Premed 101 Forums

Do dental school prefer applicants from a university with a good reputation

I'm pretty sure dental schools have a grade conversion chart to standardize the universities. Thus reputation would matter less, if at all.

For example (note: I'm guessing for this part): If you're one of those guys who can walk and talk and went to Brock, I think you would have to do *a little* better grade-wise than if you went to say, UofT, Queens, UWO, etc...let's just say a bigger university.

Hope that helps.

It would be a lie to say no they won't. But it's much smaller than many people may believe. This comes into play when considering borderline grades.

I think the effect it has is minimal to the point where it is negligible. I mean, I'm from a really really small university that is definitetly not very prestigious, but many of our alumni have gotten into dents.

Unfortunately it almost plays no factor at all. It would actually be more advantageous to go to a less prestigious university as your grades will very likely be higher. Schools do use a grade conversion chart, but almost all schools on the chart are treated equally. The material you learn at most universities will be the same, but you can be a top student at the less prestigious school, or just average at the prestigious one. It has always surprised me schools do not factor this in more. Which is why I'm a big fan of putting more weight on standaradized tests to distinguish students, but I guess some people don't like them.

Archived