Premed 101 Forums

Summer volunteering

p3t3r1

I don't think it would. I think that the main thing that adcoms are looking for in your volunteer work is proof that you are willing to give some of your time to your community. I suppose that if you were able to keep up your volunteer commitments during the year it would show that you have good time management skills, but imho, I don't think its really a big deal.

Do you guys have any volunteering suggestions?

I am volunteering with an organization that help disabled children. Like tutoring the children, preparing them for the school, arranging camps for them………….

I am very satisfied with that, but frankly I see that most of my friends (and people in this forum) are volunteering in hospitals.

So any suggestions?

I could be wrong here, but I don't think it matters in the least what you volunteer at... they want to see that you can balance maintaining a high GPA with other stuff (volunteer, work, etc). I never volunteered in a hospital, and it worked out just fine. Do something you like.

What you're doing sounds great. I actually wouldn't really recommend hospital volunteering... the process of getting in (applications, interviews, reference letters, medical tests, and it goes on) is a pain in the butt, and I found it a pretty useless experience. They don't let you do anything actually interesting, at least not where I was.

Hospital volunteering is actually a bit too cliche in a way... what you're doing is more unique, and that's good.

Hospital volunteering process isn't that bad. I had the same interviews, medical test, reference check etc at other non profit organizations..

Whatever you do.. don't apply for clerical volunteering at the hospital (information desk, office assistant etc..) its really boring and you get to sit on your butt all day.

Btw, thanks for all the comments.

________

Xnxx

Archived