Premed 101 Forums

3 Questions about one's year of study, and Non-credit courses

Hi everyone, I have a number of questions regarding the course requirements. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

1) How does UWO handle courses with no gpa, but rather just a "pass" or "fail"? Would it still count among the "5 full courseload credits"?

2) They mention about being able to apply having completed one year with a full courseload. Let's say I'm in my final year, but instead of completing all the program requirements during the Winter term (Jan.-April) like most people, I have to take the following Summer term (May-Aug.) as well in order to get the 20 credits needed. Would I still be able to apply in this case (E.g. Med school starts right after the Summer term), or would I have to wait for the following year?

3) This question is regarding the requirement of having 60% of your courses correspond with your year of study. For simplicity, let's say I just started University. Instead of entering during the Fall term like everyone else, I entered during the Summer term instead, and after that, I earned 1.5 credits.

Now let's say I earned 2.5 credits in the Fall term, and then another 2.5 in the Winter term. With the definition of a 2nd year student as having completed 5 credits, technically, 2nd year would be right in the middle of the Winter term. So how would this all work out? Would I be required to have 60% of my courses at the 200/B level *before*, *during*, or *after* the "transitional" Winter term?

Sorry for the long questions guys and ladies:)

Thank you!

For 1) The courses will be counted as part of 5 full course load requirements.

For 2) You are not eligible to apply, unfortunately, you should have completed your Honours or equivalent by the end of the calendar year (fall/winter) of the application. Your best bet, whatever courses you'll be taking in the last summer immediately prior to the September entry, take them during fall/winter, either on-campus or via distance education, if you like.

For 3) Your level of courses should correspond to the "Year" of your program. If you are registered in the 2nd year, 3 of 5 courses must be in second year level. This must be reflected in fall/winter regular academic year, not summer, as only full loads in the regular fall/winter are being considered.

Because you have taken 2nd year courses in the summer immediately preceding the academic year where you are expected to have three 2nd year out of five courses, you will have to take other 2nd or 3rd year courses in that academic year. You cannot have predominantly 1st year courses in that year, so naturally you will have to take more 2nd (or higher) year courses.

Hi everyone, I have a number of questions regarding the course requirements. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

1) How does UWO handle courses with no gpa, but rather just a "pass" or "fail"? Would it still count among the "5 full courseload credits"?

2) They mention about being able to apply having completed one year with a full courseload. Let's say I'm in my final year, but instead of completing all the program requirements during the Winter term (Jan.-April) like most people, I have to take the following Summer term (May-Aug.) as well in order to get the 20 credits needed. Would I still be able to apply in this case (E.g. Med school starts right after the Summer term), or would I have to wait for the following year?

3) This question is regarding the requirement of having 60% of your courses correspond with your year of study. For simplicity, let's say I just started University. Instead of entering during the Fall term like everyone else, I entered during the Summer term instead, and after that, I earned 1.5 credits.

Now let's say I earned 2.5 credits in the Fall term, and then another 2.5 in the Winter term. With the definition of a 2nd year student as having completed 5 credits, technically, 2nd year would be right in the middle of the Winter term. So how would this all work out? Would I be required to have 60% of my courses at the 200/B level *before*, *during*, or *after* the "transitional" Winter term?

Sorry for the long questions guys and ladies:)

Thank you!

Regarding my question of whether you can finish all your requirements

in the summer immediately preceding September entry; I e-mailed them, and they replied that you can, provided that you send a letter from the school stating that you will have completed all your requirements by then.

Here's the exact e-mail reply:

Hello,

If you are able to complete the requirements in the summer before

medical school that would be acceptable. We would require a letter from your

supervisor in the summer stating that you will have completed all

course work and submitted your thesis prior to enrolment in medical school.

I hope this helps.

M Kennard

Admissions & Student Affairs

Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry

The University of Western Ontario

Good luck everyone!

Archived