Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS application: referees

Yes, referees are the people who will be writing your letters of recommendation. You need to fill out their contact info on that section and then print out the confidential assessment form, which you give to your referees to fill out.

Does anybody know if OMSAS will accept letters from Interfolio? I'm doing American applications as well and it would make things a lot easier for my referees if they could send their letters to one place and only write one letter but when I emailed them, they gave me a standard reply of:

Please be advised :

The Confidential Assessment Forms must be forwarded to the

referees, who should, in turn, forward the completed forms

directly to OMSAS. Referees should attach a separate letter,

printed on their usual stationery, elaborating on the

information provided on the assessment form. The medical

schools will not be able to give the applicant full consideration

without this additional information.

I took the "directly to OMSAS" to mean "no" but just wanted see if anyone else has experience with this. Thanks!

I am also applying to American schools but I've noticed that the majority of Canadian schools have forms for each of the referees that have to accompany the letter. I've been using interfolio for American applications but then giving my referees forms+stamped/addressed envelopes for the Canadian schools. If they have already written you a letter for interfolio/virtual evals, they really just need to print it off and check a few boxes on the omsas form. Sorry, that doesn't really answer the question because I don't know for sure. I thought I had read somewhere they didn't accept the letters from online ref. but now I can't find any mention of that explicitly....

Good luck on your apps!!!

thanks Monster (haha that sounds weird)...I think your probably right, I guess I will just have to do that as well...I was hoping I could avoid telling my profs they're going to have to print several letters, you know how stick-up-their ass some profs can be (especially heads of depts).

Thanks and good luck on yours too!

ASK NOW.

A lot of profs go on vacation for the summer so it's hard to get a hold of them. When September rolls around, they start teaching classes and have a greater workload and will likely take longer. At least if you give them the forms now, they have lots of time to do it and you don't have to feel bad when you have to bug them in September because they still haven't done it even though you gave them ample time.

Archived