Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

To start, i have had 5 parrots in the past, the 5th being my last, 1 of the other 4 died, and the other 3 just didn't have 'chemistry' with if you wanna call it that.

so Ive trained all of those 5, plus have tamed ALL of my friends and families parrots. Two word, +/- reinforcement.....:cool:

Im planning on writing the MCAT 3 times this year, one month apart unit i get a score i am happy with. I was thunking of taking the Princeton course, or maybe using the books any thoughts on that?

to clarify for the publications, i most likely will not be the first author (first name) but will be 2nd or 3rd. I should have 1-2 by the end of this summer applying during my 4th year. As for applying during my 5th year, i should have between 1-3 pubs.

i had opportunity to volunteer in the hospital, but didn't as i found it to be really useless life wise, all i would do is clean up and wash toys...really med student-to-be, what did you learn by washing toys? lol

i most likely will continue president of this group #3, which i think to me is huge when taken into account the work.

Any ideas for Volunteer opportunities, nothing like safe walk or something were you count hours, but rather make a difference.. like counselling or something

I really appreciate your input,

MT

To start, i have had 5 parrots in the past, the 5th being my last, 1 of the other 4 died, and the other 3 just didn't have 'chemistry' with if you wanna call it that.

so Ive trained all of those 5, plus have tamed ALL of my friends and families parrots. Two word, +/- reinforcement.....:cool:

Im planning on writing the MCAT 3 times this year, one month apart unit i get a score i am happy with. I was thunking of taking the Princeton course, or maybe using the books any thoughts on that?

to clarify for the publications, i most likely will not be the first author (first name) but will be 2nd or 3rd. I should have 1-2 by the end of this summer applying during my 4th year. As for applying during my 5th year, i should have between 1-3 pubs.

i had opportunity to volunteer in the hospital, but didn't as i found it to be really useless life wise, all i would do is clean up and wash toys...really med student-to-be, what did you learn by washing toys? lol

i most likely will continue president of this group #3, which i think to me is huge when taken into account the work.

Any ideas for Volunteer opportunities, nothing like safe walk or something were you count hours, but rather make a difference.. like counselling or something

I really appreciate your input,

MT

pretty cool about the parrots, don't know that I would put that on my app but it would be a fun thing to mention some stuff you were able to teach them in an interview.

I wouldn't really recommend writing three times one month apart...essentially you won't know the score you got until just before or after you write the second time. You won't be able to see where you need to improve, and you won't want to study in the intervening month after having just written it. Better to take it once with as much time to devote to it as you can. That will get you the best score, and if needed you can rewrite at a later date. Studying on your own is preferable if you have a science background and self discipline.

even as 2nd or 3rd author I think pubs are very helpful, especially at U of T. Look at organizations in your community for EC's that interest you, there are lots of different organizations and roles you can find. Big brothers big sisters, homeless shelters, youth shelters, etc. pick something interesting that you care about

Hey guys, I've been frequenting this site for a few years now and always meaning to post asking for my chances but never did. But here goes - would really appreciate some honest feedback.

GPA

1st year: 3.92

2nd year: 3.59 (had to transfer schools in second year)

3rd year: 3.81

4th year: 3.86

OMSAS cGPA: 3.8

*Do not qualify for UofT's weighting because dropped a course in first year.

MCAT: 11/7/10 - re-writing it this summer and hoping for a better score, esp in VR

Since undergrad

Because of residency issues, I was forced to start working right after undergrad instead of being able to apply to med schools in Canada. I'm currently in a position to apply this fall for entry in Fall 2015. I've been feeling really depressed about the fact that I've had to lose out time instead of applying fresh out of undergrad, but having said that, the two years that have elapsed since I graduated have taught me a lot, and allowed me to gain a lot of new experiences and perspectives.

Work Experience

I've been working as a research coordinator for the two years since I graduated. In a gist, my work involves a lot of patient contact in recruitment and enrollment, lots of collaboration with multidisciplinary workers in the hospital to ensure smooth implementation of studies that I'm in charge of and a lot of administrative work in organizing and compiling study data. I don't have to do analyses, however, and do not have a chance of being published at this job. Have also completed a certificate program in the field for professional development

I am also looking into doing a 1-year master's program in a health-related field starting this fall; not sure if that adds to my application preemptively.

ECs+other accomplishments

- distress line volunteer for 1+ years: lots of great experiences and insight to talk about here

- co-founder of an organization that helps sends kids to school in the developing world: lots of different kinds of experience here in setting up org and running its day to day activities

- been active member of school clubs: organized cultural events and involved in a college paper

- mentored high school kids for 1 year while in university

- Dean's honour list every year of uni + 2 academic scholarships based on GPA

- Multiple clinical research assistant positions at SickKids Hospital which again allowed for a lot of patient interactions, gain of knowledge regarding ethics and understanding of sensitive situations in a hospital environment.

- 2.5 years of work as a technical assistant in a lab while in undergrand (preparing media - nothing exciting)

- one summer working at a molecular biology lab

- thesis project in basic sciences in fourth year - published as second author.

- 1+ year of general hospital volunteering (wouldn't really say I got much out of it tho lol)

- poster presentation at conference from work

I look at my credentials and feel disheartened often and am looking for some honest opinions regarding my chances. Would really appreciate some insight :) Thanks to everyone on this forum for being so great!! <3

Sounds like you've been through quite a bit! Don't worry about not getting in right out of university - that's true for a lot of students. Heck, at some schools you'd probably still be on the young side :P

Your chances at Ontario schools will really come down to your MCAT. A reasonable VR puts you in good shape for McMaster, a balanced score puts you in good shape for Queen's, and meeting Western's now-crazy cutoff will get you an interview there. Without weighting, your chances at U of T would be on the low side, and I don't think you meet Ottawa's GPA cutoff. Everywhere else (NOSM + non-Ontario schools) depends on whether you get regional preference in their evaluation.

I would call your ECs above average, but for the most part, that'll only matter at the notoriously-fickle Queen's. Anyway, I think you know where your focus needs to be: firmly and squarely on that MCAT score. Get that up, and your overall chances are pretty reasonable :)

Hi ralk, your reply gave me a lot of confidence and renewed energy to attack my MCATs! (although it's proving to be a pain with full time work). And yes, it's been quite the journey, and it hasn't ended yet, but at least hopefully by the next admission cycle, I'll be eligible to apply to all Ontario schools. Age definitely worries me, but age is just a number eh? :) Thanks again for your reassuring response.

Sounds like you've been through quite a bit! Don't worry about not getting in right out of university - that's true for a lot of students. Heck, at some schools you'd probably still be on the young side :P

Your chances at Ontario schools will really come down to your MCAT. A reasonable VR puts you in good shape for McMaster, a balanced score puts you in good shape for Queen's, and meeting Western's now-crazy cutoff will get you an interview there. Without weighting, your chances at U of T would be on the low side, and I don't think you meet Ottawa's GPA cutoff. Everywhere else (NOSM + non-Ontario schools) depends on whether you get regional preference in their evaluation.

I would call your ECs above average, but for the most part, that'll only matter at the notoriously-fickle Queen's. Anyway, I think you know where your focus needs to be: firmly and squarely on that MCAT score. Get that up, and your overall chances are pretty reasonable :)

Hi ralk, your reply gave me a lot of confidence and renewed energy to attack my MCATs! (although it's proving to be a pain with full time work). And yes, it's been quite the journey, and it hasn't ended yet, but at least hopefully by the next admission cycle, I'll be eligible to apply to all Ontario schools. Age definitely worries me, but age is just a number eh? :) Thanks again for your reassuring response.

Just do every practice MCAT you can get your hands on (including the old ones!), go over your answers to look for ways to improve, and you'll do fine :D

• 3 weeks later...
Hi I'm in second year and I was wondering if there were anything notable that I am missing in my application that I should work on.

GPA:

First year: 3.96

Summer after first year (one course): 3.9

Second year: 3.97 (assuming I maintain my grades this semester, which I think is likely)

ECs since high school:

-Summer of working with children with autism

-Taught at a french immersion summer camp for 4-6 year olds

-Tutor for first year psychology, general chem, and second year organic chem

-Exec member for a conference about global child health

-Minor experience as a clinical research assistant in medical school education (I mostly acted as an extra set of hands and was not an active participant in the research/data input/analysis component)

-Exec member of a religious club on campus for the last two years and will be president next year

-Co-founder of an advocacy club on campus for next year

-Exec member for the university's general student council

-This summer I've secured a wet-lab research position that guarantees a scholarship and poster presentation (PI said that if my work is good he will be willing to put me as a co-author on a paper, though that can't be guaranteed)

-I've won another scholarship on top of that research position which also involves a poster presentation

-English Second Language teacher

-Upper year mentor for a first year student

-General member for a smoking cessation group on campus

-Job shadowing with a cardiologist which involves lots of patient interaction (mostly involves taking patient history, asking about current symptoms, etc)

-I've secured a teaching assistant position for the upcoming school year in a first year biology course

I think on paper I sound good but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything glaring on my application when I send it in next cycle. I have notable stories/experiences/struggles from most of the above ECs and I'd be able to talk about them if asked.

Lol. You'll be fine. Assuming you don't have a 25 MCAT.

Hi Everyone! I just recently found this forum and am amazed by the amount of information on here (really wish I had found this earlier, haha). I would appreciate any feedback!!

GPA : Entered with IB credits, so my 3rd year is my graduating year

1st year: 3.86

2nd year: 3.91

3rd year: ~3.90 (in progress)

Omsas cGPA: 3.89

MCAT: 39 with 12VR

Research Experience: 3 labs with varying involvement, no pubs

Lab 1: volunteered for a semester

Lab 2: independent course/project for a semester

Lab 3: summer student + year long honours project afterwards

Work Experience:

pretty limited since I've only had 2 summers in between, but here goes!

-4 months as a summer student in a lab (see 'research experience' above)

-Office work/data entry for one summer

-Teaching assistant for a biology lab course

Volunteering/ECs:

-2+ years of hospital volunteering in the dialysis department, information desk, and ICU. (includes time in high school though)

-1 year of volunteering as an English/conversation teacher at a community center

-a month of volunteering as a teacher in rural mongolia

-week long mobile clinic trip to Ecuador

-some community volunteering trips (woman's shelter, family medicine conference, etc)

-violinist in an orchestra (1 year)

-debate club (1 year)

-shadowing with an ophthalmologist and a cardiologist

I feel that my stats are OK, but due to a lack of time from hurrying through everything, I haven't developed my ECs/other experience fully. I'm graduating this year though, so anything on that front would have to be improved on outside of school. Thank you everyone!!

Hi Everyone! I just recently found this forum and am amazed by the amount of information on here (really wish I had found this earlier, haha). I would appreciate any feedback!!

GPA : Entered with IB credits, so my 3rd year is my graduating year

1st year: 3.86

2nd year: 3.91

3rd year: ~3.90 (in progress)

Omsas cGPA: 3.89

MCAT: 39 with 12VR

Research Experience: 3 labs with varying involvement, no pubs

Lab 1: volunteered for a semester

Lab 2: independent course/project for a semester

Lab 3: summer student + year long honours project afterwards

Work Experience:

pretty limited since I've only had 2 summers in between, but here goes!

-4 months as a summer student in a lab (see 'research experience' above)

-Office work/data entry for one summer

-Teaching assistant for a biology lab course

Volunteering/ECs:

-2+ years of hospital volunteering in the dialysis department, information desk, and ICU. (includes time in high school though)

-1 year of volunteering as an English/conversation teacher at a community center

-a month of volunteering as a teacher in rural mongolia

-week long mobile clinic trip to Ecuador

-some community volunteering trips (woman's shelter, family medicine conference, etc)

-violinist in an orchestra (1 year)

-debate club (1 year)

-shadowing with an ophthalmologist and a cardiologist

I feel that my stats are OK, but due to a lack of time from hurrying through everything, I haven't developed my ECs/other experience fully. I'm graduating this year though, so anything on that front would have to be improved on outside of school. Thank you everyone!!

GPA looks good and that MCAT is very strong, so those should get you past any of those checkpoints. Don't underestimate how big of an advantage that can be - it'll guarantee an interview at Western, and should give you a strong shot at McMaster.

For the other Ontario schools, it'll be more of a toss up. You have a good base for ECs, but they would definitely be your weak point. I think you've done a good job at demonstrating interest in medicine and helping people in general. Looks like you've got your foot in the door for research as well, which is a plus. Moving forward, it'd help to focus on ECs that show productivity and responsibility. Research that leads to some form of publication, whether that's an article, an abstract, a poster, or a talk would help cement those research credentials. Paid work would also be a big plus, especially in a setting applicable to medicine.

Overall though, you're in good shape. ECs are probably the easiest thing to improve - it just takes some time and willingness to stay active!

Thank you everyone for the comments and replies!!!

I know that it's hard to guess but seeing these answers still gave me a bit of a confidence boost; especially after seeing so many of my talented friends receiving pre-interview rejections this year!

@Jaybird: Thank you! Haha, yes I have a 13 in BS so hopefully that will be good for Western's cutoffs for next year. I'm not so sure about Queens though given that they seem to prefer people with really exceptional ECs, but I will wait and see!

@ralk: thank you for such a detailed response! I am stuck in a limbo right now trying to decide what I want to do in the year after I graduate (which is only in a week really! :eek: ), so those comments are especially helpful! Hopefully the statistics will be enough to get me a Mac and Western interview next year!

Thanks everyone!!:)

Hello Everyone!

1st Year - 3.67

2nd Year - 3.90

3rd Year - 3.51

4th Year - 3.84

5th Year - 3.89

OMSAS cGPA: 3.76

wGPA (UofT): 3.89

MCAT: 30 on the first try. I will be rewriting this summer.

EC: hospital volunteering (1.5 years), overseas medical trip (1 week), volunteer with occupational therapist (1.5 years), thesis project, NSERC URSA (summer), lab assistant (summer), tutor at local community center (3 years), executive in the biology club (1 year), and volunteer at university health center (1 year).

Trying to improve my EC's this year (hopefully some clinical research). I am not sure whether I want to do a masters or not. I also have completed English courses so I'm open to american schools.

What are my chances?

Hello Everyone!

1st Year - 3.67

2nd Year - 3.90

3rd Year - 3.51

4th Year - 3.84

5th Year - 3.89

EC: hospital volunteering (1.5 years), overseas medical trip (1 week), volunteer with occupational therapist (1.5 years), thesis project, NSERC URSA (summer), lab assistant (summer), tutor at local community center (3 years), and volunteer at university health center (1 year).

Trying to improve my EC's this year (hopefully some clinical research). I am not sure whether I want to do a masters or not. I also have completed English courses so I'm open to american schools.

What are my chances?

Try to improve your EC's beyond simply doing clinical/health related stuff. I'm sure you have some interests outside of health and medicine...right?

And please try to word the EC's well too, especially with a 1 week overseas medical trip. Not sure how much one can accomplish in a week but hopefully it at least had some positive impact (on yourself or people you were trying to help).

Overall, I don't think your GPA is competitive enough in Canada especially with a low MCAT and typical premed ECs. Try to improve that and MCAT, and even consider doing further studies to fix the marks. Some med schools are more lenient with marks if youve done a masters or PhD. But if anything, go for DO in the states.

@Salamander

Since you used UofTs weighting formula and listed your OMSAS GPA, I'd guess that you're an Ontario resident and carried a full course load (30 credits) every year. But, please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're GPA isn't competitive in Ontario, per say, but if you could really raise that MCAT score to at least a 34 (12 BS/12 VR/10 PS) then you should be competitive for Western and Queen's (academically speaking). Of course their cut-offs vary from year to year, so definitely shoot for that balanced 36. Unfortunately, your ECs are going to hold you back. This isn't as big of an issue at Western, but at Queen's I'd suspect that you'd be rejected during their EC screening; there's no harm in applying though.

Hello Everyone!

1st Year - 3.67

2nd Year - 3.90

3rd Year - 3.51

4th Year - 3.84

5th Year - 3.89

EC: hospital volunteering (1.5 years), overseas medical trip (1 week), volunteer with occupational therapist (1.5 years), thesis project, NSERC URSA (summer), lab assistant (summer), tutor at local community center (3 years), executive in the biology club (1 year), and volunteer at university health center (1 year).

What are my chances?

What is the breakdown of your MCAT? A 10-11V and solid CASPER could land you an interview at Mac.

My GPA and MCAT are very competitive so I'm not worried about those. I AM worried about my ECs, though, because I really haven't had time, particularly in the last few years, to do anything but work (or work and school.) Because I didn't qualify as 'in financial need' during my first year, I wasn't eligible for many awards so I have few. I also have no research.

My awards include a donor award, a merit award, some provincial awards, and Dean's list.

Work experience is a number of jobs over the years ranging from retail and food service to supervisory and government. Currently working in healthcare admin. I was a personal care assistant for several years.

Non-academic and personal:

Patient advocacy group, exec for a student association, started and run a medicine interest society, have two kids, one of whom has autism and I stayed home for two years to manage and implement his therapy. Memberships in a couple societies (not student.) I have some artistic hobbies, but I'm not sure if those should be included as they are not formal. I also have a blog that has attracted a small, regular readership, and I'm not sure I'll include that.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few things but most of it is along the same lines as the above. I have some political activities (most of my volunteering falls in that category) that I'll probably leave off. Most of my community work isn't stuff I can get verifiers for so I can't include it.

My ECs are out of the ordinary but I really don't have a whole lot of volunteering or any research. I have some idea of what my chances are, but I'd like to hear how others interpret them. I'm applying to Ottawa, Queen's, Mac, and Toronto.

My GPA and MCAT are very competitive so I'm not worried about those. I AM worried about my ECs, though, because I really haven't had time, particularly in the last few years, to do anything but work (or work and school.) Because I didn't qualify as 'in financial need' during my first year, I wasn't eligible for many awards so I have few. I also have no research.

My awards include a donor award, a merit award, some provincial awards, and Dean's list.

Work experience is a number of jobs over the years ranging from retail and food service to supervisory and government. Currently working in healthcare admin. I was a personal care assistant for several years.

Non-academic and personal:

Patient advocacy group, exec for a student association, started and run a medicine interest society, have two kids, one of whom has autism and I stayed home for two years to manage and implement his therapy. Memberships in a couple societies (not student.) I have some artistic hobbies, but I'm not sure if those should be included as they are not formal. I also have a blog that has attracted a small, regular readership, and I'm not sure I'll include that.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few things but most of it is along the same lines as the above. I have some political activities (most of my volunteering falls in that category) that I'll probably leave off. Most of my community work isn't stuff I can get verifiers for so I can't include it.

My ECs are out of the ordinary but I really don't have a whole lot of volunteering or any research. I have some idea of what my chances are, but I'd like to hear how others interpret them. I'm applying to Ottawa, Queen's, Mac, and Toronto.

Well, if anyone deserves an EC interpretation, it's you Birdy :D

At Mac your ECs don't matter, but your wealth of life experience should be a big asset during both the CASPer and MMI.

I think Queen's will love you. Lots of interesting work experience, plenty of unique ECs, and overall your list screams that you're capable of handling responsibility. Nothing's ever guaranteed at Queen's, but of schools that look at ECs, I'd say that'd be your best shot. You fit nicely into what they say they like.

Ottawa's a bit more of a guessing game, but I still like your chances there. The uniqueness of your ECs and the level of responsibility you've taken on should balance out the lack of traditional ECs without too much difficulty.

I'll be a bit more pessimistic about U of T, if only because of the lack of research. They like it, so it'll count against you not having it. I wouldn't count you out though, not by a long shot, especially with your GPA. Emphasize the strong point of your application in your essays, namely your work with patients and the responsibility you've taken on, and I think that'll give you a good chance for an interview.

Don't worry about not having financial-based awards, those are far less important than pure merit-based ones. Don't worry about volunteer experience - I think you can show clear interest in medicine and engagement in your community, which is mostly what volunteer work does. No question, include your blog. I felt that needed to be emphasized :P Competence with social media is big right now, you're clearly having an impact on many people.

The only weak spot I see is, as you say, research. Getting something simple like an abstract or poster presentation would make a difference, if only to check off that box. If the admissions process ceases to make any sense and you don't get in this coming cycle, that'd be the one recommendation I'd have to improve your ECs. But if it came to that, I have a feeling I'd have to stand in line behind a lot of premed101er's to smack some sense into adcoms for being idiots :)

Hah, thanks for the confidence, Ralk.

Ottawa would be ideal for us since we have people there. My husband grew up there and I lived there for ten years, so we know the city very well. My cousin is on faculty at U of T med so that might be weird.

The thing that concerns me about Ottawa is that they only look at things done during postsecondady studies, which excludes most of what I have done. My student society stuff will count, as will my current job, life, and my hobbies, but beyond that I don't have a lot of experience they'll look at.

Any suggestions for how I should write my ABS descriptions to increase my chances at U of O? I am fluently bilingual so I could probably apply through the French stream, but I'd prefer doing my education in English since I plan to practice at home. I'd be comfortable interviewing in either language, though. Would the chances be that much better, given that I don't have any GPA barriers?

Hah, thanks for the confidence, Ralk.

Ottawa would be ideal for us since we have people there. My husband grew up there and I lived there for ten years, so we know the city very well. My cousin is on faculty at U of T med so that might be weird.

The thing that concerns me about Ottawa is that they only look at things done during postsecondady studies, which excludes most of what I have done. My student society stuff will count, as will my current job, life, and my hobbies, but beyond that I don't have a lot of experience they'll look at.

Any suggestions for how I should write my ABS descriptions to increase my chances at U of O? I am fluently bilingual so I could probably apply through the French stream, but I'd prefer doing my education in English since I plan to practice at home. I'd be comfortable interviewing in either language, though. Would the chances be that much better, given that I don't have any GPA barriers?

Unfortunately Ottawa's the Ontario school I know the least about (I would have been disqualified in applying there on pre-reqs alone :P ) - I've heard the French stream is easier to get into and that they like bilingual applicants, but I can't say I know the details all that well. Hopefully others can comment more specifically.

Their website specifically mentions OMSAS's "essential skills" document (http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/COFM_Abilities_Sept03.pdf), so emphasizing how you meet those traits is probably a safe bet. The good news here is that while Ottawa looks at ECs completed during university only, they also focus on your top 3. Your ECs are quality over quantity, so except for research, that could work in your favour :D Extra-curricular activities is a category that'd be a real strength for you - both your blog (which seems to be quite a commitment) and your hobbies could easily fit in there.