Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

GPA: 3.96 (UofG biomed)

MCAT:

35--> 11 ps, 10 vr, 14 bs

I applied to Ottawa, McMaster, Western (I know its a long shot), U of T, Queens, U of A and UBC.

I have no research experience, but a LOT of EC and volunteer experience. I am just nervous that the 10 in my vr and lack of experience is killing what would have been a competitive application.

The 11 in VR will truly only hurt your chance at Western as the cut-off for non-SWOMEN has been 11 for the past few years. Other than that your chances are good at the other schools. I wouldn't worry too much.

In terms of marks, I think you are good for most if not all OOP schools.

Mcgill would be one to consider

Calgary also as you have at least 11VR

UBC should have a shot, would prob get a perfect AQ score.

would have prob have perfect GPA at Dal as they round to nearest tenth.

Not sure about other schools.

Chances of interview/acceptance would depend on your ECs and on how you sell yourself.

Looking real good though. Good job.

I don’t mean to steal the spotlight, but I was also wondering my chances. I only applied to uottawa only this year.

Current MSc student – finishing within months

cGPA: 3.73

wGPA: 3.89 (from ottawa)

Volunteer:

Science outreach program – >2 years (>100hrs)

Leadership role with above program - >1 year (30hrs)

Hospital – >1year (>150hrs)

Red Cross - ~10 month (>100hrs)

Summer Hockey coaching – 1 season (>40hrs)

Extracurricular:

Exec on two clubs (cofounded one) - >300hrs combined (2 years including both)

Council rep – 1 year (>70hrs)

Research discussion group – 2 summers (>60hrs)

Hockey during high school – 10 academic years (>600hrs)

Work:

Sales rep for two companies – 3 years combined (>3000hrs)

Research:

1st author pub, three 1st author posters (only included the overseas one as they were the same project).

Awards:

10+ awards: including academic (OGS, admissions), 2 CIHR summer awards, volunteer awards, etc.

What do you think my chance of interview is?

MCAT: 35 (13/11/11)

GPA: 3.98

ECs: Average, hoping to beef them up before applying next cycle

I know I'm good for Ontario schools, but can anyone tell me which OOP schools I have a shot at?

You may have a shot at UofC based on your stats, but of course it always boils down to how well you write your Top 10 and how good your references are, in order to show off your non-cognitive skills. (I feel like I say this a lot aha). Definitely worth a shot though!

Hello All,

This is my first post to the forum but I have been a long time follower. Every time I read posts in this forum I have to convince myself that the people here are the exception and not representative of the average applicant that I am up against. This may or may not be true, but it makes me feel better about my chances.

Education

-Graduated from top ontario engineering school with degree in mechanical engineering (with 6 4month co-op terms)

-Currently enrolled in an Athabasca double credit physiology course (to satisfy UofT course requirements)

Grades

-My overall (all courses) OMSAS GPA is 3.87

-My GPA with considerations for UofT and UWO is 3.95

-Marks show of strong trend of upward improvement over 4 years

-Carried 6 courses per term throughout most of engineering program

Academic Achievements

-Always ranked in top 10% of engineering class

-Last 4 terms (last 2 years) ranked in top 3 of class with 1 term as #1

-Deans honors

-Sandford Flemming award for academic/CO-OP achievement

-Several scholarships from engineering school

Extracurricular

-Class rep for 2 terms

-Nominated as class valedictorian but wasn't selected to be one of 2 valedictorians chosen from ~10 engineering classes

-Volunteer at local hospital for ~8 months (100+ hours)

-Executive (leadership position) on service learning trip to Caribbean building and repairing homes for the less fortunate

-Small research position working with MASC and PHD students during 1 school term - no publication but work dealt with 3D printing of bio-implants

-Intramural sports every school term

MCAT

13 PS, 9 VR, 11BS (total 33)

-unfortunately VR is low

Work Experience

Strong work experience (28+ months of full time work experience, this includes co-op terms)

-Currently work in technology industry in Silicon Valley

2013-2014 Application Cycle

Applied to:

UWO - I feel this is my best chance helped by the fact that I'm SWOMEN

UofT - so so chance given my academics

MAC - not so great given my LOW VR score and how poorly I felt I did on the CASPER

Queens - I think the VR cut off is 10, so unfortunately unlikely I will get an interview

Don't get me wrong, I love engineering but I found my passion for medicine late in my degree and have done what I could to explore this passion. My hope is that this will be enough to get me admitted this cycle. I'm also considering doing to a graduate degree in medical field, possibly biomechanics, as a stepping stone to ultimately become a physician. For reference my goal is to become either a cardiothoracic or orthopedic surgeon.

What are you thoughts about me as an applicant and my chances for interviews/admission this cycle? Any suggestions on what graduate program might be good next step if I'm unable to get in this round? Would love to hear from other engineers in medicine!

Thanks in advance!

Hello All,

This is my first post to the forum but I have been a long time follower. Every time I read posts in this forum I have to convince myself that the people here are the exception and not representative of the average applicant that I am up against. This may or may not be true, but it makes me feel better about my chances.

Education

-Graduated from top ontario engineering school with degree in mechanical engineering (with 6 4month co-op terms)

-Currently enrolled in an Athabasca double credit physiology course (to satisfy UofT course requirements)

Grades

-My overall (all courses) OMSAS GPA is 3.87

-My GPA with considerations for UofT and UWO is 3.95

-Marks show of strong trend of upward improvement over 4 years

-Carried 6 courses per term throughout most of engineering program

Academic Achievements

-Always ranked in top 10% of engineering class

-Last 4 terms (last 2 years) ranked in top 3 of class with 1 term as #1

-Deans honors

-Sandford Flemming award for academic/CO-OP achievement

-Several scholarships from engineering school

Extracurricular

-Class rep for 2 terms

-Nominated as class valedictorian but wasn't selected to be one of 2 valedictorians chosen from ~10 engineering classes

-Volunteer at local hospital for ~8 months (100+ hours)

-Executive (leadership position) on service learning trip to Caribbean building and repairing homes for the less fortunate

-Small research position working with MASC and PHD students during 1 school term - no publication but work dealt with 3D printing of bio-implants

-Intramural sports every school term

MCAT

13 PS, 9 VR, 11BS (total 33)

-unfortunately VR is low

Work Experience

Strong work experience (28+ months of full time work experience, this includes co-op terms)

-Currently work in technology industry in Silicon Valley

2013-2014 Application Cycle

Applied to:

UWO - I feel this is my best chance helped by the fact that I'm SWOMEN

UofT - so so chance given my academics

MAC - not so great given my LOW VR score and how poorly I felt I did on the CASPER

Queens - I think the VR cut off is 10, so unfortunately unlikely I will get an interview

Don't get me wrong, I love engineering but I found my passion for medicine late in my degree and have done what I could to explore this passion. My hope is that this will be enough to get me admitted this cycle. I'm also considering doing to a graduate degree in medical field, possibly biomechanics, as a stepping stone to ultimately become a physician. For reference my goal is to become either a cardiothoracic or orthopedic surgeon.

What are you thoughts about me as an applicant and my chances for interviews/admission this cycle? Any suggestions on what graduate program might be good next step if I'm unable to get in this round? Would love to hear from other engineers in medicine!

Thanks in advance!

I think, as you said, your best shot would be western. have you considered Ottawa? depending on your mark breakdown by year, might have a shot there.

the parts I bolded in your post, while impressive, will not matter that much/at all to med schools. additionally, class rankings only really matter if you get an award for it. nominated to be considered for valedictorian is iffy

what you do next cycle depends on your goals/priorities. grad degrees will help you more at some schools than others. they, obviously, increase the amount of time you have to take between application cycles (and you would presumably have to quit your job). volunteering more, especially in your community, would improve your shot for next year

GPA.

1st: 3.78 (3.74 OMSAS)

2nd: 3.91 (3.84 OMSAS)

*UofT wGPA = 3.86

MCAT.

1st try: 33 (13PS, 9VR,11BS) and plan to write again

ECs.

- lots of ophthalmology-based work (i.e. 2 year clinical research ongoing, inner city school screenings, assisting an older blind man each week to complete daily tasks, unite for sight ghana in summer)

- esl teaching + tutoring at immigrant centre

- exec for couple student clubs (1 is sports-related + 1 inner city related)

- founded a program where researchers interact with students in a panel form and mixer (event each month)

- 2 summers of cultural-competency research in family med and nursing with 2 pubs

- founded a personal finance course for immigrants/refugees held by uni business students

- coordinating after-school sports program at inner city school each week

- independent study with professor about aboriginal health in canada

- started Social Equity subcommittee for Edmonton Youth Council (which works with city council on issues relating to youth)

Im IP for Alberta and hope to stay in the province for med. May consider UofT if I can bring up my marks or Queens if I can make last two years good. I'm more interested in socio-economic and ethno-cultural aspects of health so ive focused more on underprivileged populations in general (i.e. inner city, immigrants/refugees, aboriginal) but have also interest in eyes. Didn't want to volunteer at hospitals or be president of every student club on campus for the sake of med, just followed my passions and interests.

HELP ME! Do I have any hope? Where do I improve?

You want to improve your VR. Your home province looks safe, and you deifinitely have a shot at U/T, you also could apply McGill in your last year. And doing well in Casper, with a 10, you have a shot, although you could do it with a 9 too. Just keep your GPA up and you will be fine in this lottery,

You want to improve your VR. Your home province looks safe, and you deifinitely have a shot at U/T, you also could apply McGill in your last year. And doing well in Casper, with a 10, you have a shot, although you could do it with a 9 too. Just keep your GPA up and you will be fine in this lottery,

Thanks a lot! So even with these stats, taking a W in a course this year won't matter much? Seeing as how bad my marks have been in this course and amount of work involved, my GPA will definitely be good if I withdraw.

• 2 weeks later...
cGPA: 3.95

PS: 11, BS: 12, VR: 11

ECs

-Worked with autistic children for one summer

-Worked at a French summer camp for young children in french immersion schools for a summer

-Tutored math, chem, and orgo for the past 5 years at high school and university levels

-Led a team to organize a conference regarding child health

-Medical education research (no pubs)

-Wet lab research (no pubs currently but that could change)

-Organized a carnival for my church

-Writing for my school newspaper

-One exec position

-Volunteered at a family friend's walk-in clinic/pharmacy for several years

-Volunteered at a food bank for a few months now

-Various smaller events (university fair, cancer walks, etc)

Where are you IP? And, if you have already applied, where?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

This is my first post on the forum, but I browse it all the time. This thread is kind of discouraging for me because I see so many premeds with truly amazing stats and experiences being told that they "might" have a chance. So I am really curious about what my chances are. Any opinions are appreciated :)

OMSAS GPAs

1st = 3.42

2nd= 3.62

3rd = 3.90

4th = 3.95

cGPA = 3.72

MCATs

1st: PS 12, VR 9, BS 15, WS S

2nd: PS11, VR10, BS13 *Focused mainly on VR but still couldn't improve much. Just can't grasp it.

Volunteer

- Hospital (40 hours)

- Cancer Centre (100 hours)

- CIBC Run for the Cure track coordinator

- Peer Editing Club

- KidsAbility 1:1 Mentor (befriended this awesome autistic boy, took him to movies, miniputt etc.)

Extracurriculars

- VP and co-founder Rugby Club

- Social Director Science Society

- First Responder campus first response team

- Communications Director first response team

- President and event coordinator of AIDS Awareness Club

- Board of directors AIDS outreach Canadian Charity

- Shadowing oncologist (not on app, started in October)

- plenty of intramurals and other just-for-fun sports and sports clubs

Research

Caught the bug late, so I feel like it's kinda limited

- presentation of honours thesis

- NSERC 1 summer

- Paid Research assistant

- 1 3rd author publication (just acceped, send letter to schools to update? Most might ignore)

- Working in Clinical Trials (not on app tho)

I have applied to Toronto (wGPA = 3.85), Ottawa (wGPA = 3.88), Queen's (last two year GPA = 3.92), NOSM and Manitoba (Operational MCAT = 12.2, AGPA = 4.34, OOP).

Thanks for taking the time!

Hi there,

This is my first post on the forum, but I browse it all the time. This thread is kind of discouraging for me because I see so many premeds with truly amazing stats and experiences being told that they "might" have a chance. So I am really curious about what my chances are. Any opinions are appreciated :)

I think what you have to remember is that getting into medical school really comes down to the luck of the draw. There are a ton of very excellent applicants out there, and the majority of them are fairly similar stats-wise (give or take). It's really hard to say to anyone on these boards 'oh you will definitely get in with those stats!' because it's really just a roll of the dice. As long as you are a good candidate, you have a possibility of getting in... but you may also not be accepted haha. Don't let that discourage you! :)

I won't comment on your likelihood of acceptance, as I don't know much about Ontario schools, but it seems like you are on the right track to get into med school at some point! Manitoba may be a tough sell however, what with the massive emphasis they put on OOP applications MCAT scores.

Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement Hyperalgesia!

I think I am just freaking out about it because of the long wait between apps and hearing back from schools haha. I'm sure many are! It seems that medical school admissions are unpredictable at best, which doesn't do anything to ease anxiety.

Hi there,

OMSAS GPAs

1st = 3.42

2nd= 3.62

3rd = 3.90

4th = 3.95

cGPA = 3.72

MCATs

1st: PS 12, VR 9, BS 15, WS S

2nd: PS11, VR10, BS13 *Focused mainly on VR but still couldn't improve much. Just can't grasp it.

Volunteer

- Hospital (40 hours)

- Cancer Centre (100 hours)

- CIBC Run for the Cure track coordinator

- Peer Editing Club

- KidsAbility 1:1 Mentor (befriended this awesome autistic boy, took him to movies, miniputt etc.)

Extracurriculars

- VP and co-founder Rugby Club

- Social Director Science Society

- First Responder campus first response team

- Communications Director first response team

- President and event coordinator of AIDS Awareness Club

- Board of directors AIDS outreach Canadian Charity

- Shadowing oncologist (not on app, started in October)

- plenty of intramurals and other just-for-fun sports and sports clubs

Research

Caught the bug late, so I feel like it's kinda limited

- presentation of honours thesis

- NSERC 1 summer

- Paid Research assistant

- 1 3rd author publication (just acceped, send letter to schools to update? Most might ignore)

- Working in Clinical Trials (not on app tho)

I have applied to Toronto (wGPA = 3.85), Ottawa (wGPA = 3.88), Queen's (last two year GPA = 3.92), NOSM and Manitoba (Operational MCAT = 12.2, AGPA = 4.34, OOP).

Thanks for taking the time!

You're in that uncomfortable "maybe" territory, so it's hard to really give chances. Closest I can come is to say that you've got a shot at all the schools you've applied to, that NOSM, Manitoba, and to a lesser extent Ottawa will depend on whether you qualify for their geographical considerations, and that I'd say your best shot is at Queen's. If I was a betting man, I'd say you'd get at least one interview, but I can't guarantee that either.

The good news is that if you don't get in this cycle, you're really just one more VR point away from adding two more schools (Western and Mac) to your list of potential places to apply, which would significantly increase your chances. Basically what I'm saying is that you're in OK shape now, and if the worst happens this year, you're only an MCAT rewrite away from being in even better shape next year.

I know that's not exactly the answer you're looking for, but it sounds like you've taken the right steps so far, so you've maximized your chances at this point. This stage involves a lot of finger-crossing for everyone, so that anxiety is completely, 100% normal. If you make the best of whatever interviews you get, I think you'll have a reasonable shot, so try not to stress too much :P

So I'm in a really tough position and feel like I only qualify for a handful of schools in Canada. Can someone point out if I'm missing any? I'm an Ontario resident and have a very colourful transcript. Biochemistry major.

1st: 3.07 (took 12 courses, clinically depressed)

Withdrew for a year

2nd: 4.00 (Major in-term scholarship)

3rd: 3.86 (9 courses)

4th: 3.86 (9 courses)

cGPA: 3.64

MCAT: 15/10/13

The 10 is obviously in verbal, which completely screws me over being from Ontario.

ECs: Tons of research over the years, volunteered as a first responder, a little hospital volunteering, one club exec, most are restricted to 3rd/4th year. Nothing too impressive.

Doing research in my time off, another year is out of the question to raise my GPA. Getting a 4.0 in my last semester only raised it 0.04.

Going to apply to Queen's, McMaster, U of T and UBC. I don't think I pass cutoffs anywhere else...

So I'm in a really tough position and feel like I only qualify for a handful of schools in Canada. Can someone point out if I'm missing any? I'm an Ontario resident and have a very colourful transcript. Biochemistry major.

1st: 3.07 (took 12 courses, clinically depressed)

Withdrew for a year

2nd: 4.00 (Major in-term scholarship)

3rd: 3.86 (9 courses)

4th: 3.86 (9 courses)

cGPA: 3.64

MCAT: 15/10/13

The 10 is obviously in verbal, which completely screws me over being from Ontario.

ECs: Tons of research over the years, volunteered as a first responder, a little hospital volunteering, one club exec, most are restricted to 3rd/4th year. Nothing too impressive.

Doing research in my time off, another year is out of the question to raise my GPA. Getting a 4.0 in my last semester only raised it 0.04.

Going to apply to Queen's, McMaster, U of T and UBC. I don't think I pass cutoffs anywhere else...

Doesn't toronto drop your worst year? If so then you could apply there with a 3.91 GPA which is pretty solid and with that MCAT I'd say you have a pretty good chance. Also apply to Queen's and Western.

The part that worries me is the fact that you were clinically depressed and how an interviewer would respond to that. Are you on medication now? Are there still side effects?

Doesn't toronto drop your worst year? If so then you could apply there with a 3.91 GPA which is pretty solid and with that MCAT I'd say you have a pretty good chance. Also apply to Queen's and Western.

The part that worries me is the fact that you were clinically depressed and how an interviewer would respond to that. Are you on medication now? Are there still side effects?

No, they drop individual courses. Unfortunately the weighted formula will not apply in this case since some years only have 9 courses regardless of the overload in first year.