Premed 101 Forums

Dumb OMSAS question

Yep... from OMSAS: "The geographical status is determined from the autobiographic sketch. Applicants may be asked to provide evidence of

geographical status."

I think if you've only ever lived in one place and therefore only have activities listed in one province, it's not a big deal if you didn't put your high school on there as the province of residence would be pretty obvious.

However, say you attended high school in Ontario, but then maybe moved to a different province for undergrad and work and are still living there. Mac would count you as out-of-province if you didn't mention in your sketch that you went to high school in Ontario, but you'd be counted as an Ontario resident if you had put it on your sketch.

I have no idea if other schools use that info as well, but it's definitely key for Mac and probably a good idea if you're listing activities from several different provinces.

so in conclusion, we should put it on? even though our personal info already has our hometown and residence?

i mean..doesnt putting high school in just seem like a filler? or would it be warranted if we were in say AP classes or the IB program or Gifted?

Like I said, I think it depends a lot on your personal history. I just know that if I hadn't put it on, McMaster would have counted me as out-of-province. I had emailed them about it previously and they told me to mention it in the sktech.

If you don't move around much, I don't think it's necessary. If you have space, stick it in there, but don't bump something good to make room for it!

Archived