Premed 101 Forums

Carving practice. Where to get it?????

Order some extra soaps, and practice, practice, practice!!! There are some practice carving illustrations in various DAT prep books - check a Canadian university's library for some good books. Once you see how they work, you can make up your own dimensions to carve out. I would also suggest timing yourself to complete the carving within the allotted 30 minutes and then having a friend look it over and "score" it or point out where you could improve. A fresh pair of eyes is helpful to point out some things you may have missed. Then, if you want to be really picky, go back over the carvings you did in the 30 min allotted time and fix them up as best you can.

Only practice will help you improve! I do not suggest using anything other than the official soaps, marker, ruler and knife...these are the tools you will write the test with...so use them to practice!!! And, I also suggest wearing latex gloves so the soap doesn't get all grimy as your palms sweat ;)

Good luck!

M

I want to take the canadian DAT, and Rock The DAT have ignored me completely. Also, their website registration is offline. I've heard their course is great, and I'm willing to fly over to toronto or wherever it is (I go to undergrad in the US).

i don't think you have to worry about Rock The Dat right now, as they don't offer the course during the summer. they offer their course on 2 weekends about a month before the Canadian DAT tests in both February and November. I would suggest if you are having no luck with the website to check back around late August-early September as the course will be taught by the new second year dentistry class from the University of Alberta and they will be getting back from their summer break by then.

I want to take the canadian DAT, and Rock The DAT have ignored me completely. Also, their website registration is offline. I've heard their course is great, and I'm willing to fly over to toronto or wherever it is (I go to undergrad in the US). The only reason I'm taking the canadian DAT is because I'm a quebec resident, so mcgill is the only school I have a shot at with my measley 3.7 gpa. However, if I can't get decent carving training, I'd rather just take the US DAT and apply to schools here. So, does anyone know where I can get decent carving help? thanks

I would suggest that you have a look at the Carving Book published by IQ publications.

Just type "IQ publications Bookstore" in Google.

They have many different samples and tips for this section :)

Archived