Really? I knew MCAT counted more in America, but THAT much more? Wow.

How much more research experience should I be looking for? I've been volunteering in a lab for the last year, which is the same lab that I received my USRA award in. I'm also in the SSP stream of biochemistry, which means I need to do a thesis in 4th year, which I've already secured.

Yeah that's a good start, especially if you can get a good reference letter. The other thing to remember for the states is to apply broadly and to start VERY early. If you submit in June your app gets verified (takes approx 3 weeks) and it will go out on the first possible day to schools, which is clutch. Pick schools you like, and match your personality as well as have tiers. Check the PM subforum for more info.

Yeah that's a good start, especially if you can get a good reference letter. The other thing to remember for the states is to apply broadly and to start VERY early. If you submit in June your app gets verified (takes approx 3 weeks) and it will go out on the first possible day to schools, which is clutch. Pick schools you like, and match your personality as well as have tiers. Check the PM subforum for more info.

Thanks a ton! For schools that require English, is it okay that I'm taking it in the summer? Will that delay my application until the course (full credit) is formally completed?

Hi guys, this is my first time posting here, but I just want an honest opinion from you guys as to what my chances are.

GPA: (From U of T if that makes any difference. Full course load all three years with 60% on the same year level of difficulty)

1 - 3.6

2 - 3.55

3 - 3.93

MCAT: 9V/10PS/11BS M - I took it last September and I have no way of changing my essay score. Would that be a big problem towards my application? I'm sure I can raise my PS and BS(to around 12 for both), but I'm hesitant on retaking the MCAT since I felt like my 9 on V was a fluke. For practice tests, I was always at around 8-9 at VB, and during the day of the test, I thought I had bombed my VB section.

EC: Volunteer ~1 year in the ER

1 year of research for school credits done with publication in pending (co-author only)

1 year of summer research

2 weeks of shadowing a family doctor

Medical Trip to Nicaragua for 10 days

Chess Club - just for leisure

I'm planning on applying to both the US and Canada (in and out of Ontario). Do you guys think I have any chances with these statistics?Thank you so much for helping out!

Hi guys, this is my first time posting here, but I just want an honest opinion from you guys as to what my chances are.

GPA: (From U of T if that makes any difference. Full course load all three years with 60% on the same year level of difficulty)

1 - 3.6

2 - 3.55

3 - 3.93

MCAT: 9V/10PS/11BS M - I took it last September and I have no way of changing my essay score. Would that be a big problem towards my application? I'm sure I can raise my PS and BS(to around 12 for both), but I'm hesitant on retaking the MCAT since I felt like my 9 on V was a fluke. For practice tests, I was always at around 8-9 at VB, and during the day of the test, I thought I had bombed my VB section.

EC: Volunteer ~1 year in the ER

1 year of research for school credits done with publication in pending (co-author only)

1 year of summer research

2 weeks of shadowing a family doctor

Medical Trip to Nicaragua for 10 days

Chess Club - just for leisure

I'm planning on applying to both the US and Canada (in and out of Ontario). Do you guys think I have any chances with these statistics?Thank you so much for helping out!

Pretty difficult for you for Canada unless you're in-province for somewhere other than Ontario. You're not likely to get anything from Ontario schools unless you get really lucky at Mac or you're from northern ontario. Not sure about US but I'd imagine you'll be ok for mid tier schools?

Pretty difficult for you for Canada unless you're in-province for somewhere other than Ontario. You're not likely to get anything from Ontario schools unless you get really lucky at Mac or you're from northern ontario. Not sure about US but I'd imagine you'll be ok for mid tier schools?

i guess he/she may have a decent shot at western based on the conditions of

a) SWOMEN status

if not

B) meet the VR cutoff (most likely will be 11)

Yeah, I'm not in-province for anywhere else other than Ontario.

And to uwodesperate: I'm not SWOMEN status either. You're pretty much hinting that I should retake the MCAT if I can hit an 11 or higher?

Thanks a ton! For schools that require English, is it okay that I'm taking it in the summer? Will that delay my application until the course (full credit) is formally completed?

No, some people don't complete their requirements after they've been accepted in 2nd semester

I'm in need of some honest advice regarding which schools to consider and how I stack up:

Numbers:

cGPA: 4.00

sGPA: 3.98

MCAT 36 (14P, 9V, 13B) no writing (low verbal?)

BC Resident, applying this summer as 4th year applicant

ECs:

• 3 years of research (no pubs but presented at lab meetings; took directed studies); incl NSERC rec'd and 1 year research in biotech in US while on Co-op
  • 3 years volunteering at children's hospital visiting patients
  • 2 semesters chem tutoring at univ
  • 2 semesters tutoring high school kids in after school program
  • 8mos. volunteering in ER
  • 2 weeks intl "volunteering" in Mexico
  • Student club member but no exec positions
  • Intramural Sports/Individual Sports enthusiast

Just need some honest opinions and some guidance on decisions im trying to make. So chance me!

I'm in need of some honest advice regarding which schools to consider and how I stack up:

Numbers:

ECs:

• 3 years of research (no pubs but presented at lab meetings; took directed studies); incl NSERC rec'd and 1 year research in biotech in US while on Co-op

Just need some honest opinions and some guidance on decisions im trying to make. So chance me!

Seriously? your GPA is 4.0, you didn't fail on the MCAT, you have enough ECs, and you're a resident of somewhere outside of Ontario. You're obviously more than qualified for UBC and most Canadian and American schools except Western.

Numbers:

ECs:

Word your ECs well and you'll get an interview at UBC,

seriously i hate being from ontario.... that VR in ontario would've hurt you at western,mac possib queen's

1: 3.3

2: 3.3

3: 3.8

4: 3.9

cGPA 3.6~

Ontario resident

11's across the board on MCAT. Where do I have a decent shot to apply, either in ontario, across canada, or abroad?

Western,

Queen's

UofT maybe

Mcmaster

no chance in alberta, manitoba, saskatche, ubc, mcgill, NOSM (unless ur from the north)

idk about eastern schools

Numbers:

ECs:

Just curious why volunteering is in quotations for Mexico? lol is that code for spring break? :D

Hi

I don't know how to write a new post for this.

BSc Biology honours

Last year- 3.87

3rd year- 3.55

2nd year- 3.42

Took 2 semesters off due to illness (diff years)

Completing MSc pharmacology cGPA 4.0

2 publications, 2 on the way (2nd author)

MCAT- 27P

ECs: Worked during first 3 years of uni and for most of MSc

Volunteer- hospital for past few months and tutoring volunteer 2 years

On a student society for past year

Applying IP to dal in fall

Suggestions? Willing to wait a year or so and very motivated but im getting old :( so thinking of ireland possibly.

Re-write MCAT?

Hey this is my first time posting on this thread,

I am a third yr student at u of t, was hoping to apply this summer.

First year cGPA: 3.81

Took physics in the summer, 1 Full year: 4.0

Second year cGPA: 3.91

Third year cGPA: 3.98 (if my marks stay the same after the exam)

Ecs: Not amazing, Was an exec at a bio club for 2 years, volunteering at hospitals 1.5 years, 1 summer research, no publications. Worked part time as an intel product expert at different electronics outlet (during second year). Now works part time as a private tutor.

MCAT: wrote it second yr summer, I am probably going to write again and see if I can get 40+ before applying this summer, felt like I didn't prepare enough cuz research was 10+ hrs every day.

Score:

12P 11VR 11B w:R

yea thats about it, any input helps!

Thanks!

I wouldn't rewrite the MCAT unless you are thinking about the US or feel you performed VERY poorly on VR. Anything above 12 is rare and you have the scores for Queens and Western. You will be very competitive at every Ontario school in the next cycle with your stats so I would use the summer to beef up the ECs as opposed to the MCAT. The file review is supposedly becoming more important at Queens and UT so focus on that. This will also give you more to talk about in interviews.