Premed 101 Forums

Applying this cycle versus the next

Hi everyone,

Another long-time lurker here...I've been visiting since my first year, and the wealth of information on this board have just helped me tremendously on many academic and EC decisions over the years. However, I'm kind of stuck in a new dilemma as I'm about to enter my fourth year and ready to start the application process. I would really appreciate some of your insights on what I could do. Here's the situation:

I've done well academically over the years(rough OMSAS cGPA at about 3.89), so I know I'd probably be somewhat competitive. In terms of ECs, I have the average hospital volunteering and club participation, as well as extensive research experience (first author/second author manuscripts in process of publication, poster competition, conferences) However, here's sort of where my problem comes in. I'm hoping to write my MCAT this summer (current date in late Aug) but have just been swamped with research responsibilities, a uni course I'm also taking, as well as volunteering, etc. While I hope I will be ready when the time comes around, I just want to be prepared for the possibility that I might not write the MCAT this summer.

In the scenario that I don't take the MCAT, my options are

A) Apply to only Ottawa and McMaster this year - get the experience of doing an application...and if I'm lucky, maybe I'll get in? lol

B) Apply only to the next cycle when I will have written the MCAT - unfortunately, I will have graduated next year, so I will have to figure out what to do during the year that I'm applying. My question is do med schools frown upon people who take the extra year to apply and maybe just do a bit of travelling/work? Would they address that in interview?

C) Do both A) and B) in the case that I don't succeed the first time around - my main concern with this option is asking the referees for references the second time around. Has anyone had experiences with that? I would feel bad asking them to commit time to do something they've already graciously done the previous year. Is there any way to use the reference letters from the previous application cycle?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

for B)

no they may ask you how you spent your time, and if it was spent doing something worthwhile (including traveling), it should give you lots to talk about on your interview. they certainly wouldnt frown on it - unless you tell them you were raving every night and doing tons of coke or something

I would do option C. Definitely apply this cycle, you aare competitive for both ottawa and mac. Also, late august mcat means that you will find out your score before the omsas deadline of october 1. If at that point your score is good enough you might as well apply to the other schools as well. Queens and western no longer have questions so you just need put a check mark. I would prepare a toronto essay as well as you can get in with lower mcat cutoffs than western and queens. It's definitely worth it.

yeah do C. Nothing to lose and even though applying now will take a bunch of time, it saves loads of time if you have to do it a second time. I wouldn't worry about asking the references twice, if you wanted to be really safe, you could always ask them to keep a copy around just in case something happens, and then they would probably still have it for the next year. If they're good references, they probably wouldn't mind too much anyways.

And if it ends up being (B) and you have to reapply, just make sure you're doing something productive in the year off (travel, work, volunteer) and it will probably strengthen your application and interview. I think that non-student interviewers appreciate someone who actually has some real world experience outside of university. I know that my year of travelling and working gave me loads to talk about in my interview. I'm actually very happy I didn't get in the first time around (but also very happy i got in my second time around, as applying for a third time would've been a b1tch).

I agree with the posts above: do C!

there shouldn't be a problem asking for a reference the 2nd time around if you need it. just let your referees know that you plan on applying again if you arent' successful and to keep the letters handy. if you don't get in, then all your referees have to do is update the letter with any additional info.

i applied as a 3rd year applicant and wasn't successful. i had no problem getting a letter the 2nd time around in my 4th year from the same referees.

I suggest applying everywhere this year. You have a good GPA and you're an undergrad science student, so nothing on the MCAT should be new to you anyway. Even if you can't prepare as much as you'd like, your test score might meet some or all of the cutoffs for the Ontario schools.

If you take the MCAT and bomb it, you can just re-take it next year and you're no worse off than having skipped it.

Even with a bombed MCAT, you'd still have U of O and Mac, and 2/5 schools (assuming you're not from a rural area and therefore won't be getting in to NOSM in any situation) isn't bad!

Don't shoot yourself in the foot by waiting a year when you have two schools you're guaranteed to be eligible to apply to (Mac & U of O), and possibly all schools (depending on your MCAT). Unless there's something you really want to do next year before going to med school (e.g. travel/volunteer in a particular place, which is a perfectly valid reason to delay applying).

Thank you for all of your suggestions!

I think I'm just going to try this year and see what happens - heck, that's probably the best anyone can hope for. I guess I was just a bit fazed about the daunting work ahead...and so little time!

Another little question: how long do applications take usually? I'm trying to plan my days out in the proceeding weeks so I don't get behind on the work.

I wouldnt leave them for the last minute. You should try to submit it a day or two before its due because the servers really slow down. It can be pretty time consuming entering all your courses and marks and the 48 list of things. Spread it out. No work for western and queens. Toronto is an essay so that can take time. Mcmaster usually takes a few tries as you want your answers to those questions to be of a good quality and takes some effort to not go over the character limit while mentioning everything you think is important. Ottawa is the in detail sketch thing which can also take a bit of time but not much thinking required in that one.

Basically, try to start as soon as possible without it effecting your other stuff. If you get a start on it once your mcat is written, you should be fine.

yeah i found the best thing to get started on was start writing a list of things that you might want to include in your 48 items. I found there was stuff that i would forget about and remember later on and then I would add it to the list, and then if you need to cut it down eventually, you can have everything in front of you. There was stuff I didn't even remember about until my second time applying haha, so it might not be a bad idea to start writing down things that you may want to have in your 48 item list.

And just another tip, don't feel obligated to fill up all 48 items. I highly doubt that someone with all 48 has an advantage over someone with 40. It's pretty obvious if some stuff is just filler.

You'll learn things if you apply this year, even if unsuccessful. You will learn how to present your application better and just become a better applicant the second time around. If you interview, you will get a huge thing over with and be in better shape for next year (oh, and you might get in! :P).

Archived