Premed 101 Forums

class sizes

Guest newfoundlander06

Guest newfoundlander06

Hey, can anybody tell me what the classes are like for undergrad science students (not med)? I am planning on going to Mac next year, but since it is in a big city I am wondering how big the class sizes are. Also, do you really get to know your professors, or are there too many students to really get to know your prof?

Guest MDHopefully2005

I think you're question really depends on what classes you are taking....I did my undergrad at Mac, and in some courses I was one of 500, while in others I was one of 20...the higher up you go the less people per class though it seems. If it's prof recognition you're interested in (for references etc) try to find a good prof and go and work in their lab...that way you'll get to learn about research, get your face seen, and make a good impression on a prof who might not know you from the rest of the crowd otherwise!

Guest newfoundlander06

Thx alot. And about going to Mac, is the curriculum developed so that people coming from a 12 grade will be able to understand it, as well as coming from the 13 grade system?

Guest peachy
is the curriculum developed so that people coming from a 12 grade will be able to understand it, as well as coming from the 13 grade system?
Who has a 13 grade system any more?

Guest newfoundlander06

I was talking to my highschool guidance councellor and he said that there are still some places in Canada that have the 13 grade system? I'm not sure which areas he was referring to though..?

Guest MDHopefully2005

Because everywhere should be a 12 year system now, the school is definitley catered to someone with 12 years (and not the previous 13). You've probably heard before that year one of uni is much like the last year of highschool -- content wise, not necessarily taught in the same way. You have to remember that there is very little consistency between different highschools, and uni's take this into account and start in most cases from step 1....you're lucky that you're not the first cohort year though, because a lot of the little kinks should be worked out by now, and hopefully you're first year will go smoothly!

Archived