Premed 101 Forums

US Med School Ochem Requirements?

Guest neoking77

Guest neoking77

Hello, I'm a to-be-sophomore at UBC. For this upcoming winter session, I registered for chem 233 and 235 and 205. The thing about these courses is that one of them is a lecture (233) while the other is a lab (235). Chem 205 is just physical chemistry and does not pertain to ochem whatsoever. UBC requires all Life Science students to take this combination

I know that most American med schools require two organic chem classes with lab components for each in 1 school year. But does anyone know if they will accept UBC's Chem 233/235/205 combo? I find it kind of absurd if they don't, as UBC only offers the full organic chemistry combo (Chem 203/204) to Biochem and Chem majors.

*Any* help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've had the same issues as you. But if you look into the med admissions websites of each US med school, you will find that most schools either only require 1 semester of o-chem, or you can replace 1 of the 2 semesters of o-chem with 1 sem of biochem. Depending on the school, some require a lab, and some don't.

Since I took chem 233 (lecture) and chem 235 (lab), as well as bioc 303 (lecture) and bioc 301 (lab), I (hope) I covered most of the requirements of each US med school. If you want to be on the "safe" side, maybe you should do that as well.

I'm filling out the secondary for Dartmouth right now and they require 8 semester hours of Ochem. It specifically says Biochem can't be substituted. Maybe it can for some but make sure you check with the schools you're applying to before you waste your money.

I'm filling out the secondary for Dartmouth right now and they require 8 semester hours of Ochem. It specifically says Biochem can't be substituted. Maybe it can for some but make sure you check with the schools you're applying to before you waste your money.

Wait wha??? how is that possible? 6 credit hours = 1 full year course or 1/5 max course load. 9 semester hours makes sense, what is going on?

Wait wha??? how is that possible? 6 credit hours = 1 full year course or 1/5 max course load. 9 semester hours makes sense, what is going on?

Hi,

I emailed them a while ago about the 8 credit hours, and this is what they said:

"Thanks for your message. I am pleased to learn of your interest in DMS.

List the courses with the hours that resulted from the AMCAS conversion. Don't worry if they don't total to 8--as long as you have completed what your university considers its full-year sequence in each area (half-year for calculus).

This isn't an unusual situation for applicants from Canadian institutions. We see it regularly every year."

Archived