Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hey guys!

thanks for the rly fast reply, I don't know how you people do it! I just want to add a few things to the list:

My first year GPA is low because of a terrible English course got like a low 70. My science marks are around 3.9. not sure if this improves my applications rly.

Anyway,

See I was planning to do research this summer, but unfortunately the 2 post docs in the lab both left bcuz she got a professor job somewhere, and 1 phD and 1 master student left bcuz of argument with the prof.

The prof had told me to come to his lab next summer and continue my research and I agreed, but now since half of his grad students left, there is nobody to supervise me, and I couldn't work anymore. By this time, most other profs have already filled summer students... : (

so not sure what other things I can do to work on my ECs. Something that I can do right away.

Also, I want to know if I can put painting + piano for my ECs. In fact I've been painting for more than 12 years, and is quite a professional at it (at one point I wanted to be an architect). In terms of piano, I generally have lessons every week and I really enjoy it. But since these things are not directly related to medicine, would it be okay to mention as my EC? The thing is, piano takes up a lot of time, and I prolly should do something that's actually related to medicine. Not sure if I can mention it during interview.

I am thinking about applying for American medschools, want to aim for top or middle tier. I am wondering if I can improve my MCAT score (bio was such a disapointment) to maybe 38-40 realistically, will I have a good shot?

Thanks for your input and advice

I am going to read a novel while I patiently wait for your kind reply.

You should definitely mention painting and piano, especially since it seems to be something you enjoy and devote a lot of your time to. Medical schools don't only want ECs that are related to medicine, but want to see that you are well-rounded. So definitely mention those!

I personally wouldn't re-write the MCAT with that score because you don't want you to score less than the first time, but if you feel that you can get a lot better than it really is up to you. Maybe apply this year and see if you get in first before re-writing?

Once again, I agree with above poster. :P Piano & painting are definitely ECs and you have developed considerable expertise in at least one, demonstrating creativity, perseverance, patience and more. They are looking for those well rounded, not a brain in a box restricted to medically related activities.

Your ECs and volunteering are about your internal growth & development, they allow you to learn about yourself and life, to develop traits required of physicians, amongst others perhaps team work, being a scholar, being an educator (you do tutoring), having discipline, critical thinking and problem solving skills (you did research), etc. I too have done piano for more than a decade. See the CanMeds attributes, the link being by the top of sticky on interviews found in my signature below.

Once again, I agree with above poster. :P Piano & painting are definitely ECs and you have developed considerable expertise in at least one, demonstrating creativity, perseverance, patience and more. They are looking for those well rounded, not a brain in a box restricted to medically related activities.

Your ECs and volunteering are about your internal growth & development, they allow you to learn about yourself and life, to develop traits required of physicians, amongst others perhaps team work, being a scholar, being an educator (you do tutoring), having discipline, critical thinking and problem solving skills (you did research), etc. I too have done piano for more than a decade. See the CanMeds attributes, the link being by the top of sticky on interviews found in my signature below.

This might sound like a weird question, but how exactly do you phrase more abstract ECs like painting? I have devoted a huge amount of time to cooking and baking, but it just seems so weird to put it in as an EC, even though I have been paid for my work (I did the cakes for the wedding of a reasonably famous Canadian athlete!) and have spent countless hours learning different recipes and perfecting challenging techniques such as gumpaste/fondant flowers etc. :confused:

Guest Dimon

3rd yr

IP in Ontario

cGPA=3.8

UofT wGPA=3.92

PS/VR/BS/WS (9/8/13/S)

Assuming above average extracurriculars in terms of employment, volunteering, awards, research (no pubs though), leadership etc. What are my chances? Particularly with respect to UofT and mac?

Also just to confirm even though its been said before, will the 8 in VR flag me for uoft or will it easily pass onto the next stage without a flag???

3rd yr

IP in Ontario

cGPA=3.8

UofT wGPA=3.92

PS/VR/BS/WS (9/8/13/S)

Assuming above average extracurriculars in terms of employment, volunteering, awards, research (no pubs though), leadership etc. What are my chances? Particularly with respect to UofT and mac?

Also just to confirm even though its been said before, will the 8 in VR flag me for uoft or will it easily pass onto the next stage without a flag???

The 8VR will definitely be a flag for UofT, but it's not a red flag. You can still advance in the selection process if the rest of your application is strong. Since you've included a wGPA for UofT, I assume you will be applying as a fourth year applicant? You've got a chance for UofT, but it's going to depend on your ECs and essays.

As for McMaster, that 8VR is going to make it extremely difficult. A few people managed, but with your cGPA I think it would be a serious uphill battle on CASPer.

If possible, I think you should take the MCAT again to expand your list of schools.

I am doing my msc at ubc and ive lived in bc for 3 years as of june does that hurt my chance IP for dalhousie?

I wouldn't think so if you are considered a resident of NS still. If you have been a student for all/most of your time out of province, I don't think it should be an issue.

cGPA: 3.83 (should rise after this year, 3rd was 3.95 and 4th is on track to be similar)

MCAT: 12/10/14/Q PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: nothing out of the ordinary: diverse work experience, hospital+ community

volunteering, club exec, sports etc. no research, although I will be a research assistant this summer

Year: 4th year UG, ontario resident

I was rejected from all Ontario med schools this year (pre interview obviously as it's not yet May). I was wondering what I can do to improve my chances. I was thinking of taking a fifth year and doing UG thesis. I'm not sure if this will help though, and any advice would be appreciated

cGPA: 3.83 (should rise after this year, 3rd was 3.95 and 4th is on track to be similar)

volunteering, club exec, sports etc. no research, although I will be a research assistant this summer

I was rejected from all Ontario med schools this year (pre interview obviously as it's not yet May). I was wondering what I can do to improve my chances. I was thinking of taking a fifth year and doing UG thesis. I'm not sure if this will help though, and any advice would be appreciated

Increase chances? do some more ECs, and if you feel comfortable, re-write the MCAT to increase your VR

Dude, you're competitive in terms of MCAT and cGPA. If I were you, improve on your CVs. I would not rewrite because you have a well balanced score. You're doing v.well with your positive progression of cGPA. DO NOT be discouraged by this year's performance in terms of interview invites. Being a 3rd year applicant is hard because they want to see maturity either from your age/years of education, or your ECs and the quality of your learning experience from these ECs.

You're doing great! Just focus on better and fruitful ECs.

Dude, you're competitive in terms of MCAT and cGPA. If I were you, improve on your CVs. I would not rewrite because you have a well balanced score. You're doing v.well with your positive progression of MCAT. DO NOT be discouraged by this year's performance in terms of interview invites. Being a 3rd year applicant is hard because they want to see maturity either from your age/years of education, or your ECs and the quality of your learning experience from these ECs.

You're doing great! Just focus on better and fruitful ECs.

If I were OP and knew I was comfortable with the PS/BS sections I'd rewrite the MCAT, seeing as just 1 more point in VR would net me an interview at Western and a competing chance at McMaster - even if the other sections went down by a point each, the tradeoff would still be worth it.

That being said, VR isn't always the easiest section to improve scores on so I suppose OP should be careful.

I am not sure whether to apply this cycle. Any advice will be appreciated!

• BC resident
  • 3rd year Psychology major
  • cGPA after this semester: ~3.55/83%
  • sGPA after this semester: ~3.5/82%
  • 150-200 hours (1 year) volunteering in ED
  • 120-150 hours (1 year) leadership volunteering on campus
  • 200 hours (2 years) volunteering in non-profit charity doing office/outreach work
  • Some sports, travelling as hobbies
  • No research or other clinical experience

How are my chances for this cycle and is there anything I can do to improve upon them? Should I apply this cycle or take a year off to work on my application?

Also, not sure whether this is the best place to ask this but I am planning to take the MCAT this summer and will have only 3 months to study for it. Would it be a bad idea to take a summer course at the same time as I study for the MCAT? I will also be volunteering at the ED during the summer.

Thanks again for any advice!

Not to be brutal, I think you need to up your GPA, see the threads where acceptees & rejectees gived their profile. Rather than take a tear off, possibly you should take a fifth year until you receiveyour bachelors so as to improve your GPA.

In my view, your suggestion is a bad idea. Perhaps some volunteering while studying for MCAT.

If I were OP and knew I was comfortable with the PS/BS sections I'd rewrite the MCAT, seeing as just 1 more point in VR would net me an interview at Western and a competing chance at McMaster - even if the other sections went down by a point each, the tradeoff would still be worth it.

That being said, VR isn't always the easiest section to improve scores on so I suppose OP should be careful.

You're right. An 11 vs 10 VR can make you or break you. Although like you said, it's the hardest section to improve upon.

Not to be brutal, I think you need to up your GPA, see the threads where acceptees & rejectees gived their profile. Rather than take a tear off, possibly you should take a fifth year until you receiveyour bachelors so as to improve your GPA.

In my view, your suggestion is a bad idea. Perhaps some volunteering while studying for MCAT.

Thanks for the reality check. I appreciate it. It was actually this current year that really pulled my GPA down; without this year, it would be around 3.65/84%. If I apply to UBC during the next cycle and qualify for their weightage formula where they disregard the lowest academic year i.e. this year, what will my chances be like?

Thanks again for the advice.

hello every one

I am new member & this is my first post in this site ,

I was a medical student and complete a 2 years at school with GPA 4.00 in each year (94%-96%).

I am a new immigrant at Canada, and now I find my self in a high school grade 11 and 12 for science admission requirements.

Please I would like to know if their is a chance for me to apply for medical school at Canada or I must take the undergraduate courses.

hello every one

I am new member & this is my first post in this site ,

I was a medical student and complete a 2 years at school with GPA 4.00 in each year (94%-96%).

I am a new immigrant at Canada, and now I find my self in a high school grade 11 and 12 for science admission requirements.

Please I would like to know if their is a chance for me to apply for medical school at Canada or I must take the undergraduate courses.

Unfortunately you will need to finish or at least start an undergraduate degree before having a chance at admission to Canadian medical schools. Note also that it is very competitive to gain entrance to a Canadian medical school, and only about 20% of applicants are accepted.

Unfortunately you will need to finish or at least start an undergraduate degree before having a chance at admission to Canadian medical schools. Note also that it is very competitive to gain entrance to a Canadian medical school, and only about 20% of applicants are accepted.

i've always thought its more like 10-12% (like the study guides advertise)

i've always thought its more like 10-12% (like the study guides advertise)

Per school, yes, but on average each applicant applies to about three schools. Per cycle, there are around 11,000 individual applicants (and just over 32,000 applications.) While each school accepts around 10% of their applicants, many will decline to attend another school they were accepted to. For 11,000 individual applicants, there are just about 2800 seats. When you take a few things into account (eg. The 1500 or so 'long shot' applicants who apply to McMaster only because it has the lowest stated minimum stats requirements, the international applicants competing for an extremely limited number of seats, etc.) it works out to just around a 30% chance of a broadly applying applicant getting in per cycle.

It's more competitive than the US - I believe their acceptance rate is around 45% - but not as cutthroat as people make it seem.

Per school, yes, but on average each applicant applies to about three schools. Per cycle, there are around 11,000 individual applicants (and just over 32,000 applications.) While each school accepts around 10% of their applicants, many will decline to attend another school they were accepted to. For 11,000 individual applicants, there are just about 2800 seats. When you take a few things into account (eg. The 1500 or so 'long shot' applicants who apply to McMaster only because it has the lowest stated minimum stats requirements, the international applicants competing for an extremely limited number of seats, etc.) it works out to just around a 30% chance of a broadly applying applicant getting in per cycle.

It's more competitive than the US - I believe their acceptance rate is around 45% - but not as cutthroat as people make it seem.

haha but its not 45% for Canadian applicants applying to the US. however, they do have a different emphasis on things, I just dun know where to find a second english credit since im graduating like.. now.