Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

I'd say it really depends on where you're applying from and which schools you're applying. Your GPA and ECs to me are pretty decent and if you manage to improve that verbal score, I would say you'd make a good applicant for some schools but perhaps not the top tier ones (ie. Toronto, McGill, etc).

Thanks for the feedback. What do you think would be considered second tier schools which I would have a chance at?

Thanks for the feedback. What do you think would be considered second tier schools which I would have a chance at?

Tier was probably the wrong word to use. Any med school that you get in across Canada will be a good one. By "second tier" I'm referring, for example, to being an in-province applicant in Alberta and applying to UofA or UofC and the same thing in BC for UBC.

Ontario schools like UofT and McGill are generally harder to get into but if you get 11+ on verbal, you have a decent shot at McMaster.

As FinalShowTime said though, apply to as many schools as you can. A big portion of the application nowadays is subjective anyway and you never know which admittance committee really like you and which don't.

Tier was probably the wrong word to use. Any med school that you get in across Canada will be a good one. By "second tier" I'm referring, for example, to being an in-province applicant in Alberta and applying to UofA or UofC and the same thing in BC for UBC.

Ontario schools like UofT and McGill are generally harder to get into but if you get 11+ on verbal, you have a decent shot at McMaster.

As FinalShowTime said though, apply to as many schools as you can. A big portion of the application nowadays is subjective anyway and you never know which admittance committee really like you and which don't.

Ah I see what you mean. Thank you, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Hello everyone,

Please let me know what my chances are. Do I have a chance of getting in if I apply for 2015? I'm also thinking about doing my masters and then applying to med school. Would this be a better option? Any advice would be valuable! I'm also rewriting my MCAT this year.

GPA:

First year: 3.96

Second year: 3.78

Third year: 3.69

Fourth: 3.76

MCAT:

Verbal: 8

Physical: 12

Biological: 11

I know I must improve my Verbal score so I'm going to rewrite it in September.

ECs

Decent amount of research experience - two publications (one first author and the other second author)

NSERC Award

Hospital Volunteer in the Mental Health/Palliative Care Ward (200 hours)

Taught summer school as an Educational Assistant to high school students

I volunteer at a local soup kitchen

Served as an executive in a couple of clubs

Thank you.

I think that seeing the type of applicants getting in these days, I'd suggest improving the ECs?

Yes, you are right. I need better EC's. I never really put the effort to go above and beyond in that area. However, I'm really going to focus on improving here. Thanks.

Is it because you're not passionate about what you're doing? ECs shouldn't be something to just check off a list, it should be more natural to go above and beyond if you truly care about what you're involved with.

One tip I give to premeds and myself: "Do what you would continue doing even when you're accepted into med school (time permitting) or if you never get in/give up on trying to get in". I don't care that mine aren't extensive or that I don't have a 10-page CV like some people, but if I get into med (hopefully one day), I know I'll be working with the same causes.

Is it because you're not passionate about what you're doing? ECs shouldn't be something to just check off a list, it should be more natural to go above and beyond if you truly care about what you're involved with.

One tip I give to premeds and myself: "Do what you would continue doing even when you're accepted into med school (time permitting) or if you never get in/give up on trying to get in". I don't care that mine aren't extensive or that I don't have a 10-page CV like some people, but if I get into med (hopefully one day), I know I'll be working with the same causes.

Good point. I think I never really explored what I loved to do in terms of volunteering. I saw it as an optional chore. However, I came to realize that volunteering can be fun and rewarding (not just a tool to pad your application). I think I'll try other places this summer and see where it takes me.

Good point. I think I never really explored what I loved to do in terms of volunteering. I saw it as an optional chore. However, I came to realize that volunteering can be fun and rewarding (not just a tool to pad your application). I think I'll try other places this summer and see where it takes me.

extracurriculars don't necessarily mean volunteering - can include things you do for fun too (sports, music)

I appreciate your attitude :) most people are very defensive when given constructive feedback but you just seem to get it. That really is the beauty of having an undergrad degree. I know a few people who got into med after 2 or 3 years, and now are completely lost about who they are or what direction they want to head in. Use this critical time to find yourself and I believe that one's ECs should not only be a way to explore their options, but also an external way to show someone who they are. If we consider med here for a second and if I were on the admission committee, I'd like to look at someone's application and say "I know what kind of person this really is" before ever even meeting them.

Say to yourself "what does (insert your name here) like to do and what makes me so excited that it often takes away my sleep?" It doesn't matter if it's volunteering at a soup kitchen, playing hockey, or researching a disease that maybe a close family member has/had. It could even be doing something like watching french cinema or scrapbooking or whatever. You are unique and I think any application, whether it be for a job or program at uni, should just reflect that. I don't care how many hours someone volunteers for or what position in an executive club they have, I'd care more about how that experience is a little piece in the whole puzzle called YOU! If your interests aren't "med school worthy" then who cares!! Let the admissions people decide that. Do what you love because at the end of the day, even if you apply 10 times and never get in, you'll be happy doing all these things and you'll know which path you want to take, no matter what career it happens to be in.

In closing, don't try to make your life fit around your med school application; try to make your med school application fit around your life :)

I appreciate your attitude :) most people are very defensive when given constructive feedback but you just seem to get it. That really is the beauty of having an undergrad degree. I know a few people who got into med after 2 or 3 years, and now are completely lost about who they are or what direction they want to head in. Use this critical time to find yourself and I believe that one's ECs should not only be a way to explore their options, but also an external way to show someone who they are. If we consider med here for a second and if I were on the admission committee, I'd like to look at someone's application and say "I know what kind of person this really is" before ever even meeting them.

Say to yourself "what does (insert your name here) like to do and what makes me so excited that it often takes away my sleep?" It doesn't matter if it's volunteering at a soup kitchen, playing hockey, or researching a disease that maybe a close family member has/had. It could even be doing something like watching french cinema or scrapbooking or whatever. You are unique and I think any application, whether it be for a job or program at uni, should just reflect that. I don't care how many hours someone volunteers for or what position in an executive club they have, I'd care more about how that experience is a little piece in the whole puzzle called YOU! If your interests aren't "med school worthy" then who cares!! Let the admissions people decide that. Do what you love because at the end of the day, even if you apply 10 times and never get in, you'll be happy doing all these things and you'll know which path you want to take, no matter what career it happens to be in.

In closing, don't try to make your life fit around your med school application; try to make your med school application fit around your life :)

Great post. I think people in general should start doing activities that are fulfilling to them. Life is too short to waste it on things that we don't enjoy. I had some issues in university, especially after first year. I was lost and miserable. Only recently did I realize the error of my ways. I started pursuing things that brought me happiness. For instance, I took up playing the violin again after a long time last year and I have started running. You are right. Extracurriculars aren't just something to put on your resume, they are a part of who you are as a person.

Hey guys,

Here's what I'm working with.

GPA:

1st year: 3.60

2nd year: 3.65

3rd year: 3.97

4th year: 4.0

MCAT:

31 (11 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS)

EC's (300ish hours of volunteer):

Played Junior B hockey while in school for years 1 and 2 (still play in men's league)

Formally trained in guitar, mandolin, violin and voice

Part of a band for 2+ years playing shows locally, practicing 1-2x per week.

Volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, local food bank for 3+ years, volunteer with three different organizations at my university, old high school in leadership position for 3 years, and play violin to patients at the hospital.

Organized a fundraiser for a handicapped women raising over $50k

Awarded NSERC USRA 2x, have undergraduate research course credit, poster presentation, etc.

I really enjoy all of my EC's, and thought they were a strong point, however they ranked below average from each school I applied to last year. Are there any tips to make them better, or is it mostly in the write-up?

I'm hoping to apply to 4 or 5 schools this upcoming cycle. I'm AB resident. I got rejected pre-interview for Calgary and post-interview for Alberta. Wondering if you guys could suggest some schools that I might be competitive for (I know Dalhousie takes your 2 best GPA years which helps me)? I know deep down that I probably need to re-take the MCAT but I'm going to apply one more year to see how I do.

Anyways, thanks so much for taking some time reading this. I'm looking forward to responses!

Hey guys,

Here's what I'm working with.

GPA:

1st year: 3.60

2nd year: 3.65

3rd year: 3.97

4th year: 4.0

MCAT:

31 (11 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS)

EC's (300ish hours of volunteer):

Played Junior B hockey while in school for years 1 and 2 (still play in men's league)

Formally trained in guitar, mandolin, violin and voice

Part of a band for 2+ years playing shows locally, practicing 1-2x per week.

Volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, local food bank for 3+ years, volunteer with three different organizations at my university, old high school in leadership position for 3 years, and play violin to patients at the hospital.

Organized a fundraiser for a handicapped women raising over $50k

Awarded NSERC USRA 2x, have undergraduate research course credit, poster presentation, etc.

I really enjoy all of my EC's, and thought they were a strong point, however they ranked below average from each school I applied to last year. Are there any tips to make them better, or is it mostly in the write-up?

I'm hoping to apply to 4 or 5 schools this upcoming cycle. I'm AB resident. I got rejected pre-interview for Calgary and post-interview for Alberta. Wondering if you guys could suggest some schools that I might be competitive for (I know Dalhousie takes your 2 best GPA years which helps me)? I know deep down that I probably need to re-take the MCAT but I'm going to apply one more year to see how I do.

Anyways, thanks so much for taking some time reading this. I'm looking forward to responses!

Are all those years full time? If so, you have a good shot at UofT since they can apply their weighting formula which may offset your lower GPA years. Apply to Mac as well, as a strong CASPer performance can outweigh your 9 in VIR (bear in mind though that Mac does have less interviews reserved for out of province applicants). Your MCAT score makes you ineligible at UWO, but if those last 3 years are full time you may have a decent shot at uOttawa.

Are all those years full time? If so, you have a good shot at UofT since they can apply their weighting formula which may offset your lower GPA years. Apply to Mac as well, as a strong CASPer performance can outweigh your 9 in VIR (bear in mind though that Mac does have less interviews reserved for out of province applicants). Your MCAT score makes you ineligible at UWO, but if those last 3 years are full time you may have a decent shot at uOttawa.

Yeah all the years are full time. Thanks for the replies guys. So you think that my IP schools (UofA, UofC), Mac, UofT, Dalhousie are my best shots? And then maybe UOttawa and McGill?

Hey guys,

I wanted some suggestions from you guys about my options so far as I have no clue at this point where in Ontario I could stand a chance of getting in.

I just finished my first year in second undergraduate degree with a 3.86 GPA, I would have had a better GPA if it wasn't for the C in organic chemistry II (although my fault as I was working the previous 2 days before exam). I took 5 courses in both semesters. I was also working part-time (casual) at a hospital and still currently do in the health care field having direct patient contact (I am not in nursing). My decision to do a second UG was because in my first degree my CGPA was a 2.9 but I managed to receive a volunteer award because of my extra-currical activities (Education Committee, Student Council, intra-murals). While doing my first degree I was not planning to do medicine, this was a decision I made after completing my first degree. I am still working at the hospital and studying for the MCAT to be written in September, I plan on taking it again by December of this year if my VR score is under 10.

Current EC's

Student Mentor in the Mature/Transfer Student mentorship program

Part-time work at hospital

President of student club I started

Running (5x a week)

Member of Toastmasters (competent communicator award)

My EC's this year haven't been decent (in my opinion) because it really was difficult to manage full time school and work at hospital as well.

I will be going to second year in September and hopefully get a higher GPA which will boost up my last 2 full years GPA to a 3.9. If anyone could give me some advice on where I stand that would be great. At this point I am not ruling out US schools if Ontario does not work out. I plant to apply in the next cycle (September 2015), at start of my third year.

Hey guys,

I wanted some suggestions from you guys about my options so far as I have no clue at this point where in Ontario I could stand a chance of getting in.

I just finished my first year in second undergraduate degree with a 3.86 GPA, I would have had a better GPA if it wasn't for the C in organic chemistry II (although my fault as I was working the previous 2 days before exam). I took 5 courses in both semesters. I was also working part-time (casual) at a hospital and still currently do in the health care field having direct patient contact (I am not in nursing). My decision to do a second UG was because in my first degree my CGPA was a 2.9 but I managed to receive a volunteer award because of my extra-currical activities (Education Committee, Student Council, intra-murals). While doing my first degree I was not planning to do medicine, this was a decision I made after completing my first degree. I am still working at the hospital and studying for the MCAT to be written in September, I plan on taking it again by December of this year if my VR score is under 10.

Current EC's

Running (5x a week)

My EC's this year haven't been decent (in my opinion) because it really was difficult to manage full time school and work at hospital as well.

I will be going to second year in September and hopefully get a higher GPA which will boost up my last 2 full years GPA to a 3.9. If anyone could give me some advice on where I stand that would be great. At this point I am not ruling out US schools if Ontario does not work out. I plant to apply in the next cycle (September 2015), at start of my third year.

Your options are fairly limited, unfortunately. U of T would be out, so would Mac. Ottawa might be possible after your third year, but likely not before that. Your best chances are Queen's and, if you graduate at the end of your third year, Western.

For Queen's and Western, your MCAT is the main hurdle, so it's hard to evaluate chances until that's written. After that, ECs are what matter for Queen's (as well as Ottawa). Working at the hospital can be a big plus, depending on your role, and the rest for this year doesn't look bad, it's just not stellar either. ECs from your previous undergrad can certainly help as well.

Right now, your path forward is pretty simple. First, maintain a strong GPA. Second, get a solid MCAT score. Third, continue to improve your ECs, particularly ones which involve defined responsibility, lead to identifiable results, or which are notably difficult to complete. Awards, completed projects, or if you wade into research, presentations/posters/publications are all great to help you stand out on ECs.

GPA (last three years)

2012: 3.72 (28 credits)

2013: 3.93 (30 credits)

2014: 3.98 (30 credits)

as for extracurriculars.. would you guys be able to tell if I tell you scores from previous applications?

UBC: 38/50 (average was 30 or low 30s, IP)

Alberta: 9/15 (average was 10, OOP)

Would I have a chance for Ottawa if I'm OOP?

GPA (last three years)

as for extracurriculars.. would you guys be able to tell if I tell you scores from previous applications?

You have a 3.92 wGPA at Ottawa. I think the cutoff for "out of province" applicants is 3.87 so you're good to go! I'm not sure what those numbers for your EC's mean, but having high quality and meaningful EC's is essential.

GPA (last three years)

Sorry for going off-topic but how did you know that Alberta's EC score was out of 15?

Hey guys,

Current EC's

Running (5x a week)

I think you may have miscalculated your GPA. How do you have a 3.86 with a C in a course?

I think you may have miscalculated your GPA. How do you have a 3.86 with a C in a course?

Here is what I had for both semesters.

Fall

1.A+

2.A+

3.A+

4.A

5.A-

Term GPA: 4.12

Winter

1.A+

2.A

3.A

4.A-

5.C

Term GPA: 3.6

CGPA: 3.86

I understand the CGPA will be lower on the OMSAS scale, but not sure by how much.

Here is what I had for both semesters.

Fall

1.A+

2.A+

3.A+

4.A

5.A-

Term GPA: 4.12

Winter

1.A+

2.A

3.A

4.A-

5.C

Term GPA: 3.6

CGPA: 3.86

I understand the CGPA will be lower on the OMSAS scale, but not sure by how much.

Please use the OMSAS table to determine the course-by-course GPA and average those to get your term GPA or cGPA. Right now, I figure that it's quite a bit lower than 3.86, very close to the cutoff for Western and Queen's. You'll need a significant bump in your GPA to be competitive for Ottawa with those numbers, so the MCAT becomes even more important.

Please use the OMSAS table to determine the course-by-course GPA and average those to get your term GPA or cGPA. Right now, I figure that it's quite a bit lower than 3.86, very close to the cutoff for Western and Queen's. You'll need a significant bump in your GPA to be competitive for Ottawa with those numbers, so the MCAT becomes even more important.

Thanks for the scale. Yes, I figured it would be lower for sure. I am going to be finishing the degree in the next 2 years, wouldn't the last 2 year rule apply for Western, therefore the C wouldn't even count in the 2 year GPA calc.

Thanks for the scale. Yes, I figured it would be lower for sure. I am going to be finishing the degree in the next 2 years, wouldn't the last 2 year rule apply for Western, therefore the C wouldn't even count in the 2 year GPA calc.

Western is best two years (Queen's is last two years), so this year could still count if one of your other years are worse. I think you're just above their traditional cutoff of 3.70, which is good, but it has risen to 3.75 for a year before.

Ottawa is where the difference between the GPA you gave initially and your actual GPA matters more. They have pretty high GPA requirements and while this year won't count for too much in their calculation, it'll still mean you'd have to do that much better in your final two years. It wouldn't be your best shot for a school anyway, but your other main options require a fairly strong MCAT (Western in particular), which isn't a guarantee (for anyone).