Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hey!

I was wondering if y'all could chance me and possibly give me some advice?

Undergrad: 3rd Year BScN

cGPA: 3.96 (3.95 in 1st year; 3.96 in 2nd Year)

MCAT: 31 - 10PS/10VR/11BS

EMPLOYMENT

Lab Research Assistant - 450 hrs

Lab Research Assistant - 247.50 hrs

Counselor at free summer sports camp for underprivileged kids - 210 hrs

VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCES

Adult Day Centre - 100 hours

Nursing program Ad Com - 40 hours

Student Success Leader - 100 hours

Tutoring immigrant youth summer after first year - 50 hours

Volleyball Team Manager in high school - 240 hours

Helping out with dad's home business - 100 hours

Gr. 9 orientation leader for 2 years

Tutoring Chemistry and Math 3 years

EXTRACURRICULAR

University

Cofounder of 1 club; exec on premed club; intramural volleyball; gospel choir; Christian fellowship; African Student's association

Highschool

DECA Co-president for 2 years; volleyball on school team for 4 years on a club team for 1 year; Liturgy planning commitee 4 years; Black History Month planning committee 4 years; Concert Choir 4 years; School musical 1 year

RESEARCH

Should have 1 first author publication (qualitative research) in a developing nursing journal by the end of the year.

I'm IP in Ontario. So, I'm worried about two things: my MCAT and extracurriculars.

1) I'm worried that my GPA's not high enough to compensate for my MCAT and that my verbal score rules out Calgary and Western which is a problem given that I have no prereqs (chem, bio, orgo, or physics). I'm wondering if it's in my best interest to spend next summer studying for an MCAT rewrite or if my time is better spent acquiring prereqs and more research and work so I can apply more broadly.

2) For the most part, I've done with my volunteer and extracurrics, stuff that I was really passionate about. I feel though like all the stuff I've done is pretty standard or everyone who's pursuing a carrer in medicine. How do I stand out in a crowd of rock stars?

Seriously?

10VR for OP most would say isn't going to get you in, you'd require an 11, but with a 3.96 cGPA I think you have a chance, they've interviewed lower. Calgary also doesn't have pre-req courses so you not taking any of them doesn't matter as they aren't weighted.

I can't weight on Ontario schools however, but by the general looks I wouldn't say you're bottom of the barrel by any means.

thanks for the reply, I will definatley look into some volunteer positions along those lines.

I was just wondering, I know there is no definate answer but how do med schools value work experience as opposed to volunteer?

Altruism aside, assuming you are demonstrating CanMeds competencies when working, you are good. :)

Seriously?

10VR for OP most would say isn't going to get you in, you'd require an 11, but with a 3.96 cGPA I think you have a chance, they've interviewed lower. Calgary also doesn't have pre-req courses so you not taking any of them doesn't matter as they aren't weighted.

I can't weight on Ontario schools however, but by the general looks I wouldn't say you're bottom of the barrel by any means.

Calgary is no longer doing full file reviews on OOP applicants with less than an 11 in VR, no matter your GPA. Sucks, but it looks like UofC is out for now, unless you are definitely rewriting! :(

Calgary is no longer doing full file reviews on OOP applicants with less than an 11 in VR, no matter your GPA. Sucks, but it looks like UofC is out for now, unless you are definitely rewriting! :(

Is that like a 100% guaranteed thing, or just what people are thinking?

The 2012 cycle they did a review on a 9VR, he had a 3.99GPA but still.

Oh interesting, good to know. :)

Lol. Yeah. Hence the dilemma. A balanced 31 isn't so low a score that I'd never stand a shot at getting in. But without prereqs or that verbal at 11, my options are pretty much limited to Toronto, Mac, and Queens in province and Dal, Saskatchewan and Manitoba out of province. Doesn't look too pretty.

I feel like with a rewrite I can do better in all sections. But I wonder if it's really worth it if I can just start hammering out prereqs and doing other stuff that makes me more competitive. My volunteer record's a little spotty and there's no such thing as having too many publications.

Thoughts?

Lol. Yeah. Hence the dilemma. A balanced 31 isn't so low a score that I'd never stand a shot at getting in. But without prereqs or that verbal at 11, my options are pretty much limited to Toronto, Mac, and Queens in province and Dal, Saskatchewan and Manitoba out of province. Doesn't look too pretty.

I feel like with a rewrite I can do better in all sections. But I wonder if it's really worth it if I can just start hammering out prereqs and doing other stuff that makes me more competitive. My volunteer record's a little spotty and there's no such thing as having too many publications.

Thoughts?

Manitoba/Saskatchewan place a very large emphasis on the MCAT. A 31 is very low for OOP students at both schools.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I don't want to mislead you.

Education:

BSc. Biomed Eng GPA: ~>3.9 (Alberta)

Currently doing an MSc. Biomed Eng (McMaster)

MCAT: 14PS/9V/15BS (not the best at reading...)

>10 academic awards including NSERC and top graduating GPA in Engineering discipline.

Relevant Work Experience:

1) Medical Research - No pubs

2) Gold extraction research facility

3) Medical Research - 3 Patents

Volunteer Activities:~700 hours total

HIV awareness

Big Brothers Big Sisters 1 on 1 mentor and SOAR program

Tutoring students with financial need

Hospital

Red Cross Youth

Habitat for humanity

...and some minor other things

Chances are that I will have at least one research paper by the time I apply. I am IP in Alberta. I believe my application is strongest at Alberta, Calgary, and Toronto. I realize that my verbal score sucks, but I think it is good enough to sneak by with the rest of my application and I won't be able to rewrite.

Please let me know your thoughts on what schools I have a decent chance at being accepted to for Sept 2015. Thanks in advance for your comments!

Education:

>10 academic awards including NSERC and top graduating GPA in Engineering discipline.

HIV awareness

Hospital

Red Cross Youth

Habitat for humanity

Chances are that I will have at least one research paper by the time I apply. I am IP in Alberta. I believe my application is strongest at Alberta, Calgary, and Toronto. I realize that my verbal score sucks, but I think it is good enough to sneak by with the rest of my application and I won't be able to rewrite.

Please let me know your thoughts on what schools I have a decent chance at being accepted to for Sept 2015. Thanks in advance for your comments!

Have you applied before? That's a strong application. What happened during your past application cycle?

Education:

HIV awareness

Hospital

Red Cross Youth

Habitat for humanity

You'll also get interviews at Saskatchewan and Manitoba with your MCAT score.

Education:

HIV awareness

Hospital

Red Cross Youth

Habitat for humanity

You definitely have a shot at UofC (depending on how well you write your Top 10/how good your references are to emphasize your non-cog attributes) and most likely at Alberta too (as long as you have all the pre-reqs down)! Can't comment on Ontario schools however.

Education:

HIV awareness

Hospital

Red Cross Youth

Habitat for humanity

since alberta doesn't care what the individual score of the mcat is, i'd be shocked if you didn't get into u of a...barring a red flag or disastrous interview.

you also have a great shot at pretty much every school except queen's, mcmaster and western.

Education:

HIV awareness

Hospital

Red Cross Youth

Habitat for humanity

Come to UBC! You know life is always better in Beautiful British Columbia! :)

Manitoba/Saskatchewan place a very large emphasis on the MCAT. A 31 is very low for OOP students at both schools.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I don't want to mislead you.

No worries about sounding harsh bruv. I wouldn't have come here if I didn't want an honest appraisal.

I think I'll be about average-above average in terms of experiences and extracurricular engagements by the time I apply. 3.96 is a solid GPA and I'll try to get it up this year. The MCAT though feels like a toss-up. Those I've asked who did better or worse than I did all say the same thing: it's balanced, not too great, but competitive and that they would keep the score and get on with their lives. Everyone I've talked to with similar scores though is leaning more toward rewriting to improve the magic section.

1st degree GPA: 3.19 (No science courses)

1st year of second degree: 3.89

2nd year: In progress

MCAT (PS/VR/BS): 9/11/9

ECs: Extensive tutoring (LSAT, highschool, University, disadvantaged youth), 7 years work experience in office setting (includes managerial), organized events for religious community, shadowed doctor for 2 summers, no research.

Overall, decent, but nothing spectacular.

Target schools: Western, Queens, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Dalhousie

Supposing I get 10/11/10 on my MCAT rewrite, then I can apply to all the above schools. If I also raise my CGPA for my second degree to around 3.92-93, what would you rate my chances? It should be noted that my GPA for Calgary is a 4.0.

1st degree GPA: 3.19 (No science courses)

1st year of second degree: 3.89

2nd year: In progress

MCAT (PS/VR/BS): 9/11/9

ECs: Extensive tutoring (LSAT, highschool, University, disadvantaged youth), 7 years work experience in office setting (includes managerial), organized events for religious community, shadowed doctor for 2 summers, no research.

Overall, decent, but nothing spectacular.

Target schools: Western, Queens, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Dalhousie

Supposing I get 10/11/10 on my MCAT rewrite, then I can apply to all the above schools. If I also raise my CGPA for my second degree to around 3.92-93, what would you rate my chances? It should be noted that my GPA for Calgary is a 4.0.

Are you IP for Calgary or OOP? If OOP, and you can maintain a GPA above 3.8, you may have a chance at UofC. Lots of emphasis on how you write your top 10, and fit into their non-cognitive attributes, but if you can do that well, you may have a shot. :) I`m sure you`ll have a better idea once you get your second year under your belt!

GPA: 3.96 (UofG biomed)

MCAT:

35--> 11 ps, 10 vr, 14 bs

I applied to Ottawa, McMaster, Western (I know its a long shot), U of T, Queens, U of A and UBC.

I have no research experience, but a LOT of EC and volunteer experience. I am just nervous that the 10 in my vr and lack of experience is killing what would have been a competitive application.

GPA: 3.96 (UofG biomed)

MCAT:

35--> 11 ps, 10 vr, 14 bs

I applied to Ottawa, McMaster, Western (I know its a long shot), U of T, Queens, U of A and UBC.

I have no research experience, but a LOT of EC and volunteer experience. I am just nervous that the 10 in my vr and lack of experience is killing what would have been a competitive application.

I think you have a good shot at Ottawa, Queens, and McMaster if you do well on CASPer.

Western will probably be a long shot unless you are IP. UofT will be dependent on your essays, but they do like research experience.