Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Thanks for the feedback guys! I should mention that I only did 28 and 29 credit hours per year so I won't be qualifying for any gpa adjustments (for next year). Also I did 3 years of high school in London, ON, so I qualify as IP for mcmaster but not UOttawa.

Jmatt: gpa was the main reason I was initially not going to apply to UOttawa and UofT, but if you think I have a chance, I'll give it a shot.

As for Queens, I have no idea what they look at for admissions lol... I heard that they focus on extracurriculars a lot so I wasn't planning on apply since I haven't had a lot of time (only 2 years) to rack up lots of experience

Thanks for the feedback guys! I should mention that I only did 28 and 29 credit hours per year so I won't be qualifying for any gpa adjustments (for next year). Also I did 3 years of high school in London, ON, so I qualify as IP for mcmaster but not UOttawa.

Jmatt: gpa was the main reason I was initially not going to apply to UOttawa and UofT, but if you think I have a chance, I'll give it a shot.

As for Queens, I have no idea what they look at for admissions lol... I heard that they focus on extracurriculars a lot so I wasn't planning on apply since I haven't had a lot of time (only 2 years) to rack up lots of experience

Well if you're OOP for Ottawa you might want to check if you meet the GPA cutoff, even. But I think you could have a shot at Queen's. UofT is possible but unlikely. I figure that if you're already applying to one Ontario school, might as well pay the extra couple hundred dollars to apply to a couple more. I knew I didn't really stand a chance at Ottawa but applied anyways. Didn't think I had a shot at Queen's but ended up getting an interview. You never know what will happen.

Will you have 90 credit hours at the time of matriculation?

yeah I believe the schools they don't count at are alberta and calgary.. (but maybe more) not ubc and mcmaster I think

I did take 2 summer courses between 1st and 2nd year and have a total of 63 credits to date and will be 90+ once I'm done 3rd year. You're very right about anything can happen so I think I'll apply to queens as well...

yeah I believe the schools they don't count at are alberta and calgary.. (but maybe more) not ubc and mcmaster I think

I did take 2 summer courses between 1st and 2nd year and have a total of 63 credits to date and will be 90+ once I'm done 3rd year. You're very right about anything can happen so I think I'll apply to queens as well...

One last question concerning Queen's:

Will you have at least 30 (half) courses at the time of matriculation? That's another requirement in addition to having 90 credit hours.

One last question concerning Queen's:

Will you have at least 30 (half) courses at the time of matriculation? That's another requirement in addition to having 90 credit hours.

What do you mean? UBC's course credit system is a little different from other schools. I have take 21 courses to date that were 1 term but they range form being 1 credit hours to 4 credit hours.. When I calculated my OMSAS gpa I treated them all as half year courses. So essentially I haven't taken any full year courses.

In the coming year though (for 3rd year), I will be taking 3 full year long courses and 6 half year courses. Will the 3 full year courses count as 6 half year courses? If not then I will only reach 27 half year courses + 3 full year courses ...

and thanks so much for your help! :D

What do you mean? UBC's course credit system is a little different from other schools. I have take 21 courses to date that were 1 term but they range form being 1 credit hours to 4 credit hours.. When I calculated my OMSAS gpa I treated them all as half year courses. So essentially I haven't taken any full year courses.

In the coming year though (for 3rd year), I will be taking 3 full year long courses and 6 half year courses. Will the 3 full year courses count as 6 half year courses? If not then I will only reach 27 half year courses + 3 full year courses ...

and thanks so much for your help! :D

Ok, you're set :)

The full year courses will count for double, and even if they didn't you'd still be at 30. I don't see anything else that could stop you from applying to Queen's. Best of luck :D

Edit for source: http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/academic_requirements/credit_requirement

Ok, you're set :)

The full year courses will count for double, and even if they didn't you'd still be at 30. I don't see anything else that could stop you from applying to Queen's. Best of luck :D

Edit for source: http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/academic_requirements/credit_requirement

Awesome :D

Thanks again!

Gonna hop back in and start studying for the mcat (the last piece!)

Hi guys, my first and second year gpa ended up being 3.84 and 3.93, so 3.885 total. Should I apply anywhere as a third year applicant? My ECs are below average and my MCAT will probably be around average or below average.

It's hard to know without actually having your ECs/MCAT, but even if you consider them below average, provided your VR score is reasonable, shoot one off to McMaster at least. Your GPA is reasonable for them, even low VR scores can occasionally get in, they don't care about ECs or other MCAT scores, and writing the CASPer can be a good experience for future application cycles.

Basic rule: unless money is an issue, apply anywhere you have a shot, even if it's a long shot.

Hey everyone!

I'm planning on applying during my 3rd year (For 2015 admissions) to Ottawa, Queens, Toronto and McMaster. I have also been looking into other schools out of province ie. Dalhousie, Manitoba, Alberta, Calgary and UBC. I am also scheduled to write the MCAT this coming August. Any input is greatly appreciated :)

OMSAS GPA: 1st year 4.0, 2nd year 3.95

wGPA: 3.97

cGPA: 3.98

EC: Figure skating 12 years, varsity figure skating team for my uni 1 year, gymnastics 12 years, swimming 12 years, karate (Go Ju Ryu) 7 years

Volunteering: figure skating coach 3 years, gymnastics coach 1 year, swimming instructor assistant 1 year, children's rehabilitation centre 1 year, fundraisers, biotechnology lab 2 years

Employment: biotechnology lab (same one volunteered at) 7 years

Research: Industrial NSERC URSA x 2 (at the same biotechnology company), 2nd author on 3 posters presented at conferences

Awards/Certificates: lifeguard (NLS), water safety instructor (WSI), figure skating gold interpretive and skills, black belt in karate, undergraduate book prize, 5 OFSAA medals in gymnastics (competed in my high school )

Other: president of bio club (2014/2015 school year), Pre Med club at my school 2 years

Hey everyone!

I'm planning on applying during my 3rd year (For 2015 admissions) to Ottawa, Queens, Toronto and McMaster. I have also been looking into other schools out of province ie. Dalhousie, Manitoba, Alberta, Calgary and UBC. I am also scheduled to write the MCAT this coming August. Any input is greatly appreciated :)

EC: Figure skating 12 years, varsity figure skating team for my uni 1 year, gymnastics 12 years, swimming 12 years, karate (Go Ju Ryu) 7 years

Volunteering: figure skating coach 3 years, gymnastics coach 1 year, swimming instructor assistant 1 year, children's rehabilitation centre 1 year, fundraisers, biotechnology lab 2 years

Research: Industrial NSERC URSA x 2 (at the same biotechnology company), 2nd author on 3 posters presented at conferences

Awards/Certificates: lifeguard (NLS), water safety instructor (WSI), figure skating gold interpretive and skills, black belt in karate, undergraduate book prize, 5 OFSAA medals in gymnastics (competed in my high school )

Other: president of bio club (2014/2015 school year), Pre Med club at my school 2 years

Wow, 5 OFSAA medals. You've got nothing to worry about. Apply everywhere. Scrore at least 11 in VR and 10s in other sections.

Hey everyone!

Wow! This is one of the most impressive collection of ECs that I've seen in a very long time.

Scratch Manitoba off your list though. They require a degree,

Thank you guys :D ! This forum has been very helpful, glad I found it! I'm really just hoping I will be able to get an interview somewhere with my stats, and hopefully be competitive enough to receive an invitation! It seems a lot like a hit and miss now, with fantastic applicants being rejected, it is a bit disheartening!

I'm not planning to apply next year (just finished 1st year), but I just wanted some advice/opinions on the direction I'm headed.

First year gpa: 3.96 (full course load, no courses excluded)

EC/Volunteering:

I don't know if it is worth mentioning anything prior to university but some people above seem to be including them so I'll just list them

- Competitive soccer for 7 years on rep, varsity, and a church team; I stopped playing since starting university not due to time constraints but due to a pretty bad injury.. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to play again

- Volunteer at a spinal cord rehab center for a semester

- Part of a subcommittee for humanitarian relief

- Intern as a field therapist for varsity teams (non-paid, I don't know if this would count as volunteering or EC)

Research:

- No research experience, but I am trying to look for a position next year

Specifically, I was wondering how important it was to continue doing the SAME ECs/volunteering throughout undergrad. I didn't really enjoy some of the volunteering/extracurriculars I did this year, so I'm planning to move on with different stuff... Would that hurt my chances than if I were to continue doing the same thing throughout undergrad?

I'm not planning to apply next year (just finished 1st year), but I just wanted some advice/opinions on the direction I'm headed.

First year gpa: 3.96 (full course load, no courses excluded)

EC/Volunteering:

I don't know if it is worth mentioning anything prior to university but some people above seem to be including them so I'll just list them

- Competitive soccer for 7 years on rep, varsity, and a church team; I stopped playing since starting university not due to time constraints but due to a pretty bad injury.. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to play again

- Volunteer at a spinal cord rehab center for a semester

- Part of a subcommittee for humanitarian relief

- Intern as a field therapist for varsity teams (non-paid, I don't know if this would count as volunteering or EC)

Research:

- No research experience, but I am trying to look for a position next year

Specifically, I was wondering how important it was to continue doing the SAME ECs/volunteering throughout undergrad. I didn't really enjoy some of the volunteering/extracurriculars I did this year, so I'm planning to move on with different stuff... Would that hurt my chances than if I were to continue doing the same thing throughout undergrad?

Well you clearly got your answer. This isn't for you only, but others also: PEOPLE, STOP WORRYING ABOUT WHAT MED THINKS OF YOU!! If you enjoy doing stuff, then do them. If not, then don't. I've had multiple research positions all over and volunteering places have never been more than 2 years each. I think it'll hurt my chances that I don't "commit", but I see undergrad as my time to learn about all the things that interest me. I can say I've enjoyed and learned more than most people, and its because I didn't "worry about being with the same research lab for a good reference letter or cause it looked good". Some people stick with one because they enjoy it a lot but some people stay for the looking-good aspect.

Message: do what you love and learn as much as you can so you don't regret not getting enough experience in undergrad before you get into med.

OMSAS (Alberta)

Year

1 3.81 (3.85)

2 3.82 (3.85)

3 3.87 (3.94)

4 3.85 (3.91)

Best 2 years: OMSAS=3.86, Alberta=3.925

MCAT: 13PS/10VR/12BS

IP for Alberta

EC: 2 summers doing research (3 summers including this one). I should have a 1st author literature review paper by the end of this summer. Did a poster presentation. Tutored science for 3 years. Ran a 10km race and got a medal out of it. Did an intramural. Exec position on 3 clubs for 1 year each. Organized a concert. Volunteered in the same hospital for 7 years. Went on a volunteer abroad trip for a month.

I was waitlisted for every school I got an interview from. I really don't think I'm getting off any of the waitlists btw. My interviews were not great but not terrible either. I only have 4 months before the next cycle of applications start, what should I do to improve my application? I'll also need to find something to do for the next year since I just graduated. Any ideas?

I used to think I had a chance but now I don't know how much of a chance I really have anymore. I feel like sht right now.

If you're getting multiple interviews, you definitely have a chance. While I think each element of your application could be better, none of them are poor either and they've gotten you past the main barrier, which is getting those interviews.

So, the next step is to work on your interviewing skills. Much of that is simply getting comfortable with small talk, along with understanding yourself and your motivations. What you do in the next year can be a significant help towards the goal. Unless you have a back-up plan in mind that you could start pursuing, I would recommend finding work in whatever field seems most appropriate to your future goals. Nothing helps normalize attitudes like the rockiness in the "real" world - and the ability to deal with that rockiness comes across in interviews.

I just want to emphasize that at this point, you should not be giving up. Your chances are still pretty reasonable. Starting thinking of and working towards options besides med school (everyone should be doing that, regardless of the strength of their application), but if medicine is what you want, you should absolutely apply next year and feel fairly confident about your chances.

Hey everyone!

I did a lot of competitive skiing.

Won nationals a few times, and was a finalist at worlds as well. Make sure you talk to your ECs. Highlight why they were so important for you, I feel like that helped me a lot!!

GP

Just graduated and I'm planning on applying next year and I wanted to know what my chances are for Ontario and other schools based only on my GPA and MCAT (assuming my EC's are average to above average)

UofT: 3.92

Ottawa: 3.865

Queens: 3.91 (last 2 years)

Western: >3.7 (for 2 years)

McMaster: 3.81 (cGPA)

Memorial: 3.83

Calgary/Alberta: 3.90

MCAT: 9/9/9 <-- I'm rewriting it again this summer, but I don't really have an estimate on the score I think I'll end up getting)

Guest cw2lu

Why is it that the wGPA is sometimes lower than the cGPA? How can that even make sense? I thought the purpose of the wGPA was to give applicants a GPA increase.

Why is it that the wGPA is sometimes lower than the cGPA? How can that even make sense? I thought the purpose of the wGPA was to give applicants a GPA increase.

Well, schools like McMaster use the cGPA for every class you've ever taken. If you took a few summer courses and did really well, this will result in a higher GPA.

Many of the schools that use wGPA don't include summer courses.

Also, uOttawa's emphasis on later years means that if you started off strong but your GPA steadily declined, your wGPA could be lower than your overall cGPA.

Guest mmhs12345

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you guys could give me a breakdown of what my chances are. Please let me know what you think of my extra curriculars, and what I need to work on.

My first year ( did a full course load) OMSAS gpa is: 3.96

Currently

-Hospital volunteering (half a year so far) (don't really enjoy it).

-Research with a prof (half a year so far)

-Basketball coaching (2 years so far)

-Teachers assistant at a public school (4 years so far)

What i am about to start

- Tutoring this coming school year.

- Seniors home (starting in summer)

- Soup kitchen (starting in summers- will only do in summers, and not year)

- Make a website for kids to go to deal with issues: bulling, weight, parents

etc.

- Perhaps start a club with a friend of mine.

What I did in the past (mostly in high school)

- Teacher's assistant in an international language school

- Volunteered at a day care for a year

- Volunteered at a library for a couple years- teaching kids math and science

and doing miscellaneous work ( sorting books away, making posters)

- I had one job from for 3 months in the summer before university

- For one summer I delivered food for people in need throughout Toronto- but

I don't think the lady (head of that volunteering department) remembers

me.

- high school soccer team for 4 years ( was a captain for one year)

- high school cancer society for 2 years

- high school advanced functions math award

- university entrance scholarship

Thanks.