Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Premeds,

Im going into my fourth year. From reading these forums I feel that applying to Ontario will be rather a stab in the dark especially with my average gpa. Would it be better to just forget Ontario and focus on the US?

GPA

1st Year 3.77

2nd Year 3.76 ( 9 courses) Took two courses in summer

3rd Year 3.91

4th Year probably around 3.8-3.9

MCAT - 34

PS 13

BS 12

VR 9

ECs

-Tutored math science French about 2 years

-Volunteering at senior home 2 year

-Shadowed a pediatrician for 20hrs

-Team Captain for 2 years for a high school trivia team

-Worked as a greeter in a restaurant for about a year and a half

-Worked in a warehouse for a couple months

-Helped Translate texts for this independent film

- Worked as a swim instructor for 2 years

-Worked as lifeguard for 3 years have some extra certs like first aid instructor, advanced airway management ect..

-Took scuba diving courses and went on a couple of group dives over one summer

-Hospital volunteering 3 years.

- Worked and volunteered at a facility that caters to children with mental disabilities for about 3 years. I essentially played games with kids all day. Still work there.

- Volunteered in 2 labs and for one of them did a research related course.

- 3 random one time volunteer things

- prep101 evaluator- I helped choose who’d be the best in tutoring kids

Hey Premeds,

Im going into my fourth year. From reading these forums I feel that applying to Ontario will be rather a stab in the dark especially with my average gpa. Would it be better to just forget Ontario and focus on the US?

GPA

1st Year 3.77

3rd Year 3.91

MCAT - 34

PS 13

BS 12

VR 9

ECs

-Worked as lifeguard for 3 years have some extra certs like first aid instructor, advanced airway management ect..

- Worked and volunteered at a facility that caters to children with mental disabilities for about 3 years. I essentially played games with kids all day. Still work there.

Yeah, with your stats, you should be looking into the States. Unless you're SWOMEN, you have no chance at Western and you'd have to do exceptionally well on CASPer to get an interview at Mac. Queen's also has a 10 VR cutoff. You might have a chance at UofT and Ottawa though, but make sure they're okay with your second year because they might not consider it as 'full time'.

Yeah, with your stats, you should be looking into the States. Unless you're SWOMEN, you have no chance at Western and you'd have to do exceptionally well on CASPer to get an interview at Mac. Queen's also has a 10 VR cutoff. You might have a chance at UofT and Ottawa though, but make sure they're okay with your second year because they might not consider it as 'full time'.

Ok thanks. What if i brought up my verbal to the cutoffs? Would it be worth spending the money for an app?

This is too harsh, IMO. If you apply coast to coast for all schools you meet cutoffs for[and potential weighing formula's] you still have a low-to-fair chance somewhere. UBC/Dal/McGill/any IP schools, MAC, UofT, Ott....if I were you I would keep trying.

This is too harsh, IMO. If you apply coast to coast for all schools you meet cutoffs for[and potential weighing formula's] you still have a low-to-fair chance somewhere. UBC/Dal/McGill/any IP schools, MAC, UofT, Ott....if I were you I would keep trying.

Yeah, UBC doesn't put a lot of emphasis with the MCAT, so as long as you're >90% average you should stand a shot at an interview.

If you're applying as an out-of-province student to many of the medical schools (ie, Alberta, Calgary, Manitoba...), you definitely need a high MCAT. Calgary has a 11 VR cutoff for OOP applicants, and I believe the other praire medical schools also have high MCAT cutoffs. If you're an OOP applicant at McGill, you're competing for a total of "up to 11 seats", and the MCAT/GPA cutoffs are usually much, much higher. However, if you're in province at any medical school that's not in Ontario, you definitely have a much higher chance.

Hey Premeds,

GPA

1st Year 3.77

3rd Year 3.91

MCAT - 34

PS 13

BS 12

VR 9

ECs

I had a 9VR (34 MCAT overall), a 3.89 OMSAS GPA, and I also didn't take a full course load in my 2nd year (no weighting for UofT). I got into Toronto and Dal, so it is completely possible :). I was in 2nd year of my MSc when I applied however.

Out of undergrad (2011), I received interviews to UofT, Mac, and Dal with the same GPA and MCAT score. My interview skills definitely held me back then though. With that said, definitely apply!!! :D

This province is messed. I don't understand how a 34 mcat even with a 9 VR makes u uncompetitive. Anywhere else in north America a 3.8ish gpa and that kind of mcat gives u pretty decent chances. This is frustrating.

36 with a 10 VR here and no interviews this past cycle in ON. It's a little bananas.

I'm starting an MPH in the fall and will be applying with this MCAT again next summer/fall, maybe the mixed population of pre- and post-2015 MCATs will help us (is it crazy to think that the # of 11+ VRs will be much lower next summer without a fresh batch of old MCATs having been written?)

If anything looks like we'll have to write the 2015 version and haul some ass.

Finally a chance to do this up properly before applications:

IP Alberta

GPA Full-course load each year.

1st year: 3.78 (OMSAS: 3.74)

2nd year: 3.91 (OMSAS: 3.84)

3rd year: 4.00 (OMSAS: 3.94)

cGPA: 3.90

wGPA (UofA/UofC): 3.96

cGPA OMSAS: 3.84

wGPA (UofT): 3.89

MCAT

09/11/10 (PS/VR/BS) = 30

ECs:

- 2 summer researches (medical anthro + cultural competency)

- 1 long-term AMD research program (3 years now)

- independent study on global health topics; got help from the RN to create a 'healthy living in canada' presentation for my ESL students (1 semester)

- run an after school sports program in inner city (2 years)

- founded a research panel monthly event for undergrads (3 years)

- unite for sight ghana (1 month; last august)

- volunteer for group that holds monthly eye screenings at inner city schools; i became chair for this upcoming year (2 years)

- esl teaching assistant + homework club tutor at immigrant centre (2 years)

- club exec that holds monthly dinners for homeless community (2 years)

- city of edmonton youth council; equity subcommittee creating a documentary about our homeless youth (2 years)

- volunteer coordinator for cancer support centre (6 months)

- 2 x $10,000 prestigious academic/leadership awards from our university

- other smaller academic scholarships (Rutherford, Jason Lang), but hoping for a bigger one with this last year's gpa

- couple of stipends for research summers and a professional development grant that paid for my ghana trip

- research summer posters and abstracts, no pubs

I'd like to know my chances in my IP schools (UofA and UofC), and potentially at some ontario schools like UofT, Ottawa, McMaster. I know ontario schools with my stats is a complete shot in the dark, but if I have any chance, I'd like to take it. MCAT is awful but I was lucky to get an 11 in VR for UofC and McMaster...should i retake it this year? Lay it on me people, and be super critical and harsh so I can learn :)

It'd be great if I could get some objective opinions on my stats - I'm going to be a 4th year IP applicant for UofA/UofC and OOP for UBC, McMaster, and maybe some other Ontario schools. 

cGPA: 3.87

MCAT: Will do on August 27th - scoring in the 30-33 range on the AAMCs :(

ECs (not exhaustive but you get the idea): 

- Summer work experience at random places (Theatre, Airport, etc) for a few years. 

- 2 years academic tutor

- around a 1000 total volunteer hours at different places (Junior high school, sports coaching, clinic, etc)

- Social programs director for my community (7 months)

- Founder/president of an awareness student group

- chief organizer for an event to discuss national/global issues in medicine. 

- co-founder/co-director of a school program for chronic disease prevention

- Piano/drums for around 12 years with several live performances. 

- Developed and programmed a few educational apps on the apple/itunes store.

- 2 months experience in a pharmacy research program

I'd just like to know what I should a realistic MCAT score would be for me to have a decent chance at getting accepted. Cheers!

Finally a chance to do this up properly before applications:

IP Alberta

GPA Full-course load each year.

1st year: 3.78 (OMSAS: 3.74)

2nd year: 3.91 (OMSAS: 3.84)

3rd year: 4.00 (OMSAS: 3.94)

cGPA: 3.90

wGPA (UofA/UofC): 3.96

cGPA OMSAS: 3.84

wGPA (UofT): 3.89

MCAT

09/11/10 (PS/VR/BS) = 30

ECs:

- 2 summer researches (medical anthro + cultural competency)

- 1 long-term AMD research program (3 years now)

- independent study on global health topics; got help from the RN to create a 'healthy living in canada' presentation for my ESL students (1 semester)

- run an after school sports program in inner city (2 years)

- founded a research panel monthly event for undergrads (3 years)

- unite for sight ghana (1 month; last august)

- volunteer for group that holds monthly eye screenings at inner city schools; i became chair for this upcoming year (2 years)

- esl teaching assistant + homework club tutor at immigrant centre (2 years)

- club exec that holds monthly dinners for homeless community (2 years)

- city of edmonton youth council; equity subcommittee creating a documentary about our homeless youth (2 years)

- volunteer coordinator for cancer support centre (6 months)

- 2 x $10,000 prestigious academic/leadership awards from our university

- other smaller academic scholarships (Rutherford, Jason Lang), but hoping for a bigger one with this last year's gpa

- couple of stipends for research summers and a professional development grant that paid for my ghana trip

- research summer posters and abstracts, no pubs

I'd like to know my chances in my IP schools (UofA and UofC), and potentially at some ontario schools like UofT, Ottawa, McMaster. I know ontario schools with my stats is a complete shot in the dark, but if I have any chance, I'd like to take it. MCAT is awful but I was lucky to get an 11 in VR for UofC and McMaster...should i retake it this year? Lay it on me people, and be super critical and harsh so I can learn :)

I'll comment on the Ontario schools only since I don't know enough about the Albertan schools. At Ottawa your GPA is too low for an OOP applicant, since they have very high GPA cutoffs. You've got a decent research base, so U of T is definitely a possibility, though your wGPA is a bit on the low side for them. So, getting an interview at U of T could go either way, which means it's worth applying there. Mac's a bit of a crapshoot for everyone and your stats there are about middle-of-the-pack. It'll probably still take a strong CASPer, particularly because you're OOP, but also definitely a school worth sending off an application to. Unless you qualify for NOSM's rural status, that'll likely do it for Ontario schools if only because of your MCAT, but you have some options in Ontario so it wouldn't hurt to apply there in addition to Albertan schools.

It'd be great if I could get some objective opinions on my stats - I'm going to be a 4th year IP applicant for UofA/UofC and OOP for UBC, McMaster, and maybe some other Ontario schools. 

cGPA: 3.87

MCAT: Will do on August 27th - scoring in the 30-33 range on the AAMCs :(

ECs (not exhaustive but you get the idea): 

- Summer work experience at random places (Theatre, Airport, etc) for a few years. 

- 2 years academic tutor

- around a 1000 total volunteer hours at different places (Junior high school, sports coaching, clinic, etc)

- Social programs director for my community (7 months)

- Founder/president of an awareness student group

- chief organizer for an event to discuss national/global issues in medicine. 

- co-founder/co-director of a school program for chronic disease prevention

- Piano/drums for around 12 years with several live performances. 

- Developed and programmed a few educational apps on the apple/itunes store.

- 2 months experience in a pharmacy research program

I'd just like to know what I should a realistic MCAT score would be for me to have a decent chance at getting accepted. Cheers!

Again, I'll comment for Ontario only because I don't know Alberta well enough. Mac, Western, and Queen's will all depend on your MCAT. An 11+ VR would be ideal for Mac, while Western's 9/11/12 cutoff from last cycle would still make sense as the goal there. Mac'll still require a decent CASPer performance, especially since you're OOP. Queen's is always a bit of a crapshoot, but your ECs seem decent overall with some interesting elements to them, so it's a good place to apply to if your MCAT is high enough (9/10/10, likely with at least a 32 total based on last cycle's cutoff).

Depending on the distribution of your marks, your wGPA may be below the neccessary level for U of T and Ottawa, so check their websites for their GPA weighting scheme and see where you stand. Your ECs are a little less tailored to Ottawa and especially U of T, so they'd still be tougher schools to gain admissions to, but if your wGPA is ok for them (and you hit U of T's relatively low MCAT requirements), they'd still be worth sending an application to.

Hello Everyone,

Ive posted before in this thread.

Here's an update with my current condition, and would like some advice.

Im heading into my final year of my undergrad program

Here is the break down

Year 1: 3.69

Year 2: 3.84

Year 3: 3.67

cGPA: 3.73

Toronto Weighted Formula: cGPA = 3.85

Western 5.0 Credit per year for the best 2 years: cGPA = 3.86

For Western I only took the highest marks out of my overloaded schedule, I have more than 5.0 credits per year.

Im devastated from the MCAT score I got back recently. I got an 28 (PS/VR/BS) (8/7/13)

ECs / Activities:

2 summers at local hospital

3 summers at a rehab center

5 years commitment of air cadets experience (Got a Pilot License during the 5 years)

Fencing Club (sport) at the University

Currently got an research assistant position at the rehab center

2 term Teaching Assistant for a Microbiology Laboratory course 

Am I out of the competition? 

Id Figure that I am now out of the league for applying to Ottawa, Toronto, Western, and that pretty much rules out most of the Ontario Schools. 

Should I rewrite the MCAT in september, and see how it goes? 

Or do you guys think 2015 MCAT would be a better option?

Again, I'll comment for Ontario only because I don't know Alberta well enough. Mac, Western, and Queen's will all depend on your MCAT. An 11+ VR would be ideal for Mac, while Western's 9/11/12 cutoff from last cycle would still make sense as the goal there. Mac'll still require a decent CASPer performance, especially since you're OOP. Queen's is always a bit of a crapshoot, but your ECs seem decent overall with some interesting elements to them, so it's a good place to apply to if your MCAT is high enough (9/10/10, likely with at least a 32 total based on last cycle's cutoff).

Depending on the distribution of your marks, your wGPA may be below the neccessary level for U of T and Ottawa, so check their websites for their GPA weighting scheme and see where you stand. Your ECs are a little less tailored to Ottawa and especially U of T, so they'd still be tougher schools to gain admissions to, but if your wGPA is ok for them (and you hit U of T's relatively low MCAT requirements), they'd still be worth sending an application to.

Thanks for the feedback! If it matters, my GPA for the last two years have been 3.90 and 4.00 with my first year pulling the overall down a little. Can I ask what you mean by my ECs being less tailored to Ottawa and especially U of T? Is it the amount of research or the overall sense that you get from them? Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback! If it matters, my GPA for the last two years have been 3.90 and 4.00 with my first year pulling the overall down a little. Can I ask what you mean by my ECs being less tailored to Ottawa and especially U of T? Is it the amount of research or the overall sense that you get from them? Thanks again!

Later-year high GPAs definitely help for Ottawa - that'd probably put you in range to be considered, though it's still an uphill battle as an OOP applicant there. In terms of ECs, I guess I more meant that they really fit what Queen's is looking for, since they're relatively unique, diverse, and long-term, which Queen's seems to prefer. Ottawa looks like it's leaning that way a bit too, so I really shouldn't say they're not tailored to Ottawa. For U of T, yes, I'm talking about research, since U of T really does like research. That said, many U of T med students have zero research experience going in, so it's not like they insist on a strong research background either!

Hello Everyone,

Ive posted before in this thread.
Here's an update with my current condition, and would like some advice.
Im heading into my final year of my undergrad program

Here is the break down

Year 1: 3.69
Year 2: 3.84
Year 3: 3.67

cGPA: 3.73

Toronto Weighted Formula: cGPA = 3.85
Western 5.0 Credit per year for the best 2 years: cGPA = 3.86

For Western I only took the highest marks out of my overloaded schedule, I have more than 5.0 credits per year.

Im devastated from the MCAT score I got back recently. I got an 28 (PS/VR/BS) (8/7/13)

ECs / Activities:

2 summers at local hospital
3 summers at a rehab center
5 years commitment of air cadets experience (Got a Pilot License during the 5 years)
Fencing Club (sport) at the University
Currently got an research assistant position at the rehab center
2 term Teaching Assistant for a Microbiology Laboratory course 

Am I out of the competition? 

Id Figure that I am now out of the league for applying to Ottawa, Toronto, Western, and that pretty much rules out most of the Ontario Schools. 

Should I rewrite the MCAT in september, and see how it goes? 
Or do you guys think 2015 MCAT would be a better option?

You're certainly not out of the competition, but you've got some work to do. Your GPA is too low for Ottawa and likely too low for U of T without a graduate degree, though it's at least within striking distance - particularly if you have a strong 4th year. Still, the MCAT's what'll really hold you back, since your score is too low for Queen's, Western, Mac, and U of T. If you feel you can improve your score by then, absolutely rewrite the MCAT in September. Really, aside from a one-score bump in Physical Sciences - a very achievable increase - your main trouble is the VR section, so making the necessary improvements to your MCAT score in that time is doable. However, it's all up to your confidence level and whether you have enough time to practice - I don't see anything wrong with taking a longer approach and focusing on the 2015 MCAT if you'd feel more comfortable taking that route.

Just got my MCAT scores and thinking I am very limited in where to apply in Canada:

cGPA 3.84

MCAT 11PS/11/VR/10BS

Ontario resident

Mature non-traditional (B.Mus, 16 years a teacher) applicant

Limited to no time spent living/working in rural communities

I don't have any lab courses from my undergraduate, but do have some music psychology research experience.

Where is it even worth applying in Canada?  So far I've come up with

Possible based on pre-requisites:

Calgary

NOSM??? (no Northern/Rural qualfying)

Western (not SW Ontario and BS too low?)

McMaster

U of T

Queens (BS non-starter???)

Dalhousie

Memorial

Not possible based on pre-requisites:

University of Alberta

UBC

Saskatchewan

Manitoba

NOSM???

Ottawa

McGill

Other Quebec

Should I consider Caribbean, Ireland, Poland,....????

Thanks for any input.

Just got my MCAT scores and thinking I am very limited in where to apply in Canada:

cGPA 3.84

MCAT 11PS/11/VR/10BS

Ontario resident

I don't have any lab courses from my undergraduate, but do have some music psychology research experience.

Calgary

McMaster

U of T

Dalhousie

Memorial

University of Alberta

UBC

Saskatchewan

Manitoba

NOSM???

Ottawa

McGill

Other Quebec

Thanks for any input.

Your MCAT is borderline for Queen's (Bio section and overall score), but should meet their cutoff if it holds from last cycle. Mac's certainly a possibility - your VR/cGPA combo isn't going to do you any favours there, but it won't hold you back either. An above-average CASPer would probably get you an interview there. U of T would depend on your weighted GPA there, since your cGPA is below what they normally accept.

NOSM's out if you have no rural/northern connection. Western's almost certainly out due to Bio score, though if money isn't a major issue, an application there couldn't hurt - the Bio cutoff isn't likely to fall back to its previous level of 10, but it's not impossible either.

I can't comment well on the other schools, but when it comes to pure GPA/MCAT cutoffs, their websites should have all the information you need, and the threads for accepted/rejected applicants should give you a sense of what's needed beyond the stated cutoffs.

You've got options in Canada, so I would strongly advise against considering IMG schools. I'd recommend US schools above those outside North America, but if you didn't have labs, then there's a good chance you're missing the pre-reqs to most of the US schools. In any case, IMG schools really should be a last resort, particularly for someone starting a second career - it's a long, exhausting, and very risky path to take.

cGPA 3.84

MCAT 11PS/11/VR/10BS

Ontario resident

Calgary

McMaster

U of T

Dalhousie

Memorial

University of Alberta

UBC

Saskatchewan

Manitoba

NOSM???

Ottawa

McGill

Other Quebec

Thanks for any input.

I wouldn't recommend your last "considerations". If you wait a year, U of A removed their pre-reqs so you could apply there. A 32 isn't a bad score either. So you might stand a chance.

I believe Saskatchewan you meet as well since you would be OP? So I would add that one as well. 

OUT-OF-PROVINCE RESIDENTS

All out-of-province resident applicants must meet both Sections 1 and 2 (below) of the following Academic Requirements to apply for admission:

1. MCAT Requirement. All Out-of-Province applicants must complete the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) prior to application. Scores on the Verbal Reasoning, Physical Sciences and Biological Sciences sections must total a minimum of 30 (no score less than 8 on any section).  Selection of applicants invited to interview will be based on the MCAT Verbal Reasoning + Physical Sciences + Biological Sciences total score (MCAT Sum), with the Verbal Reasoning score being used to break ties.  Scores must be obtained in one sitting      prior to the application deadline and current within the last 5 years (earliest accepted scores for 2015 entry are 2010).  The maximum number of times an applicant may take the MCAT is 5 times (additional sittings will not be accepted unless preapproved in writing by the Admissions Office, College of Medicine).  While prerequisites are not mandatory for students applying under the “MCAT” requirement, applicants are strongly encouraged to complete equivalent/similar courses (particularly the biochemistry courses) to ensure readiness for the basic sciences covered in the first two years of the undergraduate medical curriculum.  Registration for the MCAT is online at www.aamc.org/mcat

2. Degree Requirement.  Application by out-of-province applicants can be made only during or after the final year of a four-year Baccalaureate degree.  If a four-year degree is completed prior to application, course-work for the degree must have been completed within a 60 month period.  If applicants are in the final year of a four-year degree, a minimum of 90 credit units must have been completed in the 48 months prior to the end of August immediately before application.  All courses completed at the date of application will be used for calculation of the grade-point-average (GPA).  The minimum GPA required for application will be 83.0%.  The four-year degree must be completed by the time study of medicine starts.  All remaining courses completed after the date of application must minimally average 83.0%.